PDA

View Full Version : Comments by VCU coach on Mac not giving him any credit

R2Dawg
06-06-2021, 07:50 AM
were a little well little league even if it was partly true. Mac took the game back last night pure and simple after throwing 9 balls. If anything, we let them back in it by leaving him in too long in the 6th.

Q: What happened to Mississippi State's starter Christian MacLeod during the third inning that allowed him to get on track?
SS: "I don't think he got back on track. We let them. We didn't try to execute offensively the entire night, starting with the first inning ? Of those three punch outs or three strikeouts in a row [during the third inning], we probably chased eight balls. That how we started through the first-third of the game."

"We chose to not hit early in the game, and that fed into him. He didn't have a ton of command early. He saw that we were not disciple. He was able to pitch up in the zone, and we kept chasing it. So, it was really more of us letting him off the hook. We had the middle part of our lineup right there. If we'd get two sac flies [during the third inning with runners on second and third with no outs], that game would have been different. That's what I was hoping for ? two sac flies there and maybe that would settle us down. We just couldn't do it."

chef dixon
06-06-2021, 07:52 AM
But 22 straight against canisius

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2021, 07:56 AM
So coach, how do those Cheerios taste with Mac's piss in the bowl?

Cowbell
06-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Him finding the zone again was all a battle with himself mentally - didn't matter what they did.

msstate7
06-06-2021, 08:00 AM
If the roles were reversed, would we be saying what a great job their pitcher did in that situation or what a terrible job our hitters did?

maroonmania
06-06-2021, 08:48 AM
were a little well little league even if it was partly true. Mac took the game back last night pure and simple after throwing 9 balls. If anything, we let them back in it by leaving him in too long in the 6th.

Q: What happened to Mississippi State's starter Christian MacLeod during the third inning that allowed him to get on track?
SS: "I don't think he got back on track. We let them. We didn't try to execute offensively the entire night, starting with the first inning ? Of those three punch outs or three strikeouts in a row [during the third inning], we probably chased eight balls. That how we started through the first-third of the game."

"We chose to not hit early in the game, and that fed into him. He didn't have a ton of command early. He saw that we were not disciple. He was able to pitch up in the zone, and we kept chasing it. So, it was really more of us letting him off the hook. We had the middle part of our lineup right there. If we'd get two sac flies [during the third inning with runners on second and third with no outs], that game would have been different. That's what I was hoping for ? two sac flies there and maybe that would settle us down. We just couldn't do it."

He was channeling his inner Dennis Green. Translation of that is "He was he we thought he was, and we let him off the hook!". Whatever helps you feel better man.

sleepy dawg
06-06-2021, 09:08 AM
I would be saying how terrible our hitters did. I agree with the guy to a certain extent. I don't know if they could've overcome him or not, by his command was iffy. They helped us a lot by swinging at a lot of balls and trying to hit home runs. A good and disciplined team would've probably had mac out of that game by the 3rd inning.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-06-2021, 09:17 AM
If the roles were reversed, would we be saying what a great job their pitcher did in that situation or what a terrible job our hitters did?

Exactly, as a coach you've gotta tell your team they can overcome; NOT say "that guy was so good we can never hope to hit him", because that tells your team they have a talent ceiling

Moreover, I think his statements were right: VCU DID chase a lot of high pitches (which is what Mac gets every team to do) when they should have been forcing Mac to throw strikes. They weren't selective early in counts and it caused them to get behind. 3 straight Ks with RISP is a thing 100% of fabases would is a failure on their part to get a hit.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2021, 09:26 AM
We won by 50 what he says does not matter much

Rex54
06-06-2021, 09:33 AM
I don't see the big deal here.....

Cowbell
06-06-2021, 09:37 AM
We won by 50 what he says does not matter much
But Cumbest needs to quit and go play football***... I kid I kid

TNDawg35
06-06-2021, 09:38 AM
His comments would mean something had we only scored 5 or 6. We scored 16. It don’t matter if they got 2 sac flys or 12. Would not have mattered.

Good luck seeing Harding or Fristoe tonight. Once again, they better have an ace in their ass, cause they gonna need a magic trick to win 2 against us if they make it past the Camels.

They have been propped up by a horrible schedule. Even their all world 3rd baseman looked like shit against Mac. Welcome to big boy baseball...

msudawg1200
06-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Who cares? We won 16-4. Suck it.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2021, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure what the rub is here. He's 100% right about everything he said.

basedog
06-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Let me add that the VCU crowd was over confident and a little arrogant going into the gates before the game. It was extremely long lines waiting to get inside the Dude, folks were wrapped around the Hump. Nothing wrong for cheering and feeling good about your team but that 22 straight winning streak made those fans not understand ....Sec Sec Sec..... is way more competitive!

I hope the Campbell Toes put a "humping on them today"!

Damn I'm tired got home at 2;10 am.

whosyourdawgy
06-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Didnt he strike out everytime he came to the plate?

TNDawg35
06-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Didnt he strike out everytime he came to the plate?

Last I remember, he was 1-4 with 3k. He may have gotten another at bat after I went to bed. He didn’t touch a ball against Mac tho. I’m talking fastballs right down the gut.

WSOPdawg
06-06-2021, 11:27 AM
With regards to MacLeod, the VCU coach was not wrong. I thought his hitters chased a lot of high strikes that would have been balls.

SEC/B12/ACC hitters will lay off of these pitches and next thing you know, he's walked 2 batters and game is not going our way. Luckily, last night's game went in our favor.

preachermatt83
06-06-2021, 11:58 AM
I would be saying how terrible our hitters did. I agree with the guy to a certain extent. I don't know if they could've overcome him or not, by his command was iffy. They helped us a lot by swinging at a lot of balls and trying to hit home runs. A good and disciplined team would've probably had mac out of that game by the 3rd inning.

Yea but that’s the thing. That’s what they do. That’s how they have played all year.

Dawgology
06-06-2021, 11:58 AM
He?s right that two sac flies would have changed the game. They would have lost 16-6...

R2Dawg
06-06-2021, 01:48 PM
I knew there would be a split response to the comments. Fine to say we didn't do what we needed to do but the coach not giving Mac credit for their play is just dishonest and a little insulting. I don't care just found it interesting for those bragging on their coach before the game. I saw a sore loser instead of a gracious competitor. His pride was hurt after winning 22 straight I get it but dude you are playing a national seed on the road in the best baseball venue in America. What did you really expect? There was another backhanded compliment sorta too.

Low class move if you ask me. Mac didn't play his best game but he was solid. He had them guessing most of the night except that one spell. To self recover from that spell was something not many pitchers in the nation can do. Yes it was special I don't care what some may think. Only top pitchers do that.

maroonmania
06-06-2021, 02:21 PM
I knew there would be a split response to the comments. Fine to say we didn't do what we needed to do but the coach not giving Mac credit for their play is just dishonest and a little insulting. I don't care just found it interesting for those bragging on their coach before the game. I saw a sore loser instead of a gracious competitor. His pride was hurt after winning 22 straight I get it but dude you are playing a national seed on the road in the best baseball venue in America. What did you really expect? There was another backhanded compliment sorta too.

Low class move if you ask me. Mac didn't play his best game but he was solid. He had them guessing most of the night except that one spell. To self recover from that spell was something not many pitchers in the nation can do. Yes it was special I don't care what some may think. Only top pitchers do that.

Yea, you can give some credit to the opposing pitcher and still say your hitters were not as disciplined as they should have been. It doesn't have to be one or the other.