PDA

View Full Version : Is Lemonis going with another one of his ?hunches? tomorrow

CaptainObvious
06-14-2021, 12:08 AM
And starting Fristoe?

CadaverDawg
06-14-2021, 12:13 AM
Lord no. Did you see how fast he waddled out there to get the ball from him the last time he pitched? Fristoe is lucky he's allowed in the dugout after all those walks. I'd be stunned if we see Fristoe tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see something crazy like Stinnett or somebody start, go an inning or two, then Hooty, then Sims though. Keep them completely off balance with speeds and arm slots.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2021, 12:14 AM
In my opinion, you have to think it's feasible to get a complete game out of Hooty and Sims...so if you don't start Harding, start Sims. Then if you need one inning I guess you go Stinnett to close

Todd4State
06-14-2021, 12:19 AM
I doubt it. Harding has had some good starts. He beat a good Texas Tech in Biloxi and USM team as a starter while he has been at MSU. I know he has a bad start against Mizzou but he should get another chance.

Todd4State
06-14-2021, 12:19 AM
In my opinion, you have to think it's feasible to get a complete game out of Hooty and Sims...so if you don't start Harding, start Sims. Then if you need one inning I guess you go Stinnett to close

I think he might use Simmons to close.

Quaoarsking
06-14-2021, 12:23 AM
Say what you will about Lemonis, but he's last guy who manages on "hunches"

ScoobaDawg
06-14-2021, 12:28 AM
I have a hunch you use an iphone and haven't read the idiot's guide to posting***

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2021, 12:33 AM
And starting Fristoe?

No, that won’t happen.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 12:55 AM
He'll start Hootie and use Sims however he needs to use him. If it's early, then we'll get a big dose of we're 17'd the rest of the way.

chef dixon
06-14-2021, 06:11 AM
When are we going to stop acting like Lemon is not a good coach?

AROB44
06-14-2021, 06:46 AM

When he is coaching somewhere else. That's the MSU way.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2021, 07:42 AM

I believe you go with what worked last Monday. Start Houston. Johnson, Stinnett and Sims. If things go south early bring in Sims early.

I have to believe you send the message to the Team that this worked last Monday. It works today.

Doggie_Style
06-14-2021, 08:28 AM

When one or more aspects of the team improved over the course of a baseball season

BrunswickDawg
06-14-2021, 08:41 AM
When one or more aspects of the team improved over the course of a baseball season

You just keep looking for random statistics and perfection and never be satisfied. I'll be satisfied with wins, and be dang proud of having a team competing to go to Omaha AGAIN.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 08:45 AM

When his teams can be fundamentally sound. There's no excuse for all of his teams to suck defensively. Starters need another pitch. Develop some guys! Teach them something they didn't come here with. They've regressed this year.
And for god's sake, get off the bucket and go get your players backs when the umpiring is so horrendous they can't even get a pop up 10 feet fair right.

basedog
06-14-2021, 09:02 AM
When his teams can be fundamentally sound. There's no excuse for all of his teams to suck defensively. Starters need another pitch. Develop some guys! Teach them something they didn't come here with. They've regressed this year.
And for god's sake, get off the bucket and go get your players backs when the umpiring is so horrendous they can't even get a pop up 10 feet fair right.

Coot, u make it sound like we aren’t even playing for a CWS spot. I know u and all of us want to win, but there aren’t many “Billy Martin” Coaches. Lemonis is done a fine job, if not explain what we suck so bad IYO.
You very seldom give credit but harp on “oh we aren’t worthy”.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 09:14 AM
There's a few options but imo here are the best two:

Option A (What I Would Do)- Start Landon and try to get 75-90 pitches from him and then go to Hootie, Simmons, Stinnett, Johnson, whoever we got left and hold on for dear life.

Option B (What We'll Probably Do)- Start Hootie and try to get 75-90 pitches from him and you go to Landon at the first sign of trouble.

Wild Card- Start Simmons or Stinnett and have Hootie hot in the bullpen ready to go at the first sign of trouble.

I lean towards starting Landon because his ability to get them out and throw strikes. We need to put up some zeros early.

Coach34
06-14-2021, 09:17 AM
I think we go Harding, Stinnett, Simmons, Johnson, Sims today. That should get us thru 9.

