PDA

View Full Version : Dh tomorrow....sort of

Homedawg
04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Game one to be completed after the completion of game 2. Game time of game 2 still 6:30.

Coach34
04-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Good news is that Holder can return and pitch tomorrow.
The bad news is that most likely he wont be starting the game thats suspended. We need Bracewell or someone to come in and shut the door

Homedawg
04-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Well if we don't use him in the first game(really game 2) then I feel certain he will come back out in game 1. Unless we blow it up in the bottom of the seventh.

Coach34
04-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Well if we don't use him in the first game(really game 2) then I feel certain he will come back out in game 1. Unless we blow it up in the bottom of the seventh.

we have to complete the suspended game first

Will James
04-18-2013, 10:24 PM
we have to complete the suspended game first

Nope. Other way around. If I'm not mistaken.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-18-2013, 10:28 PM
We are supposed to complete the first game first but since Fridays game is scheduled for a tv broadcast on CSS we complete it following the scheduled game.

Quaoarsking
04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Friday game and then end of the suspended game. The SEC has different rules depending on whether the game is on TV.

Coach34
04-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Friday game and then end of the suspended game. The SEC has different rules depending on whether the game is on TV.

I did not know that...interesting

engie
04-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Hell, just let Graveman keep rolling. Put him on a 125 pitch count and let him go. That'd get us 10-11 innings out of him given how he's been in the past 3 starts. I'm only kidding of course(sort of)...

In reality, I'm not sure who I would go with in the second game...

Will James
04-18-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm going with Holder to stay on for the 2nd game unless he is needed for the 630 one. Hopefully KG goes the distance and we win by 5+ so Holder can pick up where he left off.

Todd4State
04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
I start Holder for the unfinished game unless he is unavailable due to closing out the regularly scheduled game. If he can't go, I go with Bracewell. I kind of like Gentry against their right handed hitters, and I might go with Trevor Fitts.

Coach34
04-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Soooooo, we just dont pitch Evan Mitchell anymore at all?

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Soooooo, we just dont pitch Evan Mitchell anymore at all?
When do you? He can't throw strikes. It's been 3 years and he still can't. I get it, he has great stuff and people can't hit him but who cares. Im not sure why hes even on the sec roster. Wasting a spot bc he's not going to pitch in a close game.

Coach34
04-19-2013, 08:08 AM
When do you? He can't throw strikes. It's been 3 years and he still can't. I get it, he has great stuff and people can't hit him but who cares. Im not sure why hes even on the sec roster. Wasting a spot bc he's not going to pitch in a close game.

well, we cant keep pitching Holder with a 9 run lead- he'll be worn out by the SEC Tourney

Spider-Man
04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Graveman and Holder for first game tonight. Use Woodruff/E.Mitchell/Bracewell to close out resumption of game one.

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM

C'mon man. Doesn't deserve to be on a SEC roster? Guys like Stratton, Renfroe and Girado are perfect examples of guys who had a lot of talent but struggled to put it together until late. Evan Mitchell may or may not be like that, but he's certainly worth working with. For all we know he could have a great summer and fall, come back next spring and be our best pitcher...he's got the talent. Even if he never puts it together in college I'm sure a pro franchise will draft him because of what he could be if he figures it out.

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 09:18 AM
C'mon man. Doesn't deserve to be on a SEC roster? Guys like Stratton, Renfroe and Girado are perfect examples of guys who had a lot of talent but struggled to put it together until late. Evan Mitchell may or may not be like that, but he's certainly worth working with. For all we know he could have a great summer and fall, come back next spring and be our best pitcher...he's got the talent. Even if he never puts it together in college I'm sure a pro franchise will draft him because of what he could be if he figures it out.

No, he doesn't need to be on the roster. We aren't going to use him. Therefore, it's a wasted spot. I get it he's talented. As for next year, he's gone. Someone will draft him due to his stuff and pray they can make him a strike thrower in the minors. We don't have the luxury to let him try to pitch his way out of it(which he hadn't done in 3 years) yet in pro ball they can.

Coach34
04-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Graveman and Holder for first game tonight. Use Woodruff/E.Mitchell/Bracewell to close out resumption of game one.

Woody was throwing 82-83 in his last outing. He needs to be shut down until the end of April and then let him work in the pen to see how he feels

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 09:26 AM
He'll probably get drafted, maybe like Graveman was last year but lower, maybe 30 some odd round. Why would he take about a $2,000 signing bonus to play pro ball when he has only one more year of college to get a degree and a chance to prove being worth much more next year? By your logic we could say John Marc Shelly, E. Mitchell, Will Cox, Preston Brown, Trevor Fitts, Matthew Britton, Daryl Norris, Nick Flair, Kyle Hann and Tyler Fullerton are all wasting space on our roster because we aren't using them...so we might as well get rid of them.

