PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Maurice Dunlap

Thick
11-13-2013, 08:38 AM
of Amanda Elzy play? He's set to sign today at 6:00 PM. I have not seen him in person, but this kid can supposedly fill it up from what I've heard. Thoughts??

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
http://www.cityleaguehoops.net/2013/01/31/maurice-dunlap-shows-nba-range-at-the-penny-hardaway-hoopfest/

Apparently the guy has NBA range. I think he's a good get.

601Dawg
11-13-2013, 08:53 AM
I have heard that he is a great shooter but needs to likely redshirt and LIVE in the the weightroom. He's a shorter version or Ravern Johnson who won't likely contribute until his 2nd or 3rd year on campus.

whosyourdawgy
11-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Damn! That is Chris Jackson range. His shot is easy effortless. Gerald Glass as his coach is a great thing for his improvement too. It appears to be a pretty dang good pick up for Coach

smootness
11-13-2013, 09:52 AM
He's definitely got something we need on this team. We need a couple of guys who can just stand on the outside and shoot bombs, and he fits the bill there.

I doubt he redshirts. We will need his shooting ASAP.

DawgInMemphis
11-13-2013, 09:59 AM
He's definitely got something we need on this team. We need a couple of guys who can just stand on the outside and shoot bombs, and he fits the bill there.

I doubt he redshirts. We will need his shooting ASAP.

Can he guard his position at the college level? I don't care if he has no handle whatsoever, if he can fill it up and play perimeter D, he'll be an asset.

smootness
11-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Can he guard his position at the college level? I don't care if he has no handle whatsoever, if he can fill it up and play perimeter D, he'll be an asset.

I have no clue, but I'm willing to put a guy out there who can't defend very well for short spurts if it means he gives us a few 3's. That is what we're missing most, outside of the lack of inside depth, right now.

C222
11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
In other recruiting news, we lost one of our main 2014 targets, William Lee, to...............UAB.

smootness
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
In other recruiting news, we lost one of our main 2014 targets, William Lee, to...............UAB.

That stinks. He also spurned Anthony Grant at Alabama, who's shown himself to be a good recruiter. Strange.

C222
11-13-2013, 10:21 AM
That stinks. He also spurned Anthony Grant at Alabama, who's shown himself to be a good recruiter. Strange.

Yep. UAB is actually putting together a decent 2014 class somehow.

smootness
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Yep. UAB is actually putting together a decent 2014 class somehow.

Who else do they have? I'm only showing Lee as committed.

DawgInMemphis
11-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I have no clue, but I'm willing to put a guy out there who can't defend very well for short spurts if it means he gives us a few 3's. That is what we're missing most, outside of the lack of inside depth, right now.

With our lack of inside depth, it's crucial that our guards can stay in front of their guy to keep our bigs from getting into foul trouble and/or giving up easy buckets to driving guards looking to score or dish it. We've got to be able to guard the perimeter.

smootness
11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
With our lack of inside depth, it's crucial that our guards can stay in front of their guy to keep our bigs from getting into foul trouble and/or giving up easy buckets to driving guards looking to score or dish it. We've got to be able to guard the perimeter.

I agree with you, but we also need outside shooting so badly to spread out the defense on the other end, I'm willing to give up some defensive ability if it means having a true shooter on the court (again, only for stretches). We can go to zone at that point to cut down on the opponent's ability to drive.

C222
11-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Who else do they have? I'm only showing Lee as committed.

Ah, I was thinking of their 2013 class. My bad. They do have a few guys signed for 2014. Jarvis Calhoun and Lee are the two good ones.

trob115
11-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Could Lee possibly had grade issues that kept him from signing in the SEC?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
11-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Ray wanted to drop Dunlap because he simply isn't big enough to be a two guard only 5'11 on a good day. However, since he was committed early on Ray felt like he had to keep him. Dunlap plays on the Jackson Tigers which is a very prominent AAU program that Malik plays on. He felt the ramifications of dropping Dunlap would be too great so he decided to keep him. Last thing you want to do is piss off arguably the most prominent AAU program in the state. Don't get your hopes up on Dunlap he isn't a difference maker and should be playing in the Sunbelt at best.

Dawg61
11-14-2013, 12:18 AM
This team needs shooters and Dunlap can shoot. Nice add

Coach34
11-14-2013, 08:25 AM
This team needs shooters and Dunlap can shoot. Nice add

the thing is- can Dunlap shoot when he is being guarded by someone that is 6'5?

Orien Watson was one of the best shooters Richard Williams ever had- but he was only 5'10 and had trouble getting off shots in SEC play

DawgInMemphis
11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
the thing is- can Dunlap shoot when he is being guarded by someone that is 6'5?

Orien Watson was one of the best shooters Richard Williams ever had- but he was only 5'10 and had trouble getting off shots in SEC play

You can alleviate this to a pretty good extent with set plays coming off screens for spot up shots. If he's a pure shooter, we can get him open looks - especially running a motion offense. He won't have to create his own shot.