PDA

View Full Version : Best way to go?

DawgBone
06-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take to Omaha from Starkville? I know one of the Memphis bridges is closed, so what alternate route should we take?

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 12:50 PM
Memphis wasn't bad for me

chainedup_Dawg
06-27-2021, 12:53 PM
We went Selmer to Jackson then on to Dyersburg, about 80 miles outside of St. Louis now

msstatelp1
06-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take to Omaha from Starkville? I know one of the Memphis bridges is closed, so what alternate route should we take?

Go thru Tupelo and hit 78/I-22. The easiest way is to stay on it until you hit Arkansas. It'll take you thru some rundown parts of Memphis but your biggest problem will be putting up with red lights. It'll change names to Lamar then E.H.Crump. Once it becomes Crump, get in the left lane and stay there until you cross the river.

West Tn Dawg
06-27-2021, 01:00 PM
We went Selmer to Jackson then on to Dyersburg, about 80 miles outside of St. Louis now

This will avoid Memphis totally! Not a lot of traffic either. Best way from Starkville.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Just don't go to Oxford first. Can't get to Omaha from there.

West Tn Dawg
06-27-2021, 01:07 PM

Best one today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R2Dawg
06-27-2021, 01:08 PM

I driven all the ways others have said. From Starkville I'd go 82 to I55 to Memphis, StLouis then 70 to KC then 29 to Omaha. If I was further northeast in MS I'd go up thru Jackson and Dyersberg to bypass Memphis.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-27-2021, 01:16 PM
I driven all the ways others have said. From Starkville I'd go 82 to I55 to Memphis, StLouis then 70 to KC then 29 to Omaha. If I was further northeast in MS I'd go up thru Jackson and Dyersberg to bypass Memphis.

If you don't mind 2 lane roads, you can get on 63 in Jonesboro AR and by-pass St Louis.

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 01:20 PM
If you don't mind 2 lane roads, you can get on 63 in Jonesboro AR and by-pass St Louis.

That's what I'm on. Beautiful country out here, but you get behind someone driving slow, and you never get around them lol

FISHDAWG
06-27-2021, 01:26 PM

Lol ... repped

FISHDAWG
06-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Good luck guys... the wife and I would be heading that way if it were possible... hopefully next year but thanks for representing the rest of us

R2Dawg
06-27-2021, 01:30 PM

Never done that but the interstate you can roll 80-85 usually. Bypass on St.Louis is very good. Unless you want to see the arch, go bypass. Bypass in KC is same way. If middle of day driving downtown KC may be a little shorter but don't do during rush hour. St.Louis is bad anytime of day going by downtown.

OLJWales
06-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Good Luck with the Journey to Omaha. As an old timer, I always thought the "Best Way to Go" was how the Yankee Clipper went out.
"

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Best way to go? Murdered by a jealous husband.

Cowbell
06-27-2021, 02:55 PM

Touche - good man

HereComesTheSpiral
06-27-2021, 06:10 PM
That's what I'm on. Beautiful country out here, but you get behind someone driving slow, and you never get around them lol

Brother has been stationed at Leonard Wood a few times so I've made that drive more than once. That route goes from best kept secret to I'm in meth town USA in the blink of an eye.

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Brother has been stationed at Leonard Wood a few times so I've made that drive more than once. That route goes from best kept secret to I'm in meth town USA in the blink of an eye.

Hahaha. For real.

Dawg_Lover
06-27-2021, 07:35 PM
It is not advisable to go Hwy 78 thru Memphis. I know my way around Memphis like the back of my hand, and I will not drive through there anymore. It is very high crime and dangerous no matter the time of day.

As long as you do not try to cross during high traffic times, you shouldn?t have much delay taking the I-55 bridge, in Memphis, to West Memphis. Routing around may cause you more travel time in the long run. Just avoid crossing between 7 & 9 am and 4 & 6 pm. According to all I have been hearing, delay times vary from 15 minutes to an hour, according to the time.

From Starkville, take I-22/Hwy78N to I-269, take I-269 west exit towards Tunica and I-55. This will connect you to I-55 between Hernando and Southaven. Next take I-55N into Memphis, take exit 6-B, which is where I-55 turns towards Arkansas and will take you over the I-55 river bridge. [Note: Do not get in the far left, fast lane, as it exits directly onto Riverside Dr, downtown Memphis.] From there, go your chosen route.

The new I-269, for those that don?t know, has been fantastic. It connects Hwy 61 above Tunica, I-55 below Southaven, I-40 well east of Memphis, and Hwy 51 in Millington. If you are traveling to Collierville, Nashville, or north of Memphis, it makes it so nice to bypass Memphis altogether. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.