PDA

View Full Version : MSU Baseball Omaha Third Times a Charm Thoughts

Todd4State
06-15-2021, 11:59 PM
I was fortunate enough to be there and like I told the guy next to me it still feels good to win and go to Omaha. Never gets old.

Now for the wet blanket- I don't think we have the team to win it all this year. BUT I like where our program is headed. This team is like Cohen's 2011 team. It's kind of a collection of players from different staffs but they're gritty and they play hard and they have some talent.

The reason I don't think we will win is because of our starting pitching. We have got to get better outings out of MacLeoud and Bednar period. Harding gutted it out although I think one of his runs could have been possibly avoided if he had been throwing on the side while we were scoring six runs on them in that long inning. Landon Sims was outstanding other than his mistake to Niko. Sims really is fun to watch. Just absolutely electric stuff and he attacks hitters unlike every other pitcher on the staff. Simmons disappointed me. Preston did OK- not sure why Foxhall had a mound meeting after he get strike one on a guy and appeared to be in a groove and then next pitch Johnson gets ripped. Brandon Smith and Chase Patrick weren't great either. Cade Smith looked very promising. I don't think most of our pitchers fit Foxhall's philosophy of pitching up in the zone and that's why we give up so many home runs- and also why we get so many strike outs. I do think that the guys he is bringing in like Smith and Fristoe do fit that mold but they have to just mature as pitchers and they will in time.

Logan Tanner is a future first round pick in 2022. Enjoy him while he is here. I wouldn't be shocked if he hits 20 home runs next year. And clutch too! Game winning home run in game one and then his home run in game three took the wind out of their sails and set off the Dude effect in full force. And he shuts down the running game completely as well. Our corner infield is scary defensively. But we need Kam James and Luke Hancock's bats in the line up. I think Kam will be in the outfield next year and Hancock will be back at DH. Hancock is more of a contact guy even though his batting average is down and he hit 10 home runs. He usually has good at bats though. Kam is still a work in progress and I think he takes off next year once he finds a position and gets even more AB's. Forsyth held his own defensively even though he isn't ready at the plate. He's going to be a good player for us. Dubrule has been solid even though I would have liked to have seen him hit over .300 for us.

TA and Rowdey are special players and they both played like it this SR. Both had big catches in the OF that killed momentum for Notre Dame and both hit big home runs. Rowdey I think went O-for and still scored a run and drove in one in game three. Both have delivered all year long. Brad Cumbest has had a nice year. He's starting for us next year. Kellum Clark may have been another guy to hit 10 home runs for us had he been healthy early in the year. Another guy with a bright future for MSU. I think he's probably an outfielder because that's where we have been playing him instead of first or third where we need help as well.

I have been to every MSU regional/SR championship game since 1985 and that atmosphere was by far the best and craziest I have ever experienced at Dudy Noble. The fans absolutely brought it all series long. And Notre Dame was stupid for saying that they were going to come in here and go 2-0 because they had a "chip on their shoulder". What an idiot. Reminded me of when Clemson was mad that they didn't host in 2007. Pretty much the same result. I think the new stadium us more electric than the old one. I'm not sure why. I remember people being afraid of that not being the case when we changed over. It's awesome to see what our program has become. And thank you Greg Byrne and John Cohen for saving MSU baseball and thanks Cohen for bringing in the right guy in Chris Lemonis. I really can't wait to see what he does when he gets "his" guys in. Gentlemen get second and third mortgages on your trailer and sell your wife's boyfriend's prosthetic legs because I have a feeling we're going to Omaha a lot more. This is just the beginning.

Cowbell
06-16-2021, 12:38 AM
We can beat everyone in Omaha. This team may be the team to win it. We had some teams that should have won it and didn't and so it's only fitting that a team we doubt will be the one that finally gets it.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Good stuff, Todd. By the way, has anybody ever seen Kellum Clark and the guy from "We're the Millers" at the same time? Pretty sure they're the same guy.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/47/00/60470042798ab56c74e97827f2870de6.jpg

PCHSDawg
06-16-2021, 12:42 AM
I'm going to hope for the best and expect the worst, seems to be the best way to remain sane as a State fan.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 12:46 AM
What are you guys thinking for next year? If Todd is right about Clark and Kam, then it could be this....

Outfield:
Cumbest
Clark
James
I don't think James will be in the outfield. We would have no true CF'er with that group in my opinion.

Infield:
Forsythe
?
?
?
Tanner
I'd like to see Kam and Clark be corner infielders. I don't think we give up on Kam at 3rd...I know some will think I'm nuts saying that.

Pitching:
Fristoe
Hooty?
Sims
Cade Smith
Simmons
Stinnett
Who am I forgetting?

