PDA

View Full Version : We will still be a top 8 National seed

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Just stop. Stop with the sky is falling crap. We won 20 games in the sec. we have a top 9 RPI and an outstanding strength of schedule. The committee looks at BODY OF WORK!!! Not a stupid end of the year Tourny that doesn?t mean much to a lot of people. Just STOP! Geez we are the whiniest fan base in America. No wonder the media doesn?t like us.

KOdawg1
05-27-2021, 12:53 PM
We put ourselves in the position for someone else to take it. I'm not saying we are or aren't a top 8 seed, but no one can definitively say that we are at this point.

R2Dawg
05-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Not being a national seed is not the sky is falling. After the past two weeks, I think some negative reaction is expected. If you think MSU fans are bad. Just imagine Bama getting beat by Vandy in football by 3 TDs. Follow that by getting beat in SECCG by 4 TDs to SECE team. What do you think you would hear from Bama fans?

Losing the game isn't the issue it is how we are losing.

Can we turn it around? Sure we can. We played well against Bama, but they are not a contender either.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 12:55 PM
I'm not sold we'll be a national seed. I hope recency bias doesn't factor in too much

Rex54
05-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Not being a national seed is not the sky is falling. After the past two weeks, I think some negative reaction is expected. If you think MSU fans are bad. Just imagine Bama getting beat by Vandy in football by 3 TDs. Follow that by getting beat in SECCG by 4 TDs to SECE team. What do you think you would hear from Bama fans?

Losing the game isn't the issue it is how we are losing.

Can we turn it around? Sure we can. We played well against Bama, but they are not a contender either.

Bad analogy. Every football game matters.

BeardoMSU
05-27-2021, 12:57 PM
I agree we'll still be a top 8 seed. That being said, these two games have left an awfully bad taste...

Like I said in the game thread, hopefully this was just the result of us not being as focused and "exercising some demons". We've bounced back every time this season, no reason to believe they won't do it again in the regional.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 12:58 PM
I'm not sold we'll be a national seed. I hope recency bias doesn't factor in too much

apparently there are 2 spots for 4 teams: MSU, Texas Tech, TCU, and Stanford. If UF wins the SEC tournament, I have to think they move ahead of us.

Saltydog
05-27-2021, 01:07 PM
You'd better pray Preacher because I don't see it happening......

Tbonewannabe
05-27-2021, 01:10 PM
apparently there are 2 spots for 4 teams: MSU, Texas Tech, TCU, and Stanford. If UF wins the SEC tournament, I have to think they move ahead of us.

I did read where TCU has lost its last 3 or 4 series so if nothing else, I would think they should be outside looking in. Now if UF somehow wins the SEC tourney while beating Ark, and UT then they probably deserve it over us at that point. The NCAA does consider how you have done down the stretch. They do it for every sport. A loss at the beginning of the year doesn't matter as much as a loss at the end of the year which means that Mizzou series plus getting run ruled twice could have screwed us.

Saying that, if you go by resume' then we deserve a National Seed. Who knows if we get it though.

Cowbell
05-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Who cares where we are seeded when we can't show up to play

Dawg2003
05-27-2021, 01:24 PM
Our SOS is 19. That's good but not excellent.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 01:35 PM
David Kellum says state shouldn't lose national seed over sect. Says season should mean more than 2 games

StarkVegasSteve
05-27-2021, 01:36 PM
Right now we need to focus on how to make it out of our own regional before focusing on if we're a national seed or not.

was21
05-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Mediocrity State University

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Our SOS is 19. That's good but not excellent.

When you play Texas, TCU, USM and Texas Tech plus an SEC schedule, you should not be 19th in SOS. That's something that Lemonis and Cohen really need to look at and improve. Gotta stop playing these awful non conference opponents.

BuckyIsAB****
05-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Just stop. Stop with the sky is falling crap. We won 20 games in the sec. we have a top 9 RPI and an outstanding strength of schedule. The committee looks at BODY OF WORK!!! Not a stupid end of the year Tourny that doesn?t mean much to a lot of people. Just STOP! Geez we are the whiniest fan base in America. No wonder the media doesn?t like us.

If we would have played all backups the last 2 games I would agree with you.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 01:46 PM
If we would have played all backups the last 2 games I would agree with you.

