PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis

preachermatt83
06-15-2021, 10:42 AM
Regardless of what happens All you Lemonis haters need to admit your insanity. What this man is doing is legendary. I?ve been saying since we hired him, he will be the next Dan McDonnell. The list of things hes done here in two full years is Literally staggering. Pay this man 1.2 mil and leave him alone.

MetEdDawg
06-15-2021, 10:48 AM
This all day. Best tactician and reader of a team that we've had over the last 2 decades I think.

He pushes the right buttons and knows his players. Constantly trying to see what works best so that when it's go time, he's got a fair evaluation of what he has to work with.

I do think he will have his work cut out for him next year but you have to be impressed with what he's done so far.

Todd4State
06-15-2021, 11:13 AM
Louisville seems to be in a decline since the players Lemonis has recruited have left.

This team even though they are clearly better and the situation isn't the same is in some ways similar to our 2011 team that Cohen had that went to a SR. We have a mix of recruits from Cann and Henderson and are playing some freshman and have a transfer at second base. It's basically a hodge podge of scrappy players. Based on recruiting Lemonis is bringing in more power hitters and power arm pitchers like Fristoe, Cade Smith, and Tepper. I think some of our pitching struggles are because some of our guys don't quite completely fit Foxhall's philosophy and we need guys that can run it up there with a little more velo for it to work like it's supposed to. See Landon Sims. Defense does need to improve but we're also playing our corner infielders out of their natural positions and have a freshman shortstop. That's kind of a recipe for shaky defense.

In short- the future if very bright.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Regardless of what happens All you Lemonis haters need to admit your insanity. What this man is doing is legendary. I?ve been saying since we hired him, he will be the next Dan McDonnell. The list of things hes done here in two full years is Literally staggering. Pay this man 1.2 mil and leave him alone.

I think there are no Lemonis "haters", just some non Lemonis "worshipers".

Nobody has said he is a bad coach (find the post?), some have wondered if he is not a "great" coach. He has a great demeaner and I certainly like the stability, all solidly "very good".

It was in the context of deciding between: Player Motivation, Team Focus, SEC Championship not being a Motivation, Defensive Crispness, and 2021 Pitching staff development.

"Staggering" is a stretch in my opinion. He inherited 3 First Round Picks, 6 overall single-digit draft picks, maybe another two this year, an SEC POY, Jake Mangum, New Stadium, and an Omaha Team. Yeah, he could have Moorehead'ed the program, that would be a "bad" coach.

Is MSU beating Notre Dame at Home in a Super Regional staggering to you? Then you must thing somebody that beat Vanderbilt in a Super Regional in Nashville should be coaching the Yankees, like Henderson.

He is putting together accomplishments and pieces of achievement that is trending to "Greatness", I can concede that. He's doubled the Omaha trips of Bianco and did not need 50 years to do it. Due to baseball recruiting practices, he does not have a true Lemonis class yet, this year is probably 75% Lemonis, they have not played yet.

smootness
06-15-2021, 11:53 AM
We have 12 CWS trips ever. In 2 years Lemonis has 2 of them.

We act like the CWS is our birthright, but it really isn't in terms of our history. Our program is in the best shape it's ever been in by far. Cohen is primarily the person to credit, but several others deserve a lot of credit as well, and Lemonis seems to have refined the train.

Anonymous
06-15-2021, 12:20 PM
Pay the man. Make sure the buyout is such that he isn?t even being looked at by other schools.

Then if things are still good in year 4 with a team full of his guys, make him the highest paid Baseball coach we?ve ever had.

TNDawg35
06-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Pay the man. Make sure the buyout is such that he isn?t even being looked at by other schools.

Then if things are still good in year 4 with a team full of his guys, make him the highest paid Baseball coach we?ve ever had.

What other schools would realistically walk into Starkville and take our baseball coach? What job is better? Dudes dad went to State, he played at the citadel and they ain’t paying him what we pay now. Not a single team is gonna come after our coach and poach him. We are ****in college baseball dude… (in my opinion of course)

OLJWales
06-15-2021, 01:28 PM
Good thread Preach. I wouldn't trade with any other college baseball program despite no nattys.

MoreCowbell
06-15-2021, 01:31 PM
What other schools would realistically walk into Starkville and take our baseball coach? What job is better? Dudes dad went to State, he played at the citadel and they ain’t paying him what we pay now. Not a single team is gonna come after our coach and poach him. We are ****in college baseball dude… (in my opinion of course)

You are not wrong.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2021, 01:37 PM

This.

