PDA

View Full Version : Sims next year

preachermatt83
06-26-2021, 11:15 PM
He will be the most dominant Friday night guy in the sec. before you say ?no he will be a closer? , just trust me on this. Lemo made the statement ?he?ll strike out 160 next year?

Bulldog1
06-26-2021, 11:23 PM
I agree - needs to be in the rotation next year

CadaverDawg
06-26-2021, 11:24 PM
Is he adding a 3rd pitch? If not, he may only be effective for 3-4 innings per start throwing straight gas and sliders

Todd4State
06-26-2021, 11:25 PM
Literally everyone I know thinks he will be in the rotation next year.

He's going to pitch for Team USA this summer so it will be interesting to see how he is used with them.

BeardoMSU
06-26-2021, 11:25 PM
He will be the most dominant Friday night guy in the sec. before you say ?no he will be a closer? , just trust me on this. Lemo made the statement ?he?ll strike out 160 next year?

That would definitely be awesome. I'm just curious how he'd change his approach in that role. He'd have to change, right? He throws with so much effort, not sure how that translates to being a starter.

Todd4State
06-26-2021, 11:27 PM
Is he adding a 3rd pitch? If not, he may only be effective for 3-4 innings per start throwing straight gas and sliders

I'm sure he will. His fastball and slider are so nasty I think he could probably get through an order twice. He just needs kind of an emergency pitch that's average like a change up of some kind.

Todd4State
06-26-2021, 11:29 PM
That would definitely be awesome. I'm just curious how he'd change his approach in that role. He'd have to change, right? He throws with so much effort, not sure how that translates to being a starter.

Usually the biggest difference is warm up routine. Starting pitchers can take their time. Relievers usually have to be able to get up and down from time to time and be able to get ready quickly. Some can do one or the other and some can do both.

He'll get stronger in the offseason and he will be more durable. I think he will be fine even though he is max effort.

BeardoMSU
06-26-2021, 11:35 PM
Usually the biggest difference is warm up routine. Starting pitchers can take their time. Relievers usually have to be able to get up and down from time to time and be able to get ready quickly. Some can do one or the other and some can do both.

He'll get stronger in the offseason and he will be more durable. I think he will be fine even though he is max effort.

Ah, good points. thanks Todd.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 12:04 AM
Already been told he we will be a starter next year. It'll be best thing for him and us. It'll make him big money and give us a big time starter

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 12:43 AM
Already been told he we will be a starter next year. It'll be best thing for him and us. It'll make him big money and give us a big time starter

It just makes sense too. It's always dependent on who we get through the draft but Sims starting will take pressure off of Fristoe and Smith if they are in the rotation. I'm guessing the closer candidates will be Simmons, Stinnett, and Tepper. Maybe Lovett.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 12:53 AM
It just makes sense too. It's always dependent on who we get through the draft but Sims starting will take pressure off of Fristoe and Smith if they are in the rotation. I'm guessing the closer candidates will be Simmons, Stinnett, and Tepper. Maybe Lovett.

Definitely for all parties involved.

If Harding stick around I imagine he'll get one of the starting roles too

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 01:04 AM

He would absolutely be in the running. My hope is that Fristoe performs well for Team USA and has enough confidence to take a big step next year. But if something doesn't work out Harding is a great option. If not he he'll be a very important bullpen guy for us.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2021, 01:09 AM

From what I understand, Harding has already committed to a summer league team, so I'm pretty sure he'll be here next year. Great news for us if true.

Do you guys know if we have any good left handed pitching recruits coming in this year? We could use some more matchup guys for sure

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 01:20 AM
From what I understand, Harding has already committed to a summer league team, so I'm pretty sure he'll be here next year. Great news for us if true.

Do you guys know if we have any good left handed pitching recruits coming in this year? We could use some more matchup guys for sure

Pico Kohn is the best LH pitching prospect we have coming in for sure. Getting Maddux Bruns would be huge but he's a big draft risk. Bruns is a rotation candidate on day one if he comes to school.

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 01:22 AM
He needs to work on a third pitch this off-season. For those who know, how difficult is it to add pitches to your arsenal in just one offseason? Like how realistic would it be for him to add a change up?

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 01:38 AM
He needs to work on a third pitch this off-season. For those who know, how difficult is it to add pitches to your arsenal in just one offseason? Like how realistic would it be for him to add a change up?

He's already working on it and yeah he can do it. The thing is with his stuff it doesn't have to be a plus pitch just enough to show another pitch and to use on left handers.

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 01:42 AM
He's already working on it and yeah he can do it. The thing is with his stuff it doesn't have to be a plus pitch just enough to show another pitch and to use on left handers.

Knowing Landon and the kind of talent and worker he is, it'll probably be a plus pitch. I don't see that guy being average at anything lol

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 02:31 AM
Knowing Landon and the kind of talent and worker he is, it'll probably be a plus pitch. I don't see that guy being average at anything lol

Same here. Dude is driven!

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2021, 07:08 AM

Bednar doesn't really throw a third pitch unless you consider manipulating his slider as an almost curve ball as 3rd pitch.

My guess is that Sims adds a 3rd pitch this off season. A curveball or change up.

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2021, 07:12 AM
Sims pitches with intent not effort. Big difference. His delivery works.

Main reason why Sims will be a good starter is his fastball command is the best on our staff.

Not saying Sims will he Jack Leiter good, but there are a ton of similarities in their styles and pitch movement profiles. Currently they're very similar except Jack pitches more innings.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2021, 07:24 AM

Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson - all max effort guys off the top of my head. He will be fine. He was a starter his whole life until he came to State.

msstate7
06-27-2021, 07:39 AM
Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson - all max effort guys off the top of my head. He will be fine. He was a starter his whole life until he came to State.

You just listed 4 of the best pitchers of all time. I think Landon will be fine too, but probably shouldn't use that list to justify it. Sorta like you can be a lhp throwing upper 80s and be highly successful in mlb bc Tom glavine did it lol

TNDawg35
06-27-2021, 07:44 AM
Madden threw his change up maybe MAYBE 10 times the two times we have seen him this CWS. That’s all Sims needs. Just so they know it’s there…

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2021, 07:53 AM
You just listed 4 of the best pitchers of all time. I think Landon will be fine too, but probably shouldn't use that list to justify it. Sorta like you can be a lhp throwing upper 80s and be highly successful in mlb bc Tom glavine did it lol

That's kind of my point - four of the best ever were max effort guys. Why not equate it with some of the best ever if it shows it's not only possible, but you can be a HOF doing it? Especially when you have a guy like Sims who even ESPN was saying just last night is one of the top guys in the college game.

But, I'll put it in terms that make you feel better - there are max effort guys all over college baseball. We will likely face two of them this week.

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2021, 10:40 AM
Literally everyone I know thinks he will be in the rotation next year.

He's going to pitch for Team USA this summer so it will be interesting to see how he is used with them.

I would rather he rest the arm.

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2021, 10:43 AM

Cade, Sims, Fristoe, Smith. Depends who gets here as a freshman too.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 12:47 PM
Sims pitches with intent not effort. Big difference. His delivery works.

Main reason why Sims will be a good starter is his fastball command is the best on our staff.

Not saying Sims will he Jack Leiter good, but there are a ton of similarities in their styles and pitch movement profiles. Currently they're very similar except Jack pitches more innings.

Spot on Gun. Very simple and repeatable delivery too. He reminds me a lot of Nolan Ryan, very compact explosive delivery. His command is what separates him from our other pitchers. And he's a hard worker with drive.