7-8-9 hole starters were 0-15 in the SEC tourney yet Lemo won't let Cumbest swing the bat.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 01:51 PM
7-8-9 hole starters were 0-15 in the SEC tourney yet Lemo won't let Cumbest swing the bat.

Is there some little injury or he in the doghouse for some offense? That’s the only reasonable explanation I have for it. I mean our lineup and defense is disjointed anyway you try to shuffle people around but when we trotted Skinner out there again today...I just don’t understand

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 01:57 PM
Is there some little injury or he in the doghouse for some offense? That’s the only reasonable explanation I have for it. I mean our lineup and defense is disjointed anyway you try to shuffle people around but when we trotted Skinner out there again today...I just don’t understand

It's crazy. Lemo has the longest leash for everyone except for Cumbest. Cumbest really added something to the lineup vs A&M and he's batting .329 on the year on a team that struggles to hit 1-9.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:03 PM
To me, it's obviously defense. Clark looked horrible in lf yesterday, and he didn't play today. Can't have a horrible 3b and a horrible lf backing him up when pitching is the team strength. Lemonis doesn't believe his offense for defense is worth it

No BS Dawg
05-27-2021, 02:04 PM
I am not sold on us being a lock for a national seed either. We didn?t look competitive at any point in these two tourney games and that is the last impression shown to the selection committee.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 02:11 PM
To me, it's obviously defense. Clark looked horrible in lf yesterday, and he didn't play today. Can't have a horrible 3b and a horrible lf backing him up when pitching is the team strength. Lemonis doesn't believe his offense for defense is worth it

Blah...Cumbest is a better defender than Clark and his bat out weighs what little difference there is between him and Skinner defensively. And when Brad did have brain fart on defense...Clark did the exact same thing the following day yet still hasn?t missed a start. I?m not buying it

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Blah...Cumbest is a better defender than Clark and his bat out weighs what little difference there is between him and Skinner defensively. And when Brad did have brain fart on defense...Clark did the exact same thing the following day yet still hasn?t missed a start. I?m not buying it

You should tweet that at lemonis. I don't make that call, but his reasoning seems pretty obvious

ETA... I'm not he's right or wrong.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Cumbest is battling a sore high ankle

R2Dawg
05-27-2021, 02:18 PM
Bad analogy. Every football game matters.

You missed the point; wasn't about each game matters. It was about fan reaction to game outcome.

To run with your post to my example. Say Bama wrapped up SECW and plays Vandy and loses by 3 TDs but still goes to playoffs. Do you still think that game doesn't matter? Better, do you think Bama fans are happy about that? Have fun with that.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 02:19 PM
You should tweet that at lemonis. I don't make that call, but his reasoning seems pretty obvious

It’s not though and we all know Lemo knows it as well. There is something else. And didn’t Skinner have a one today as well? And stayed in the game?

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:19 PM
Cumbest is battling a sore high ankle

That's make sense then. How severe? A below avg OF defender with a bad ankle can be a big liability.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:21 PM
It’s not though and we all know Lemo knows it as well. There is something else. And didn’t Skinner have a one today as well? And stayed in the game?

I based it on we put in our best 3b defender yesterday, and went offense in lf. Today, we went offense at 3b and a better defender in lf.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 02:23 PM
Top 16 in order according to D-1

1-arky
2-vandy
3-Texas
4-zona
5-tn
6-nd
7-Tt
8- MSU
9-stanford
10-tcu
11-Oregon
12-ole miss
13-east carolina
14-Florida
15-Gonzaga
16- Florida st

Now tell me who lower than us will pass us??

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 02:23 PM
That's make sense then. How severe? A below avg OF defender with a bad ankle can be a big liability.

I’m not sure. Just what I was told

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:26 PM
If they have 8-9 teams correctly, that's a huge deal who gets 8. 9 has to cross country (assuming win regional)

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 02:27 PM
I based it on we put in our best 3b defender yesterday, and went offense in lf. Today, we went offense at 3b and a better defender in lf.

