PDA

View Full Version : College Baseball

preachermatt83
06-04-2021, 11:48 PM
Gosh I love it. There?s no sport in the world I love any better. I don?t watch professional sports very often and the older I get the more I focus strictly on Mississippi State sports. And whatever sport state is playing I?m watching. No matter the sport. I watch them all, but I?d rather watch bulldog baseball than any of it. I?ve been that way a long long time.

Rex54
06-05-2021, 06:28 AM
It's definitely the best sport going right now. Just fix the scholly issues and all will be well.

Take 10 football scholarships and just give them to baseball

chef dixon
06-05-2021, 06:48 AM
It's because we are actually good and ultimately suck at everything else

Rex54
06-05-2021, 07:40 AM
It's because we are actually good and ultimately suck at everything else

No, even if we were terrible the balance in the sport is near perfect from a batting average, power, K/BB, defense, and speed perspective

shoeless joe
06-05-2021, 10:57 AM
This weekend is a much bigger deal to me than March madness. Constant games, upsets, drama, and all in all a good product.

Today’s morning games are really intriguing with elimination on the line.

Cooterpoot
06-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Give me softball over it. Baseball is just slower. Baseball as a whole has become pretty boring for the most part. Analytics & constant rule changing is killing it. Still good to watch the post season though.

Rex54
06-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Give me softball over it.

Don't worry, you can have it.

shoeless joe
06-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Give me softball over it. Baseball is just slower. Baseball as a whole has become pretty boring for the most part. Analytics & constant rule changing is killing it. Still good to watch the post season though.

Softball is faster paced and entertaining for sure. But due to the dimensions of the diamond you just don’t see the same type thing that you do in baseball.

I enjoy both but prefer baseball.

Saltydog
06-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Agreed. Especially over a sport where you essentially use the same pitcher every game. There's just not nearly as much strategy in it either.

OLJWales
06-05-2021, 12:34 PM
Gosh I love it. There?s no sport in the world I love any better. I don?t watch professional sports very often and the older I get the more I focus strictly on Mississippi State sports. And whatever sport state is playing I?m watching. No matter the sport. I watch them all, but I?d rather watch bulldog baseball than any of it. I?ve been that way a long long time.

At age 58, I can't believe how little interest I have watching professional sports. Used to love it a long time ago.

OLJWales
06-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Softball is faster paced and entertaining for sure. But due to the dimensions of the diamond you just don’t see the same type thing that you do in baseball.

I enjoy both but prefer baseball.

I like watching the girls for a click or two from time to time even though they challenge my masculinity when i imagine how stupid id look trying to bat agin 'em. They are bad assed athletes.

DownwardDawg
06-05-2021, 01:22 PM

I agree 100%. Best thing going.

DownwardDawg
06-05-2021, 01:24 PM
At age 58, I can't believe how little interest I have watching professional sports. Used to love it a long time ago.

Same here at 53. I can’t force myself to watch professional sports. I’ve completely lost interest.

Saltydog
06-05-2021, 01:35 PM
Throw me in this category as well. I've completely lost interest in the NBA or NFL and only watch MLB sparingly and then pick it up again in the playoffs.

99jc
06-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Throw me in this category as well. I've completely lost interest in the NBA or NFL and only watch MLB sparingly and then pick it up again in the playoffs.

quit watch mlb after strike in the 90's-----will never watch an NBA game again EVER!..i still watch NFL.

OLJWales
06-05-2021, 02:25 PM
quit watch mlb after strike in the 90's-----will never watch an NBA game again EVER!..i still watch NFL.

I'll never really know why the MLB strike did the same thing to me. It just did. Grew up a Mets fan from my years in Jackson.. Was at game 7 in 86. Couldn't name a single player or who coaches them now. Still hold my nose and watch some NBA every now and then because those guys are so freakishly good.

Rex54
06-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Same. Professional (and college) sports are in a rapid decline in terms of social importance.. and that's a positive

Maroonthirteen
06-05-2021, 02:40 PM
I have a feeling. College baseball will close the gap on college football in Mississippi.

It is really getting to be in an event to attend in Starkville and Oxford.

CaptainObvious
06-05-2021, 03:10 PM
Yep. Call me when they move the bases to at least 75 feet, pitching mound back to 52 feet, the fence back to 300 feet and have the pitchers throw overhand and I?ll get on the softball train.

BulldogBear
06-05-2021, 04:50 PM
Same here at 53. I can’t force myself to watch professional sports. I’ve completely lost interest.

Same boat for me. I eat college sports but am barely aware professional sports exist except for a fairly recent interest in F1. And likewise I've never cared to follow MLB after the 94 strike. College football may be my favorite sport but the NCAA basketball tournament in my favorite sporting event. Yet...I've never watched a single NBA game from beginning to end.

The politicization of even college sports is starting to grind on ny nerves though. I wish they'd leave politics out of it. Faith is something people can find a lot of common ground but I would argue sports even more so.

Doggie_Style
06-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Pound for pound I prefer baseball ***

Cooterpoot
06-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Pound for pound I prefer baseball ***

Nice

Cooterpoot
06-05-2021, 05:03 PM
I also prefer college football over baseball just from an entertainment standpoint. But baseball is our sport (I hope) so we can win. Football we can't say that.

ShotgunDawg
06-06-2021, 01:00 AM
I have a feeling. College baseball will close the gap on college football in Mississippi.

It is really getting to be in an event to attend in Starkville and Oxford.

Agree but football is great. It's problem is that it's got a completely non-competitor scholarship structure.

Lord McBuckethead
06-06-2021, 02:25 PM
Softball is a joke. The base dimensions are 10 feet to maybe 15 feet too close. The outfield fence should be 15 feet further back as well. Too many smoked ground balls to second get beat out for me to take it seriously as a sport.

Rex54
06-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Softball is a joke.

It really is.

R2Dawg
06-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Softball is a joke. The base dimensions are 10 feet to maybe 15 feet too close. The outfield fence should be 15 feet further back as well. Too many smoked ground balls to second get beat out for me to take it seriously as a sport.

I agree the size and amount of HR is a joke but lets be fair; if it wasn't for that no one would ever pay any attention. They have to have the HR to get anyone interested. It is what it is.

Really Clark?
06-06-2021, 04:15 PM

Could you post video of all of those smoked balls to second getting beat out? I’ve watch hundreds of games in person and of course college, SEC and NCAA tournament play in person and TV, I don’t recall seeing that without an error. Slow grounders sure but not a ball that’s smoked.

I will say I saw close to that in 12U travel, girl on my daughters team had amazing speed and she would beat out a lot of balls even some to second. Couldn’t say they were smoked but she did beat out a one hopper that the 2nd baseman thought had time and she beat it easy. That girl is a freshman running sprints for State now and from Mississippi. Crazy crazy speed.