PDA

View Full Version : Croom

SteelCurtain74
06-02-2021, 07:44 PM
is on the ballot for the 2022 SEC Hall of Fame as a player for Alabama. Any chance he would be inducted as a coach due to him being the first African American head coach in the conference?

Rex54
06-02-2021, 11:14 PM
That would exemplify the "soft bigotry of low expectations" notion.

BeardoMSU
06-02-2021, 11:32 PM
I'm sure he'll find a way to throw us under the bus.

The Federalist Engineer
06-02-2021, 11:56 PM
He was an All American at Alabama and won a National Title. That has to be his best life memory

That dire Liberty Bowl with MSU probably does not stack up at the same level. Plus, MSU pulled the plug just as his West Coast Offense was finally about to work ***

Todd4State
06-03-2021, 01:04 AM
I hope he does. It's a good look for MSU.

parabrave
06-03-2021, 01:13 AM
Well he did beat Saban/

Todd4State
06-03-2021, 01:23 AM
Well he did beat Saban/

And Orgeron. Two guys that won National Titles. And Tuberville had a team that went undefeated and he beat him that same year too.

2007 was actually a pretty darn good year for us. I can't think of many years where we beat Bama, Ole Miss, and won a bowl game in the same year. And I think Auburn and Kentucky were pretty solid teams that year too.

parabrave
06-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Not only did he beat Saban he made Saban throw his hat in Disgust. When AJ intercepted that pass, stupid play call, the stadium shook. Our earthquake game

MedDawg
06-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Not only did he beat Saban he made Saban throw his hat in Disgust. When AJ intercepted that pass, stupid play call, the stadium shook. Our earthquake game

Loudest I've ever heard the stadium, and that was pre-endzone expansion. Second loudest was when Bo Wallace fumbled into the endzone in OT. Third had to be Auburn 2014, at least the loudest for an extended amount of time in DWS.

PGHBulldogBG
06-03-2021, 09:54 AM
Croom was definitely not a long term solution, but you can?t deny the 2007 season was fun after 6 years of terrible football. He at least got our program to a point where Mullen had some pieces to work with. He actually had some great defenses and if those defenses had offenses even in the Mullen range they would?ve looked even better. Croom was so stubborn offensively and that?s the main thing that cost him his job

parabrave
06-03-2021, 10:46 AM
Loudest I've ever heard the stadium, and that was pre-endzone expansion. Second loudest was when Bo Wallace fumbled into the endzone in OT. Third had to be Auburn 2014, at least the loudest for an extended amount of time in DWS.

I was in SEC G surrounded by the Bama fans. Everyone of them were saying "we are paying 4 mil for this crap". And my ears are still ringing. The Bama busses were rung off campus.

R2Dawg
06-03-2021, 11:43 AM
And Orgeron. Two guys that won National Titles. And Tuberville had a team that went undefeated and he beat him that same year too.

2007 was actually a pretty darn good year for us. I can't think of many years where we beat Bama, Ole Miss, and won a bowl game in the same year. And I think Auburn and Kentucky were pretty solid teams that year too.

Yes it was but we had a lot of gifts that year. Bama was bad, Auburn wasn't very good, OM they imploded gave us the game. Our D and special teams almost outscored our O that year. Normal years that 07 team might win 3 games.

R2Dawg
06-03-2021, 11:47 AM

I was at that game too. It was loud for that 100yards for sure. The AJ pick six got to a lot of Bama fans that I was around. It took several years for that one to wear off.

BeardoMSU
06-03-2021, 12:49 PM
Yes it was but we had a lot of gifts that year. Bama was bad, Auburn wasn't very good, OM they imploded gave us the game. Our D and special teams almost outscored our O that year. Normal years that 07 team might win 3 games.

This^

We look fondly on that team primarily because we were sooooo bad before and after. In actuality, outside of D and SP (as you note), we were still pretty bad that year, too. It was a total mirage....and vision was restored in Ruston, LA the next fall, for those believing he had turned the corner, lol.

I honestly don't understand any level of nostalgia or appreciation for Croom. Also, the whole "he cleaned up the program" thing is the mother of all mythologies, too. He was a dumpster fire. I don't blame him for taking the job, because we did offer it, after all...but holy hell was that the most Larry Templeton thing ever. What an utter embarrassment.

OLJWales
06-03-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanks for reminding me of that play. It was so fat. That 3rd and long draw on the plains and norwoods run against UF as well.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-03-2021, 07:05 PM
He held Auburn to 3 points in a game.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-03-2021, 07:06 PM
Any chance he would be inducted as a coach due to him being the first African American head coach in the conference?

People shouldn’t be judged based on skin color.

OLJWales
06-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Sure would like to get some street cred outta this. God Knows we earned it.

chef dixon
06-04-2021, 07:56 AM
People shouldn’t be judged based on skin color.

The irony. That's exactly why his hiring was significant

Fader21
06-04-2021, 10:18 PM

I had just gone to the bathroom before the play happened l, while reliving myself I thought the stadium was gonna fall on me.

parabrave
06-04-2021, 11:49 PM
I had just gone to the bathroom before the play happened l, while reliving myself I thought the stadium was gonna fall on me.

Hope you cleaned your shoes! If Saban had kicked the FG Bama would've won. If O had punted OM would've won.

BulldogBear
06-05-2021, 04:58 PM
He held Auburn to 3 points in a game.
Somehow that doesn't feel like it ought to. I have a bad feeling about that. It would really have sucked if we has only managed 2 points***

This^

We look fondly on that team primarily because we were sooooo bad before and after. In actuality, outside of D and SP (as you note), we were still pretty bad that year, too. It was a total mirage....and vision was restored in Ruston, LA the next fall, for those believing he had turned the corner, lol.

I honestly don't understand any level of nostalgia or appreciation for Croom. Also, the whole "he cleaned up the program" thing is the mother of all mythologies, too. He was a dumpster fire. I don't blame him for taking the job, because we did offer it, after all...but holy hell was that the most Larry Templeton thing ever. What an utter embarrassment.

And this^

We were two pick 6s from being 5-7. It was a fun season. We really needed it. But it still took a 4th qtr read option to get a 9-10 yard gain to break the stalemate against UCF.