Anonymous
06-15-2021, 02:10 PM
What other schools would realistically walk into Starkville and take our baseball coach? What job is better? Dudes dad went to State, he played at the citadel and they ain?t paying him what we pay now. Not a single team is gonna come after our coach and poach him. We are ****in college baseball dude? (in my opinion of course)

I?m not even saying that he would leave, I don?t think that?s the case. My point is you want to move forward in a way that it isn?t even in the cards, because even rumors can have an impact on your teams and recruiting. You don?t want his name out there every year like McDonnel, Tadlock, Sully, etc? Only paying a coach, who has gone to Omaha in his first 2 years, 600k is begging for his agent to keep his name out there to test the water and negotiate a raise.

That being said, nothing is ever for sure. McMahon left, Florida is constantly having to sweat the threat of losing Sully, Ole Miss is about to lose Bianco (albeit to his alma mater). Hell, Vandy is still having to fight Corbin rumors on an annual basis. He wouldn?t be the first coach to keep their name on the market even though they had no intent of ever leaving, hello Tim Tadlock.

Again, I don?t think Chris is going anywhere. My point was to try and make sure it isn?t even a possibility.

ArrowDawg
06-15-2021, 02:26 PM
I'm anxious to see what Lemonis does with teams made up entirely of his recruits, but I feel confident he'll do great based on the fact that his classes are ranked highly and he's done a great job with the group he inherited. This year's team to me was going to be a more improbable Omaha team than Lemonis' first team in 2019, but he took us to a national seed and got us there again anyway. That has to say something about his coaching ability, doesn't it? If he's really the recruiter that Cohen and everyone else claims Lemonis is, then this program should be set up for a long haul of success that we never even experienced under Polk. As it is, we're going to Omaha for our third straight full season. A THIRD of our trips all-time have happened since and including 2013. Throw in the best stadium and atmosphere in college baseball and the "Dude Effect," and I see no reason why we can't expect to keep making fairly regular trips to Omaha. The more trips, the better the chance we finally get a title.

One last note. I've had my concerns about John Cohen as AD, but one thing I'll never question is what he did to save MSU baseball. Everything from reviving the team when he was coach to the stadium getting built, just everything. He set us on a path for unprecedented success.

WinningIsRelentless
06-15-2021, 02:40 PM
The whole staff is getting big bumps. Chris Will be over 7 figures and Jake and Foxhall will be north of what most mid level schools pay hc.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2021, 02:55 PM
The whole staff is getting big bumps. Chris Will be over 7 figures and Jake and Foxhall will be north of what most mid level schools pay hc.

Sounds right - Lemonis is now a Multi-CWS guy. The SEC wins are also standout. I especially like the staff

Cheese is basically awesome with catchers. He’s stewarding Logan Tanner to 1st round pick status. He fixed Skelton as a fast turnaround.

Captain Falcon
06-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Sounds right - Lemonis is now a Multi-CWS guy. The SEC wins are also standout. I especially like the staff

Cheese is basically awesome with catchers. He’s stewarding Logan Tanner to 1st round pick status. He fixed Skelton as a fast turnaround.

If Gautreau ever leaves I expect we would promote Cheese to hitting coach as well (which he was at Indiana) and hire a new volunteer assistant. Cheese does a great job and he’s Lem’s boy.

Turfdawg67
06-15-2021, 03:51 PM

Nobody has said he is a bad coach (find the post?), some have wondered if he is not a "great" coach.

https://i.postimg.cc/yxkWfnvG/68741020-275-B-4533-A755-18624-D1-A3422.jpg

Here ya go... and before you say "Okay one guy", save it, there are more but I'm not wasting my time.

TNDawg35
06-15-2021, 04:25 PM
I'm anxious to see what Lemonis does with teams made up entirely of his recruits, but I feel confident he'll do great based on the fact that his classes are ranked highly and he's done a great job with the group he inherited. This year's team to me was going to be a more improbable Omaha team than Lemonis' first team in 2019, but he took us to a national seed and got us there again anyway. That has to say something about his coaching ability, doesn't it? If he's really the recruiter that Cohen and everyone else claims Lemonis is, then this program should be set up for a long haul of success that we never even experienced under Polk. As it is, we're going to Omaha for our third straight full season. A THIRD of our trips all-time have happened since and including 2013. Throw in the best stadium and atmosphere in college baseball and the "Dude Effect," and I see no reason why we can't expect to keep making fairly regular trips to Omaha. The more trips, the better the chance we finally get a title.

