PDA

View Full Version : How can MSU become more socially committed?

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Sometimes I think people take Bo the wrong way when he degrades MSU and talks well about OM. Bo is smart because I think he is trying get MSU to step up and start playing the game the right way. OM fans are all in on recruiting weekends, let their famous football players into bars, etc..

Throw Bracky out of the equation, how do we, as a university and fanbase, become more socially committed to recruiting and making our university the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I think Ole Miss does have two distinct advantages over MSU when it comes to being socially committed:

1. A centralized bar scene on the square

2. More out of state students that can't go home on the weekend, and thus stay in town and party.

How do we get better at this?

CJDAWG85
11-13-2013, 09:30 AM
1. Cotton district is MSU's answer. Although it's pretty cool having 5-6 bars within walking distance, none can hold a really big crowd. It needs about 2 more bigger restaurant/bars in my opinion.

DCdawg
11-13-2013, 09:38 AM
I agree with CJDAWG85. The city needs to figure out how to keep students in town when there isn't a game that weekend and the cotton district really has to be a focus. The laundromat and the car repair place need to go. Since it's already got a New Orleans feeling, I think the surrounding buildings need to have that feel too.

Coach34
11-13-2013, 09:44 AM
The coaching staff needs to realize that our big recruiting weekend in January needs to be a planned event. Fans coming in to stay in Sville for the big weekend, a concert of some type, frat parties errywhere, packed restaurants and bars...school spirit out the ass that weekend.

Recruiting is more than just the staff doing their job- we have to help them sell Starkville to these guys

Barking 13
11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
The coaching staff needs to realize that our big recruiting weekend in January needs to be a planned event. Fans coming in to stay in Sville for the big weekend, a concert of some type, frat parties errywhere, packed restaurants and bars...school spirit out the ass that weekend.

Recruiting is more than just the staff doing their job- we have to help them sell Starkville to these guys

With truckloads of hookers

DawgInMemphis
11-13-2013, 09:48 AM

I think you can get that at Costco. Bulk pricing and all that...

Coach34
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM

That seems to be a good current recruiting technique

Ragingclue
11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
We have a huge advantage that we once used and have somehow let get lost in the shuffle. 2 words - PINK PONY!!!

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Hell; I could be wrong here, but do we even bring in "uncommitted" prospects on our big weekend other than maybe one or two?? Without going back and looking, it seems like our big weekend usually consist of the committed guys that we've had in the fold for the past 6 months where 90% of them don't have any other place to go.

We could have the biggest party in the world, but if we don't bring any prospects in to partake, what the hell good does it do?

maroonmania
11-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Exactly, this is where Freeze and Co. are beating the pants off of us. The big recruiting weekend in Oxford doesn't just spontaneously happen, it is organized from the administration to the coaching staff to the Greek leadership to the hostesses to every other campus organization. Our staff and administration are scared to death to organize anything and our compliance department does nothing but tell everyone what they can't do while doing nothing to promote recruiting by assisting a recruiting "event" by letting folks be aware of some of the positives we can do. We not only don't push the envelope in recruiting, we stay so far away from the envelope that we sit at a real disadvantage with not only the other SEC school in the state but ALL of the other SEC schools. There were multiple players just last year that signed with OM that didn't even have them high on their list but after the big recruiting weekend flipped to them. Yes, I'm sure there was under the table stuff going on but even with that a kid is not going to sign somewhere he is not interested in going to. Most athletes are definitely looking for a place not only to play ball but also to go and have fun during their college years. We are great at playing up the hard work, developmental part for football but LOUSY at playing up having fun while at school.

Coach34
11-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Hell; I could be wrong here, but do we even bring in "uncommitted" prospects on our big weekend other than maybe one or two?? Without going back and looking, it seems like our big weekend usually consist of the committed guys that we've had in the fold for the past 6 months where 90% of them don't have any other place to go.

We could have the biggest party in the world, but if we don't bring any prospects in to partake, what the hell good does it do?

If it gets us one quality recruit- its worth it

Goat Holder
11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Get rid of the negativity. It serves no purpose. You don't have to lie, just don't dog your own school. I mean, the recruits will see Starkville/MSU as it is, they don't need any help from negative folks. Put your best foot forward, and if they like it, well that's great. If they don't, well go where you do like it. MSU students need to up their self esteem as a whole. What did Winston Churchill say? "For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else."

As for keeping students in town, make Starkville a better option for weekend activities than their hometown and they'll stay. A growing enrollment will help this as well.

Jack Lambert
11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Sometimes I think people take Bo the wrong way when he degrades MSU and talks well about OM. Bo is smart because I think he is trying get MSU to step up and start playing the game the right way. OM fans are all in on recruiting weekends, let their famous football players into bars, etc..

Throw Bracky out of the equation, how do we, as a university and fanbase, become more socially committed to recruiting and making our university the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I think Ole Miss does have two distinct advantages over MSU when it comes to being socially committed:

1. A centralized bar scene on the square

2. More out of state students that can't go home on the weekend, and thus stay in town and party.

How do we get better at this?

