PDA

View Full Version : Is gorilla ball back?

Cowbell
06-12-2021, 08:33 AM
What is with all the home runs / is it that we are suddenly warming up temp wise or is there more to this? What say you baseball experts?

msstate7
06-12-2021, 08:51 AM
Did mlb donate all the juiced balls of 2020 regular season to college?**

confucius say
06-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Strikeouts are up too I believe right? I think it's just more of the launch angle mindset.

Cowbell
06-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Did mlb donate all the juiced balls of 2020 regular season to college?**

What's your thoughts on the accusations of the tampering by mlb?

msstate7
06-12-2021, 09:23 AM
What's your thoughts on the accusations of the tampering by mlb?

I really don't know.

terradawg
06-12-2021, 11:07 AM
I agree with confucius say...launce angle on the brain

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2021, 11:20 AM
It's a multi-facetted issue.

College baseball is headed towards the same 3 outcome problem MLB has: HR, BB, K & very little action on the bases or defensively.

This is due to a few reasons:

1. Technology has allowed pitchers to make major gains due to pitch design, velocity building, & game planning.
2. However, what technology has found is that high fast balls are the best fastballs to create swing & miss. They give up more HRs though.
3. Hitters on the other hand, have realized that getting 3 hits in an inning off pitchers that have used pitch design & are throwing 95 is extremely unlikely. Thus, they are trying to hit HRs.

The end result is that we've got 3 outcomes. HR, K, or BB. Run scoring on the whole has remained fairly constant, so the hitters' approach is working, but it just creates a more boring game where athleticism isn't as much of a factor.

msstate7
06-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Shotgun, mlb is getting so boring. I watch the braves religiously (unfortunately), but can't even watch a game with without the braves. Baseball has to do something bc the product is terrible

Rex54
06-12-2021, 12:09 PM
Shotgun, mlb is getting so boring. I watch the braves religiously (unfortunately), but can't even watch a game with without the braves. Baseball has to do something bc the product is terrible

Been saying this for a while.

College right now is about perfect, hope it stays that way.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2021, 12:16 PM
Been saying this for a while.

College right now is about perfect, hope it stays that way.

Not as good as softball though, right?

MoreCowbell
06-12-2021, 05:43 PM
It's a multi-facetted issue.

College baseball is headed towards the same 3 outcome problem MLB has: HR, BB, K & very little action on the bases or defensively.

This is due to a few reasons:

1. Technology has allowed pitchers to make major gains due to pitch design, velocity building, & game planning.
2. However, what technology has found is that high fast balls are the best fastballs to create swing & miss. They give up more HRs though.
3. Hitters on the other hand, have realized that getting 3 hits in an inning off pitchers that have used pitch design & are throwing 95 is extremely unlikely. Thus, they are trying to hit HRs.

The end result is that we've got 3 outcomes. HR, K, or BB. Run scoring on the whole has remained fairly constant, so the hitters' approach is working, but it just creates a more boring game where athleticism isn't as much of a factor.

Would the option of moving fences back 20/30 feet make a big difference?

SailingDawg
06-12-2021, 05:53 PM
Warm weather allows for further distance as well.

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2021, 08:15 PM

I understand and this issue is what instigated substance crack down in MLB. Trying to created more contact.

The other thing you can do is ban shifts. Require that 2 infielders are on either side of 2B.

Could also lower the mound.

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Would the option of moving fences back 20/30 feet make a big difference?

Maybe but these stadiums don't have room

R2Dawg
06-12-2021, 08:25 PM
The stadiums didn't change but one thing that bugs me about baseball. There should not be so much difference in ballparks.

What if you played a basketball game where one court was 10 ft longer or rim an inch lower or football where it was only 90 yards. Baseball is just weird that way.

Rex54
06-12-2021, 09:16 PM
I understand and this issue is what instigated substance crack down in MLB. Trying to created more contact.

The other thing you can do is ban shifts. Require that 2 infielders are on either side of 2B.

Could also lower the mound.

And move the mound back.

Rex54
06-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Not as good as softball though, right?

Softball is a joke sport.