PDA

View Full Version : Looking at our next game vs Virginia

CadaverDawg
06-21-2021, 12:13 AM
Obviously we're going with MacLeod. I would imagine we will have the full pen available for a chance at starting 2-0. Who will we be facing from Virginia? RHP or LHP? Going to have to hit the ball to win the next one. It would be awesome if we could find a way to win, and do it without throwing Sims. He threw 50+ tonight, so in a perfect world we would use MacLeod, Johnson, and maybe Stinnett...get a W, and have a well rested Hootie and Sims for game 3. Tons of "ifs" there, but how do you guys see us pitching it on Tuesday? I still think hitting is key....gotta come out and swing the dang bats

TNDawg35
06-21-2021, 12:28 AM
Can’t hold anything back. If we need Sims in the 9th, he gets the ball. No questions about it. We babied his arm all year for this tournament. Now I don’t think I would throw him 3 Innings, but he def gets the ball in the 9th no questions asked.

I don’t think Virgina is all they are made up to be. I think TN choked and Vitello is packing his bags for the Bayou…

smootness
06-21-2021, 07:18 AM
I would think we'll see Mike Vasil. He's a RHP with a 4.82 ERA, fewer than 9 K/9, and a WHIP of 1.53.

He seems to be their #2 guy. However, they do have seemingly all their best pens arms fresh and ready, so we may not see him for long.

Dawgology
06-21-2021, 07:24 AM
I would think we'll see Mike Vasil. He's a RHP with a 4.82 ERA, fewer than 9 K/9, and a WHIP of 1.53.

He seems to be their #2 guy. However, they do have seemingly all their best pens arms fresh and ready, so we may not see him for long.

That?s what I?m thinking also. We will need to jump on them early and then hold on.

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2021, 07:26 AM
Vasil plus all their pen. They did not use their best reliever vs Tennessee

UVA is fresh and ready to go

Cooterpoot
06-21-2021, 07:56 AM
VA lost in both the regional and supers. They aren't that good. Probably weakest team in it overall but they do have a pen. They burned their best pitcher in game one and they don't have a good starter behind him. More confident than I was about TX and I was confident about that game.

basedog
06-21-2021, 08:07 AM
7-5 type game Tuesday. Mac needs to have his command, with wind blowing out don't walk anyone.

Dolphus Raymond
06-21-2021, 08:51 AM
How long before Simms can pitch again?

Captain Falcon
06-21-2021, 09:04 AM
Actually expect UVA to start Griff McGary. He started Game 2 of their Super and was outstanding, 7 shutout innings with 10 K's. His numbers for the season are not great, though. He is basically their version of Cerantola. Major command issues at times, but when he is on, his stuff is electric.

Patient AB's will be the key against a guy like him.

Captain Falcon
06-21-2021, 09:05 AM

I would imagine he can throw an inning or so tomorrow if needed.

ShotgunDawg
06-21-2021, 09:15 AM

I think you'd rather save him for our next game after Virginia. He threw close to 60 pitches last night. I'd be pretty surprised if we used him on Tuesday

PGHBulldogBG
06-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Before knowing much about Lemonis, Brian O?Connor was my first choice for our coach. I was never on that Schloss/Tadlock/McDonnell bandwagon. It?s going to be a tough game. LSU is crazy for not putting O?Connor as number 1 on their list unless I missed it and he already turned them down early

Jack Lambert
06-21-2021, 09:19 AM
VA lost in both the regional and supers. They aren't that good. Probably weakest team in it overall but they do have a pen. They burned their best pitcher in game one and they don't have a good starter behind him. More confident than I was about TX and I was confident about that game.

ND swept them in the regular season.

chef dixon
06-21-2021, 09:23 AM
ND swept them in the regular season.

ND is the best team we've played in the post season so far and probably will be unless we face Vandy or Arizona in the title series.

Captain Falcon
06-21-2021, 09:35 AM
I think you'd rather save him for our next game after Virginia. He threw close to 60 pitches last night. I'd be pretty surprised if we used him on Tuesday

Disagree. A day off between games should make him fine for an inning if needed. And he gets two days off afterward if we win. This game is too important to have Sims watching from the dugout if it's a close game. A win means you get two shots to win one more game and you're in the championship. A loss means you have to win three games in three days and burn through a ton of pitching just to get to the finals on fumes.

