PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame @ MSU 2000 Regional

CovertDawg
06-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Ok...who was in the house for this? This is pretty close to peak Dudy Noble in my opinion. I love our new stadium and it was necessary but there will always be something any baseball romantic will find very appealing about the less refined version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ypCvrsF4o

preachermatt83
06-08-2021, 10:51 AM
Oh wow. It’s hard to believe we had an exposed chain link fence in the 21st century. Smh.

MedDawg
06-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Ok...who was in the house for this? This is pretty close to peak Dudy Noble in my opinion. I love our new stadium and it was necessary but there will always be something any baseball romantic will find very appealing about the less refined version.

I was there on the right field fence. After the end, outfield fans spilled over the fence to go on the field, Dads were dropping their kids onto the warning track and climbing over.

Game reminds me of one of the games in our Super Regional at Vandy. State took a lead then Vandy caught up late, then State won it on a HR.

We had the MState logo in 2000?

Rex54
06-08-2021, 11:28 AM
I was there. If I remember right their catcher O'Toole trucked our catcher or something along those lines and we booed the hell out of him all weekend.

That was a long time ago in my memory but I do remember booing him specifically. Anyone else remember that?

sscjr1
06-08-2021, 11:29 AM
I was there with my roommate. Never forget the batter falling down on a called strike from Donny. We booked our rooms and got our tickets for Clemson as soon as they came out

Mjoelner34
06-08-2021, 12:31 PM
I was there. Anybody remember the storm that hit during the Notre Dame/Tulane elimination game? I remember hearing a bunch of yelling and screaming then I looked to my right from my spot in CF. I swear there was a 60 foot high wall of dirt, gravel, coolers and lawn chairs coming at us from down that gravel road that used to run right behind the lounge. We all abandoned ship and hopped under our trailer. Then the lights went out and the game was postponed. At midnight, on the way home from Whitaker's or Polliwogs (I forget who owned it that long ago) I saw the lights back on at midnight so I stopped by and watched them finish their game.

StarkVegasSteve
06-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Oh wow. It’s hard to believe we had an exposed chain link fence in the 21st century. Smh.

The first time I remember not having that chain link fence was the 07 Supers against Clemson

SailingDawg
06-08-2021, 01:15 PM
We pushed it over on the way to the infield after winning a regional. We knew they were tearing it down and they didn't stop us. I'm bad with years, so someone help me out.

Mjoelner34
06-08-2021, 02:13 PM
I remember in 1990 a bunch of us may or may not have (in case Cohen is reading) tore the fence down in RF after we won the regional.

preachermatt83
06-08-2021, 02:52 PM
The first time I remember not having that chain link fence was the 07 Supers against Clemson
Gosh that’s insane.

Percho
06-08-2021, 02:54 PM

The vid following that one is also great.

Gutter Cobreh
06-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Don't forget that Notre Dame team was coached by none other than Paul Mainieri!

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2021, 11:20 PM
Back then fans rushed the field. I did that in 1990. Tracy Echols and I gave each other a high-five.

I was one of the little kids that chased foul balls in the left field bleachers. We also talked to the bullpen pitchers from the visiting teams.

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2021, 11:28 PM
I remember in 1990 a bunch of us may or may not have (in case Cohen is reading) tore the fence down in RF after we won the regional.

I was the first over the fence with some fellow U-8 fans. If some drunk college dudes messed up the fence, it wasn't me or my pals.

I am pretty sure the fence jumpers probably wrecked many coolers that people in RF had placed next to the fence. The coolers were being used as the boosters for the jump.

Tbonewannabe
06-09-2021, 05:06 AM
I was there. If I remember right their catcher O'Toole trucked our catcher or something along those lines and we booed the hell out of him all weekend.

That was a long time ago in my memory but I do remember booing him specifically. Anyone else remember that?

We booed him the next year also because he was still on the team in 2001.

shrimp
06-09-2021, 10:18 AM
I was there. I really enjoyed the big time HRs by our guys, sans the pimp jobs that are so prevalent today. Get off my lawn!!

ScoobaDawg
06-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Alright someone remind me.. did I just makeup that Matthew Maniscalco was one of the best fielding SS we ever had... or was that just because he was just the best I had seen when I started watching the dawgs play baseball.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Alright someone remind me.. did I just makeup that Matthew Maniscalco was one of the best fielding SS we ever had... or was that just because he was just the best I had seen when I started watching the dawgs play baseball.