Well if Brad is injured then that is what makes the most sense with the whole issue. Otherwise, despite what some think, it’s not really not a big difference between him and Skinner defensively. I understand that Skinner had a pretty good brain fart today but just wasn’t a chargeable error. Brad had a big brain fart, no question and you just can’t have that but overall it’s closer than many think. He also has the better arm.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 02:27 PM
I’m not sure. Just what I was told

Maybe this is just a rest weekend before regional

bobcat91
05-27-2021, 02:53 PM
I dont care what our seed is if we show up and don't compete. This was embarrassing and we let lesser teams kick our ass. If Allen and Jordan don't produce runs, we get hammered because the rest of the lineup are weak fly ball and ground outs. We are playing the worst ball of the year at the wrong time.

The Federalist Engineer
05-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Right now, MSU might be a National Seed or might not be. But since the #8 and #9 get paired in the Super Regional, the path is about the same.

Instead of hosting East Carolina, we prolly got to go there. Or Texas Tech or Whatever. If ECU or TTU does not win their regional, then we host, I believe.

It's not like those are terrifying trips to the Bronx or something. Just moms and dads in the stands at a below average SEC park.

https://careeringcrawdad.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/img_7004.jpg

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-27-2021, 03:06 PM
You know things are rough on this board when preacher is the positive one.

schddog72
05-27-2021, 03:19 PM

With respect to a top 8 national seed, THE SKY IS FALLING!! We are absolute toast to staying anywhere in the top 10, possibly top 12. You just don't shat the bed two consecutive days in tournament play and not have it be a significant impact. Whether you want to believe it or not, but a lot of seeding is "what have you done for me lately?".

Tripp McNeely
05-27-2021, 03:39 PM
With respect to a top 8 national seed, THE SKY IS FALLING!! We are absolute toast to staying anywhere in the top 10, possibly top 12. You just don't shat the bed two consecutive days in tournament play and not have it be a significant impact. Whether you want to believe it or not, but a lot of seeding is "what have you done for me lately?".

Then why the crap did we play those other 54 stupid games??? Seems like we wasted a lot of time during the past 3 months!!

BrunswickDawg
05-27-2021, 03:40 PM
When you play Texas, TCU, USM and Texas Tech plus an SEC schedule, you should not be 19th in SOS. That's something that Lemonis and Cohen really need to look at and improve. Gotta stop playing these awful non conference opponents.

Warren Nolan has our SOS at 12.
Our non- con SOS is 119
For comparison, other non-Con SOS - Ark (61), Vandy (147), TN (155), OM (178), USC (118), UF (146), UGA (128), UK (206), a&M (194), aU (217)

tell me again where our non-con is out of whack?

whosyourdawgy
05-27-2021, 03:41 PM
Cumbest included?

bulldogcountry1
05-27-2021, 03:54 PM

If there are 2 spots for 4 teams, and UF isn?t one of them, how do they move ahead of us?

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 03:56 PM
Our non- con SOS is 119
For comparison, other non-Con SOS - Ark (61), Vandy (147), TN (155), OM (178), USC (118), UF (146), UGA (128), UK (206), a&M (194), aU (217)

Don’t bring logic and reasoning into this. You know we have many who can’t handle it.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 03:57 PM
You know things are rough on this board when preacher is the positive one.

Haha. True story.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 03:59 PM
If there are 2 spots for 4 teams, and UF isn?t one of them, how do they move ahead of us?

It is other people's opinion that there are 4 teams for 2 spots. It is my opinion that if UF wins the SECT they will move ahead of us.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 04:02 PM

Hoops, while a great poster and right more times than not, this time is just dead wrong on this. Tech is in and tcu is out. so it’s really 2 teams battling for one spot. Us and Stanford. Stanford will not jump us , Period.

BrunswickDawg
Don’t bring logic and reasoning into this. You know we have many who can’t handle it.

And we didn't play the Gov cup this year - which cut an OM game and replaced it with a high RPI team. Replace Grambling's 280 with OM's 11 RPI and our non-con SOS is closer to 90.

HoopsDawg
Our non- con SOS is 119

119th is pitiful. quit playing teams like Eastern Michigan and Grambling.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Now let me say this.... if Stanford sweeps Oregon state this weekend then all bets are off.

preachermatt83
05-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Just trust me when I tell you of history is an indicator, the comm puts very very little stock into the conference tournaments.

BeardoMSU
05-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Just trust me when I tell you of history is an indicator, the comm puts very very little stock into the conference tournaments.

To your point, I just can't fathom a way where they leave out an SEC team with a regular season record of 40 total wins and 20 conference wins. That would have to be a first, right?

