This weekend. Start hydrating today.

Hot Rock
06-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Wow, that happened quick.

Johnson85
06-11-2021, 10:15 AM

That seems like it will be great for us. Not for the fans so much, but surely the team will be more prepared for that than ND.

ETA: Well, I guess that ignores how it will impact how far the balls travel. That may work against us.

Saltydog
06-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Anyone remember the Stanford engineer a couple of years ago that told us the ball travels further in the cold weather than the hot. I'm thinking it was on this site but I may be wrong.

Fred Garvin
06-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Anyone remember the Stanford engineer a couple of years ago that told us the ball travels further in the cold weather than the hot. I'm thinking it was on this site but I may be wrong.

Balls travel farther in hot air. Hot air is less dense.

Saltydog
06-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Balls travel farther in hot air. Hot air is less dense.

I've forgotten his rationale for making that statement. Had something to do with humidity but yeah from my days playing both baseball and golfing there's no doubt the ball travels further in the heat.

Fred Garvin
06-11-2021, 01:21 PM
The Ideal Gas Law states that when temperature goes up, air density goes down (all else being equal).

Rex54
06-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Hot air gases expand and become less dense. Makes balls fly further.

confucius say
06-11-2021, 02:16 PM
I personally don't see it, but that is what the weather guy said

Johnson85
06-11-2021, 02:20 PM
I've forgotten his rationale for making that statement. Had something to do with humidity but yeah from my days playing both baseball and golfing there's no doubt the ball travels further in the heat.

Was he arguing that the balls absorbed moisture and became less bouncy? That's something I've been seen claimed before. The place I saw it either claimed the Rockies could (or maybe even claimed that they actually did) keep their balls in basically a humidor set to keep humidity high to reduce the number of home runs at their stadium.

ETA: And that effect supposedly outweighs the effect of having humidity in the air (which also makes the air less dense b/c water vapor will be less dense than what it is displacing, which seems intuitively wrong to me; seems like humid air would be denser).

Apoplectic
06-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Was he arguing that the balls absorbed moisture and became less bouncy? That's something I've been seen claimed before. The place I saw it either claimed the Rockies could (or maybe even claimed that they actually did) keep their balls in basically a humidor set to keep humidity high to reduce the number of home runs at their stadium.

ETA: And that effect supposedly outweighs the effect of having humidity in the air (which also makes the air less dense b/c water vapor will be less dense than what it is displacing, which seems intuitively wrong to me; seems like humid air would be denser).

Mol wt of water is 18 vs 29 for air

Saltydog
06-11-2021, 02:45 PM

I can't recall to be honest......I'm sure the thread is still out there though......Would've been roughly two years ago........

RocketDawg
06-11-2021, 06:18 PM
Wow, that happened quick.

Indeed it did. Just a couple weeks ago it was nice and cool with 40s in the mornings.

Our team might withstand it a little better, but nobody really gets used to a 108 heat index. That's dangerously hot regardless of where you are.

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2021, 01:00 AM
I haven't seen any models showing it that high. The NAM3k was the most ambitious with indexes around 102 or so. Most were keeping it in the upper 90's. The main concern will be dodging storms. Hopefully, we get tomorrow's game in before the storms get cranked up. Some storms tomorrow could be on the severe side.

Maroonthirteen
06-12-2021, 08:35 AM
It is going to be brutal on the starting pitchers today. 5-6 innings tops. I hope our bullpen is ready ready.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2021, 08:49 AM
It is going to be brutal on the starting pitchers today. 5-6 innings tops. I hope our bullpen is ready ready.

5 to 6 innings? Hell, we'd kill for that! The problem is if a storm hits during the game and we have to pull Bednar early.

confucius say
06-12-2021, 08:53 AM
It looks like we will be delayed if this radar holds.

confucius say
06-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Heat index is already 100 per my weather app. Steamy.

RocketDawg
06-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Officially at the GTR airport it's 90 with a heat index of 105 at 1 p.m. Humidity is 68%. That's pretty brutal.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=7&y=270&site=hun&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=7&map_y=270#.YMT7wS9h0nU

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2021, 02:31 PM
Now 108.