Brad Hildreth was very good and he was a complete player defender and hitter....he posts here, no?

Some Cats might be Jon Shave fans, but BH actually held the position until Shave took over. Then, Adam Frazier was a set and forget starter for us. We were a ground ball fielding machine in the time of Frazier-Pirtle. Maniscalco was very good.

So for me BH, Shave, and Frazier are all good. With Shave being our MLB level SS.

ScoobaDawg
06-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Brad Hildreth was very good and he was a complete player defender and hitter....he posts here, no?

Some Cats might be Jon Shave fans, but BH actually held the position until Shave took over. Then, Adam Frazier was a set and forget starter for us. We were a ground ball fielding machine in the time of Frazier-Pirtle. Maniscalco was very good.

So for me BH, Shave, and Frazier are all good. With Shave being our MLB level SS.

Yea... wasn't watching baseball back when Cohen was playing, so did know about Brad till just googled him.

Yep can't forget about Frazier- Pirtle (power) connection. I miss having that magical ability to know a roll-em double play was coming at any time.

Tbonewannabe
06-09-2021, 12:57 PM

I personally think Maniscalco is the best defensive SS we ever had but I didn't start actually going to games until 98.

Reunion Dog
06-10-2021, 02:14 AM
I was there and I can tell you that the ND pitchers.. both games were nervous as hell... They had NEVER seen anything like that in there life ..

The crowd for that series was unbelievable... Into every pitch...

The crowd last week was ok... But damn folks can sit on their hands alot these days...

Hope that changes this wkend!

basedog
06-10-2021, 07:34 AM
I was there and I can tell you that the ND pitchers.. both games were nervous as hell... They had NEVER seen anything like that in there life ..

The crowd for that series was unbelievable... Into every pitch...

The crowd last week was ok... But damn folks can sit on their hands alot these days...

Hope that changes this wkend!

UnionDog, I've been going to Msu baseball games probably longer than anyone who post on ED. I'm not as vocal as I use to be, but I do get up and cheer and have fun with folks around me. I'm kinda like that song Toby Keith sings, "I ain"t as good as I once was, but I'm good once As I ever was". So forgive me as one day I hope you live long enough to know how it feels. LOL!

Captain Falcon
06-10-2021, 11:59 AM
We were not at the Ty Martin walk-off game but we did go to the Saturday game against them that we won handily. Listened to Jim call the games for 6-7 hours the next day. They smoked us in the first game, the second one is an all time classic in our history. Sounded awesome on the radio, would have loved to have been there live.

Tbonewannabe
06-10-2021, 02:14 PM
We were not at the Ty Martin walk-off game but we did go to the Saturday game against them that we won handily. Listened to Jim call the games for 6-7 hours the next day. They smoked us in the first game, the second one is an all time classic in our history. Sounded awesome on the radio, would have loved to have been there live.

My wife and I were in right field. She turned down jumping over the fence but my fat ass got over the wall and ended up doing snow angels in the outfield. It was glorious.

BHildreth3
06-10-2021, 02:21 PM

Hildreth here, just kidding. My handle is dedicated to my favorite SS of all time. Brad had it all with Shave right behind him. I miss that 1989 team and THAT was the team that SHOULD HAVE WON IT ALL. We had everything you would want (speed, power, pitching). I think that team still has single season records for hits, 2bs, HRs, RBIs and had Pete Young closing it out, after Jon Harden was throwing 50 mph curveballs!

ScoobaDawg
06-10-2021, 02:39 PM
Hildreth here, just kidding. My handle is dedicated to my favorite SS of all time. Brad had it all with Shave right behind him. I miss that 1989 team and THAT was the team that SHOULD HAVE WON IT ALL. We had everything you would want (speed, power, pitching). I think that team still has single season records for hits, 2bs, HRs, RBIs and had Pete Young closing it out, after Jon Harden was throwing 50 mph curveballs!

89 has the record for wins at 54 and walks at 405
Hits is 4th place, (97 is 1st)
Doubles 2nd place, 2019 took 1st place
HR's 2nd place, 98 took 1st place.
RBI's 2nd place, 97 took 1st place.

Offshore Dawg
06-11-2021, 05:11 PM
None of this has any bearing on this weekend