PDA

View Full Version : Cade Smith

Cowbell
06-23-2021, 10:52 AM
How did Cade look last night? I didn't get to hear the game while he was pitching but it seems he may be part of the solution we need down the stretch.

Santiago
06-23-2021, 10:56 AM
How did Cade look last night? I didn't get to hear the game while he was pitching but it seems he may be part of the solution we need down the stretch.

Cade looked good. Had movement on his pitches. He was a little pumped up on a few pitches but still had a good inning.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2021, 11:13 AM
He's really good when he doesn't overthrow.

The next step for Cade is to trust his stuff. He's got good stuff & doesn't have to overthrow to have success. Once he trusts his stuff & has that confidence to throw it in the strike zone, he'll take off. He's good enough, but I'm not entirely sure he realizes that completely yet

basedog
06-23-2021, 12:56 PM
He's really good when he doesn't overthrow.

The next step for Cade is to trust his stuff. He's got good stuff & doesn't have to overthrow to have success. Once he trusts his stuff & has that confidence to throw it in the strike zone, he'll take off. He's good enough, but I'm not entirely sure he realizes that completely yet

He knows, he just got to pumped up which is understandable for only pitched for 12 innings this year. Foxhall and even the Doctor in Birmingham that examined him with his elbow injury have told him to quit thinking he is 6'5" and 250 lbs and not over throw. Scouts love his ability (in high school) to throw his breaking ball for strikes at anytime. Like I have stated before, he is a strike thrower and competitor, in time he has a chance to be pretty good. Btw, his Dad was a catcher who signed with Delta State, he has helped him grow as a pitcher and doesn't try to over coach or even coach him. Cade is smart, honor role student so he is quick learner. Pitching in the Cape after the CWS should really help him.
I'm trying hard to stay in my lane and like you guys I'm watching from the sidelines.

P.S. I have a old high school buddy who is the uncle to Hunter Hines, kid from Madison Central. Apparently this kid has a chance to be really good, what do you know about him Shotgun? He hit .500 plays first base and has power. His bro n law is CT Bradford, interesting.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 01:00 PM
base, what all pitches does Cade throw? 2 pitch guy or 3 pitch guy? He looked great last night by the way. I know it would be a lot to ask, but I'd feel more comfortable with him starting than MacLeod at the moment

Dawg_Lover
06-23-2021, 01:04 PM
He knows, he just got to pumped up which is understandable for only pitched for 12 innings this year. Foxhall and even the Doctor in Birmingham that examined him with his elbow injury have told him to quit thinking he is 6'5" and 250 lbs and not over throw. Scouts love his ability (in high school) to throw his breaking ball for strikes at anytime. Like I have stated before, he is a strike thrower and competitor, in time he has a chance to be pretty good. Btw, his Dad was a catcher who signed with Delta State, he has helped him grow as a pitcher and doesn't try to over coach or even coach him. Cade is smart, honor role student so he is quick learner. Pitching in the Cape after the CWS should really help him.
I'm trying hard to stay in my lane and like you guys I'm watching from the sidelines.

P.S. I have a old high school buddy who is the uncle to Hunter Hines, kid from Madison Central. Apparently this kid has a chance to be really good, what do you know about him Shotgun? He hit .500 plays first base and has power. His bro n law is CT Bradford, interesting.

Well said, by an honest and proud Papa.

basedog
06-23-2021, 01:27 PM
base, what all pitches does Cade throw? 2 pitch guy or 3 pitch guy? He looked great last night by the way. I know it would be a lot to ask, but I'd feel more comfortable with him starting than MacLeod at the moment

He has been mostly a two pitch guy but is working on a change. His breaking ball is his out pitch because he has the ability to throw it anytime. He is pretty consistent 92 mph (can touch 94) but I think in time that will even improve. He is still growing and getting stronger. I may be wrong but if he hadn't been injured a week before season, he would have started several games. I will say he pitched a lot of travel ballgames against some of the best players across the country. Also he has never been over pitched, only started pitching in 9th grade, was a catcher like his Dad.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 01:32 PM
He has been mostly a two pitch guy but is working on a change. His breaking ball is his out pitch because he has the ability to throw it anytime. He is pretty consistent 92 mph (can touch 94) but I think in time that will even improve. He is still growing and getting stronger. I may be wrong but if he hadn't been injured a week before season, he would have started several games. I will say he pitched a lot of travel ballgames against some of the best players across the country. Also he has never been over pitched, only started pitching in 9th grade, was a catcher like his Dad.

