PDA

View Full Version : It really is embarrassing

shoeless joe
06-21-2021, 09:32 AM
As someone who cares more about the game of baseball than all other sports combined it is a real shame that on the biggest of stages games can be won or lost based on total incompetence of an umpire.

Make no mistake, we were fortunate to come out on top in the 9th. Sims was forced to record 5 outs, and against a good team, which Texas is, that comes back to bite you. Notice that espn didn’t use the K Zone box so far this year when they have used it in the past. That is solely a result of not overly exposing the poor officiating. I will give credit to the announcers however because they didn’t hold back over a missed strike call throughout the game.

I?ve made post after post in the past about how terrible college umps are but how there can be no adjustments or accountability at this level doesn’t make sense. So much time and effort goes into the season by players and coaches, and then money by fans to travel to only have official incompetence potentially decide a game instead of play on the field.

State82
06-21-2021, 09:35 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. It is atrocious and ridiculous.

Rex54
06-21-2021, 09:35 AM
It was really bad last night though we benefitted from some calls too. I actually thought earlier in the season they were decent but it's gotten worse as the year has gone on. You can't have that level of incompetence in Omaha.

Extendedcab
06-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Given the way the 9th inning went, I am not sure it is incompetence more than it is a bias against certain teams!

shoeless joe
06-21-2021, 09:47 AM
It was really bad last night though we benefitted from some calls too. I actually thought earlier in the season they were decent but it's gotten worse as the year has gone on. You can't have that level of incompetence in Omaha.

Both teams a pitchers benefitted from a big zone all nite. Then all of a sudden it had to be thrown into a tea cup in the 9th. That is where the frustration comes thru. Be big…call strikes…but do it all game. Cannot ask pitchers and hitters to adjust throughout the game to different strike zones. Establish it early and then maintain.

Exact same thing is what happened in 19 against cole Gordon.

Cooterpoot
06-21-2021, 09:49 AM
I think it was Vandy who won due to the same situation they benefited from.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2021, 09:54 AM
Both teams a pitchers benefitted from a big zone all nite. Then all of a sudden it had to be thrown into a tea cup in the 9th. That is where the frustration comes thru. Be big…call strikes…but do it all game. Cannot ask pitchers and hitters to adjust throughout the game to different strike zones. Establish it early and then maintain.

Exact same thing is what happened in 19 against cole Gordon.

This. The most you can hope for is consistency. If it's gonna be a big zone do it the whole game, if it's gonna be tight do it the whole game. There's no way for pitchers or hitters to make adjustments if the ump is all over the place from inning to inning or even pitch to pitch. As an old umpire baiter myself all you want is consistency. There's never a lot of complaining if an ump is consistent.

Jack Lambert
06-21-2021, 10:04 AM
After the way he got abused by foul balls he was probably flinching everytime the ball was thrown. Also I noticed that when State was at bat TX catcher blocked the Upire several times from being able to see the ball.

parabrave
06-21-2021, 12:12 PM
As someone who cares more about the game of baseball than all other sports combined it is a real shame that on the biggest of stages games can be won or lost based on total incompetence of an umpire.

Make no mistake, we were fortunate to come out on top in the 9th. Sims was forced to record 5 outs, and against a good team, which Texas is, that comes back to bite you. Notice that espn didn’t use the K Zone box so far this year when they have used it in the past. That is solely a result of not overly exposing the poor officiating. I will give credit to the announcers however because they didn’t hold back over a missed strike call throughout the game.

I?ve made post after post in the past about how terrible college umps are but how there can be no adjustments or accountability at this level doesn’t make sense. So much time and effort goes into the season by players and coaches, and then money by fans to travel to only have official incompetence potentially decide a game instead of play on the field.
Even the SEC Now guys said that the Ump squeezed Sims in the 9th/

confucius say
06-21-2021, 12:17 PM
It's amazing to me we don't have a robot strike zone in 2021.

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2021, 12:42 PM
FWIW:

Jay Powell said the Strike Zone was fair, of the most part, and was about as good as can be expected.

He also said, the strike zone completely shrunk on Sims in the 9th. He was almost dead meat because the ump had him squeezed.

Jay did not exactly say "dead meat" or "squeezed" that's me, my paraphrase of the post-game commentary. It made me think of the 2019-Louisville game where Cole Gordon was basically squeezed into a blown save.

shoeless joe
06-21-2021, 12:57 PM
FWIW:

Jay Powell said the Strike Zone was fair, of the most part, and was about as good as can be expected.

He also said, the strike zone completely shrunk on Sims in the 9th. He was almost dead meat because the ump had him squeezed.

