PDA

View Full Version : The Tebow experiment

Cowbell
05-29-2021, 10:46 AM
I gotta say, this is a genius move on the part of Urban. He has taken nearly 100% of the spotlight off of his rookie QB with the media. I fully believe this is the top reason for the move. Well played.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2021, 11:42 AM
Tebow puts butts in seats and sells jerseys. Especially in Florida. So love him or hate him, it's extremely smart to at least have him on the roster for marketing alone

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Gotta disagree. He brings a media circus that surrounds your team for a backup tight end.

He is also 33 years old and is trying out for a position he has never played before. Personally I think he needs to give it up.

Todd4State
05-29-2021, 12:35 PM
Low risk high reward. Sells jerseys. Probably could play fullback too. Could be used like Taysom Hill sort of as well or on gadget plays. I'm surprised Bellichick didn't use him as a goal line QB like we did with Dak his freshman year.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Low risk high reward. Sells jerseys. Probably could play fullback too. Could be used like Taysom Hill sort of as well or on gadget plays. I'm surprised Bellichick didn't use him as a goal line QB like we did with Dak his freshman year.

I think it's more of a nuisance then people realize. I could see it bothering some of the other guys in the locker room. I agree though, he will sell some jerseys and put some butts in the seats early in the season.

However, I don't feel like he is anywhere near the same level as Taysom Hill. Hill ran close to a 4.4 40. Tebow would not even get near that. After being out of football for so long, I think he's more of a liability than an asset.

DownwardDawg
05-29-2021, 01:50 PM

I’m still disappointed that Jacksonville never brought him on as a QB when he was in the league. I don’t care how bad he looked as a QB, all he did was win in the end. He would have sold a ton of tickets and jerseys back then. He was hated for being a Christian.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2021, 02:05 PM
He was hated for being a Christian.

This is just a lazy take. The vast majority of players in the NFL are, in fact, Christian.

Plus, the "all he does is win" thing only works when said in Skip Bayless auto-tune. He just wasn't a good NFL QB, and that's OK. It's a hard position to play (well)...and his throwing motion and pre-snap reads didn't do him any favors.

Had Tim not been so stubbornly intent on playing QB and actually changed positions back then, he might've gone on to a pretty decent career.

I'm actually interested in seeing what he can do at TE/FB, so this whole thing has been intriguing.

Rex54
05-29-2021, 02:12 PM
This is just a lazy take. The vast majority of players in the NFL are, in fact, Christian.

Ok, Mr. Fedora wearing neo-liberal. Yours is the midwit, 100 IQ, lazy opinion. The vast majority of the players in the NFL are, in fact, unknown. The vast majority are also rather unspoken about their faith.

Familiarity/Popularity + Publicly sharing his faith is absolutely the driver of the hatred. The hatred, not the real and warranted criticism of on-the-field abilities.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Ok, Mr. Fedora wearing neo-liberal. Yours is the midwit, 100 IQ, lazy opinion.

You forgot "Marvel-watching soyboi beta cuck", Puddin.

msstate7
05-29-2021, 02:50 PM
Gotta disagree. He brings a media circus that surrounds your team for a backup tight end.

He is also 33 years old and is trying out for a position he has never played before. Personally I think he needs to give it up.

The Jaguars signed him. Why shouldn't he try if a team is willing to pay him?

Ari Gold
05-29-2021, 03:17 PM
I’m still disappointed that Jacksonville never brought him on as a QB when he was in the league. I don’t care how bad he looked as a QB, all he did was win in the end. He would have sold a ton of tickets and jerseys back then. He was hated for being a Christian.

He was hated by the MEDIA because he was a Christian and he wore his beliefs on his sleeve.. And was the opposite of Kap..
He didn’t fit their narrative

Is it a pub move by the Jags?.Absolutely
Do they have anything to lose by doing ? Absolutely not.. maybe he makes some plays , maybe he doesn’t. They are probably a 6 win team at best anyway .. with or without Tebow on the roster

It’s already paying off for Jags .. Merch is being sold, season ticket sales are probably the highest in years and the Jags are talked about more right now than the world champs in that state

KOdawg1
05-29-2021, 04:09 PM

This.

