PDA

View Full Version : New WBB Transfer

captaindog
05-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Giving credit where it is due, Coach McCray-Penson is having a great offseason. Former 19th ranked player in her class and badly needed post player.
https://hailstate.com/news/2021/5/27/womens-basketball-mccray-penson-announces-signing-of-raven-farley.aspx

Homedawg
05-27-2021, 03:36 PM
Bad numbers warm body but isn't going to make a big difference

Cooterpoot
05-27-2021, 04:01 PM
She's not very good

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Not very good? She is 6'4, averaged 6.5 ppg 5.4 rpg 1.3 bpg and 1.3 assist. That is solid behind Jessica Carter, you are only looking at her scoring but basketball is more than that. The 1.3 block per game would have had her around 5th in that category in the SEC last year. She is a big body with experience. She is and upgrade over Sidney Cooks and Yemiah Morris with all due respect to them, especially on the defensive end.

Homedawg
05-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Not very good? She is 6'4, averaged 6.5 ppg 5.4 rpg 1.3 bpg and 1.3 assist. That is solid behind Jessica Carter, you are only looking at her scoring but basketball is more than that. The 1.3 block per game would have had her around 5th in that category in the SEC last year. She is a big body with experience. She is and upgrade over Sidney Cooks and Yemiah Morris with all due respect to them, especially on the defensive end.
Yeah that's not very good. In a shitty league and she's a sr. Not like those were fr numbers. So yeah. Not very good. Warm body. But feel free to correct me in season when she's good.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Yeah that's not very good. In a shitty league and she's a sr. Not like those were fr numbers. So yeah. Not very good. Warm body. But feel free to correct me in season when she's good.

Players have roles, her role will be to defend block shots and rebound, all of those transfer to any league. She played at LSU as a freshman too so she is used to this style of play. I'm not hyping her as the next big thing but she is definitely a big who will help this team. Most of you will never give props to this new team regardless of who we get

captaindog
05-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Players have roles, her role will be to defend block shots and rebound, all of those transfer to any league. She played at LSU as a freshman too so she is used to this style of play. I'm not hyping her as the next big thing but she is definitely a big who will help this team. Most of you will never give props to this new team regardless of who we get

Let?s please not go there. In fairness Homedog gave a very well reasoned and factually supported response.

Dawg2003
05-27-2021, 05:25 PM
I don't know how she will turn out, but, to be fair, Morris and Cooks weren't any good either.

Homedawg
05-27-2021, 05:44 PM

I'll give props if we win some games. But I watched that crap show for a year w a team that had plenty of talent to win games. We didn't. I'll agree she can be a sub and garner minutes. That's about it.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 06:33 PM
Let?s please not go there. In fairness Homedog gave a very well reasoned and factually supported response.

Let's not go where? Homedog said "Bad numbers, warm body but isn't going to make a difference " Unless homedog is the Lord above himself I'm not sure any of that is factual. The young lady just committed today and none of us really kno much about her but we can already make a statement like that and it's factual??? Who knows how much she can or can't help but her size and athleticism alone will help on the defensive end and with rebounding.

She had some pretty good games last year against decent competition

12 points 7 rebs against Villanova
12 points 6 rebounds against Providence
5 points 9 rebounds against Villanova
11 points 5 rebounds against #22 DePaul
7 point 5 rebounds against UCONN
8 point 9 rebounds against Seton Hall

And obviously there were some games she barely scored or didn't score at all but it doesn't mean she can't help this team. We need her size and athleticism. Our gaurds Carter and Rickea will do alot of the scoring

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 06:34 PM

She did play as a freshman but how many minutes did she get and how much of those min were reduced as a Sophomore compared to her freshman season? Hopefully she help us and have presence inside.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 06:35 PM
I'll give props if we win some games. But I watched that crap show for a year w a team that had plenty of talent to win games. We didn't. I'll agree she can be a sub and garner minutes. That's about it.

At the end of the day we agree that last season was a bust and NMP is on a very short leash, but this team that SHE put together is pretty dang solid. Gotta give her at least a full year with her players which she has now

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 06:37 PM
She did play as a freshman but how many minutes did she get and how much of those min were reduced as a Sophomore compared to her freshman season? Hopefully she help us and have presence inside.

All we really need from her is defense, rebounding and shot blocking which she does well. We have plenty of scorers. Actually too many scorers can be a bad thing because everyone wants the ball. She will have a defensive/rebounding role

KentuckyDawg13
05-28-2021, 06:53 AM
She is a solid player.

Cooterpoot
05-28-2021, 07:10 AM
She is a solid player.

