PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis and Fristoe

State82
06-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Anybody by chance have a clip of the Lemonis trip to the mound to yank Fristoe yesterday? That was some funny stuff. Never seen him that pissed.

Jack Lambert
06-08-2021, 04:21 PM
He could not get the ball over the plate.

preachermatt83
06-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Lol. He was talking under his breath all the way out there. Reminded me of my dad when I was a kid. Only he would have had a cigarette hanging from his lip. Lol

State82
06-08-2021, 04:25 PM
Did not realize Lemonis could even move that fast. He was on a serious mission.

RocketDawg
06-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Did not realize Lemonis could even move that fast. He was on a serious mission.

Is it my imagination, or has he actually porked up a good bit since coming to Starkville?

TNDawg35
06-08-2021, 05:53 PM
Is it my imagination, or has he actually porked up a good bit since coming to Starkville?

If he lost weight, everyone would be saying he is JoMo 2.0..***

Coach34
06-08-2021, 06:18 PM
One thing I do like about Lemon is that he doesnt baby the pitchers. He will get on their ass. I'm the same way. I was a sinkerballer/splitfinger FB guy that pounded the zone and have never been able to understand all these guys with all this arm talent that cant find the strike zone. It's ridiculous

I would have told him to go to the bullpen after I pulled him so he wouldnt infect our dugout.

CaptainObvious
06-08-2021, 06:34 PM
NM

Commercecomet24
06-08-2021, 07:01 PM
I've done the same thing pulling a pitcher. My daughter called it the nod of shame. Nothing infuriates me more than guys with tons of arm talent nibbling or just plain missing. Attack the freaking hitters!

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2021, 07:56 PM
NM

I hope you are joking. Why abandon the coach that gave you SEC rotation innings as a freshman?

I?m going to say that Fristoe hardens up and comes back stronger and better in 2022

Coach34
06-08-2021, 08:05 PM
If he leaves? He leaves. There is no 1 year sit rule now. There will be a constant flow and shift of players. We are Mississippi State- players will beg to play here. We need to do a better job of grabbing power hitters.

cujo
06-08-2021, 09:01 PM
If he leaves? He leaves. There is no 1 year sit rule now. There will be a constant flow and shift of players. We are Mississippi State- players will beg to play here. We need to do a better job of grabbing power hitters.

Would like to see him in maroon and white

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2021, 11:04 PM
Would like to see him in maroon and white

Fristoe is a candidate for Friday night next year, probably the leading candidate.

Fristoe - Cade - Brandon - Tepper

We may have all kinds of John Hardens, Ross Mitchells, and Jacob Billingsleys begging to play at MSU, but we are trying to match 1st round picks with LSU, Florida, and Vandy. Those guys are not exactly begging us.

preachermatt83
06-09-2021, 12:08 AM
Fristoe is a candidate for Friday night next year, probably the leading candidate.

Fristoe - Cade - Brandon - Tepper

We may have all kinds of John Hardens, Ross Mitchells, and Jacob Billingsleys begging to play at MSU, but we are trying to match 1st round picks with LSU, Florida, and Vandy. Those guys are not exactly begging us.

I’d be shocked if Landon sims is not out Friday night starter next year

Hambone
06-09-2021, 12:16 AM
Max effort guy. He’ll be our closer again next year I bet

MoreCowbell
06-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Lol. He was talking under his breath all the way out there. Reminded me of my dad when I was a kid. Only he would have had a cigarette hanging from his lip. Lol

This cracked me up

Cowbell
06-09-2021, 04:57 AM

It's not your imagination. Hopefully he can work on that because he looks uncomfortable.

StarkVegasSteve
06-09-2021, 12:44 PM
Fristoe will be fine. He's a Freshman that has never pitched this many innings and remember, he pitched basically zero innings last spring. For right now, he's still my pick to be the Friday or Saturday guy next year depending on what we do about Landon.

R2Dawg
06-09-2021, 12:54 PM
Fristoe will be fine. He's a Freshman that has never pitched this many innings and remember, he pitched basically zero innings last spring. For right now, he's still my pick to be the Friday or Saturday guy next year depending on what we do about Landon.

Tend to agree. He is just young; needs to make some strides before next year. Hard to see Sims only pitching a 2-3 innings a weekend unless we get some really good starters. If we don't you gotta put Sims in. If we get 2-3 good starters then Sims to close is a serious weapon. We need to land a few big time pitchers.

StarkVegasSteve
06-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Tend to agree. He is just young; needs to make some strides before next year. Hard to see Sims only pitching a 2-3 innings a weekend unless we get some really good starters. If we don't you gotta put Sims in. If we get 2-3 good starters then Sims to close is a serious weapon. We need to land a few big time pitchers.

That's why it would be awesome to be able to get Bruns to come to school. I think Fristoe, Cade, and him would be a hell of a weekend rotation and let Tepper take the weekdays.

West Tn Dawg
06-09-2021, 01:26 PM
You can see it here at the 25 minute mark. Give me that damn Ball!! (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/00122a2a-547d-4357-b569-9d7c178fa634)

BB30
06-09-2021, 01:52 PM
One thing I do like about Lemon is that he doesnt baby the pitchers. He will get on their ass. I'm the same way. I was a sinkerballer/splitfinger FB guy that pounded the zone and have never been able to understand all these guys with all this arm talent that cant find the strike zone. It's ridiculous

I would have told him to go to the bullpen after I pulled him so he wouldnt infect our dugout.