Bo says what he say because of advertisers.

DawgInMemphis
11-13-2013, 10:52 AM
For all the grief that everyone on here gives Bracky, do any of you actually know him? It's my impression that he's a MSU guy. It makes no sense that he's of the mindset to do anything and everything to keep us squeaky clean. Collegiate athletics is big business... and like all big business, you've got to get your hands a little dirty. Is it simply a "he's in over his head" thing? Surely the guy doesn't enjoy "helping" one of our athletes miss a season and a half...

notsofarawaydawg
11-13-2013, 11:08 AM
For all the grief that everyone on here gives Bracky, do any of you actually know him? It's my impression that he's a MSU guy. It makes no sense that he's of the mindset to do anything and everything to keep us squeaky clean. Collegiate athletics is big business... and like all big business, you've got to get your hands a little dirty. Is it simply a "he's in over his head" thing? Surely the guy doesn't enjoy "helping" one of our athletes miss a season and a half...

I'm sure Bracky only does what his boss, the university president, tells him to do.

missouridawg
11-13-2013, 11:13 AM
My comment is slightly off-topic, but I thought it may add some substance here.

If you guys want to see what a fan-base does on social media to help recruiting, go look at Cory Thomas' twitter. He's re-tweeted about 100 tweets from TN fans congratulating him on committing.

And yes, the Cotton District is where it's at for Starkville. We need a "Bulldog Bash" to occur on our big recruiting weekend.

CJDAWG85
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
My friend owns Gringos and we were sitting there last Friday after the game and 2 girls from The Pony were handing out Free Admission cards and trying to get all the guys in the bar to come there.

TheRef
11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
My friend owns Gringos and we were sitting there last Friday after the game and 2 girls from The Pony were handing out Free Admission cards and trying to get all the guys in the bar to come there.

When is Gringos getting their liquor license? Or do you know that?

Ragingclue
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
We need to embrace these Pink Pony girls in every way imaginable. They are the real Stars and the Destiny of our football program. Upon arrivi on campus, recruits should be driven directly to visit these ladies.

TheRef
11-13-2013, 11:26 AM
We need to embrace these Pink Pony girls in every way imaginable. They are the real Stars and the Destiny of our football program. Upon arrivi on campus, recruits should be driven directly to visit these ladies.

For this suggestion, Bracky is suspending Redmond for the rest of the season and 4 games next season.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-13-2013, 11:28 AM
1. Cotton district is MSU's answer. Although it's pretty cool having 5-6 bars within walking distance, none can hold a really big crowd. It needs about 2 more bigger restaurant/bars in my opinion.

Need to allow open containers in the district on the weekend.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM

If you guys want to see what a fan-base does on social media to help recruiting, go look at Cory Thomas' twitter. He's re-tweeted about 100 tweets from TN fans congratulating him on committing.

And yes, the Cotton District is where it's at for Starkville. We need a "Bulldog Bash" to occur on our big recruiting weekend.
Bracky would rule whoever we did that to ineligible. Probably the only compliance dept in the SEC that doesn't just look the other way.

EAVdog
11-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Everyone here should get an account if they don't have one, or make a MSU oriented account, go follow some croots and pump some damn sunshine. It works, I tweet or re-tweet to croots short positive messages when something comes up in my timeline. Like you said we're way behind when it comes to our fan bass being engaged in making our croots feel wanted. No catfishing please.

hailmari
11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I agree with CJDAWG85. The city needs to figure out how to keep students in town when there isn't a game that weekend and the cotton district really has to be a focus. The laundromat and the car repair place need to go. Since it's already got a New Orleans feeling, I think the surrounding buildings need to have that feel too.

I've been saying the same thing since I've been in Starkville. The district is ALMOST pretty cool, then you see this repair shop and the flow instantly dies way too soon before hitting campus. Thankfully, Little Dooeys realized how to properly utilize their big back porch area. They have a good scene there now.. if only it was a bit closer to the district.

It wouldn't hurt if a couple of those small houses would be cleaned up a little either.. But I'm a neat freak.

Thick
11-13-2013, 12:12 PM
WIN, and totally commit to WINNING!!! You can't build crap in Starkville until EVERYONE is committed to winning...period! Why would I, as an investor, want to throw money into something that depends on the success of MSU athletics for me to get a return. We can't utilize the damn massive TV we built on top of the Seal properly! A town of 20k depends on the university to stay afloat, and a large majority of that success depends on WINNING in sports to keep bars, hotels, restaurants, and other businesses open. Not to mention it boosts enrollment.

MSU has historically had a very hard time buying into a loser. OM just needed one season of success, and everybody got on board. We have been successful for the past 3 years, and we still struggle to buy-in to the "All in" mantra!

I thinking about buying a condo in Starkville for my family just because of Cohen and our baseball program. I would really like that investment to be useful year round. The bar and restaurant owners really need to get on board with the big recruiting weekends to start the process. Then the student body need to get their party on as well for those weekends.

