PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State women's basketball signs former McDonald's All-American grad-transfer

jdelta02
05-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Raven Farley-Clark (Raven Farley), 6-4 grad-transfer, 2017 McDonald''s All-American (#19 nationally ESPN) from St John's ....signs with Miss. State.

Coaching staff has picked up 2 McDonald's All-Americans during this offseason (transfer portal). The first was Anastasia Hayes. Also, Rickea Jackson is a former McDonald's All-American.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Didn’t she originally sign with LSU and transferred after her 2nd year their?

captaindog
05-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Didn’t she originally sign with LSU and transferred after her 2nd year their?

Correct

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Really good pick up. We needed more size badly. Say what you want about Nikki Mccray but she can definitely recruit!!

Irondawg
05-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Can we go ahead and get out of the way that referring to her constantly as a MAA is just setting her up to be criticized.

She averaged 6 points and 5 rebounds at St Johns. So nobody be expected some kind of all-sec performer.

She?s going to be a decent body for depth but expect Cooks/Morris production. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 04:45 PM
Can we go ahead and get out of the way that referring to her constantly as a MAA is just setting her up to be criticized.

She averaged 6 points and 5 rebounds at St Johns. So nobody be expected some kind of all-sec performer.

She?s going to be a decent body for depth but expect Cooks/Morris production. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise

We have a ton of scorers, she will be a big body, defender and rebounder for us. It's a nice solid pick up. She is much more mobile than Morris and Cooks.. Her size and mobility will be good for Carter in practice also

jdelta02
05-27-2021, 05:32 PM
- Miss. State's guards, collectively, can fill it up (especially Anastasia Hayes)
- Rickea Jackson can fill it up.
- Jessika Carter can fill it up.

Miss. State doesn't need a lot of scoring out of these new frontcourt players. Mostly experienced posts, rebounding and defense, and give solid minutes. Other attributes, intangibles. Being 6-4 and very mobile is a plus as well. Good scoring is a plus

jdelta02
05-27-2021, 05:35 PM
Reported that Miss. State is looking to add one more post player to the 2021-22 roster.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Reported that Miss. State is looking to add one more post player to the 2021-22 roster.

Thanks for the updates

R2Dawg
05-27-2021, 06:38 PM
We have a ton of scorers, she will be a big body, defender and rebounder for us. It's a nice solid pick up. She is much more mobile than Morris and Cooks.. Her size and mobility will be good for Carter in practice also

Well we had plenty of trouble scoring last year with even more scorers on the team, I hope things return but I will have to see it to believe it.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Well we had plenty of trouble scoring last year with even more scorers on the team, I hope things return but I will have to see it to believe it.

What scorers are you talking about because the only scores we had last year were Rickea Jackson, Jessica Carter and Aaliyah Matharu. Who else was considered a scorer? Mingo wasn't, Myah Taylor wasn't, Wiggins wasn't, Yemiah wasn't, etc... and all of those girls I just named were not scorers with Vic either so who are these scorers you are talking about?

jdelta02
05-27-2021, 07:43 PM
What scorers are you talking about because the only scores we had last year were Rickea Jackson, Jessica Carter and Aaliyah Matharu. Who else was considered a scorer? Mingo wasn't, Myah Taylor wasn't, Wiggins wasn't, Yemiah wasn't, etc... and all of those girls I just named were scorers with Vic either so who are these scorers you are talking about?

Coach McCray-Penson has a way more explosive group of guards for this upcoming season. Also, 4 of the 5 transfers (2 Hayes, Jordan, Jones...experienced starters) were all starters on their old teams, all 4 of them averaging in double figures.. Jerkaila Jordan and all 3 Hayes sisters are very good on defense as well. Ashley Jones and the freshmen have defensive upside.

Cooterpoot
05-27-2021, 08:06 PM
Really good pick up. We needed more size badly. Say what you want about Nikki Mccray but she can definitely recruit!!