I don't care if I'm past my prime or crippled. If a team is going to pay me money, then I'm going to give it a shot. I personally don't get the Tebow hate.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2021, 04:42 PM
He was hated by the MEDIA because he was a Christian and he wore his beliefs on his sleeve.. And was the opposite of Kap..
He didn’t fit their narrative

You realize that Kap is out of the league right? Who's "narrative" are you talking about? He led the 49's to the SB, people got more tape on him, figured him out, and he sucked and flushed out....mainly because he refused to be a back-up and people didn't want to deal with his BS. Not sure I see your Tebow correlation.

Also, this whole "they hate Christians" thing is hilarious.....even the "he wears it on his sleave", stuff. There are SOOOO many players that talk about God, give thanks to God, point to sky when they score, etc.

I seem to remember Ray Lewis talking about God quite a bit, too...a helluva lot, actually. But somehow that didn't hurt his career. He also "maybe" even participated in a murder....that didn't really hurt his career either. I wonder why? Maybe, because he was a really good player, and the NFL will put up with just about anything if you're a really good player and will win your team games. It's not a conspiracy.

Ari Gold
05-29-2021, 04:45 PM
You realize that Kap is out of the league right? Who's "narrative" are you talking about? He led the 49's to the SB, people got more tape on him, figured him out, and he sucked and flushed out....mainly because he refused to be a back-up and people didn't want to deal with his BS. Not sure I see your Tebow correlation.

Also, this whole "they hate Christians" thing is hilarious.....even the "he wears it on his sleave", stuff. There are SOOOO many players that talk about God, give thanks to God, point to sky when they score, etc.

I seem to remember Ray Lewis talking about God quite a bit, too...a helluva lot, actually. But somehow that didn't hurt his career. He also "maybe" even participated in a murder....that didn't really hurt his career either. I wonder why? Maybe, because he was a really good player, and the NFL will put up with just about anything if you're a really good player and will win your team games. It's not a conspiracy.

Ok.
Yes Kap is out of the league.. as he should be
And the next time Tim is questioned about his involvement in a murder let me know
Just saying
And how many of those same players live it day to day ?? Prob not too many . The media was dying for a anything negative on Tebow and it wasn’t there..
and yes Tebow was an average at best QB never said he wasn’t..

BeardoMSU
05-29-2021, 04:47 PM
This.

I don't care if I'm past my prime or crippled. If a team is going to pay me money, then I'm going to give it a shot. I personally don't get the Tebow hate.

Totally agree. If a team wants to pay anyone, they'd be crazy not to take the money. And btw, I don't hate Tebow. I like, actually. In fact, as I somewhat alluded to above, I wish he had changed position so he could've kept playing in the league, or at least improved as a passer if he was dead set on playing QB. For example, Dak was always compared to Tim for various reasons (system, Mullen, etc.), but once he got in the league, he got markedly better as a thrower every. single. year. He worked on his footwork, his mechanics, etc.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Ok

Ok, lol.

OLJWales
05-30-2021, 01:04 AM
Woke folk generally tolerate pointing toward the sky after A TD or thanking God during a post game interview but espousing pro life and anti adultery views gets them triggered. Its ok to trash cops, white people and our country but don't dare attack THEIR narrative.

Todd4State
05-30-2021, 01:20 AM
I think it's more of a nuisance then people realize. I could see it bothering some of the other guys in the locker room. I agree though, he will sell some jerseys and put some butts in the seats early in the season.

However, I don't feel like he is anywhere near the same level as Taysom Hill. Hill ran close to a 4.4 40. Tebow would not even get near that. After being out of football for so long, I think he's more of a liability than an asset.

I'd be pretty surprised if they judge him like that right off the bat. I mean, if he helps the team in whatever way they're going to be fine.