Ideally it's a blowout win and we don't need him but it's clearly difficult to bank on something like that at this stage of the tournament.

Rex54
06-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Sims can go 2 tomorrow, easy.

If Mac can give us 4 we can go Preston, Houston, Sims to finish her up granted we have the lead. Hopefully Mac stretches out longer but after 4 he needs to have an incredibly quick hook

preachermatt83
06-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Can’t hold anything back. If we need Sims in the 9th, he gets the ball. No questions about it. We babied his arm all year for this tournament. Now I don’t think I would throw him 3 Innings, but he def gets the ball in the 9th no questions asked.

I don’t think Virgina is all they are made up to be. I think TN choked and Vitello is packing his bags for the Bayou…

I think you are right!

preachermatt83
06-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Actually expect UVA to start Griff McGary. He started Game 2 of their Super and was outstanding, 7 shutout innings with 10 K's. His numbers for the season are not great, though. He is basically their version of Cerantola. Major command issues at times, but when he is on, his stuff is electric.

Patient AB's will be the key against a guy like him.

This

Commercecomet24
06-21-2021, 10:09 AM
You have to win the first 2 games, so you pull out all the stops, whoever we need has to be available. Brian O'Connor said it best if you win the first game and lose the second game it really doesn't matter because you've put yourself in a bind.

Rex54
06-21-2021, 10:21 AM
The real question is..... Do you plug in Hatcher at 1st base

PMDawg
06-21-2021, 10:41 AM

Why is that even a question, much less "the real question"?

Cowbell
06-21-2021, 10:58 AM
I think that Kenny Powers may still be available for them - he could be a problem

CadaverDawg
06-21-2021, 11:00 AM
MacLeod and the bats. Get decent run support and about 5 strong from Mac, we should be in good shape. Short outing for Mac and only 2-3 runs won't cut it

StarkVegasSteve
06-21-2021, 11:03 AM
As others have stated, we need Mac to go at the minimum 5. The big thing with Will doing what he did was it allowed us to save Preston, Brandon Smith, Stinnett, and Simmons. So the bullpen outside of Landon is fully rested. A perfect world would be Mac for 6, Preston for 1+, Brandon to finish the 8th if needed, and on to Landon in the 9th.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2021, 11:30 AM
As others have stated, we need Mac to go at the minimum 5. The big thing with Will doing what he did was it allowed us to save Preston, Brandon Smith, Stinnett, and Simmons. So the bullpen outside of Landon is fully rested. A perfect world would be Mac for 6, Preston for 1+, Brandon to finish the 8th if needed, and on to Landon in the 9th.

I think Brandon Smith has to drop down in the bullpen rotation. He hasn't been the same since he came back from that early season issue with his arm.

CadaverDawg
06-21-2021, 11:53 AM
I think Brandon Smith has to drop down in the bullpen rotation. He hasn't been the same since he came back from that early season issue with his arm.

I agree. He's supposed to have sink but he's given up quite a few nukes lately

Commercecomet24
06-21-2021, 12:00 PM
I agree. He's supposed to have sink but he's given up quite a few nukes lately

Yeah doesn't have the same movement on any of his pitches. His pitches just haven't had the same quality since he came back from that sore arm earlier in the season. Right now it scares me if he has to come into a close game.

smootness
06-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Sims can go 2 tomorrow, easy.

If Mac can give us 4 we can go Preston, Houston, Sims to finish her up granted we have the lead. Hopefully Mac stretches out longer but after 4 he needs to have an incredibly quick hook

Sims can definitely give us an inning or two if needed. If we're up 7, sure, try to avoid throwing him. But if we're up and it's at all close, he has to be ready to go.

But you don't throw Harding in that game unless you feel it absolutely necessary. Game 2 is bigger than Game 3, but it would still be fantastic to be able to win and let Harding go in the next one.

And the more I look at it, the more I have no idea who UVA will throw. It looks like Vasil only threw 1 inning of relief in the SR, so maybe they've moved on from him as a starter. And McGarry has pitched well at times but has also been very dicey at times. So they may go with him, but if they do, I like our chances. I like our chances regardless if MacLeod is even somewhat on.