Man if he develops a change to go with that heater and curve, he will be dangerous. Already is. I could easily see him being Saturday guy next year, but without the return of one of our current starters, or great improvement by Fristoe, he may be Friday. Who knows.

basedog
06-23-2021, 01:45 PM
Man if he develops a change to go with that heater and curve, he will be dangerous. Already is. I could easily see him being Saturday guy next year, but without the return of one of our current starters, or great improvement by Fristoe, he may be Friday. Who knows.

Not taking anything away from Jackson or any other starter, but before injury Cade was rated the highest of all newcomers. He was in top 7 before injury. Foxhall told him after injury they were not going to push him this year but they were heavily counting on him next year. I think if all goes well he will be in the Sec weekend starting role. Again it is his ability to throw strikes., quick worker much like Sims, give me the ball and get out of the way, LOL!

ScoobaDawg
06-23-2021, 02:09 PM
Great stuff... I wouldnt be surprised if he's called in for more work over the next few games, especially if we have to do it the tough way..

MSUdawg67
06-23-2021, 02:50 PM
He was recorded with the win last night. Can only imagine what it must feel like to have been pitching in high school last year and then 12 months later getting a win in the College World Series in front of 20,000-plus fans. Cade has a bright future. I can't wait to watch him develop.

Cooterpoot
06-23-2021, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't be scared to use him as long relief. He and Hootie for 3 innings each is a solid recipe in my book. As much or more confidence in him than Mac at this point too.

Cowbell
06-23-2021, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't be scared to use him as long relief. He and Hootie for 3 innings each is a solid recipe in my book. As much or more confidence in him than Mac at this point too.

100% agree with this

Cowbell
06-23-2021, 04:11 PM
Not taking anything away from Jackson or any other starter, but before injury Cade was rated the highest of all newcomers. He was in top 7 before injury. Foxhall told him after injury they were not going to push him this year but they were heavily counting on him next year. I think if all goes well he will be in the Sec weekend starting role. Again it is his ability to throw strikes., quick worker much like Sims, give me the ball and get out of the way, LOL!

Thanks for sharing insight with us. I wish we had a relative of every player on this board.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Thanks for sharing insight with us. I wish we had a relative of every player on this board.

Would be awesome. Until one of their kids is called foam bat or something, then it could turn sour haha

Cowbell
06-23-2021, 04:28 PM
Would be awesome. Until one of their kids is called foam bat or something, then it could turn sour haha
We already have that with Rex - gotta be Hatcher's dad

The Federalist Engineer
06-23-2021, 04:37 PM

I really like Cade, Jackson and Mikey as the next rotation with Harding hopefully staying another year.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 04:45 PM

Haha

mparkerfd20
06-23-2021, 05:04 PM

I think you meant Hatcher's mom.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2021, 05:19 PM
Cades been impressive in the post season. I wished we would've left him in last night instead of bringing in Simmons. I imagine we see Cade more in this cws and I'm confident he'll get it done when called. Got a bright future!

Coach34
06-23-2021, 07:33 PM
I really like Cade, Jackson and Mikey as the next rotation with Harding hopefully staying another year.

Harding is scheduled to pitch summer ball- which means he is planning on returning at this point. Cade/Harding/Fristoe could be a really good SEC rotation next Spring.

Cade looked good and will get nothing but better. Having some catcher in his blood likely means he has the mental toughness needed on the mound. Love that.

basedog
06-23-2021, 08:10 PM
Harding is scheduled to pitch summer ball- which means he is planning on returning at this point. Cade/Harding/Fristoe could be a really good SEC rotation next Spring.

Cade looked good and will get nothing but better. Having some catcher in his blood likely means he has the mental toughness needed on the mound. Love that.

+1 Coach. He has that competitive drive. Level headed and grounded. Oh how he loves MSU which always helps. Wouldn’t even visit other schools.

Coach34
06-23-2021, 08:20 PM
+1 Coach. He has that competitive drive. Level headed and grounded. Oh how he loves MSU which always helps. Wouldn’t even visit other schools.

We typically have a large number of guys that play for the love of the game- but also the love of that jersey they wear. That's another difference between us and the Bearfins.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2021, 08:24 PM
We typically have a large number of guys that play for the love of the game- but also the love of that jersey they wear. That's another difference between us and the Bearfins.

Yep and it shows every year on the field.