I agree that Hill is a better athlete and QB but I don't have a lot to compare him too. He can throw and run- not as well as Hill or as fast sure, but he's a different type of runner. He's more of a power type back. However they use him he can be productive.

Offshore Dawg
05-30-2021, 07:13 AM
The Tebow situation is media and woke driven. He is by most accounts a good guy that can't give this dream of playing professional football up. But in the opinion of the woke media ( whatever that really is ) doesn't match what they prefer.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2021, 09:41 AM

I wasn't suggesting he should now quit the team. The statement was more of a why is he trying to do this again.

I commend the guy (and anyone) for pursuing his dreams, but he had the chance to change to TE 8 years ago and refused because he insisted on playing QB.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2021, 09:50 AM
I'd be pretty surprised if they judge him like that right off the bat. I mean, if he helps the team in whatever way they're going to be fine.

I agree that Hill is a better athlete and QB but I don't have a lot to compare him too. He can throw and run- not as well as Hill or as fast sure, but he's a different type of runner. He's more of a power type back. However they use him he can be productive.

Power running works in college. It stops working in the NFL, especially when the runner is 33 years old and hasn't played competitive football in several years.

I like Tebow and hope it works out for him. And I think the majority of this board is right about the situation having more upside for the Jags than not. It just seems like another distraction for them to me though.

BrunswickDawg
05-30-2021, 12:41 PM
Someone educate me, because I must of missed the huge woke media attempt to take down Tim Tebow. And I'd love links to articles or examples - cause I've never seen any. What I have seen are sports opinions that Tebow was not an NFL QB (which was proven correct) and the ginned up talk show arguements about it, and the "hot takes" of "Tebow took a knee why can't Kap?" And, as I've lived in the Jacksonville TV market for 22 years, I can attest that the guy has been a media circus since he was 16 years old. His HS play, his recruitment, the "Tebow law", and his time at UF was literal covered nightly by the 4 Jax news stations - getting far more exposure than anyone I've ever seen. That travelled with him to the NFL - at least 2 Jax stations sent their sports crews to Denver to cover his games.

BeardoMSU
05-30-2021, 01:11 PM
Ok.
Yes Kap is out of the league.. as he should be
And the next time Tim is questioned about his involvement in a murder let me know
Just saying
And how many of those same players live it day to day ?? Prob not too many . The media was dying for a anything negative on Tebow and it wasn?t there..
and yes Tebow was an average at best QB never said he wasn?t..

I brought up Lewis' murder beef as an example of just how much the NFL will tolerate if you're good at winning football games. Big Ben is another example of this phenomenon. Obviously Tim is a good guy.

So often, on this board and elsewhere, the reason many want to believe that Tebow didn't make it in the league is because of his "Christian beliefs", with zero mention of the fact he was just a below average NFL QB. It's literally a persecution complex. I mean, this is a league that goes through below average QBs like hot cakes. How many QB's (even high rounders) fizzle out every year? It's a common phenomenon.

As far as "how many players live it day to day"? I have no way of knowing that, and that's OK too. I know there are plenty, though. However, I thought the general consensus on here was that people want to watch sports to tune out of things...not to be pandered to by politics, religion, causes, etc.?

Rex54
05-30-2021, 01:29 PM
So often, on this board and elsewhere, the reason many want to believe that Tebow didn't make it in the league is because of his "Christian beliefs"

You want to believe that. It's not the least bit truthful though.

BeardoMSU
05-30-2021, 01:32 PM
You want to believe that. It's not the least bit truthful though.

Even just the discussion within this thread points to the contrary, Rexxy.

Rex54
05-30-2021, 01:36 PM
Even just the discussion within this thread points to the contrary, Rexxy.

Surely your reading comprehension can't be that bad. Show me anywhere where someone's opinion is that Tebow was talented enough to play in the league, he just didn't get the chance to because his outspoken faith.

You look silly pushing that nonsense.

