PDA

View Full Version : Do we dare start Harding against Samford?

msudawg1200
05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
He pitched against them in March and did fairly well. Could we get away with it?

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 11:47 AM
No

Coach34
05-31-2021, 11:52 AM
Not a chance. Mac will be throwing that 1st pitch

TNDawg35
05-31-2021, 11:54 AM
I would in a heart beat. No way Mac sees that game. I don’t understand everyone saying he has to pitch that game.

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 12:10 PM
I would in a heart beat. No way Mac sees that game. I don’t understand everyone saying he has to pitch that game.

Whatever.

Hambone
05-31-2021, 12:11 PM
We didn’t get the super low 4 seed everyone was expecting (Southern). You can’t risk it anymore with a decent team coming in.

LC Dawg
05-31-2021, 12:27 PM
MacLeod will pitch the first game and it's absolutely the right call.

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2021, 12:54 PM
He pitched against them in March and did fairly well. Could we get away with it?

No - for this reason.

From a Value at Risk perspective game-1 is extremely critical to the opposition. They will all sell out for game-1. All three opponents. Therefore, Even a regional grinder that goes until Monday we clearly still have the advantage with the back end staff.

So, winning game-1 and being neat about it is 50% of winning this regional.

KOdawg1
05-31-2021, 01:00 PM
Throw Mac. Like I've said, it's not like he's been elite anyway. As long as you throw Bednar in game 2, we'll be alright.

Rex54
05-31-2021, 01:04 PM
If it was Southern I would say make it a back of the bullpen game. Mac should start against Samford.

Activated Alpha
05-31-2021, 01:18 PM
Question here is, which Mac will we get? He needs to be sharp every game from here on out. No more nibbling here and there and giving up walks or meat pitches

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2021, 01:34 PM
Question here is, which Mac will we get? He needs to be sharp every game from here on out. No more nibbling here and there and giving up walks or meat pitches

Lately, thats the question with everybody except Sims. We need six horses from here to the NC. MSU Needs about 3 or 4 guys to become lights out.

smootness
05-31-2021, 01:36 PM
I think you 100% start Harding, not because you're taking Samford lightly but because you're not taking the rest of the regional lightly. Teams that are expecting to win the regional typically don't throw their #1 or 2 in Game 1 for a reason.

Harding is good and certainly good enough to beat Samford. Then you have Bednar and MacLeod ready to shut the door.

LC Dawg
05-31-2021, 01:53 PM
The key is our bats. If we can provide a cushion in game 1, and game 2 for that matter, and not have to use our good bullpen arms we'll be in great shape.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2021, 01:57 PM
To win in a tournament format at some point you have to gamble with your pitching. Do you gamble at the front end or back end of the tournament? It can work either way. A coach just have to have the balls to make his decision and go with it. This is where really knowing your players comes into play.

Cowbell
05-31-2021, 02:12 PM
To win in a tournament format at some point you have to gamble with your pitching. Do you gamble at the front end or back end of the tournament? It can work either way. A coach just have to have the balls to make his decision and go with it. This is where really knowing your players comes into play.

This is where I like having a quick hook. Pull a guy in the first or second if he's off so you can use him later in the tournament. It's the one thing we haven't see lemonis ever do

BulldogDX55
05-31-2021, 03:07 PM
No.

We need to do our usual weekend lineup, as it would be for the super.

If we can't handle this slate like that, then we have no business being tricky for Omaha.

Besides, all three teams in our regional score runs. Remember what happened when we went off book just last week?

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2021, 03:13 PM

Mac in 2021 is not like throwing BJ Wallace, dubose, or Maholm in their marquee years, in my opinion or statistically. We really need someone to emerge as the reliable ace.

I think the coaches could throw three different guys and it would be ok. But respecting VCU as the number-2, rather have Bednar start that game. If MSU had a Locked Ace like Ethan Small, Lemonis 100% saves him for VCU.

preachermatt83
05-31-2021, 03:21 PM
Mac in 2021 is not like throwing BJ Wallace, dubose, or Maholm in their marquee years, in my opinion or statistically. We really need someone to emerge as the reliable ace.

I think the coaches could throw three different guys and it would be ok. But respecting VCU as the number-2, rather have Bednar start that game. If MSU had a Locked Ace like Ethan Small, Lemonis 100% saves him for VCU.

I agree with this. If Mac was really our ace I’d say save him, but bednar is our best starter and the and we will have him for game two.

basedog
05-31-2021, 03:26 PM

Good post!!

BuckyIsAB****
05-31-2021, 04:24 PM
Throw Harding. Show some confidence in him but have Smith ready and throwing by 3rd inning

Cooterpoot
05-31-2021, 04:29 PM
If we can't handle Samford without our best two throwing, we aren't winning crap anyway.

HoopsDawg
05-31-2021, 04:33 PM

I really don't think it's a tough decision this year. To me, you clearly go Mac-Bednar. Then you are on the normal rotation for a Super.

If Bednar had been our Game 1 guy all year, I would be pissed about him pitching against Samford. But I have no problem with Mac pitching against them. Hopefully Mac will have his command, go deep, and save our pen.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2021, 05:03 PM
I really don't think it's a tough decision this year. To me, you clearly go Mac-Bednar. Then you are on the normal rotation for a Super.

