PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Bednar it is

KOdawg1
06-03-2021, 11:56 AM

KOdawg1
06-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Can't say I agree with it.

But I understand it. Pitch your top 2 guys in game 1 and 2, and then let the chips fall. If we get to the finals of this thing and our #3/4 starters can't beat VCU/Campbell/Samford's #3/4/5 pitchers, then we don't deserve to win anyway.

MaroonFlounder
06-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Pitching won't be the reason this team gets upset (if they do)

The bottom 2/3rds of the lineup has been unproductive since the Sunday USC game. After Rowdey and TA, it's been rather sad.

Maybe that means Geatreau will be staying put, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

StarkVegasSteve
06-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Pitching won't be the reason this team gets upset (if they do)

The bottom 2/3rds of the lineup has been unproductive since the Sunday USC game. After Rowdey and TA, it's been rather sad.

Maybe that means Geatreau will be staying put, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

THIS. If 3-9 in our order can't get hits then it doesn't matter who we throw. Kam, Hancock, and LoTan need to step it up several notches.

shoeless joe
06-03-2021, 12:36 PM
It’s simple. Too many over thinkers. Our regional is fairly even as far as the 4 isn’t terrible and the 2 isn’t outstanding. So you look at matchups and bednars slider is the pitch that makes this decision. The key is to win the first two. Then have a much fresher staff for Sunday/Monday than whoever you play.

Rex54
06-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Good deal, let's go get a W

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 12:39 PM
THIS. If 3-9 in our order can't get hits then it doesn't matter who we throw. Kam, Hancock, and LoTan need to step it up several notches.

Would be a great time for Kam to wake tf up. We really need him to. I know Logan has been down recently too, but he at least comes through with a clutch hit here and there, so not too worried about him snapping out of it.

StarkVegasSteve
06-03-2021, 12:48 PM
I think in a perfect world you would've gotten a good/decent start out of Brandon Smith in the SECT and you'd feel better about throwing him out there in Game 1. Unfortunately Samford would have had BP on him the way he was throwing last Wednesday.

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Hopefully Will can give us 7 or 8.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Would be a great time for Kam to wake tf up. We really need him to. I know Logan has been down recently too, but he at least comes through with a clutch hit here and there, so not too worried about him snapping out of it.

A real Machiavellian Chinese Politburo / Old East Germany move is to switch Kam’s playing number with Hatcher. These out of conference guys won’t know our guys so well. With OMs scouting reports, They’ll shift their entire infield to 2nd base and throw it straight and hard, just like Kam likes it. “10” would be the regional MVP, national player of the week, and get drafted. Anything sneaky like this has to be verboten

On a serious note, I do think these small schools are going to attack our shift, if we continue. Just like Mizzou they will play to any advantage to beat a highly ranked SEC team.

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2021, 01:09 PM
I would have started Smith Fristoe or Harding but I really dont think theres a wrong way to go. Got to win 3 any way you do it

CadaverDawg
06-03-2021, 01:18 PM
I think our arms will be fine this weekend, and fortunately these guys aren't familiar with our hitters, so I'm expecting a jump in offensive production due to competition level alone. In a perfect scenario, we rake against these teams and regain confidence just in time for the stretch run of Supers and Omaha. It's the only hope we've got

confucius say
06-03-2021, 01:57 PM
I like it

Dawg2003
06-03-2021, 02:08 PM
I agree with it. I don't trust Harding, Fristoe, Smith, ect. to beat Samford. It sucks, but it is what it is. We just don't have a 3rd starter that can be trusted. Especially with our sketchy defense and hitting.

Gutter Cobreh
06-03-2021, 02:11 PM
I like it

I'm w/ you! I think after our showing in the SECT, it's important to just get a win. Bednar gives us the best shot at that. As others have said - hitting and fielding scare me more than our pitching rotation.

preachermatt83
06-03-2021, 02:26 PM
It’s simple. Too many over thinkers. Our regional is fairly even as far as the 4 isn’t terrible and the 2 isn’t outstanding. So you look at matchups and bednars slider is the pitch that makes this decision. The key is to win the first two. Then have a much fresher staff for Sunday/Monday than whoever you play.

Exactly!!

StarkVegasSteve
06-03-2021, 02:41 PM
I agree with it. I don't trust Harding, Fristoe, Smith, ect. to beat Samford. It sucks, but it is what it is. We just don't have a 3rd starter that can be trusted. Especially with our sketchy defense and hitting.