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 04:24 PM
To your point, I just can't fathom a way where they leave out an SEC team with a regular season record of 40 total wins and 20 conference wins. That would have to be a first, right?

It would be the 3rd time.

BeardoMSU
05-27-2021, 04:26 PM

Really? Who and when? And how do they stack up to us?

msstate7
05-27-2021, 04:30 PM

How many times when you paid top 10 rpi in there too?

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 04:35 PM
Really? Who and when? And how do they stack up to us?

2016 S.Carolina (20-9) and 2015 Vandy (20-10)

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 04:37 PM
How many times when you paid top 10 rpi in there too?

Not sure. Also not sure how many times a national seed has gotten 2 and que'd by run rule in both games.

Captain Falcon
05-27-2021, 04:42 PM

It?s comparable to most SEC teams, better than Vandy, UT, Florida, and Ole Miss.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 04:45 PM

2016 was the year though when we had 4 of the top 8 national seeds. LSU edged out USCe, UM, and Vandy for that 4th spot, no way they were going to give the SEC 5 of the Top 8

MedDawg
05-27-2021, 04:45 PM
You missed the point; wasn't about each game matters. It was about fan reaction to game outcome.

To run with your post to my example. Say Bama wrapped up SECW and plays Vandy and loses by 3 TDs but still goes to playoffs. Do you still think that game doesn't matter? Better, do you think Bama fans are happy about that? Have fun with that.

Bama still makes the playoffs? Yes, I think those games don't matter. Especially if you already knew they didn't matter before you even played them.

Homedawg
05-27-2021, 04:46 PM

Do you have any clue of who we could have gotten? This was a very tough year to schedule. Just move on.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Do you have any clue of who we could have gotten? This was a very tough year to schedule. Just move on.

we do it every year Homedawg.

MedDawg
05-27-2021, 04:49 PM
Maybe this is just a rest weekend before regional

Rest weekend for the whole team.

Really Clark?
05-27-2021, 04:49 PM
Who was it we had to get in last minute this year? Eastern Michigan or Kent? Who were we supposed to play and how did that effect our RPI

HoopsDawg
05-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Who was it we had to get in last minute this year? Eastern Michigan or Kent? Who were we supposed to play and how did that effect our RPI

We picked up Kent. Our other opponent was even worse. And thankfully we canceled a couple of other games that would have damaged our SOS and RPI.

Captain Falcon
05-27-2021, 04:55 PM

Both of those were kinda seen as screw jobs if I recall. Vandy got left out in favor of a Big 10 team (Illinois I think) so they paired them together in a super and Vandy crushed them. That Vandy team won the East and got to the finals in Hoover so that one is really puzzling. RPI info from that long ago is hard to find but it appears they were hurt by several non conference losses.

South Carolina 2016 is the most similar to us this year. They won the East but struggled a little down the stretch went 0-2 in Hoover and the committee picked LSU for that spot instead. So the precedent is definitely there.

msstate7
05-27-2021, 04:55 PM
Rest weekend for the whole team.

Appeared that way

TNDawg35
05-27-2021, 04:57 PM

Bullshit. This is total bullshit. The tournament means absolutely nothing except for the teams needing to make a deep run to make it in the dance or a team on the fringe.

Kendal Rogers even said as much Monday. Said 7 or 8 seeds were locked, with the 8th being between TCU, Ole Miss, Stanford, and a couple more teams. WE WERENT ONE OF THEM NEEDING IT.

And the tourney is not what have you done for me lately. Just stop dude...

BeardoMSU
05-27-2021, 05:04 PM
Appeared that way

and for our brains and balls, apparently, lol

R2Dawg
05-27-2021, 06:44 PM
Bama still makes the playoffs? Yes, I think those games don't matter. Especially if you already knew they didn't matter before you even played them.

You still miss the point, had nothing to do with the game and making next level or anything. Has to do with fan reaction to losing a bad team or getting boat raced by a good team and the fan reaction.

preachermatt83
05-28-2021, 12:09 AM
Btw, KP just said pretty much the same thing I said earlier. This Tourny will only affect our National seed aspirations, if Stanford were to sweep Osu this weekend

HoopsDawg
05-28-2021, 12:17 AM
Btw, KP just said pretty much the same thing I said earlier. This Tourny will only affect our National seed aspirations, if Stanford were to sweep Osu this weekend

That's basically what everyone is saying. My only addendum is that if UF wins the SEC tourney, the committee MIGHT make them a national seed.

preachermatt83
05-28-2021, 12:25 AM
That's basically what everyone is saying. My only addendum is that if UF wins the SEC tourney, the committee MIGHT make them a national seed.