We gonna have to score 6-7 runs to win it I believe. Our day at the plate likely decides if we move on or not

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Coot, u make it sound like we aren’t even playing for a CWS spot. I know u and all of us want to win, but there aren’t many “Billy Martin” Coaches. Lemonis is done a fine job, if not explain what we suck so bad IYO.

It is different in todays game since there is a rule that getting kicked out of a game suspends you for the next game. Not many managers would go and kick dirt on the umpires feet if it meant not coaching the next game. Lemonis occasionally pushes it but Foxhall getting kicked out earlier this year caused him to not be able to call pitches in the next game.

BrunswickDawg
06-14-2021, 09:34 AM
It is different in todays game since there is a rule that getting kicked out of a game suspends you for the next game. Not many managers would go and kick dirt on the umpires feet if it meant not coaching the next game. Lemonis occasionally pushes it but Foxhall getting kicked out earlier this year caused him to not be able to call pitches in the next game.

As terrible as these umps are - the more we rode them the worse they got. If Lemonis had started really arguing they would have run him. And it wouldn't change a damn thing.

basedog
06-14-2021, 09:38 AM

Not only that. Ur the ones thinking or saying Lemonis is soft doesn’t have a damn clue. He doesn’t throw players under the bus during games nor at press conferences. He is tough as nails on them away from the cameras and spot light.
If some knew things I knew about what is going on they wouldn’t be so negative.
Hell Lemonis is perfect but neither are Van Horn and others. Talk about poor decisions, it showed big time yesterday when Kopps right out of juice. But kudos to Kopps, without him Ark wouldn’t have been near as good.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 09:40 AM
Not only that. Ur the ones thinking or saying Lemonis is soft doesn’t have a damn clue. He doesn’t throw players under the bus during games nor at press conferences. He is tough as nails on them away from the cameras and spot light.
If some knew things I knew about what is going on they wouldn’t be so negative.
Hell Lemonis is perfect but neither are Van Horn and others. Talk about poor decisions, it showed big time yesterday when Kopps right out of juice. But kudos to Kopps, without him Ark wouldn’t have been near as good.

Yeah, Lemonis ain't soft. That I agree with.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 09:41 AM
As terrible as these umps are - the more we rode them the worse they got. If Lemonis had started really arguing they would have run him. And it wouldn't change a damn thing.

I don't mind a coach getting tossed in a 9-1 game. He wasn't really doing much at that point. You think Cohen would sit on his hands? Hell no!

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 09:45 AM

Base, Lemonis is a good coach. I'm not saying he's not. I'm just saying we're seeing things that he needs to fix. This is only year 2 in the SEC for him. I think some things he's still got to figure out. I'm not saying fire the guy. But a blind, deaf goat can get us to post season. We need more than that.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 09:46 AM
I don't mind a coach getting tossed in a 9-1 game. He wasn't really doing much at that point. You think Cohen would sit on his hands? Hell no!

I would've preferred to not have our HC be suspended for Game 3 with the season on the line. But hey, that's just me.

Saltydog
06-14-2021, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't use Simmons to close unless we have a large lead. Don't trust him that much.

MedDawg
06-14-2021, 09:49 AM
I doubt it. Harding has had some good starts. He beat a good Texas Tech in Biloxi and USM team as a starter while he has been at MSU. I know he has a bad start against Mizzou but he should get another chance.

In his last start in the regional, Harding pitched for 5 innings, 10 strikeouts, 2 walks, and 2 ER. Before that at Bama he pitched 5.2 innings, giving up 2 hits and 0 ER.

smootness
06-14-2021, 09:51 AM
I would've preferred to not have our HC be suspended for Game 3 with the season on the line. But hey, that's just me.

I'm pretty sure the manager doesn't also miss the next game. Any other player or coach does get an additional game suspension, but not the manager.

BrunswickDawg
06-14-2021, 09:52 AM

And if he got tossed, he's not around today. It's counter productive at this time of year to get yourself thrown out.

smootness
06-14-2021, 09:57 AM
And if he got tossed, he's not around today. It's counter productive at this time of year to get yourself thrown out.

I don't think that's right. Everything I've found says the head coach just misses the rest of that game but any assistant, player, or other personnel will also be suspended an additional game.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 10:03 AM
I don't think that's right. Everything I've found says the head coach just misses the rest of that game but any assistant, player, or other personnel will also be suspended an additional game.