One last note. I've had my concerns about John Cohen as AD, but one thing I'll never question is what he did to save MSU baseball. Everything from reviving the team when he was coach to the stadium getting built, just everything. He set us on a path for unprecedented success.

There is a reason Louisville has been gradually trending down since Lemonis left. He recruited most of the guys there when they were a power. He is gonna recruit lights out here. Just baseball has such a large window with recruits.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2021, 04:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/yxkWfnvG/68741020-275-B-4533-A755-18624-D1-A3422.jpg

Here ya go... and before you say "Okay one guy", save it, there are more but I'm not wasting my time.

Fast reply, looks like your right and I'm wrong. "Doggie_Style" said it and he invoked Moorhead. There is a Lemonis "Hater" among us.

RocketDawg
06-15-2021, 04:55 PM

He should at the very least surpass the salary we pay the women's basketball coach, and he doesn't.

monroedawg5646
06-15-2021, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure why you feel the need to make a brand new post about the guy after every successful weekend. Like I've said before, the guy inherited a program that is white hot regardless of how many coaches blah blah excuse whatever. There's been some lifetime type players on each of his teams. Is he a bum? No. Is he elite? Idk. When every single moving part of the program has his signature on it and he continues to win 40-50, play in Supers, go to Omaha, or win it all then you'll know.

was21
06-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Maybe that helps offset the mess JC has made of the football program...(but not really).

OLJWales
06-15-2021, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure why you feel the need to make a brand new post about the guy after every successful weekend. Like I've said before, the guy inherited a program that is white hot regardless of how many coaches blah blah excuse whatever. There's been some lifetime type players on each of his teams. Is he a bum? No. Is he elite? Idk. When every single moving part of the program has his signature on it and he continues to win 40-50, play in Supers, go to Omaha, or win it all then you'll know.

Stop.

Doggie_Style
06-15-2021, 08:57 PM
Exactly?..and the thing is this board and others have become so sensitive to anything that doesn?t adhere to the super positive narrative that it?s actually more fun to troll ya?ll than to try to have an intelligent conversation?..I?m not invested here so scooby or whoever can delete my account since y?all have capitulated to this current cancel culture BS??see y?all in Omaha

Dawgcap
06-15-2021, 10:42 PM
If we lost last night I think the responses are different. Unfortunatelty fans don?t look at the growth they look at the mistakes that are going to happen. We aren?t competing against weakness usually top tier talent. I?m not gonna look back but check the melts after Mizzou and in the SEC tournament. The dissatisfaction was there and it was strong. Now 1 win last night attitude changes for some. Funny thing is the hate will show up again in next 2 weeks if we don?t win it all. Then if we do win it all we will have several bitching next year if we aren?t top tier. Fans be fans and it?s actually a shame sometimes

Captain Falcon
06-15-2021, 11:02 PM
He could win our first national title in school history and people would still try to argue he’s not that great.

Todd4State
06-15-2021, 11:06 PM
He could win our first national title in school history and people would still try to argue he’s not that great.

I don't know about that. MSU fans tend to be extremely loyal to coaches that reach or exceed expectations. See Vic Shaeffer and Ron Polk. Heck- Rick Stansbury and Jackie. That's why it takes a long time to get rid of a MSU coach who is in obvious decline sometimes.

Patrick Tibbons
06-16-2021, 07:18 AM

Nobody has said he is a bad coach (find the post?)

During his first season, resident baseball expert Todd4State posted: ?Lemonis is a bust and he will run the program in the ground in 2 years.?

Turfdawg67
06-16-2021, 10:12 AM
During his first season, resident baseball expert Todd4State posted: ?Lemonis is a bust and he will run the program in the ground in 2 years.?

Really?? That's too funny.

HoopsDawg
06-16-2021, 10:35 AM
He should have had Harding in the Game 3 role all year, and Cumbest should have been playing LF all year like I said many times on this board. Other than that, he did a great job this season.

As far as being elite, as the Zen Master said, we'll see.

OLJWales
06-16-2021, 10:56 AM
I don't know about that. MSU fans tend to be extremely loyal to coaches that reach or exceed expectations. See Vic Shaeffer and Ron Polk. Heck- Rick Stansbury and Jackie. That's why it takes a long time to get rid of a MSU coach who is in obvious decline sometimes.