I would imagine we'll just keep rolling with Fristoe as the 3rd starter. He's at least consistently shown us he can get through the lineup 1-2 times. The others have imploded in the first or second when they were given chances to start.

mparkerfd20
06-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Lemonis demonstrates his piss poor coaching decisions on a weekly basis. Can't say I'm surprised.

VandelayIndustries
06-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Don’t really have a problem with it, see if it pays off

Captain Falcon
06-03-2021, 02:53 PM
I do not have an issue with this move. Would have preferred to save Bednar but with that lineup you pretty much need to throw a righty and we do not have another trustworthy right handed starter at the moment.

I agree that this was probably going to be a Brandon Smith start if he had not been terrible in Hoover.

Rex54
06-03-2021, 02:59 PM
I have a question.... when are we "obligated" to announce a SP? Why wouldn't we just wait until game time to pencil in Bednar on the lineup so as to spread their scouting a little thinner preparing for someone else potentially?

Or hell, announce we're throwing Mac and then game time whoops it's Bednar. Now they can practice hitting RHP sliders off a machine where we could have had them doing the opposite.

MaroonFlounder
06-03-2021, 03:04 PM
I agree that this was probably going to be a Brandon Smith start if he had not been terrible in Hoover.

He wouldn't have been terrible in Hoover if the HP ump gives him the low knee high strike. Just like 2 yrs ago when the Ump in Omaha basically forced Cole Gordon to throw BP vs Louisville.

That is what keeps us from a Natty. We always end up getting squeezed by an Ump somewhere along the way.

confucius say
06-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Lemonis demonstrates his piss poor coaching decisions on a weekly basis. Can't say I'm surprised.

?

KOdawg1
06-03-2021, 04:02 PM
I have a question.... when are we "obligated" to announce a SP? Why wouldn't we just wait until game time to pencil in Bednar on the lineup so as to spread their scouting a little thinner preparing for someone else potentially?

Or hell, announce we're throwing Mac and then game time whoops it's Bednar. Now they can practice hitting RHP sliders off a machine where we could have had them doing the opposite.

It's a baseball thing. It's considered sportsmanship.

I think it's dumb too.

msstate7
06-03-2021, 04:30 PM
I like it

I'm still on the fence. I'll let you know if I like it Saturday night

Coach34
06-03-2021, 04:51 PM
I have this feeling we are going to be up 8-1 in the 5th tomorrow wishing we had pitched this thing differently

DownwardDawg
06-03-2021, 04:53 PM
I have this feeling we are going to be up 8-1 in the 5th tomorrow wishing we had pitched this thing differently

That’s where I’m at. As long as we win the damn regional though….

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 05:10 PM
I'm still on the fence. I'll let you know if I like it Saturday night

Promise you'll also let us know if you don't like it, please.**

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 05:13 PM
That’s where I’m at. As long as we win the damn regional though….

In that case, Will can do a lot by saving our pen.

And this. Let's just take care of bid'ness and win the damn thing.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2021, 05:40 PM

I hope so, because then we can let Bednar go 8 or throw some guys that we won't use on Sat or Sun anyway. Then we have our entire staff minus Bednar to win the Regional. At this point that's best case scenario, since they've announced they're rolling with him.

Plus, I'd rather be up 8-1 wishing we had saved him, than down 3-2 wishing we had pitched him.

Coach34
06-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Plus, I'd rather be up 8-1 wishing we had saved him, than down 3-2 wishing we had pitched him.

If we only score 2 on Samford- pitching is not our problem

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Samford leads 2-1 in postseason meetings for the record. We are 37-10 against them all time but that stat surprised me

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 05:54 PM

Yep. We need our bats to show up for the post season. Period. Our pitching this season has rarely been the issue.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Samford leads 2-1 in postseason meetings for the record. We are 37-10 against them all time but that stat surprised me

That was the Tallahassee regional in 2012. That was probably Samford's greatest ever team versus an MSU team that had just won the SECT.

Lost 5-0 in game-1 with Stratton starting. One run was enough to beat Stratton on that day.
Lost 3-2 in game-3 with Jonathan Holder blowing a save.

That 2012 team had the following major leaguers: Stratton, Woodruff, Holder, Girodo, Frazier, Renfroe, Lindgren, Graveman, and numerous AAA/AA players - they made up for this in 2013 by nearly getting MSU to the promise land.