I actually wasn't disappointed in Simmons like you were. Notre Dame was a fast ball hitting machine. Simmons should have stuck with the hook bc they weren't touching it. Coaches should have quit calling for the heater. But his locating and ability to bounce back amd finish that inning was big in my opinion. Striking out Niko on a fastball after getting several smoked showed that he wasn't scared or a mental midget like some of our other pitchers (like the Canadian)

DownwardDawg
06-16-2021, 01:22 AM
What are you guys thinking for next year? If Todd is right about Clark and Kam, then it could be this....

Outfield:
Cumbest
Clark
James
I don't think James will be in the outfield. We would have no true CF'er with that group in my opinion.

Infield:
Forsythe
?
?
?
Tanner
I'd like to see Kam and Clark be corner infielders. I don't think we give up on Kam at 3rd...I know some will think I'm nuts saying that.

Pitching:
Fristoe
Hooty?
Sims
Cade Smith
Simmons
Stinnett
Who am I forgetting?

I actually wasn't disappointed in Simmons like you were. Notre Dame was a fast ball hitting machine. Simmons should have stuck with the hook bc they weren't touching it. Coaches should have quit calling for the heater. But his locating and ability to bounce back amd finish that inning was big in my opinion. Striking out Niko on a fastball after getting several smoked showed that he wasn't scared or a mental midget like some of our other pitchers (like the Canadian)

Bednar?? Is he returning?

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 10:02 AM
Bednar?? Is he returning?

I think Bednar will leave, although he could greatly benefit his draft stock with another year as our Ace. But I'll defer to Todd and others on that. Is MacLeod gone?

HoopsDawg
06-16-2021, 10:31 AM
I think Bednar will leave, although he could greatly benefit his draft stock with another year as our Ace. But I'll defer to Todd and others on that. Is MacLeod gone?

Bednar will probably be a first rounder in this draft.

StarkVegasSteve
06-16-2021, 10:39 AM
I agree that this isn't our most talented team to ever make it, but I was talking to some buddies last night and we all agreed that this might be the team to get it done. There's not one team in this field that I don't think we match up well with and can beat. We've already beaten Texas and did it very convincingly.....I'd imagine they're having some sleepless nights thinking about what Landon Sims did to them. He absolutely shoved it. And with UT....well I think our team will be plenty fired up to play that one. We go 2 and 0 and have Harding waiting for whoever makes it out and get past that and hopefully we get Vandy. We have plenty of unfinished business with those boys.

Again, it's not our most talented team but the bracket is set up really well for them as long as we keep winning.

DownwardDawg
06-16-2021, 11:02 AM
I agree that this isn't our most talented team to ever make it, but I was talking to some buddies last night and we all agreed that this might be the team to get it done. There's not one team in this field that I don't think we match up well with and can beat. We've already beaten Texas and did it very convincingly.....I'd imagine they're having some sleepless nights thinking about what Landon Sims did to them. He absolutely shoved it. And with UT....well I think our team will be plenty fired up to play that one. We go 2 and 0 and have Harding waiting for whoever makes it out and get past that and hopefully we get Vandy. We have plenty of unfinished business with those boys.

Again, it's not our most talented team but the bracket is set up really well for them as long as we keep winning.

I agree with everything except I don’t want Vandy. Only due to that insufferable whistling.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Bednar will probably be a first rounder in this draft.

Really? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought he had done enough this year to warrant that, but I guess potential plays a big role as well.

StarkVegasSteve
06-16-2021, 11:43 AM
I agree with everything except I don’t want Vandy. Only due to that insufferable whistling.

The chance to shut that mouth breather up is worth the risk.

OLJWales
06-16-2021, 12:21 PM
I am sure our coaches and players know they have the tools in place to win it all. I share their confidence as a fan.

Tbonewannabe
06-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Really? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought he had done enough this year to warrant that, but I guess potential plays a big role as well.

I wonder if his brother pitching for the Pirates gives him any bump in draft status. He has a nasty slider and throws it consistently around 95. He is about what Dakota Hudson was but just not as polished as Dakota was as a junior.

Pinto
06-16-2021, 06:08 PM
I think this team wins it all because no one has thought they?d win all year. We have pages of threads of people doubting them and yet they made it to Omaha. No people are expecting nothing out of them in Omaha, which to me means they might just win it all.

Mjoelner34
06-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Preston did OK- not sure why Foxhall had a mound meeting after he get strike one on a guy and appeared to be in a groove and then next pitch Johnson gets ripped.

The first thing I thought of was when Stans called timeout after Barry Stewart's made first FT late in the SEC tournament against UGA. Iced him and he missed the 2nd one.

RougeDawg
06-16-2021, 06:49 PM

If you start our 2-0 you have enough days between games to start the game 1 starter again. Also the days off can allow you to extend Sims a little more in game 1, if needed to lock up the W. Will get at least a days rest.