Maybe the tournament is different. I'm unaware that it is, but I was just assuming that ejection rules are blanket across all conferences.

basedog
06-14-2021, 10:11 AM
Base, Lemonis is a good coach. I'm not saying he's not. I'm just saying we're seeing things that he needs to fix. This is only year 2 in the SEC for him. I think some things he's still got to figure out. I'm not saying fire the guy. But a blind, deaf goat can get us to post season. We need more than that.

Coot, actually u have good points! But like u say it’s only his third year. He is smart and well spoken, he will have a different team next year, hopefully we get infielders and a few pitchers step up big time as far as our Sec rotation.
ND may smoke us today but IMO Harding has been our beat pitcher other than Sims the last few weeks. We just can’t walk batters and it’s a must playing flawless defense today.
Only thing I wish was starting time today. I was hoping for 1 or 2 game time. Crowd should be electric today!

I ain’t mad ain’t this team, we have some issues and again have over achieved big time as I never thought we would be playing for a chance to go to CWS.

smootness
06-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Maybe the tournament is different. I'm unaware that it is, but I was just assuming that ejection rules are blanket across all conferences.

Where have you seen that the manager gets an additional game suspension?

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 10:29 AM
Where have you seen that the manager gets an additional game suspension?

I remember when Cohen got tossed in 2016 out in LA he had to sit for the Sunday game against Oklahoma. That's the last time I can remember a manager getting tossed for us.

smootness
06-14-2021, 10:31 AM
I remember when Cohen got tossed in 2016 out in LA he had to sit for the Sunday game against Oklahoma. That's the last time I can remember a manager getting tossed for us.

Hmmm. What I'm seeing is that the manager just has to sit out the rest of the game in which he was ejected, but that if he continues to argue and receives a misconduct after the ejection, he can be further suspended. I don't know, maybe what I'm seeing is wrong or maybe they've changed it since 2016. But it seems the manager can be ejected and come back the next game.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Coot, actually u have good points! But like u say it’s only his third year. He is smart and well spoken, he will have a different team next year, hopefully we get infielders and a few pitchers step up big time as far as our Sec rotation.
ND may smoke us today but IMO Harding has been our beat pitcher other than Sims the last few weeks. We just can’t walk batters and it’s a must playing flawless defense today.
Only thing I wish was starting time today. I was hoping for 1 or 2 game time. Crowd should be electric today!

I ain’t mad ain’t this team, we have some issues and again have over achieved big time as I never thought we would be playing for a chance to go to CWS.

Yeah, I'm a little brash and abrasive in my comments. But I'm just of the opinion you can't win big with bad defense. That's really my only knock with him at this point. And like I said, maybe that changes with his players coming in and taking over. The inconsistencies this year have worn on me I think. Maybe expectations were too high. I thought the pitching staff would get us top 4 and with luck, we'd have a shot at top 2. Got to win today to get there.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Hmmm. What I'm seeing is that the manager just has to sit out the rest of the game in which he was ejected, but that if he continues to argue and receives a misconduct after the ejection, he can be further suspended. I don't know, maybe what I'm seeing is wrong or maybe they've changed it since 2016. But it seems the manager can be ejected and come back the next game.

Well this did happen because he got tossed and then kept arguing and then Gavin Collins got tossed which made him even angrier.

parabrave
06-14-2021, 10:59 AM
He'll start Hootie and use Sims however he needs to use him. If it's early, then we'll get a big dose of we're 17'd the rest of the way.

It don't matter who we start if we don't hit.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 11:02 AM

This is probably a bigger concern to me. We've got to hit better and have patience at the plate. We let their staff off the hook last night.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2021, 11:03 AM

True. And we never know when we will. Our patience at the plate and ability to read the pitch & adjust seems to have fallen off end of the year.

Todd4State
06-14-2021, 11:07 AM
This is probably a bigger concern to me. We've got to hit better and have patience at the plate. We let their staff off the hook last night.

We hit a lot of hard hit balls that were right at one of their players or we hit their pitcher with a rocket and it went right to one of their defenders.

And for those saying Lemonis sits around too much. He was on the umpire pretty good last night.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2021, 11:34 AM
We hit a lot of hard hit balls that were right at one of their players or we hit their pitcher with a rocket and it went right to one of their defenders.