She's just an extra body.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 08:09 PM
Coach McCray-Penson has a way more explosive group of guards for this upcoming season. Also, 4 of the 5 transfers (2 Hayes, Jordan, Jones...experienced starters) were all starters on their old teams, all 4 of them averaging in double figures.. Jerkaila Jordan and all 3 Hayes sisters are very good on defense as well. Ashley Jones and the freshmen have defensive upside.

Oh I agree with you Jdelta but I keep hearing about all of these scorers NMP inherited but other than Rickea, Carter and Matharu, who else was a scorer? I would take the Hayes sisters, Jerkaila Jordan and Ashley Jones over our previous gaurds because they have all proven they can score at a high level. And again that's no disrespect to our former girls who transferred but people need to stop acting like we had a team full of scorers because we didnt.

NCMSTFAN
05-27-2021, 08:14 PM
She's just an extra body.
Hahaha ok Cooter... no stats, explanation, facts or anything to go along with that? Just a generic statement. You are just like a mass of the other "fans" who hope and pray for NMP to fail.. its sad

Reunion Dog
05-28-2021, 01:25 AM
Delta... U r an blithering idiot... So full of crap...

Dumbass Cohen giving you everything to type in here? This woke idiot can't coach jack shit...

Fresh as hail RUINED this program... Do you understand that? Please tell me what you don't get from the implosion she created?

I hope to meet you in real life so I can actually laugh in your face because it's idiots like you that accept Mississippi State failure....

Seriously, you must be David Murray in sheep's skin or either Roseville sucking up to Cohen and writing this crap because he says he will keep u in the loop ..

What a freaking homer ....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Delta... U r an blithering idiot... So full of crap...

Dumbass Cohen giving you everything to type in here? This woke idiot can't coach jack shit...

Fresh as hail RUINED this program... Do you understand that? Please tell me what you don't get from the implosion she created?

I hope to meet you in real life so I can actually laugh in your face because it's idiots like you that accept Mississippi State failure....

Seriously, you must be David Murray in sheep's skin or either Roseville sucking up to Cohen and writing this crap because he says he will keep u in the loop ..

What a freaking homer ....

Vic ruined the program? Because he started Fresh As Hail..

Hambone
05-29-2021, 11:01 PM
Better to be quite…… oh well

Offshore Dawg
05-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Time out folks, why not wait and see how this upcoming season plays out, the team will be way different than last year. She has her players now for the most part.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-30-2021, 08:25 AM
Time out folks, why not wait and see how this upcoming season plays out, the team will be way different than last year. She has her players now for the most part.

Yeah I don't follow wbk aside from headlines but it seems like she has been recruiting quite well lately. Maybe she just had to get her own players in.

Really Clark?
05-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Can I ask for examples of coaches who couldn’t win with very talented players because they didn’t fit, at the very least get them to buy in enough to look like they gave a crap in games, coach then turns over the roster with players that fits her style and from that point that program is back to the level they enjoyed prior? Good coaches don’t need a big roster turn over to be successful, it might not be exactly what their peak will be, but they can compete and not look like hot garbage.

NCMSTFAN
05-30-2021, 09:56 AM
Can I ask for examples of coaches who couldn’t win with very talented players because they didn’t fit, at the very least get them to buy in enough to look like they gave a crap in games, coach then turns over the roster with players that fits her style and from that point that program is back to the level they enjoyed prior? Good coaches don’t need a big roster turn over to be successful, it might not be exactly what their peak will be, but they can compete and not look like hot garbage.