The CWS game schedule sets up well for this staff, if they stop giving free passes and the offense comes to play. The only kicker is the championship series if we get that far. Need to hope for an early Vandy exit to increase the odds.

ETA. Whenever Cumbest gets a little more upward finish in his swing, he’s going to start taking people out in the LFL. Dude has the highest exit velo I saw in any post season games. He hits lasers and when his swing evolves, he will be a 20+ HR guy easy.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 06:57 PM
So with the gap in play, would that allow us to use Hooty from the pen in Game 1 or 2? When would Game 3 be if we fall into the losers bracket?

RougeDawg
06-16-2021, 07:08 PM
So with the gap in play, would that allow us to use Hooty from the pen in Game 1 or 2? When would Game 3 be if we fall into the losers bracket?

Pretty sure there are days off on each side of the bracket until next weekend. Can rest pitchers a lot. Helped UCLA get to championship when they beat us.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2021, 07:28 PM
Pretty sure there are days off on each side of the bracket until next weekend. Can rest pitchers a lot. Helped UCLA get to championship when they beat us.

Would be a game changer if we were able to use Harding first out of the pen behind Bednar. Then we could use Johnson out of the pen behind MacLeod game 2, and come back with Harding game 3 if enough time between games

Todd4State
06-17-2021, 01:45 AM
I think Bednar and MacLeoud both leave. Bednar should if he is a first rounder. MacLeoud I think should come back.

As far as next year- Kam is going to work on playing third base in the Cape. I know I said that I think he should be moved to the OF and I will also say that I think that the staff will look at that in the fall. Call me crazy but I think Kam might be able to play CF because of his athleticism. It probably will be someone like Skinner though.

I agree that Cumbest will explode next year. He reminds me a little bit of Hunter Renfroe without the freakish arm.

As far as Omaha- I think Lemonis would just go Bednar, MacLeoud and if we win the first two then go to Harding. No way to know because we haven't been in that situation before with him as head coach, so just a guess.

Choctaw Dawg
06-17-2021, 07:33 AM
I think Bednar and MacLeoud both leave. Bednar should if he is a first rounder. MacLeoud I think should come back.

As far as next year- Kam is going to work on playing third base in the Cape. I know I said that I think he should be moved to the OF and I will also say that I think that the staff will look at that in the fall. Call me crazy but I think Kam might be able to play CF because of his athleticism. It probably will be someone like Skinner though.

I agree that Cumbest will explode next year. He reminds me a little bit of Hunter Renfroe without the freakish arm.

As far as Omaha- I think Lemonis would just go Bednar, MacLeoud and if we win the first two then go to Harding. No way to know because we haven't been in that situation before with him as head coach, so just a guess.

It really isn't that far fetched to see Kam play CF next year. Dude has elite speed on this team and has more steals than anyone on the team and its not even close.

Cumbest has an incredibly high ceiling, and his arm is pretty damn good too. The Hunter Renfroe comparison is a good one for him

HoopsDawg
06-17-2021, 09:02 AM
It really isn't that far fetched to see Kam play CF next year. Dude has elite speed on this team and has more steals than anyone on the team and its not even close.

Cumbest has an incredibly high ceiling, and his arm is pretty damn good too. The Hunter Renfroe comparison is a good one for him

Kam will be at 3B next season. He may even work at SS this summer.

Captain Falcon
06-17-2021, 01:13 PM
I just feel like people keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team and all they do is keep winning. It has been said all year that they aren't actually that good, yet they won 20 SEC games, were a Top 8 seed, and just took down one of the best 5 or so teams in the country in a Super Regional.

At a certain point the results are what they are, and the results indicate that this is one of our best teams in school history. If Bednar and MacLeod pitch well in Omaha then we are every bit of a title contender.

StarkVegasSteve
06-17-2021, 03:13 PM
I just feel like people keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team and all they do is keep winning. It has been said all year that they aren't actually that good, yet they won 20 SEC games, were a Top 8 seed, and just took down one of the best 5 or so teams in the country in a Super Regional.

At a certain point the results are what they are, and the results indicate that this is one of our best teams in school history. If Bednar and MacLeod pitch well in Omaha then we are every bit of a title contender.

It's all comes down to hitting once you get out there. Pitching is definitely important, but go back to 2019, two of our three games we got great starts out of Small and Ginn yet our offense could never really get going and it finally caught up to us in the Louisville game.

MoreCowbell
06-17-2021, 03:18 PM
Kam will be at 3B next season. He may even work at SS this summer.

I hope Cumbest realizes the potential he has in baseball and is a ?football player? in scholarship only. He could be great

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2021, 03:44 PM
I hope Cumbest realizes the potential he has in baseball and is a ?football player? in scholarship only. He could be great

Agreed. We need Cumbest playing fall baseball and getting a ton of reps. 25 homers next year. Let's go.