If Bednar had been our Game 1 guy all year, I would be pissed about him pitching against Samford. But I have no problem with Mac pitching against them. Hopefully Mac will have his command, go deep, and save our pen.

This is where I am. Bednar is our best starter, so this takes the pressure off of Lemonis to make a tough decision. Just pitch Mac game 1, Bednar game 2, and Harding/Johnny Wholestaff game 3. Who knows, maybe we can get by without using Sims in game 1 and 2, and can use him for 3-4 innings to close out the Regional behind Harding. I absolutely think you go with the normal rotation

Cowbell
05-31-2021, 05:04 PM
If we can't handle Samford without our best two throwing, we aren't winning crap anyway.

I agree with this

KOdawg1
05-31-2021, 05:36 PM
This is where I am. Bednar is our best starter, so this takes the pressure off of Lemonis to make a tough decision. Just pitch Mac game 1, Bednar game 2, and Harding/Johnny Wholestaff game 3. Who knows, maybe we can get by with using Sims in game 1 and 2, and can use him for 3-4 innings to close out the Regional behind Harding. I absolutely think you go with the normal rotation

Yeah, I'm hoping we finally take the training wheels off Sims and we can see either more appearances or some extended outings out of him.

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 05:59 PM

Teams that win the first two win 80%+ of all regionals. Not throwing Macleod is Uber stupid. Won't he first two and go from there. We aren't playing a. Swac school.

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 06:00 PM

This is the correct answer.

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 06:03 PM

Another reason this a bad take, to get to Omaha your number 3 has to pitch once if you run the table. And that once would be against another teams 4. Then they would have to beat out 4 with there 5. If our offense and pen can't produce enough for that after a 2-0 start then oh well. But if you lose the first game Bc you were stupid and started your 3, which we haven't had all year anyway then you my friend are the DA.

Coach34
05-31-2021, 06:42 PM
Plus- people seem to forget/not understand that we faced Samford's midweek guys also when we played. We are facing their Ace most likely Friday. With our hitting line-up we cant take anything for granted. This team has enough holes to go 2 and Que this weekend

KOdawg1
05-31-2021, 06:48 PM
Plus- people seem to forget/not understand that we faced Samford's midweek guys also when we played. We are facing their Ace most likely Friday. With our hitting line-up we cant take anything for granted. This team has enough holes to go 2 and Que this weekend

Their ace ain't that good.

5.07 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 69 Ks, 14 BBs, 98 hits in 76 IP. Opponents are hitting .315 on him.

He has started for them for 4 straight years though, so he's experienced.

But regardless, Mac needs to pitch game 1.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2021, 06:51 PM
I personally always liked to throw my best arms early in a tournament and go from there.

basedog
05-31-2021, 06:58 PM
I personally always liked to throw my best arms early in a tournament and go from there.

Yes again, maybe our bats come alive early and Mac has his stuff working. Game two could be interesting. We can?t take any team for granted, ask Missouri.

HoopsDawg
05-31-2021, 07:31 PM

5.07 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 69 Ks, 14 BBs, 98 hits in 76 IP. Opponents are hitting .315 on him.

True, but he doesn't walk batters. That's a good strategy against anyone, but especially our lineup.

confucius say
05-31-2021, 08:15 PM

Don't they have a guy who is like 9-1?

Captain Falcon
05-31-2021, 08:23 PM
To me you only hold your top pitcher for one of two reasons:

1. The 4 seed in your Regional is a clear step down in quality from the 2 and 3 seed.

2. There is a clear distinction between your best starter and your next best starter.

I do not think either applies for us. Samford is only marginally different resume-wise from VCU and Campbell, and MacLeod has been inconsistent enough to where I am not sure he is even our true ace.

MacLeod in Game 1. Bednar in Game 2.

Really Clark?
05-31-2021, 08:31 PM
Don't they have a guy who is like 9-1?

9-0 but he is a relief pitcher, late innings mostly I think. But he is not a starter at all.

DownwardDawg
05-31-2021, 08:36 PM
I would throw Mac. No question about it. Bednar in game 2.

maroonmania
05-31-2021, 08:38 PM
This is where I am. Bednar is our best starter, so this takes the pressure off of Lemonis to make a tough decision. Just pitch Mac game 1, Bednar game 2, and Harding/Johnny Wholestaff game 3. Who knows, maybe we can get by without using Sims in game 1 and 2, and can use him for 3-4 innings to close out the Regional behind Harding. I absolutely think you go with the normal rotation

You nailed it. Biggest reason to pitch MacLeod in Game 1 is that Game 2 is really the pivotal game of the regional and I would rather have Bednar pitch that game than MacLeod. And there is no way we would slip MacLeod to Game 3. Best just to stick with the normal rotation.

Homedawg
05-31-2021, 08:48 PM
We e had plenty of tough decisions of what to do as far as starting game one. This isnt one of them.

DownwardDawg
05-31-2021, 09:25 PM
We e had plenty of tough decisions of what to do as far as starting game one. This isnt one of them.

Agreed