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
He'll probably get drafted, maybe like Graveman was last year but lower, maybe 30 some odd round. Why would he take about a $2,000 signing bonus to play pro ball when he has only one more year of college to get a degree and a chance to prove being worth much more next year? By your logic we could say John Marc Shelly, E. Mitchell, Will Cox, Preston Brown, Trevor Fitts, Matthew Britton, Daryl Norris, Nick Flair, Kyle Hann and Tyler Fullerton are all wasting space on our roster because we aren't using them...so we might as well get rid of them.
First I think he'll go higher than rd 30. We shall see. Secondly, no I'm not saying we should get rid of them, not at all. What I'm saying is , we get 27 spots for an sec series don't waste a spot on a guy that we aren't going to use in the series. Unless we are getting beat 20-0 he's not going to pitch. You can't bring him in a tight game bc he might walk the world. Additionally, some of those you mentioned aren't on the sec roster and haven't been for weeks. I'd have them on it rather than him. To each his own........... Btw, I'm willing to make a small wager that he signs and isn't back next year.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Woody was throwing 82-83 in his last outing. He needs to be shut down until the end of April and then let him work in the pen to see how he feels

Maybe Woodruff should get some work in left field, and with that position being so weak right now, the drop off is minimal, might even be an upgrade. Who knows what a positive game could do for him. A good game and a hit or two might bring him out of his' mental funk and he starts throwing lights out again.

Will James
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Maybe Woodruff should get some work in left field, and with that position being so weak right now, the drop off is minimal, might even be an upgrade. Who knows what a positive game could do for him. A good game and a hit or two might bring him out of his' mental funk and he starts throwing lights out again.

Pretty sure he struggled at the plate in limited at bats last year. This ain't the time for experiments.

ETA he was 2-19 last year.

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 09:43 AM
First I think he'll go higher than rd 30. We shall see. Secondly, no I'm not saying we should get rid of them, not at all. What I'm saying is , we get 27 spots for an sec series don't waste a spot on a guy that we aren't going to use in the series. Unless we are getting beat 20-0 he's not going to pitch. You can't bring him in a tight game bc he might walk the world. Additionally, some of those you mentioned aren't on the sec roster and haven't been for weeks. I'd have them on it rather than him. To each his own........... Btw, I'm willing to make a small wager that he signs and isn't back next year.

I don't know enough about the baseball draft to project where he'd be drafted...but in reading some other posts yesterday it sounds like if you get drafted after the 10th round your chances of getting over $100K are slim to none. That seems like a stupid move to me. I live in the same town as Evan Mitchell in Georgia, my little brother played little league with him. His family isn't poor, surely he will be advised to not accept less than $100K in lieu of coming back for his senior year.

Where do you find information about our SEC roster? I have never seen such info. Just curious.

engie
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Mitchell is projected to go in the top 10 rounds this year. http://msstatebaseball1.blogspot.com/p/mlb.html

WeWillScrewItUp
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Pretty sure he struggled at the plate in limited at bats last year. This ain't the time for experiments.

ETA he was 2-19 last year.

I agree it isn't time for experiments but can we have his slugging and on base percentages as well just to compare to what we have out there right now. I'm just curious. I have wanted to see him log some innings in the outfield all year. I wish we would have done it early on in the season. You never know what could have happened.

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't know enough about the baseball draft to project where he'd be drafted...but in reading some other posts yesterday it sounds like if you get drafted after the 10th round your chances of getting over $100K are slim to none. That seems like a stupid move to me. I live in the same town as Evan Mitchell in Georgia, my little brother played little league with him. His family isn't poor, surely he will be advised to not accept less than $100K in lieu of coming back for his senior year.

Where do you find information about our SEC roster? I have never seen such info. Just curious.

I'm sure he's a good kid. And I wish he had done well. He has talent no question. We shall see as far as the draft goes. As for the sec roster, it's no longer posted as in previous years. On away weekends its easy bc those that travel are the only ones on it. On home weekends it's different bc everyone dresses and they are no longer told before hand who is and isn't on the roster. I don't find out who was on the roster until after the weekend in most cases. Unless 27 people play and then it's easy ha.

Coach34
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I agree it isn't time for experiments but can we have his slugging and on base percentages as well just to compare to what we have out there right now. I'm just curious. I have wanted to see him log some innings in the outfield all year. I wish we would have done it early on in the season. You never know what could have happened.

Woodruff is a MLB talent on the mound when healthy- not as an OF'er

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm sure he's a good kid. And I wish he had done well. He has talent no question. We shall see as far as the draft goes. As for the sec roster, it's no longer posted as in previous years. On away weekends its easy bc those that travel are the only ones on it. On home weekends it's different bc everyone dresses and they are no longer told before hand who is and isn't on the roster. I don't find out who was on the roster until after the weekend in most cases. Unless 27 people play and then it's easy ha.