Rex54
05-30-2021, 01:40 PM
Double post

BrunswickDawg
05-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Surely your reading comprehension can't be that bad. Show me anywhere where someone's opinion is that Tebow was talented enough to play in the league, he just didn't get the chance to because his outspoken faith.

You look silly pushing that nonsense.

I?m still disappointed that Jacksonville never brought him on as a QB when he was in the league. I don?t care how bad he looked as a QB, all he did was win in the end. He would have sold a ton of tickets and jerseys back then. He was hated for being a Christian.

<Pointing Spidermen.gif>

Rex54
05-30-2021, 02:23 PM
<Pointing Spidermen.gif>

That doesn't necessarily imply an opinion that Jacksonville didn't bring him in because he was hated for being a Christian....

Downward wanted Jacksonville to bring him in because he won - TRUE that is Downward's opinion.

He was hated for being a Christian - TRUE he was

Now if Downward says that is the reason Jacksonville didn't bring him in, I would say that's silly. But you're jumping to that conclusion, not Downward. I feel like I'm back in "Intro to Logic" having to explain that.

OLJWales
05-30-2021, 07:45 PM
There is little doubt Tebow was not NFL QB material. Had he been so and won a SB, it would have been a wndfall for the team's ownership.

Kap wore "cops are pigs" socks to practice, and protested with a message that the country was racist and white cops go to work everyday hoping to kill a black guy. These lies got him an award as Time Magazine's Person of the Year. Tons of fans and media screamed bloody murder for him not landing another gig. Lebron spews the same bullshit and hardly anyone in the media questions it, almost all praise him.

If Tebow performs well and gets inverviewed and talks about his beliefs in traditional marriage, pro life, sex outside marriage and any other Biblical Commandments, he will be condemned by the media. Love of God and Country has always played a key role in our strength and success and now it's being trashed and laughed at.

Ari Gold
05-31-2021, 08:24 AM
I brought up Lewis' murder beef as an example of just how much the NFL will tolerate if you're good at winning football games. Big Ben is another example of this phenomenon. Obviously Tim is a good guy.

So often, on this board and elsewhere, the reason many want to believe that Tebow didn't make it in the league is because of his "Christian beliefs", with zero mention of the fact he was just a below average NFL QB. It's literally a persecution complex. I mean, this is a league that goes through below average QBs like hot cakes. How many QB's (even high rounders) fizzle out every year? It's a common phenomenon.

As far as "how many players live it day to day"? I have no way of knowing that, and that's OK too. I know there are plenty, though. However, I thought the general consensus on here was that people want to watch sports to tune out of things...not to be pandered to by politics, religion, causes, etc.?

Again I never said said TT was a pro QB, results speak for themselves . My take was TT didnt fit the media’s narrative at that time
I could give 2 shits Either way if he makes the Jags roster or not.

Ari Gold
05-31-2021, 08:25 AM
There is little doubt Tebow was not NFL QB material. Had he been so and won a SB, it would have been a wndfall for the team's ownership.

Kap wore "cops are pigs" socks to practice, and protested with a message that the country was racist and white cops go to work everyday hoping to kill a black guy. These lies got him an award as Time Magazine's Person of the Year. Tons of fans and media screamed bloody murder for him not landing another gig. Lebron spews the same bullshit and hardly anyone in the media questions it, almost all praise him.

If Tebow performs well and gets inverviewed and talks about his beliefs in traditional marriage, pro life, sex outside marriage and any other Biblical Commandments, he will be condemned by the media. Love of God and Country has always played a key role in our strength and success and now it's being trashed and laughed at.

Boom.

DownwardDawg
05-31-2021, 08:37 AM
That doesn't necessarily imply an opinion that Jacksonville didn't bring him in because he was hated for being a Christian....

Downward wanted Jacksonville to bring him in because he won - TRUE that is Downward's opinion.

He was hated for being a Christian - TRUE he was

Now if Downward says that is the reason Jacksonville didn't bring him in, I would say that's silly. But you're jumping to that conclusion, not Downward. I feel like I'm back in "Intro to Logic" having to explain that.

It’s not worth the time man.