I honestly don’t think there is anything Florida can do to be a National seed. They could run rule everyone in the tourney and I still don’t think they would be top 8. We will find out soon enough though.

Offshore Dawg
05-28-2021, 08:00 AM
Seems like everyone has an opinion !!

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-28-2021, 08:39 AM
I say no. Have a feeling the committee will find an easy reason not to have 4/8 top seeds from the SEC

PGHBulldogBG
05-28-2021, 09:01 AM

Yes I agree with this because it Florida gets 4 SEC wins in the tournament that puts them at 21 wins with a win over us. We would only have 20. I think we will be National seed as long as UF doesn?t win the title

State82
05-28-2021, 09:36 AM

Well, Stanford is two wins away then. They won last night 1-0. Our ragtag bunch that seems to be content with playing rec ball here of late should have tuned in to that one to see how to pitch and play defense.

PGHBulldogBG
05-28-2021, 12:06 PM
I think our only hope for a National seed now is for Stanford to lose. Ark, Vandy, Tenn, Arizona, Notre Dame, Texas, TCU are pretty much locks. That leaves 1 slot between Miss State and Stanford or possibly Florida if they win the SEC tournament. We really need Stanford to lose

mparkerfd20
05-28-2021, 03:22 PM
I can't imagine the melt we'll see when Ole Miss steals our national seed.

BeardoMSU
05-28-2021, 03:30 PM
I can't imagine the melt we'll see when Ole Miss steals our national seed.

I don't think there's any way they could do that, tbh.

But I'll say their pitching has looked much better this week than I anticipated. They've got guys other than Nikhazy.

PGHBulldogBG
05-28-2021, 04:53 PM
If Ole Miss beats Vandy, Ark twice and then UF or UT they deserve to be the National seed over us. That would give them like 23 SEC wins to our 20. I just don?t see that happening

BeardoMSU
05-28-2021, 05:05 PM
If Ole Miss beats Vandy, Ark twice and then UF or UT they deserve to be the National seed over us. That would give them like 23 SEC wins to our 20. I just don?t see that happening

They ain't firing Bianco now, lol. Regardless what happens the rest of the season.

Homedawg
05-28-2021, 05:26 PM
They don't play ark twice. It's back to single elimination tomorrow.

BeardoMSU
05-28-2021, 05:32 PM
They don't play ark twice. It's back to single elimination tomorrow.

Even if they don't make it through that, their pitching situation probably isn't as dire as we all had hoped...

Homedawg
05-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Even if they don't make it through that, their pitching situation probably isn't as dire as we all had hoped...

They got two career outings. If they go anywhere it will be Bc of DN and their hitting. Which they can do

Coach34
05-28-2021, 06:01 PM
Yes I agree with this because it Florida gets 4 SEC wins in the tournament that puts them at 21 wins with a win over us. We would only have 20. I think we will be National seed as long as UF doesn?t win the title

Fla will not be a top 8 seed with 19 losses

basedog
05-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Vandy looked like a tired baseball team. I think they have peaked. Still a good and dangerous team.

preachermatt83
05-28-2021, 11:11 PM
Vandy looked like a tired baseball team. I think they have peaked. Still a good and dangerous team.

I told my wife this today. They look like they’ve hit a fatigue wall

Commercecomet24
05-29-2021, 01:23 AM
They got two career outings. If they go anywhere it will be Bc of DN and their hitting. Which they can do

This. They're pitching has been crappy all year outside of nikhazy and Broadway and hoglund before he was injured, they're hitting has carried them. These starts the last couple days were exceptions not the rule

Commercecomet24
05-29-2021, 01:25 AM

Yeah 6-8 weeks ago people were saying nobody could beat them in a series because you had rocker and leiter back to back but the last 3-4 weeks they've been good but but great and last couple of days looked average.

preachermatt83
05-31-2021, 08:50 PM

Nice call!!