Edited to delete. Posted under misunderstanding.

sandwolf
06-17-2021, 09:12 AM
All you Lemonis haters are either retards or trolls.

FIFY

Johnson85
06-17-2021, 09:34 AM
If we lost last night I think the responses are different. Unfortunatelty fans don?t look at the growth they look at the mistakes that are going to happen. We aren?t competing against weakness usually top tier talent. I?m not gonna look back but check the melts after Mizzou and in the SEC tournament. The dissatisfaction was there and it was strong. Now 1 win last night attitude changes for some. Funny thing is the hate will show up again in next 2 weeks if we don?t win it all. Then if we do win it all we will have several bitching next year if we aren?t top tier. Fans be fans and it?s actually a shame sometimes

Fans put too much weight into individual post seasons in general. 2019 or this year could have ended differently pretty easily. If Notre Dame had made fewer errors in game one and we got swept, how much differently would people feel about Lemonis, even though he'd essentially be the same coach? Now obviously those what ifs can be played on either side and tend to balance out over time, but they certainly don't balance out in one series.

Jack Lambert
06-17-2021, 09:35 AM
If he wins the NC he will be the greatest coach in Mississippi History. Not Mississippi State but Mississippi.

StarkVegasSteve
06-17-2021, 09:35 AM
Lem is a great coach and I don't think anyone could or would doubt that. He makes some head scratching decisions at times, but more times than not he's been proven right. I really feel like this season could go down as his best coaching job for years to come regardless of how it ends. I mean just think of what we've gone through as a team that he's guided us through: COVID, Bednar being injured the first 5 weeks, Cerrantola issues, The Hatcher situation, Skinner/Cumbest debates, Mizzou, SECT shellacking, and finally the Sunday game against ND. That's a ton of crap that's been thrown at him just to get the team to Omaha.

I've been hard at times this year on him, and deservedly so on a couple of things such as Hatcher still playing and Cumbest not playing, but to step back and take a look at what all we've made it through it's pretty impressive we're one of the last 8 teams standing.

TNDawg35
06-17-2021, 09:49 AM
Fans put too much weight into individual post seasons in general. 2019 or this year could have ended differently pretty easily. If Notre Dame had made fewer errors in game one and we got swept, how much differently would people feel about Lemonis, even though he'd essentially be the same coach? Now obviously those what ifs can be played on either side and tend to balance out over time, but they certainly don't balance out in one series.

But it didn’t happen. They made those errors just like we shit the bed against Mizzu. Who gives a shit, we’re going to Omaha…

This shit about yea but what if this and that would have happened we would be sitting at home right now. I swear we are our own worst enemy then wanna bitch about not getting respect from anyone.

Only 8 teams make it to Omaha. We are one of them. Nothing else matters now.

QuadrupleOption
06-17-2021, 10:18 AM
But it didn?t happen. They made those errors just like we shit the bed against Mizzu. Who gives a shit, we?re going to Omaha?

This shit about yea but what if this and that would have happened we would be sitting at home right now. I swear we are our own worst enemy then wanna bitch about not getting respect from anyone.

Only 8 teams make it to Omaha. We are one of them. Nothing else matters now.

^^This. Every team makes errors. Heck, we've dropped some games this season because of Errors from the left side of our infield. So I don't feel sorry for Notre Dame. They had three chances to prove they were the better team and couldn't get it done.

Dolphus Raymond
06-17-2021, 10:27 AM
?Only 8 teams make it to Omaha. We are one of them. Nothing else matters now.?

Indeed.

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Lemonis is good. He makes mistakes, but all baseball coaches do. We cannot miss the forest through the trees here. The dude has put us in position to win not one, but two national championships in the same amount of years. That is impressive, especially coming off of the 3 previous coaches in 3 years business. Regardless of talent that is here or isn't here. Regardless that he didn't start Cumbest for over half the season. Even with all of that, we are still 4-5 wins away from winning the entire dang thing for the second year in a row.

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2021, 11:33 AM
^^This. Every team makes errors. Heck, we've dropped some games this season because of Errors from the left side of our infield. So I don't feel sorry for Notre Dame. They had three chances to prove they were the better team and couldn't get it done.

Hell, they probably are the better team. Arkansas is better than NC State. No doubt. But, you have to do it on the field. And neither did.
Arizona is better than Ole Miss though. We can all agree with that.

Coach34
06-17-2021, 11:42 AM
Bunko did a pretty good coaching job getting his team within a game of Omaha after losing his #1

Lemon did an even better job getting this team to Omaha with the hitting line-up we have. This Punch and Judy squad found a way to get it done.

