PDA

View Full Version : Umpiring

jacobyjones5
06-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this was said in the game thread last night but I thought the umpire behind the plate was incredible compared to others we have seen this year. Would love for him to have the rest of our games

Tbonewannabe
06-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Not sure if this was said in the game thread last night but I thought the umpire behind the plate was incredible compared to others we have seen this year. Would love for him to have the rest of our games

He was pretty consistent which is all you can really ask for.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2021, 02:52 PM
The guy last night was the best I've seen so far. I've watched all the games and he was by far the most consistent

MadDawg
06-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Best I've seen this postseason.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Wasn't the guy last night an ex-MLB ump? If so, the more accurate strike zone makes more sense. College umps tend to make the plate much wider than MLB umps in my opinion

Leroy Jenkins
06-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Wasn't the guy last night an ex-MLB ump? If so, the more accurate strike zone makes more sense. College umps tend to make the plate much wider than MLB umps in my opinion

The outside corner was definitely a ball or two smaller than previous games. And the top of the zone was lower than others too, but he stuck with it. I thought he did good. I think he just didn't want any cheap strikes or free passes.

MetEdDawg
06-23-2021, 05:25 PM
You are seeing the issues in college now that referees and umpires who don't go through enough training aren't used to seeing the game at this speed consistently.

Some of these umps call pitches during the year once a week. That's not enough to get really good and consistent at it.

Leroy Jenkins
06-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Apparently umps at the corners need to receive more training checked swing calls.

WinningIsRelentless
06-23-2021, 05:34 PM
Apparently umps at the corners need to receive more training checked swing calls.

It doesn?t matter how many pitches an ump sees that will change outside corner. You can?t see the outside corner when you line up on the inside, it?s all off depth perception and feel.

Leroy Jenkins
06-23-2021, 05:45 PM
It doesn?t matter how many pitches an ump sees that will change outside corner. You can?t see the outside corner when you line up on the inside, it?s all off depth perception and feel.

No, I'm talking about. The umps at the infield corners on appeals.

shoeless joe
06-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Ump behind plate last nite had best college zone I’ve seen.

Martianlander
06-24-2021, 06:17 PM
The outside corner was definitely a ball or two smaller than previous games. And the top of the zone was lower than others too, but he stuck with it. I thought he did good. I think he just didn't want any cheap strikes or free passes.

I agree. He had a tight strike zone but was consistent for both teams and through the whole game. That's what you want. I can't stand it when a certain zone is a ball for 7 innings then all of a sudden it's a strike in 8 and 9.

Rex54
06-24-2021, 06:41 PM
The outside strike has gotten much better over the years. 5 years ago it was consistently batters box to batters box