Everyone keeps saying this but last year's team wasn't overly talented. Carter, Rickea and Matharu were the most consistent but mostly everyone else had struggles, even under Vic. Instead of the continual bashing, why don't we just wait and see what happens this year with her players, she has no excuses now so let's wait and see. We are more talented than we were last year, the girls on the roster are all proven aside from the Freshman

Really Clark?
05-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Everyone keeps saying this but last year's team wasn't overly talented. Carter, Rickea and Matharu were the most consistent but mostly everyone else had struggles, even under Vic. Instead of the continual bashing, why don't we just wait and see what happens this year with her players, she has no excuses now so let's wait and see. We are more talented than we were last year, the girls on the roster are all proven aside from the Freshman

I don’t remember all the posts you or anyone else were making before the season last year about how vastly overrated we were as a top team and that we didn’t have the talent to make tournament. Can you please point those out? We had at a min. Top 25 talent last year and to state otherwise after the season is disingenuous.

Honestly the point of my posts was really the initial question. History is vastly opposed to the idea that a good coach had to have certain fit players to show that they will be successful. And it just may be a flop here and she has success elsewhere later. But history is against just a roster turnover making a 180 degree difference. It may help but we had the talent to be in the tournament and a Top 25 team.

maroonmania
05-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Can I ask for examples of coaches who couldn?t win with very talented players because they didn?t fit, at the very least get them to buy in enough to look like they gave a crap in games, coach then turns over the roster with players that fits her style and from that point that program is back to the level they enjoyed prior? Good coaches don?t need a big roster turn over to be successful, it might not be exactly what their peak will be, but they can compete and not look like hot garbage.

I guess just playing devil's advocate, Nick Saban's first year at Alabama he only went 6-6 and lost to ULM. And even though that Bama team didn't have the type talent Bama has now, I've never known any Bama football team that didn't have really good talent. Saban ran off quite a number of players that year as well. Of course nobody in the history of college football has ever had the level of talent that Saban gets to coach now.

Really Clark?
05-30-2021, 11:23 AM
I guess just playing devil's advocate, Nick Saban's first year at Alabama he only went 6-6 and lost to ULM. And even though that Bama team didn't have the type talent Bama has now, I've never known any Bama football team that didn't have really good talent. Saban ran off quite a number of players that year as well. Of course nobody in the history of college football has ever had the level of talent that Saban gets to coach now.

I appreciate that. But they were 6-7 the year before and not ranked preseason for his first year either and finished 7-6. Also, takes longer to turn over a football roster.

NCMSTFAN
05-30-2021, 11:36 AM
I don’t remember all the posts you or anyone else were making before the season last year about how vastly overrated we were as a top team and that we didn’t have the talent to make tournament. Can you please point those out? We had at a min. Top 25 talent last year and to state otherwise after the season is disingenuous.

Honestly the point of my posts was really the initial question. History is vastly opposed to the idea that a good coach had to have certain fit players to show that they will be successful. And it just may be a flop here and she has success elsewhere later. But history is against just a roster turnover making a 180 degree difference. It may help but we had the talent to be in the tournament and a Top 25 team.

History is vastly opposed to the idea of a good coach needing a certain fit of players to succed??? Then why the heck does Mike Leach get the same pass? Everyone has been preaching that he needs a certain type team to successfully run the Air raid. Well NMP needs certain players to run her up and down style of play. She was successful at ODU running it and was a very successful Assistant under Dawn Staley.

Since we are speaking about History, what new coach comes in and hits the ground running when taking over a program like Vic built? There is usually a process, give her a fair shot, not one season.

Really Clark?
05-30-2021, 11:40 AM
History is vastly opposed to the idea of a good coach needing a certain fit of players to succed??? Then why the heck does Mike Leach get the same pass? Everyone has been preaching that he needs a certain type team to successfully run the Air raid. Well NMP needs certain players to run her up and down style of play. She was successful at ODU running it and was a very successful Assistant under Dawn Staley.

Since we are speaking about History, what new coach comes in and hits the ground running when taking over a program like Vic built? There is usually a process, give her a fair shot, not one season.

I think Leach underachieved last year on offense, we also ended up having to start a freshman at QB. But history most definitely shows that a new coach that comes in to a successful program and tanks this bad their first year, very very seldom are they able to get it back. Again, give me all the examples where it happens.