WinningIsRelentless
06-17-2021, 12:03 PM
Bunko did a pretty good coaching job getting his team within a game of Omaha after losing his #1

Lemon did an even better job getting this team to Omaha with the hitting line-up we have. This Punch and Judy squad found a way to get it done.

Without the right coach this team could have easily been a 30-35 win team.

Captain Falcon
06-17-2021, 01:18 PM

While I do think Lemonis has done a great coaching job with this group, don't think they get the credit offensively that they deserve sometimes. We have hit more homers as a team this year than any MSU team since the Gorilla Ball era of college baseball.

tcdog70
06-18-2021, 10:48 AM
He should have had Harding in the Game 3 role all year, and Cumbest should have been playing LF all year like I said many times on this board. Other than that, he did a great job this season.

As far as being elite, as the Zen Master said, we'll see.

the fact he left Hatcher at first for long time is also a head Scratcher. Not bringing in Sims in game 3 of SC game-wasn't smart. The fact that we chocked away the SEC championship coming down the stretch is also not good. The fact we got embarrassed at Hoover-is disturbing.. The fact that he pulled the shift on a guy below the mendoza line leading off an inning( the guy bunted for an easy hit), left me going WTF. And not playing Brad might be the worst . also the fact that we don't have a better SS ready to play SEC ball, is beyond comprehension . So yes we are going to Omaha but it isn't like Coach hasn't done some stuff that caused some people to wonder is he the Guru of all baseball.

The Federalist Engineer
06-18-2021, 11:01 AM

One game from Omaha is very far?I did not feel ?one game away? in 1989 or any other year the team was eliminated in a regional final. Either you are Omaha or you are a tread-stone or a head mounted to a wall.

By they go peak at the team stats for 2016 and compare to 2021. Who has more runs, RBI, HRs, and Slugging? JG quietly did a marvelous job while using very limited hitters in some positions. Imagine an alternate universe where Landon Jordan does not lose his mind and Hatcher was as good as his mom (Rex54) says he is.

tcdog70
06-18-2021, 11:02 AM

even though we have several players with double digit homers--

tcdog70
06-18-2021, 11:03 AM

THIS^^^^

Homedawg
06-18-2021, 11:21 AM
the fact he left Hatcher at first for long time is also a head Scratcher. Not bringing in Sims in game 3 of SC game-wasn't smart. The fact that we chocked away the SEC championship coming down the stretch is also not good. The fact we got embarrassed at Hoover-is disturbing.. The fact that he pulled the shift on a guy below the mendoza line leading off an inning( the guy bunted for an easy hit), left me going WTF. And not playing Brad might be the worst . also the fact that we don't have a better SS ready to play SEC ball, is beyond comprehension . So yes we are going to Omaha but it isn't like Coach hasn't done some stuff that caused some people to wonder is he the Guru of all baseball.

Sims wasn't available in the third game in sc. I'll leave it at that.

OLJWales
06-18-2021, 03:57 PM
THIS^^^^

Misery loving company.

monroedawg5646
06-18-2021, 04:45 PM
Misery loving company.

Feel free to point out anything I said that's wrong.

preachermatt83
06-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Sims wasn't available in the third game in sc. I'll leave it at that.

I heard this too

OLJWales
06-18-2021, 08:30 PM
Feel free to point out anything I said that's wrong.

The post is weak and those who support it are weak.

monroedawg5646
06-18-2021, 09:53 PM
The post is weak and those who support it are weak.
Like I said, let me know what's wrong.

OLJWales
06-18-2021, 09:57 PM
Like I said, let me know what's wrong.

Questioning fan admiration of our coach.

Cowbell
06-18-2021, 10:51 PM
You guys that don't want to give lemonis the credit he deserves... name the last coach we had in any sport that inherited talent and didn't screw it up. In some way. I will wait. I would do anything to have a coach like that in every sport. Much less taken us to the promised land.

Lord McBuckethead
06-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Hatcher has power. Hatcher has hit .280 his entire time in college I believe. You happen to believe a guy like that, who gets hits in spots, is going to revert to the mean...... but he didn't. I don't have any issues with Hatcher. I just want people coming to the plate to protect the plate, see the ball hit the ball, and just put the lumber to it. Look the other way. Get bunts down. Make sure we are maximizing our opportunities while making the other team pay for mistakes. We are surrendering too many at bats at the moment.