Jay did not exactly say "dead meat" or "squeezed" that's me, my paraphrase of the post-game commentary. It made me think of the 2019-Louisville game where Cole Gordon was basically squeezed into a blown save.

That’s exactly what happened. Zone was consistently big until bottom 9.

We are not talking about being squeezed however…we are talkin about flat missing big momentum swinging pitches because these guys aren’t good enough to handle the moment. I recall in 19 people talkin about us needing to execute better, when in reality Gordon executed exactly what he was trying to do but a bad ump…who calls every year in the CWS…was too chicken shit to make the same calls he’d made all game. In fact the K Zone was in use that game and two pitches were clearly inside of that zone…which is smaller than what a college ump typically calls.

And to top it all off the ncaa has completely hamstrung coaches from being able to make their point about this incompetence. So it will continue until something changes in regards to umpiring at this level. Hopefully, since MLB is reducing lower level minor league team and are utilizing college ball as a training ground they can come up with someway to use college umpiring as a pathway to the bigs. That will improve things drastically and immediately.

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2021, 08:01 PM
That’s exactly what happened. Zone was consistently big until bottom 9.

We are not talking about being squeezed however…we are talkin about flat missing big momentum swinging pitches because these guys aren’t good enough to handle the moment. I recall in 19 people talkin about us needing to execute better, when in reality Gordon executed exactly what he was trying to do but a bad ump…who calls every year in the CWS…was too chicken shit to make the same calls he’d made all game. In fact the K Zone was in use that game and two pitches were clearly inside of that zone…which is smaller than what a college ump typically calls.

And to top it all off the ncaa has completely hamstrung coaches from being able to make their point about this incompetence. So it will continue until something changes in regards to umpiring at this level. Hopefully, since MLB is reducing lower level minor league team and are utilizing college ball as a training ground they can come up with someway to use college umpiring as a pathway to the bigs. That will improve things drastically and immediately.

What has the NCAA done to the coaches

Lord McBuckethead
06-22-2021, 01:07 AM
Basically 17n told them to absolutely not question balls and strikes. Or criticize officiating. Huge fines for public criticism and immediately thrown out of the game.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
06-22-2021, 06:50 AM
We had a historic pitching night and still almost lost the game because of bad calls behind the plate.

WinningIsRelentless
06-22-2021, 07:59 AM
Ok the guy missed a few calls out of 300 plus pitches. It happens. I?m willing to bet every single one of y?all have never called a game beyond the high school level.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2021, 08:39 AM
Ok the guy missed a few calls out of 300 plus pitches. It happens. I?m willing to bet every single one of y?all have never called a game beyond the high school level.

I don't think it is missing calls. He changed his strike zone which is the big issue. Bad officiating also cost us a National Title in Women's basketball. If the refs had kept calling fouls the way they had in the first half, we beat Notre Dame by 30 points for a Title. Instead they started calling every touch foul up until Morgan got tackled with no whistle.

Gutter Cobreh
06-22-2021, 08:52 AM

Sure, he missed some calls throughout the game - but the zone was definitely squeezed in the 9th. It happened again last night in the Vandy/NC State game.

My guess is that the umpires don't want to end the game on a called strike, instead hoping there is a swing and miss or a force out in the field. There is absolutely no other explanation.

smootness
06-22-2021, 08:53 AM
There are times it has merit and times it doesn't, but honestly, complaints about officiating and how they cost us games are just the worst. There's no solution and all it provides is a constant rehashing of disappointment and failures. We win and lose on the merits.

WinningIsRelentless
06-22-2021, 08:55 AM
I don't think it is missing calls. He changed his strike zone which is the big issue. Bad officiating also cost us a National Title in Women's basketball. If the refs had kept calling fouls the way they had in the first half, we beat Notre Dame by 30 points for a Title. Instead they started calling every touch foul up until Morgan got tackled with no whistle.

He missed one call in the bottom of the 9th that he had called a strike all night.

Dolphus Raymond
06-22-2021, 10:27 AM
As long as an umpire has a consistent strike zone, I?m good. Obviously, that is not the case.

shoeless joe
06-22-2021, 01:48 PM
He missed one call in the bottom of the 9th that he had called a strike all night.

It is not an isolated incident. And remember the guys calling the CWS are supposed to be the best?they may very well be but they are horrible. If you don?t recognize it then you don?t watch much college baseball.

Generally college umps have big zones?which is good. Call strikes. But to call a pitch two balls off the plate a strike but then miss one that?s knee high right down the pipe. These are the best college baseball teams in the country that have worked their tails off to get to this point and then to have it come down to some jackwagon that?s not good at his job should be unacceptable.

