PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Board

SteelCurtain74
06-25-2021, 12:56 PM
If we win the national title this year, do you think it will translate into another or even multiple national titles in the years to come? I'm curious as to what the "never won a national championship in any sport" mantra that is often cited about MSU plays on our baseball program? I'm sure for some of our players they don't even think about it but I will be surprised if it's not brought up at least once on tv if we make the finals.

I would like to think once the first one is won, it will allow future teams not to carry that pressure of being the 1st team to win a title. Not saying the road to the title is any easier, just the added pressure of being the 1st team to do it would not be there.

I compare it to LSU. Bertman started in 1984 but didn't make the College World Series until his 3rd year. Then they were regular participants in the CWS. When they won their title in 91' it seemed to have a trickle down effect to the following teams and they won 4 titles in 8 years. I realize a lot of that may be attributed to gorilla ball but nevertheless they still won the title.

Just curious what others may think.

RougeDawg
06-25-2021, 06:16 PM
Baseball is such a create your luck sport, it is hard to predict multiple championships. But it would draw in even more talent than we have. It would also create the preseason hype articles like Vandy got about their great pitching. This gets in some players heads and they think too much at the plate. They feel behind before the game starts. Baseball is the most thinking game of them all, and the media assistance definitely would sow seeds of doubt in opponents.

Just have to keep putting guys in the show and top rounds of the draft and sign some of these 1st round high school guys like lsu did with Crews. We have the pitching. Just need some 1st round position players for 3 years at a time and we can buy condos in Omaha.