PDA

View Full Version : Signals to the catcher

Homedawg
06-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Guess we know now why foxhall didn't use a device to signal pitches to the catcher's ear piece during the year. They aren't allowed in the NCAA tournament apparently. Every team that I've seen that used them during the year isn't using them now. So now they have to go to a signal system that they haven't used all year. While it shouldn't be an issue it does make sense why most teams didn't use them.

Commercecomet24
06-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Yep smart move by foxhall

msstate7
06-06-2021, 07:31 PM
Why was that allowed during season?

CadaverDawg
06-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Why was that allowed during season?

Wasn't it a SEC only trial? Maybe I'm thinking about something else

Homedawg
06-06-2021, 07:52 PM

I believe it was a league like thing as you said.

msstate7
06-06-2021, 08:03 PM

It should be history

Joebob
06-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Are the catchers no longer smart enough to call the pitches?

Homedawg
06-06-2021, 08:13 PM

Honestly... no. They don't have the same info at their disposal. Some guys sure, but it takes all the heat off the catcher and pitcher. And most pitchers can shake off if they really want to. Most don't

viverlibre
06-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Honestly... no. They don't have the same info at their disposal. Some guys sure, but it takes all the heat off the catcher and pitcher. And most pitchers can shake off if they really want to. Most don't

Up into the 70s some NFL QBs called their own plays.

Homedawg
06-06-2021, 09:55 PM

Ok..... does that mean it's the right thing to do?? Peyton Manning called most of his after 5 years too. But he's an outlier.

Coach34
06-06-2021, 10:24 PM

When did catchers call their own pitches? I havent seen that on the college level since at least the 80's

SilentSteel16
06-06-2021, 10:29 PM
I know we were just D3 but our catchers called the game, not a coach... we did make regionals so we weren’t some slack jaws.

Hambone
06-06-2021, 10:30 PM
Well you don’t pay attention to our head coach. When Foxhall was ejected earlier this year Lemonis said that Logan called all of the pitches the game Foxhall had to sit out.

SilentSteel16
06-06-2021, 10:31 PM
We also didn’t dress up in football gear like they do nowadays either. I swear it takes them 30 seconds to de-armour once they get to 1st base... we just adjusted our cup...

MaroonBelle
06-06-2021, 11:07 PM
Butch used to have Nick Ammorati (sp?) "Ammo" now coaching at southern miss call the games I believe.

Todd4State
06-06-2021, 11:18 PM
Guess we know now why foxhall didn't use a device to signal pitches to the catcher's ear piece during the year. They aren't allowed in the NCAA tournament apparently. Every team that I've seen that used them during the year isn't using them now. So now they have to go to a signal system that they haven't used all year. While it shouldn't be an issue it does make sense why most teams didn't use them.

That doesn't make sense to me either as far as coaches using it during the season.

I've seen some old school baseball guys complain about catchers not calling games in college but I know for a fact that was the case in the 1970's at least for MSU under Gregory. I agree with you later in the thread that some/most catchers aren't able to call pitches. A freshman calling pitches could be an issue for most teams. Plus with classes and things like that it's a lot more difficult for them to put the time in to scouting and things like that. Every now and then a team will get a guy that may be a little more advanced as far as calling pitches but most college coaches want the control of that aspect of the game. May eliminate pitchers from shaking some signs off too if it's coming from the coach.

Todd4State
06-06-2021, 11:19 PM

Same kind of deal. Lot more complexity in football now plus the coaches have analytical data that would be difficult for a NFL QB to memorize along with everything else.

Coach34
06-06-2021, 11:35 PM
Well you don’t pay attention to our head coach. When Foxhall was ejected earlier this year Lemonis said that Logan called all of the pitches the game Foxhall had to sit out.

Well thats an abnormal situation. But it also shows the lack of depth of our coaching staff