And as I type this the home plate ump gives Texas a warning for chirping about a bad zone. Of course we can point to the 9th against Louisville in 19 and don?t forget that dusty old codger we had in the Vanderbilt super in 18.

BuckyIsAB****
06-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Basically 17n told them to absolutely not question balls and strikes. Or criticize officiating. Huge fines for public criticism and immediately thrown out of the game.

So these guys have basically 0 accountability for their jobs but make twice as much as me. Got it

Coach34
06-22-2021, 03:08 PM
The umpiring in the CWS has been far superior to what I've watched during the SEC season.

Hot Rock
06-22-2021, 03:20 PM
I don't know why we don't have electronic strike zones by now. It's nuts. MLB should have done it years ago.

The CWS, Super Regionals and Regionals should use it but since there are 299 D1 teams that can afford 11.7 scholarships I would be willing to bet the majority of those don't want to pay for it for the regular season for 10's of fans that show up to games.

Bubb Rubb
06-22-2021, 03:45 PM

Make no mistake, we were fortunate to come out on top in the 9th. Sims was forced to record 5 outs, and against a good team, which Texas is, that comes back to bite you. Notice that espn didn?t use the K Zone box so far this year when they have used it in the past. That is solely a result of not overly exposing the poor officiating. I will give credit to the announcers however because they didn?t hold back over a missed strike call throughout the game.

I?ve made post after post in the past about how terrible college umps are but how there can be no adjustments or accountability at this level doesn?t make sense. So much time and effort goes into the season by players and coaches, and then money by fans to travel to only have official incompetence potentially decide a game instead of play on the field.

If you love the game this much, then you understand that umpires are human and therefore imperfect, and that imperfect element is as much a part of the game as fastballs, pepper games, and spitting.

We benefitted greatly from that umpire the other night - he was a big reason Bednar was almost unhittable. I hated the missed call in the ninth too, but things always even out.

shoeless joe
06-22-2021, 04:39 PM
If you love the game this much, then you understand that umpires are human and therefore imperfect, and that imperfect element is as much a part of the game as fastballs, pepper games, and spitting.

We benefitted greatly from that umpire the other night - he was a big reason Bednar was almost unhittable. I hated the missed call in the ninth too, but things always even out.

Just like my last post…this wasn’t an isolated event.

There is nothing more frustrating than an ignorant or arrogant umpire that doesn’t do a good job. I have always said I’d take an ass hole ump that is good all day. If you don’t wanna hear any chirping then be better. There are so many layers to this but if you think I made this post based on a single call from the other nite then you haven’t been paying attention.

We did benefit…and so did Texas, because he had a big zone. Then the zone changed. Again these are supposed to be the best available. And I am sure they are…but it lets you know there is a major issue. The announcers in today’s game were very clear that they feel the same way.

Bubb Rubb
06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Just like my last post…this wasn’t an isolated event.

There is nothing more frustrating than an ignorant or arrogant umpire that doesn’t do a good job. I have always said I’d take an ass hole ump that is good all day. If you don’t wanna hear any chirping then be better. There are so many layers to this but if you think I made this post based on a single call from the other nite then you haven’t been paying attention.

We did benefit…and so did Texas, because he had a big zone. Then the zone changed. Again these are supposed to be the best available. And I am sure they are…but it lets you know there is a major issue. The announcers in today’s game were very clear that they feel the same way.

I'll leave bitching about umpires to northern miss fans. It's embarrassing when ours do it. We are better than them and should act like it.

shoeless joe
06-22-2021, 04:57 PM
I'll leave bitching about umpires to northern miss fans. It's embarrassing when ours do it. We are better than them and should act like it.

That’s fine.

But my stance on this is based on an overall issue within the sport.

Coach34
06-22-2021, 07:29 PM
again- best umpiring we've seen all year in Omaha. Cant complain at all.

shoeless joe
06-22-2021, 09:55 PM
again- best umpiring we've seen all year in Omaha. Cant complain at all.

Guy behind the plate tonite is prolly best most consistent zone I’ve seen at this level.

shoeless joe
06-25-2021, 02:51 PM
BUMP!!!

Absolute chicken shit display by these umps.

For the record the guy behind the plate is same guy that blew the calls for Gordon in the 9th in 19. Just gave rocker 6” off the corner for a K

Travelingdawg
06-25-2021, 02:58 PM
Yep, that can?t even get a foul or fair correct. They just took a double away from a kid and gave Rocker a strike out instead.