Who tells you who is on the roster? How do you know who all traveled to road games? I don't mean to question your knowledge or sources of the baseball team, but you seem very confident that Mitchell is indeed using one of those spots.

Engie, those projections are from January 21st: http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=7932 I would have to think they've changed a little by now since Mitchell is struggling throwing strikes.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM

If the Stratton sophomore slump is whats going on with woodruff, then next year he should be lights out.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-19-2013, 10:30 AM

I agree and would love to see him doing his thing on the mound. I'm just thinking that playing a little outfield or getting some at bats could possibly get him going in the right direction. If it is all mental you never know what could straighten him out.

engie
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Engie, those projections are from January 21st: http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=7932 I would have to think they've changed a little by now since Mitchell is struggling throwing strikes.

Why? He'd never thrown strikes prior to the projections...

I think he gets another shot -- probably him or Woodruff in the Memphis game on Tuesday.
In reality, Mitchell has only had one terrible outing. Yes, he's had control issues in the other ones -- but only one that was really bad...

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Who tells you who is on the roster? How do you know who all traveled to road games? I don't mean to question your knowledge or sources of the baseball team, but you seem very confident that Mitchell is indeed using one of those spots.

Im not telling you who tells me. Really doesnt matter. However, he was on the trip last weekend thus on the roster. As for this weekend, like I said I don't know yet I havent asked. As for his draft status, he will get drafted on his stuff alone- which is quite good- he just can't harness it. Which we can't afford to sit and try to find it, we have to win games.

CadaverDawg
04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
In reality, Mitchell has only had one terrible outing. Yes, he's had control issues in the other ones -- but only one that was really bad...

This^. He's only had one terrible outing, and I would be happy to see him take the mound to close out yesterday's game tonight. If he comes in and slams the door, then you may have found yourself another 1-2 inning closer/bullpen guy. I have mentioned it before and I'll say it again....

Mitchell is goofy, but he has nasty stuff. He also throws absolute gas. So, why not tell him we need you to go in there in the 8th and 9th, blow 6 guys away, and then you're done. I think he would be a great closer the way he pitches. It's worth a shot. That's why I was pissed when we didn't put him in for the 8th and 9th against A&M with an 11 run lead. That was dumb as shit to keep Holder in that game. 6 runs, yes...11 runs, foolish.

Homedawg
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
This^. He's only had one terrible outing, and I would be happy to see him take the mound to close out yesterday's game tonight. If he comes in and slams the door, then you may have found yourself another 1-2 inning closer/bullpen guy. I have mentioned it before and I'll say it again....

Mitchell is goofy, but he has nasty stuff. He also throws absolute gas. So, why not tell him we need you to go in there in the 8th and 9th, blow 6 guys away, and then you're done. I think he would be a great closer the way he pitches. It's worth a shot. That's why I was pissed when we didn't put him in for the 8th and 9th against A&M with an 11 run lead. That was dumb as shit to keep Holder in that game. 6 runs, yes...11 runs, foolish.

I agree with you on the part about last weekend. I would have brought him in too. Im also in agreement he has nasty stuff. There is a reason his era is over 4 and teams are only hitting .125 against him- 19 walks and 5 hbp in 19 innings. Therefore, there is no way I bring him in tonight w a 3 run lead. No chance. 2 walks and the tying run is at the plate.

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Why? He'd never thrown strikes prior to the projections...

I think he gets another shot -- probably him or Woodruff in the Memphis game on Tuesday.

I'm sure the PG guy made some assumptions that Mitchell would at least improve on his wildness this year since he'd be a junior. He has gotten wilder each year. Although I'm sure MLB teams want his talent and will gamble that they can change his mental approach or something. Seems like a waste of a top 10 draft pick to me, if I were a GM I'd save my projects for the later rounds, but I'm not a GM so what do I know.

The Croom Diaries
04-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Maybe Mitchell would do better from the pen. Maybe he thinks too much as a starter [about facing guys multiple times], but if he came in to get 3 outs he could just try to strike everybody out.

engie
04-19-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't put him in with a 3-run lead -- but keep in mind, I'm pretty sure we are at the plate in the bottom of the 7th when the game resumes. I forget the exact time/situation when the game was suspended, but if we were to extend the lead to 5 or 6, I would certainly be in favor of getting Mitchell some work...

We ARE going to need at least one more reliever to step up. Can't survive this with 5 total pitchers getting all the innings like we've been trying to do...

WeWillScrewItUp
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't put him in with a 3-run lead -- but keep in mind, I'm pretty sure we are at the plate in the bottom of the 7th when the game resumes. I forget the exact time/situation when the game was suspended

Bottom 7 with Pirtle coming to plate. Nobody on with 1 out