Homedawg
06-21-2021, 12:10 PM

Is this a joke? I know you love the guy but still......

Cowbell
06-21-2021, 12:19 PM
I think that Kenny Powers may still be available for them - he could be a problem

I take it you guys are not aware of their Kenny powers impersonator / he's pretty cool

confucius say
06-21-2021, 12:25 PM
Before knowing much about Lemonis, Brian O?Connor was my first choice for our coach. I was never on that Schloss/Tadlock/McDonnell bandwagon. It?s going to be a tough game. LSU is crazy for not putting O?Connor as number 1 on their list unless I missed it and he already turned them down early

He turned them down per Maineri.

And sims threw 51 pitches. Not 60.

StarkVegasSteve
06-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Yeah doesn't have the same movement on any of his pitches. His pitches just haven't had the same quality since he came back from that sore arm earlier in the season. Right now it scares me if he has to come into a close game.

Yea, his effectiveness is directly related to can he get sink on the ball. If it's not him then you're only other options are Stinnett and Patrick. Patrick scares me a lot more than Stinnett. He's good for a HR allowed per appearance. Might could throw Cade Smith out there if we had a comfortable lead. Looked good against ND, although it was a low leverage situation.

shoeless joe
06-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Good news is we got absolutely nothing from Allen and Tanner and very little from rowdey. Let them get a hit or two a piece and our offense is totally different. I like our chances. The win in game 1 and the opponent game 2 are vastly different than in 19.

HoopsDawg
06-21-2021, 07:14 PM

MacLeod, Preston Johnson,Stone Simmons and Stinnett would be the guys I use tomorrow. Come on Mac, pound the zone.

Coach34
06-21-2021, 07:31 PM

Hilarious. Our line-up isnt changing the rest of this season.

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2021, 07:48 PM
Is this a joke? I know you love the guy but still......
If Luke isn't looking to drive the ball, might as well go Hatcher. I mean tell the dude to cut the shit and drive the ball to the gap. I am tired of our 1st basemen slapping at it.

chef dixon
06-21-2021, 08:00 PM
If Luke isn't looking to drive the ball, might as well go Hatcher. I mean tell the dude to cut the shit and drive the ball to the gap. I am tired of our 1st basemen slapping at it.

Luke is easily one of our best offensive players

MoreCowbell
06-21-2021, 09:10 PM
I take it you guys are not aware of their Kenny powers impersonator / he's pretty cool

I saw the interview with him. He is funny but is he supposed to be really good?

MoreCowbell
06-21-2021, 09:11 PM

Luke has been fine. Clarke looked lost though

Gutter Cobreh
06-21-2021, 09:18 PM

We can just distract him w/ some dippin dots... :)

Cowbell
06-21-2021, 09:32 PM
We can just distract him w/ some dippin dots... :)

It almost worked before lol

Cowbell
06-21-2021, 09:33 PM
I saw the interview with him. He is funny but is he supposed to be really good?

He was good that game lol - reason he was being interviewed

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2021, 10:10 PM
Delete

Reply to the wrong thing

ShotgunDawg
06-21-2021, 10:12 PM

Need to use Cade Smith. He's got the best stuff after Sims out there

HoopsDawg
06-21-2021, 10:38 PM

Wow. We don't win Game 1 without Luke's hit.

HoopsDawg
06-21-2021, 10:39 PM
Need to use Cade Smith. He's got the best stuff after Sims out there

Cade is the future but not the present.

ShotgunDawg
06-21-2021, 11:02 PM
Cade is the future but not the present.

That's our own fault. He's significantly better than the middle relievers we've been using to bridge to Smith. Johnson & Smith aren't the answer unless the wind starts blowing in

preachermatt83
06-21-2021, 11:10 PM
That's our own fault. He's significantly better than the middle relievers we've been using to bridge to Smith. Johnson & Smith aren't the answer unless the wind starts blowing in

Agree about Brandon smith. Disagree completely about Preston. I think Preston is one of our best arms.

mparkerfd20
06-22-2021, 08:53 AM
Has Virginia posted who they are pitching tonight? Will it be the LHP Nick Savino: 3.86 ERA, 3-3, 53.2 IP, 33/15 K/BB, .269 bavga? Or are they going with a righty in either Griff McGarry: ERA 6.06, 0-5, 35.2 IP, 61/40 K/B, .225 bavga - OR - RHP Mike Vasil: 4.82 ERA, 7-5, 74.2 IP, 65/17 K/B, .311 bavga?