Out of curiosity, how long did you play? Highschool? College?

strike zone gets just a touch tighter and is tighter now than it ever has been in the past. Playing in front of 13K-15K is different from playing in front of 35 people and SEC hitters are a little better at squaring up FB down the middle.

Smaller, more compact guys generally find it easier to find the strike zone compared to longer/Taller guys. That is why you will see some guys with great arm talent in college that never could put it together at that level figuring it out as a minor league guy and having success at the big league level.

Every pitcher develops at a different rate and learns to deal with all of the above external factors at a different pace. I didn't put it all together until my Junior year of college once my athleticism caught up with my growth spurt. (I went from 5'10 125 to 6'4 185 my jr summer of highschool into my senior summer of highschool. It took almost 2 years for me to lose the baby giraffe coordination and get to where I could consistently repeat my delivery despite the fact that I gained about 20 MPH in velo over a 6 month period. Went from throwing 70 MPH my Jr high school summer to 90-92 my freshman fall of college. Now my scenario was a little odd because most don't grow that much in such a short period of time. I was a strike thrower up until the growth spurt and was a strike thrower my Jr and Sr year of college and that carried over into pro ball. So I had 2 years where I completely lost the ability to consistently throw strikes. During that 2 year period I was either on or off, there was no in between and you would know within the first 2 or 3 hitters whether or not I would have it that day.

I think some kids are just soft and let outside noise bother them and then I think some kids just need more mound time/more time in the weight room etc. to improve the coordination and get better at repeating their delivery consistently. The former is much harder to fix than the latter.

Cerantola is a good example. He was a bit of a late bloomer. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that kid figure it out over the next 3-5 years and be a big league #1 or #2 several years from now.

ScoobaDawg
06-09-2021, 03:11 PM

strike zone gets just a touch tighter and is tighter now than it ever has been in the past. Playing in front of 13K-15K is different from playing in front of 35 people and SEC hitters are a little better at squaring up FB down the middle.

Smaller, more compact guys generally find it easier to find the strike zone compared to longer/Taller guys. That is why you will see some guys with great arm talent in college that never could put it together at that level figuring it out as a minor league guy and having success at the big league level.

Every pitcher develops at a different rate and learns to deal with all of the above external factors at a different pace. I didn't put it all together until my Junior year of college once my athleticism caught up with my growth spurt. (I went from 5'10 125 to 6'4 185 my jr summer of highschool into my senior summer of highschool. It took almost 2 years for me to lose the baby giraffe coordination and get to where I could consistently repeat my delivery despite the fact that I gained about 20 MPH in velo over a 6 month period. Went from throwing 70 MPH my Jr high school summer to 90-92 my freshman fall of college. Now my scenario was a little odd because most don't grow that much in such a short period of time. I was a strike thrower up until the growth spurt and was a strike thrower my Jr and Sr year of college and that carried over into pro ball. So I had 2 years where I completely lost the ability to consistently throw strikes. During that 2 year period I was either on or off, there was no in between and you would know within the first 2 or 3 hitters whether or not I would have it that day.

I think some kids are just soft and let outside noise bother them and then I think some kids just need more mound time/more time in the weight room etc. to improve the coordination and get better at repeating their delivery consistently. The former is much harder to fix than the latter.

Cerantola is a good example. He was a bit of a late bloomer. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that kid figure it out over the next 3-5 years and be a big league #1 or #2 several years from now.

Good post. we have to remember Fristoe didn't get to play his Sr season of baseball due to covid.

shoeless joe
06-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Good post. we have to remember Fristoe didn't get to play his Sr season of baseball due to covid.

He’s also very high strung…not meaning that as a negative. But he’s wound extremely tight on the mound. Guys like that generally don’t do a good job of figuring it out once thing s start rolling down hill.

It’s somethin he can get better at as he matures but it will always be there. And it is definitely a factor that has gotten him to where he is and be as good as he is.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2021, 05:38 PM
He’s also very high strung…not meaning that as a negative. But he’s wound extremely tight on the mound. Guys like that generally don’t do a good job of figuring it out once thing s start rolling down hill.

It’s somethin he can get better at as he matures but it will always be there. And it is definitely a factor that has gotten him to where he is and be as good as he is.

Dr Msstate7 said we should have given Cerantola Xanax.

Women carry that stuff around like mints, must be easy to get a script.

It will be damn shame if we have another Canadian on the team and some say another Canadian on the way in the recruiting class.

Coach34
06-09-2021, 05:46 PM

I pitched from the time I was 8 years thru HS and juco until I was 35 playing semi-pro. I completely understand players develop at different rates and such, however alot of the hard throwers don't develop the way they should because they just depend on throwing it by people instead of learning how to pitch. Harding is a perfect example of a "pitcher" as opposed to be a "thrower" like Fristoe. A pitcher can 4 seam or two seam. A pitcher changes speeds on his FB and breaking ball. A pitcher works the seams for movement.

I enjoy watching Mac when he has it all together. He is able to get his CB where he wants and bounce it to get some easy K's. You can really see he and Bednar are in sync when they are able to get that 4-seamer around the neck for guys to chase. I wish Mac could 2-seam the ball back in to LH'ed hitters to tie them up more.

But again- as someone that always had great control it just angers me to see guys that struggle with walks- especially leadoff walks. Guys completely missing the side of the plate from where the location was given. To me thats just a lack of work being put in or not mentally where they need to be.

Coach34
06-09-2021, 05:48 PM

Now that is an excellent point. Temperament and personality are very important in pitching.

PMDawg
06-09-2021, 07:17 PM
semi-pro.

Roy Hobbs league doesn't count.