Well, she hasn't been very good at either stop, so there's that. She's depth and we need that, especially down low. Just don't expect her to put up numbers.
This is also another kid that's on transfer number two that we've taken. We're the third school they've played for.

captaindog
05-28-2021, 08:06 AM
Well, she hasn't been very good at either stop, so there's that. She's depth and we need that, especially down low. Just don't expect her to put up numbers.
This is also another kid that's on transfer number two that we've taken. We're the third school they've played for.

We have at least two more in that situation with A Jones and Anastasia Hayes. However there do seem to be several players at other schools that are on their second or third transfer. Overall I?m not a fan but I guess every situation is different.

Cooterpoot
05-28-2021, 08:10 AM
I'm going to give Nikki a chance to turn it around next year. Do I expect it? No. But she's gotten in a lot of kids and pushed out some trouble. Let's see where it goes.

captaindog
05-28-2021, 08:24 AM
I'm going to give Nikki a chance to turn it around next year. Do I expect it? No. But she's gotten in a lot of kids and pushed out some trouble. Let's see where it goes.

I agree with this. I?ll go further to say I?m actively rooting for her success is our success. I think she has gotten some very talented players but there are some concerns with some of them based on their histories. However a lot of coaches take those chances.
If I had to put money on it I just don?t see it working out based on last season as a whole. It was tough to watch. This offseason has been very promising though.

NCMSTFAN
05-28-2021, 10:13 AM
She is a solid player.
I agree, alot of people don't really understand the game itself. They look at numbers at make an assumption. She will be solid... defend, rebound, block shots and hit the open shots she is given, that's all we need of her because she is surrounded by scorers. Anything more she can give will be a bonus. Also, NMP still wants to add one more big so this class still isn't complete

NCMSTFAN
05-28-2021, 10:19 AM

She is a grad transfer so it's a little different.

NWADAWG
05-28-2021, 10:23 AM
I agree, alot of people don't really understand the game itself. They look at numbers at make an assumption. She will be solid... defend, rebound, block shots and hit the open shots she is given, that's all we need of her because she is surrounded by scorers. Anything more she can give will be a bonus. Also, NMP still wants to add one more big so this class still isn't complete

By the numbers, Ado wasn't much of a contributor either but I was glad he was on our team.

Ezsoil
05-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Bad numbers warm body but isn't going to make a big difference

Ok looking at Dillingham's numbers I bet you would say she is a bad player.....the great teams have role players...I'll trust the word of a person who has been a legend as a player at the college and pro level. Throw in she was FAR more successful as a head coach AND as an assistant than Vic was before either got the MSU job, I'll give her a chance.

Cowbell
05-28-2021, 10:53 AM
She is a grad transfer so it's a little different.
It is a very dangerous situation to take this many transfers and expect any kind of chemistry or successful production. Especially with females. If the coach had trouble last year with a group that was already together, you can't expect reasonable human beings to not have their doubts. It's no different than many of us doubting Leach's offense in the SEC or Howland making the sweet 16. Quit acting like it is just her. You take what information you have and build expectations from that.

NCMSTFAN
05-28-2021, 11:39 AM
It is a very dangerous situation to take this many transfers and expect any kind of chemistry or successful production. Especially with females. If the coach had trouble last year with a group that was already together, you can't expect reasonable human beings to not have their doubts. It's no different than many of us doubting Leach's offense in the SEC or Howland making the sweet 16. Quit acting like it is just her. You take what information you have and build expectations from that.

Look across the country.... MANY of teams are getting transfers in and having to combine them and build a team, it's the norm now because the transfer rules. So what else was she supposed to do? You don't pass up on the talented players she has brought in, you try to bring in the best, then go from there. There is some continuity left with Rickea, Myah and Carter but yes, she will have to mesh this team together.

You brought up Leach and Howland but neither of them was hated before coaching their 1st game at MSU. NMP was because alot of fans were mad she spoke about the flag. Its all in black and white, go back and look through the message boards you will see it. Mike Leach said alot of things some could take in a certain way and is also strong in his political beliefs, he definitely wasn't hated for that. No matter my beliefs vs theirs I support all of our coaches and teams. You can disagree but still get along and support.

NCMSTFAN
05-28-2021, 11:40 AM
Ok looking at Dillingham's numbers I bet you would say she is a bad player.....the great teams have role players...I'll trust the word of a person who has been a legend as a player at the college and pro level. Throw in she was FAR more successful as a head coach AND as an assistant than Vic was before either got the MSU job, I'll give her a chance.

Agree completely

NCMSTFAN
05-28-2021, 11:40 AM
By the numbers, Ado wasn't much of a contributor either but I was glad he was on our team.

Good point