StarkVegasSteve
06-17-2021, 04:02 PM
Agreed. We need Cumbest playing fall baseball and getting a ton of reps. 25 homers next year. Let's go.

That'd be great except he'd have to give up his football scholarship which would probably mean he'd have to pay his own way to play baseball.

Jack Lambert
06-17-2021, 04:15 PM
This is the third trip for a lot of these guys. We have never been able to say that. They know the field they are playing on.

Schultzy
06-17-2021, 04:21 PM
Isn’t 1st base the obvious spot for Kam going forward?!

Coach34
06-17-2021, 04:56 PM
I said it in March and I say it now. I dont think anybody can beat Vandy in that ballpark 2/3 if it continues to have the wind tunnel its had since opening

KOdawg1
06-17-2021, 04:58 PM

I feel like we'd be wasting his athleticism over there. Not that first basemen aren't athletic, but 3B or a corner outfield spot just makes more sense with Kam imo.

MoreCowbell
06-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Watching Texas highlights, they play on an all turf field, totally different than real grass. Something to keep an eye on. They steal a lot of bases but you are much faster on fake shit than the real stuff

Todd4State
06-18-2021, 01:32 AM

Not likely because we have Von Seibert and Hunter Hines coming in and they potentially profile there. Kam is very athletic like KO said so it makes sense to try him somewhere that translates like third base or the outfield.

Hambone
06-18-2021, 05:54 AM
I don’t see Kam playing a 3rd position in 3 years. He’s going to get his fielding worked on over the summer. I’m guessing he stays at 3rd.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2021, 08:26 AM
I said it in March and I say it now. I dont think anybody can beat Vandy in that ballpark 2/3 if it continues to have the wind tunnel its had since opening

If we get to the Champ Series and match up with Vandy we just have to be patient with Rocker. We rocked him early and then started letting him get ahead in counts and let him have advantageous 1-2 counts. Later in the game we did a lot of 1st and 2nd pitch hitting. I feel like we did better against Leiter early in the ball game raising the pitch count but also not swinging at junk and giving ourselves hitters count which is why we were able to chase him so early.

HoopsDawg
06-18-2021, 10:18 AM
I don’t see Kam playing a 3rd position in 3 years. He’s going to get his fielding worked on over the summer. I’m guessing he stays at 3rd.

exactly. people act like a college 3rd basemen should never make an error. Dude has a cannon and made a play in the Regionals that no one else on our team could have made from deep 5 hole.

CadaverDawg
06-18-2021, 10:31 AM
exactly. people act like a college 3rd basemen should never make an error. Dude has a cannon and made a play in the Regionals that no one else on our team could have made from deep 5 hole.

Yeah I don't see Kam moving, and I don't think he's nearly as bad over there as our fans make it out. My question is, can Clark play 1B? He seems to have the build, but I dont know if he can actually play it and play it at a high level, bc we haven't seen it. Does anybody know where he projects in the field? I saw 3B/corner infield mentioned early in the season, but we had spots open at both this year and they refused to give him a shot at either, only DH

HoopsDawg
06-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Yeah I don't see Kam moving, and I don't think he's nearly as bad over there as our fans make it out. My question is, can Clark play 1B? He seems to have the build, but I dont know if he can actually play it and play it at a high level, bc we haven't seen it. Does anybody know where he projects in the field? I saw 3B/corner infield mentioned early in the season, but we had spots open at both this year and they refused to give him a shot at either, only DH

He can play 1B, Corner OF, or DH. Hoping someone like Hunter Hines can win the 1B job. And of course Luke is back as a 1B, DH. We need to hit the transfer portal for 2 or 3 players. UT just got a guy from Mizzou. I'm sure recruiting has been tough since we are still playing baseball.

Tbonewannabe
06-18-2021, 12:34 PM

His biggest problem has been rushing throws or throwing off balance.

HoopsDawg
06-18-2021, 12:43 PM
His biggest problem has been rushing throws or throwing off balance.

Polk is going to work with him this summer.

RougeDawg
06-18-2021, 06:55 PM

Rocker has a fat flat fastball. Not sure why more teams just don?t sit that and rip it. Sit fastball until 2 strikes. And use a smaller 2 strike swing the entire at bat. He is supplying the power. Just make contact out in front of the plate with a relaxed swing. The ball will jump like a HR derby with that fat pitch. Turn it around and it?ll fly.

Leiter has much better stuff and movement and will be the better pro. Rocker may not ever make it to the Bigs unless someone teaches him how to get some movement. He just simply over powers college hitters. If he brings that to the minors, they?ll have to invest in more baseballs.

OLJWales
06-18-2021, 08:21 PM
I want Vandy to go to hell and die. Take their NCAA Cock Boys too.