And for those saying Lemonis sits around too much. He was on the umpire pretty good last night.

You're not wrong that we barreled a few balls up, but the problem was we were barreling up first pitches instead of working the count a little. Agreed on Lemonis, he was very animated last night in the dugout and was all over the ump more than a few times.

basedog
06-14-2021, 11:46 AM
ND had 8 hits for 9 run, 1 error.
MSU had 7 for 1 run, 2 errors.
Don’t know the walks by each but do the math and see it shouldn’t have been that much difference in score.

R2Dawg
06-14-2021, 12:09 PM
I think we go Harding, Stinnett, Simmons, Johnson, Sims today. That should get us thru 9.

We gonna have to score 6-7 runs to win it I believe. Our day at the plate likely decides if we move on or not

About what I think as well. Not sure if we see Johnson or Simmons but I bet Harding, Stinnett and Sims for sure, not maybe in that order. If we have a lead and Harding makes 5 or 6, I say Sims and have Stinnett for a late charge if Sims runs out of gas.

smootness
06-14-2021, 12:10 PM
ND had 8 hits for 9 run, 1 error.
MSU had 7 for 1 run, 2 errors.
Don’t know the walks by each but do the math and see it shouldn’t have been that much difference in score.

We both put 4 on base, we had 3 BB and a HBP, they had 4 BB. I'll just add 2 things - while we only technically had 2 errors, we had more misplays than that. Also, the 2 HR very much help put runs across. We only had 1 XBH.

smootness
06-14-2021, 12:10 PM
We will absolutely have the pitching advantage in this game. Just have to make it matter.

NCDawg
06-14-2021, 12:16 PM
I guess Harding is probably our best bet to start, but I'm worried about him throwing strikes. From what I've seen, he sometimes has a problem finding the plate. You can't walk these guys. If you do, you're asking for real trouble.

Todd4State
06-14-2021, 12:21 PM
You're not wrong that we barreled a few balls up, but the problem was we were barreling up first pitches instead of working the count a little. Agreed on Lemonis, he was very animated last night in the dugout and was all over the ump more than a few times.

That was because their guy was patterning his pitches- first pitch fastball, slider, slider, slider..

So if we were going to hit a fastball odds are the first pitch was going to be it.

preachermatt83
06-14-2021, 12:34 PM
Lord no. Did you see how fast he waddled out there to get the ball from him the last time he pitched? Fristoe is lucky he's allowed in the dugout after all those walks. I'd be stunned if we see Fristoe tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see something crazy like Stinnett or somebody start, go an inning or two, then Hooty, then Sims though. Keep them completely off balance with speeds and arm slots.

I laughed so freaking hard at this.

preachermatt83
06-14-2021, 12:35 PM

Exactly. He?s outstanding.

smootness
06-14-2021, 12:39 PM
I guess Harding is probably our best bet to start, but I'm worried about him throwing strikes. From what I've seen, he sometimes has a problem finding the plate. You can't walk these guys. If you do, you're asking for real trouble.

He actually has one of the better BB rates on the team. It isn't what I would call great, but it's not a particular concern for him. Somebody like Stinnett, on the other hand, does have a problem there. Even Sims walks more than Harding.

Todd4State
06-14-2021, 02:40 PM
He actually has one of the better BB rates on the team. It isn't what I would call great, but it's not a particular concern for him. Somebody like Stinnett, on the other hand, does have a problem there. Even Sims walks more than Harding.

Harding has performed better than MacLeoud and Bednar if you look at it analytically.

I don't know why our fans aren't comfortable with him after a bad start against Missouri when MacLeoud barely gets through the fifth inning every weekend.

DownwardDawg
06-14-2021, 03:00 PM
Harding has performed better than MacLeoud and Bednar if you look at it analytically.

I don't know why our fans aren't comfortable with him after a bad start against Missouri when MacLeoud barely gets through the fifth inning every weekend.

I agree. Harding is a badass.

Doggie_Style
06-14-2021, 04:31 PM
Exactly. He?s outstanding.

......that's why LSU offered him $6.5 million....oh wait

Commercecomet24
06-14-2021, 04:36 PM

Agreed. Also he has better command of all his pitches than Mac. He's a competitor too. I would expect him to have a great game today.