NCMSTFAN
05-30-2021, 01:01 PM
I think Leach underachieved last year on offense, we also ended up having to start a freshman at QB. But history most definitely shows that a new coach that comes in to a successful program and tanks this bad their first year, very very seldom are they able to get it back. Again, give me all the examples where it happens.
You are essentially saying what I am in terms of a new coach picking things up where a great one left it and things go exactly the same, that rarely happens. So what do you consider getting it back? I am predicting that this team will be more talented than last year, we will win more games, score more points and be better defensively.. We will also get a tournament bid. What is your prediction?

Really Clark?
05-30-2021, 01:31 PM
You are essentially saying what I am in terms of a new coach picking things up where a great one left it and things go exactly the same, that rarely happens. So what do you consider getting it back? I am predicting that this team will be more talented than last year, we will win more games, score more points and be better defensively.. We will also get a tournament bid. What is your prediction?

First, what was your prediction before this season started? Did you claim we were severely overrated and didn’t have talent? We had the talent to be a Top 25 team this year, and it was a flop.

Next year unranked and out by second round. An improvement but not close to what we have been.

maroonmania
05-30-2021, 02:17 PM
I appreciate that. But they were 6-7 the year before and not ranked preseason for his first year either and finished 7-6. Also, takes longer to turn over a football roster.

Yea, I fully agree that a coaching transition for basketball would seem to be easier than a transition in football. I will cut NMP a little slack for last year because even though she got the job in the Spring of 2020 she really never got to be physically with her team to work with them until late in the Fall of 2020. If the team doesn't show marked improvement this year though then its time to move on.

NCMSTFAN
05-30-2021, 02:43 PM
First, what was your prediction before this season started? Did you claim we were severely overrated and didn’t have talent? We had the talent to be a Top 25 team this year, and it was a flop.

Next year unranked and out by second round. An improvement but not close to what we have been.

No not at all, I didn't have a prediction because I understand that transitions can take time so it was a wait and see situation for me. That being said, at a minimum I expected to make the tourney and win a couple games. Obviously that didn't happen, but it doesn't mean we can't improve. We have some really talented girls, yes more talented than last year, and she brought in 2 really good assistant coaches, one of which just coached in the National Championship game with Arizona so I feel more comfortable with things going forward. If I'm wrong I will gladly come on here and admit it.

CaptainObvious
05-30-2021, 11:50 PM
No not at all, I didn't have a prediction because I understand that transitions can take time so it was a wait and see situation for me. That being said, at a minimum I expected to make the tourney and win a couple games. Obviously that didn't happen, but it doesn't mean we can't improve. We have some really talented girls, yes more talented than last year, and she brought in 2 really good assistant coaches, one of which just coached in the National Championship game with Arizona so I feel more comfortable with things going forward. If I'm wrong I will gladly come on here and admit it.

I?ll play. If she coaches by putting her foot in a players ass because of a lazy pass or a stupid shot, I?ll take a wait and see. If she coaches like they are all at Camp Kumbaya giving each other manis and pedis, then no. If she spends 30 of the 40 minutes coaching from her chair employing her new woke besties to make a play, I will not likely get on board.

Leave the damn politics at the door after last year?s abysmal performance, and I?ll be on board.

NCMSTFAN
05-31-2021, 12:07 PM
I?ll play. If she coaches by putting her foot in a players ass because of a lazy pass or a stupid shot, I?ll take a wait and see. If she coaches like they are all at Camp Kumbaya giving each other manis and pedis, then no. If she spends 30 of the 40 minutes coaching from her chair employing her new woke besties to make a play, I will not likely get on board.

Leave the damn politics at the door after last year?s abysmal performance, and I?ll be on board.

Those same politics Leach publicly spoke on or tweeted about at various times over the years? I gotcha. Just be the same way for everyone. Woke besties? Thats an ignorant statement, no need for me to even address that bs