PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Signs

HaggardDawg
06-23-2021, 07:21 AM
Steve talked about on Boneyard but I was thinking this last night, UVA could have known our pitch signs.

MetEdDawg
06-23-2021, 07:24 AM
People need to stop talking about other teams knowing pitch signs when they score runs on us. Feel like that's happened entirely too much over the last month.

Teams get hits and runs in baseball. It happens. It's not easy to steal signs in college. I've been able to do it a couple times when I was coaching high school ball. But it's not easy to do in college anymore when everyone has gone to the number system with the cheat sheet.

TNDawg35
06-23-2021, 07:30 AM
People need to stop talking about other teams knowing pitch signs when they score runs on us. Feel like that's happened entirely too much over the last month.

Teams get hits and runs in baseball. It happens. It's not easy to steal signs in college. I've been able to do it a couple times when I was coaching high school ball. But it's not easy to do in college anymore when everyone has gone to the number system with the cheat sheet.

I agree with you while heartidly, but I will say it was awful funny how they were sitting on Mac curve and stuff. Then they just went cold when he came out of the game. Makes me Wonder if he was tipping them. Some of their swings looked just like they knew what was coming. But that is part of it. Even if they were stealing signs. Who cares.

Rex54
06-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Even if they were stealing signs. Who cares.

Correct. If they aren't using technology or people in the stands to relay it then it's on us to prevent it.

Santiago
06-23-2021, 07:49 AM
It did seem they were onto the tendencies of Mac, despite his pitches looking a little flat.

HaggardDawg
06-23-2021, 08:14 AM

I?m not mad about it. I hope we have guys studying other teams signs and the pitchers tendencies. But I do hope we?re changing the signs up if that?s the case and it does makes sense how regardless of the count they knew when the off speed was coming

Cooterpoot
06-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Nobody stole signs last night. Mac couldn't locate or throw his curve. Everything was up and getting hammered.

StarkVegasSteve
06-23-2021, 08:20 AM
It did seem they were onto the tendencies of Mac, despite his pitches looking a little flat.

They did the same thing as every other team that has had success on him. They sat off speed. The book is out on him if you can be patient at the plate. It's the same reason why he usually doesn't make it through the lineup more than twice.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-23-2021, 08:38 AM
Macleod was throwing BP when he could throw a strike had nothing to do with stealing signs.

Tbonewannabe
06-23-2021, 08:40 AM
Nobody stole signs last night. Mac couldn't locate or throw his curve. Everything was up and getting hammered.

Yep. His location wasn't there and his curve had no bite to it. He just didn't have it.

Hot Rock
06-23-2021, 08:43 AM
The stealing signs thing was real in the Arkansas series. That information came from sources outside of Mississippi State.

That's on State and the coaches to make adjustments. We most likely will never know about that stuff fully but it's part of the game.

I don't think it was the problem last night but we may never know for sure.

The Federalist Engineer
06-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Steve talked about on Boneyard but I was thinking this last night, UVA could have known our pitch signs.

Jay Powell said Mac's pitches had no break.

"I think that was a curve ball, but it looked like a flat off-speed pitch"

They feasted on Mac

CadaverDawg
06-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Smart by them if they did. Wish we could have stolen Mcgarry's signs...although it doesn't really matter if you know what's coming when the stuff is that good.

RocketDawg
06-23-2021, 09:36 AM
Correct. If they aren't using technology or people in the stands to relay it then it's on us to prevent it.

Correct. It's part of baseball, and up to us to prevent them getting or signs. This isn't golf where the players report their own mistakes and play by the book. As you say, if it's some sort of technology, then come down on the guilty team; otherwise, devise some way to keep our signs secret.

Percho
06-23-2021, 10:23 AM

Are you saying, the sign is, if it is sitting on a tee, hit it?

KOdawg1
06-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Maybe we should start stealing signs. Would cause less stress. As long as you're not using technology or anything like that, there's nothing wrong with. Part of the game.

RougeDawg
06-23-2021, 01:34 PM
If each team does not have a group of players on the bench trying to pick up the signs, the coaches aren?t doing their job. Usually have 3-5 watching the opposing coaches, catcher and pitcher to see if you can pick up on anything. Usually you put your more intelligent players on this. The ones who can study a scouting report and not need a card or arm band between pitches. Once you learn the scouting report, you then look to see if the pitcher is following it or not. Then you start looking for signals and subtle changes on the different pitches.

Such as, is it a 1-2 second pause on a FB, Curve, Changeup Etc. College pitchers typically do something different on different pitches. You just have to figure that out. Once you do it a few times it becomes much easier. You can also do this on predicting what the offense is trying to do. Steal, hit and run, bunt for a hit etc. it?s the game within the game that makes watching in person fun for me.

Opening night of Biloxi shuckers, I yelled out pick for Shuckers pitcher and the guy got picked. Coaches all looked up over the dugout to see who called it because none of them did. Was paying attention to 3B coaches signals and subsequent lead of the dude on first. On the 4-5th pitch the coach used a different signal pattern and the runner got a half step shorter lead. Told me he was going. Sure enough he was going on movement and it?s wasnt close. Patterns and changes in patterns are how you pick up pitches and offensive plays.

Homedawg
06-23-2021, 01:35 PM

No. He just got lit up. That's it.