HoopsDawg
06-03-2021, 06:50 PM
I think it's a poor decision. But if we can get by Samford without having to use Landon Sims then we can get away with it.

HoopsDawg
06-03-2021, 06:53 PM

Yes! As David Murray pointed out, Samford was 1-8 vs SEC teams this year. In six of the losses they gave up: 21, 19,18, 10, 10 and 10. And we are throwing our ace against them. MacLeod better have his command working in Game 2.

MetEdDawg
06-03-2021, 07:22 PM

The real question is if we are in that spot, can you truly say that pitching Fristoe, Harding, or Brandon Smith would have us in the same 8-1 position?

I sure as hell can't. I guess if I had to pick us being up 8-1 in the 5th with Bednar pitching or think about what the possibilities might be with Fristoe or Harding on the mound, I'll take the 8-1 lead all day long.

preachermatt83
06-03-2021, 07:31 PM

That statement is downright comical

preachermatt83
06-03-2021, 07:32 PM

No. We will be happy it’s not us down 10-8

preachermatt83
06-03-2021, 07:35 PM

It’s baseball ethics.

Coach34
06-03-2021, 07:42 PM
No. We will be happy it’s not us down 10-8

Samford couldnt score 10 on us in 18 innings of baseball

Rex54
06-03-2021, 07:44 PM
That was the Tallahassee regional in 2012. That was probably Samford's greatest ever team versus an MSU team that had just won the SECT.

Lost 5-0 in game-1 with Stratton starting. One run was enough to beat Stratton on that day.

That 2012 team had the following major leaguers: Stratton, Woodruff, Holder, Girodo, Frazier, Renfroe, Lindgren, Graveman, and numerous AAA/AA players - they made up for this in 2013 by nearly getting MSU to the promise land.

If I remember correctly, that 3-2 loss was Cohen's worst managed game in his career. We bunted with slow ass Wes Rea on the bases twice in the first four innings and he was thrown out at home on a squeeze and third base on a sac.

https://msstate_ftp.sidearmsports.com/stats/bb/2012/ms0603.htm

Captain Falcon
06-03-2021, 07:53 PM

The 2012 team was one or two hitters away from being a legit title contender. Frazier hit .370 and then we literally didn?t have anyone else within .100 points of him. The pitching depth on that team was even better than it was in 2013.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2021, 08:11 PM

Exactly. Pitching hasn't been our problem all year. But I could easily see us allowing a Samford RAT to shut down our bats.

Coach34
06-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Exactly. Pitching hasn't been our problem all year. But I could easily see us allowing a Samford RAT to shut down our bats.

Still comes down to if that happens- we arent going to do anything anyway. The fact that we are worried we might not score much in Game 1 against a staff with SP's that are 5-plus- shows this team isnt capable of winning anything big. UPig, Mississippi, Flo-rida, Tennessee....would all be licking their chops facing that pitching staff

Captain Falcon
06-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Still comes down to if that happens- we arent going to do anything anyway. The fact that we are worried we might not score much in Game 1 against a staff with SP's that are 5-plus- shows this team isnt capable of winning anything big. UPig, Mississippi, Flo-rida, Tennessee....would all be licking their chops facing that pitching staff

I don't think anyone is really that scared of Samford's pitching, but you do have fluky low scoring games in Regionals on occasion. 2014 in Lafayette comes to mind, that ULL team slugged their way back through the loser's bracket to take the Regional, but only after they dropped a 1-0 game to Jackson State.

Odds are we score our fair share of runs tomorrow and are fine. I do have some concerns about facing lefty starters in general, we did not see very many at all this year, and the few we did see seemed to give us trouble. Samford does not have SEC caliber pitching, granted, but our bats have been bipolar all year so you can't totally rule it out.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2021, 08:51 PM

I think it's the opposite. I think we're so confident we can beat any of these teams, that we're comfortable playing matchups since they're a RH dominate lineup. At least that's what I'm hoping. It also sets us up for the Super to have our true Ace starting Game 1. I'm not saying I would have gone with Bednar, but I do see some advantages to it. And if you have such a confidence in our Ace facing VCU's #2, you should probably have no worries with MacLeod beating their #2...right? Surely our 2 is better than VCU's, right? If not, we still fell into the losers bracket with our top two arms starting.

confucius say
06-03-2021, 09:15 PM

Well yea, but our offense is not as good as any of those. Nowhere close

Percho
06-04-2021, 12:30 AM
Swing at balls in the strike zone and we will be alright.