None of those guys really scare me just looking at the numbers. Griff looks like a "wild thing" version of Cerantola and while Vasil is their number 2, teams have hit him pretty well this year. I kinda expect to see the Lefty.

Cowbell
06-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Has Virginia posted who they are pitching tonight? Will it be the LHP Nick Savino: 3.86 ERA, 3-3, 53.2 IP, 33/15 K/BB, .269 bavga? Or are they going with a righty in either Griff McGarry: ERA 6.06, 0-5, 35.2 IP, 61/40 K/B, .225 bavga - OR - RHP Mike Vasil: 4.82 ERA, 7-5, 74.2 IP, 65/17 K/B, .311 bavga?

None of those guys really scare me just looking at the numbers. Griff looks like a "wild thing" version of Cerantola and while Vasil is their number 2, teams have hit him pretty well this year. I kinda expect to see the Lefty.

Griff it is with likely a quick hook - he can touch 100

Cowbell
06-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Agree about Brandon smith. Disagree completely about Preston. I think Preston is one of our best arms.

Agree with this

mparkerfd20
06-22-2021, 09:19 AM
Griff it is with likely a quick hook - he can touch 100

So Cerantola from last year? Just be patient and I think we can get him.

StarkVegasSteve
06-22-2021, 09:29 AM

A "wild thing" version of Cerrantola?? Is that even possible??

CadaverDawg
06-22-2021, 09:33 AM
So Cerantola from last year? Just be patient and I think we can get him.

That's what worries me. We aren't good at being selective. And when we are, we select to take the fastball down the pipe, and select not to take the curveball in the dirt. If MacLeod can give us a good start, it should allow our guys time to let their guy implode, but early runs seem to make our team aggressive quickly

CadaverDawg
06-22-2021, 09:33 AM
A "wild thing" version of Cerrantola?? Is that even possible??

Haha no it's not

chef dixon
06-22-2021, 09:39 AM
McGarry also had a blister that was bleeding like hell during his super regional start

SaintDawg
06-22-2021, 09:53 AM
247 is reporting its gonna be McGarry. They said it on Out of Bounds this morning too

smootness
06-22-2021, 10:10 AM
So Virginia is rolling the dice with their Cerantola. He's pitched better recently and was really good in the SR, but overall he's been all over the place. 61 K in 35 IP, but also 40 BB, 8 WP, and 4 HBP. So it could blow up fast on them.

StarkVegasSteve
06-22-2021, 10:17 AM
So Virginia is rolling the dice with their Cerantola. He's pitched better recently and was really good in the SR, but overall he's been all over the place. 61 K in 35 IP, but also 40 BB, 8 WP, and 4 HBP. So it could blow up fast on them.

As others have stated, patience will be key. I like our chances with that because outside of Kam the top 4 in our order are pretty patient, also if we barrel one up it's going somewhere and it's getting there in a hurry.

They burnt a really big bullet on Sunday against Tennessee so I doubt we see their closer until at least the 8th and hopefully we've put it away by that point.

Cowbell
06-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Or we will make him look like an all-American

Commercecomet24
06-22-2021, 11:19 AM
As others have stated, patience will be key. I like our chances with that because outside of Kam the top 4 in our order are pretty patient, also if we barrel one up it's going somewhere and it's getting there in a hurry.

They burnt a really big bullet on Sunday against Tennessee so I doubt we see their closer until at least the 8th and hopefully we've put it away by that point.

We grind at bats and don't strike out much. I like our chances against a pitcher that lacks command.

PMDawg
06-22-2021, 12:21 PM
Or we will make him look like an all-American
This. They're not MSU, so their gamble on their version of Cerentola will pay off. Haha

OLJWales
06-22-2021, 02:10 PM
We gone stick our boot so deep up Cavalier Ass they gone taste it.