PDA

View Full Version : Regional host sites

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2021, 07:44 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2021-05-30/sixteen-regional-sites-selected-2021-ncaa-baseball-championship

MetEdDawg
05-30-2021, 07:52 PM
Someone gets Old Dominion as a 2 seed that could have hosted with a single digit RPI.

I hope it's not us.

chef dixon
05-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Surprised they let South Carolina host

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2021, 07:55 PM
Someone gets Old Dominion as a 2 seed that could have hosted with a single digit RPI.

I hope it's not us.

ODU could still be a 1 this year. Possibly a 1 at South Carolina maybe?

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 07:55 PM
Surprised they let South Carolina host

Probably bodes well for our National Seed hopes. They were probably helped by Old Dominion winning.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 07:56 PM

It's possible. Especially this year moreso than others with the COVID rules being crazy limiting the hosting sites.

MetEdDawg
05-30-2021, 07:56 PM

I can't imagine they make the host team be a 2. That would set a really bad precedent.

Commercecomet24
05-30-2021, 07:57 PM
Lot of baseball folks saying old dominion as a 1 in South Carolina regional.

KOdawg1
05-30-2021, 08:05 PM
That sucks for Old Dominion if true. I mean, they should've made a bid to host, but that's like us a few years ago in WBB having to travel to Portland, Oregon as the 1 seed to play Oregon as the 2 seed.

At least send them somewhere where they won't be at an obvious disadvantage

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 08:06 PM
First glance: It looks like they are basically going down the RPI line except for La Tech and they only really passed over Oklahoma State. I'm can't remember if OSU put in a bid or not. I would be surprised if they didn't. I also noticed that Oklahoma State's conference record was .500 before their tourney run. So, it looks like the committee is favoring metrics that favor MSU's resume'.

I'll hold onto my prediction of MSU being the #6 National Seed this year.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 08:09 PM
That sucks for Old Dominion if true. I mean, they should've made a bid to host, but that's like us a few years ago in WBB having to travel to Portland, Oregon as the 1 seed to play Oregon as the 2 seed.

It absolutely does suck for them. Most years they would have either hosted or I've seen instances where a team like Coastal Carolina hosted at a local minor league stadium- Myrtle Beach in this case. It's only because the NCAA limited bids this year announced the 20 places that could host because of COVID protocols. There was a possibility that the host sites were going to be announced during the regular season.

BeardoMSU
05-30-2021, 08:13 PM
Lot of baseball folks saying old dominion as a 1 in South Carolina regional.

Ouch.

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2021, 08:15 PM
I can't imagine they make the host team be a 2. That would set a really bad precedent.

It wouldn't even be a precedent. It's happened before.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 08:18 PM
It wouldn't even be a precedent. It's happened before.

Yeah. I think MSU was a number 2 in the Starkville Regional in like 1992 if I remember correctly. In a normal year it doesn't typically happen.

BeardoMSU
05-30-2021, 08:20 PM
Yeah. I think MSU was a number 2 in the Starkville Regional in like 1992 if I remember correctly. In a normal year it doesn't typically happen.

Was Covid18 in '92?**

OLJWales
05-30-2021, 08:33 PM
if ODU or any other non traditional team earns it, they should be rewarded, despite their lack of premier facilities. Let those boys get what they earned and deserve.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 08:52 PM
if ODU or any other non traditional team earns it, they should be rewarded, despite their lack of premier facilities. Let those boys get what they earned and deserve.

It's not that cut and dried because in a regional you inevitably have to play night games. And if a team doesn't have a facility that supports that it could be a major issue for all four teams involved.

MetEdDawg
05-30-2021, 09:01 PM

I would like to know the last time it's happened. It happened to multiple teams in 1992. But that was when there were 6 teams in regionals.

I would have to imagine in the current era of the CWS this hasn't happened. I could be wrong though.

Coach34
05-30-2021, 09:05 PM
ODU didnt put in a bid to host. They will be the 1 at SC most likely

Homedawg
05-30-2021, 09:09 PM
Probably bodes well for our National Seed hopes. They were probably helped by Old Dominion winning.

Odu is going to host there. Not sure how that has any bearing on our National seed one way or the other....

Homedawg
05-30-2021, 09:10 PM

Correct. Back then it was all based on bids. Look at 87, 88. We weren't the ones then either... now it has nothing to do with money.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 09:11 PM
I would like to know the last time it's happened. It happened to multiple teams in 1992. But that was when there were 6 teams in regionals.

I would have to imagine in the current era of the CWS this hasn't happened. I could be wrong though.

It has been awhile. And it wouldn't happen this year otherwise. Typically like I said they'll find a minor league park before they make a team a one seed on the road. I think the last time a team was a one seed on the road it happened to a team on the West Coast like a Cal Santa Barbara type team that probably didn't have a suitable facility.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 09:13 PM
Odu is going to host there. Not sure how that has any bearing on our National seed one way or the other....

I'm just saying that if they are going down the RPI line we're going to be a National Seed. I don't think they will make ODU a National Seed on the road and we all know Fairfield is out. So, that should make us the 6th National Seed.

Homedawg
05-30-2021, 09:37 PM
I'm just saying that if they are going down the RPI line we're going to be a National Seed. I don't think they will make ODU a National Seed on the road and we all know Fairfield is out. So, that should make us the 6th National Seed.

I agree. But I don't think they will go straight rpi line. Never do. But agree we should be National seed but it's hit or Miss. 8/9

sleepy dawg
05-30-2021, 09:50 PM
The site says "The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows:". if old dominion was the 1 seed wouldn't they be the host even if it's played at South Carolina?

Homedawg
05-30-2021, 09:54 PM
The site says "The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows:". if old dominion was the 1 seed wouldn't they be the host even if it's played at South Carolina?

No. The host is South Carolina. That's where the games are played. It doesn't say they are the one seed. And maybe USC is. But the info provided doesn't mean anything other than the host site and their record

MetEdDawg
05-31-2021, 06:04 AM

For anyone's information, Cahill said the last time a 1 traveled was 2010 when 1 seed Florida State played on the road in the UCONN regional. Chairman of the baseball committee stated that it was good for college baseball to let a team be a regional host if they were deserving and it didn't upset the competitive advantage much.

Ari Gold
05-31-2021, 10:25 AM

ODU has no one to blame but ODU

OLJWales
06-01-2021, 09:12 PM
ODU has no one to blame but ODU

What did they do to be blamed?