Tailgate Superstar
11-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Chuck, who owned "Chuck's BP', the auto repair shop referenced earlier in this post, passed away last week. There might be the potential for someone to come in and open up a Bar/Restaurant in that space in the future. It's a great location.

Thick
11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Really, I hate hear that!

AugustaDawg
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Get rid of the negativity. It serves no purpose. You don't have to lie, just don't dog your own school. I mean, the recruits will see Starkville/MSU as it is, they don't need any help from negative folks. Put your best foot forward, and if they like it, well that's great. If they don't, well go where you do like it. MSU students need to up their self esteem as a whole. What did Winston Churchill say? "For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else."

As for keeping students in town, make Starkville a better option for weekend activities than their hometown and they'll stay. A growing enrollment will help this as well.

Man, you are exactly right. There's a difference between negativity for negativity's sake and constructive criticism. There is far too much negativity and too little constructive discussion, IMO. Nothing good comes out of being negative. No sense in adding any more fuel to the fire. I truly feel sorry for people that always see the glass half empty. Whether it be life in general, work, or even sports... life is just too short. In my personal experience having a positive attitude leads to positive results

-"Negativity limits, constrains and tears down. Negativity also tends to escalate, and as it does, it strips away future opportunities for success, self-esteem, trust, confidence, and growth."

-"Positivity paves the way for growth, and growth breeds success"

As fans, maybe we should start holding ourselves accountable. Instead of beating down a dead horse with the repetitive negative comments we should be figuring out ways that we can help add value to our program. There are things we can do without the help and guidance of our Athletic Department. I'm not saying I have all the answers, but as a collective effort I feel like we can have a pretty substantial role with things moving forward.

For starters, we need to figure out what we are good at and what our niche is in Starkville and at Miss. State and starting pushing those things through the social media outlets. While I understand we cannot ignore the things we don't do well; however, if we focus on the things we are good at and making them better the rest should work itself out. It's all about public perception.

And yes, centralizing the bar scene in Starkville will help the town out tremendously.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2013, 02:23 PM

This is all that needs to be said.

maroonmania
11-13-2013, 02:41 PM
This is all that needs to be said.

Exactly, having a vision and organizational skills to elevate recruiting is the single biggest downfall of our coaching staff. But when you have a HC like Mullen that doesn't really like recruiting (and Croom was the same way) you get what you get. Freeze eats the recruiting stuff up.

SoJackDog
11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
More bag men and Lolita's.

Dawg61
11-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Sorry but MSU isn't filled with the high school girl mentality like Ole Miss is. We will never win this battle and that's not a bad thing. Take this shit to the sororities and give them a huge bonus to the sorority that lands the most recruits. They can tweet and Facebook with the best of them.

HunterDawg
11-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Man, you are exactly right. There's a difference between negativity for negativity's sake and constructive criticism. There is far too much negativity and too little constructive discussion, IMO. Nothing good comes out of being negative. No sense in adding any more fuel to the fire. I truly feel sorry for people that always see the glass half empty. Whether it be life in general, work, or even sports... life is just too short. In my personal experience having a positive attitude leads to positive results

-"Negativity limits, constrains and tears down. Negativity also tends to escalate, and as it does, it strips away future opportunities for success, self-esteem, trust, confidence, and growth."

-"Positivity paves the way for growth, and growth breeds success"

As fans, maybe we should start holding ourselves accountable. Instead of beating down a dead horse with the repetitive negative comments we should be figuring out ways that we can help add value to our program. There are things we can do without the help and guidance of our Athletic Department. I'm not saying I have all the answers, but as a collective effort I feel like we can have a pretty substantial role with things moving forward.

For starters, we need to figure out what we are good at and what our niche is in Starkville and at Miss. State and starting pushing those things through the social media outlets. While I understand we cannot ignore the things we don't do well; however, if we focus on the things we are good at and making them better the rest should work itself out. It's all about public perception.

And yes, centralizing the bar scene in Starkville will help the town out tremendously.

Thanks Dr. Phil.

Could you give us the Dave Ramsay talk, too.

bully99
11-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Some of the crap on message boards is just nuts. When is the last time you heard a player say he went to a college because of the bars. Last time I looked the drinking age was 21. How many of you went to State because of the drinking establishments. Hell when I was in Starkville they had an x-rated drive in movie theatre near campus. Why don't we bring that back so we can take athletes there for them to wack off. Stupid

EnterpriseDawg
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Some of the crap on message boards is just nuts. When is the last time you heard a player say he went to a college because of the bars. Last time I looked the drinking age was 21. How many of you went to State because of the drinking establishments. Hell when I was in Starkville they had an x-rated drive in movie theatre near campus. Why don't we bring that back so we can take athletes there for them to wack off. Stupid

Hell yeah! That's what I'm talking about. Beer, porn and hookers. If that doesn't draw em in nothing will.

Barking 13
11-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Ahhh, the Lakeside..... motocross in the day, porn at night..lol