PDA

View Full Version : Minor League baseball - again

RocketDawg
05-26-2021, 06:47 PM
Watching the Trash Pandas play B'ham and noticed a countdown clock. Are they experimenting with a time limit between pitches? Sounds like a good thing to do if that's what's happening.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2021, 06:53 PM
This is definitely the best experimental rule and I hope it's added to MLB.

I've come around on limiting throws to first base to 2. You can throw over a third time, and if he's out, it's fine, but if he's safe it's a balk. I hated that at first, but I actually think it's OK after further reflection.

Rex54
05-26-2021, 07:03 PM
I think people are mistaken in the "pace of play" being a huge issue. The biggest issue facing the time of games is hitters working walks and pitchers targeting K's. You don't need a pitch clock if there are more balls in play and actual action on the field.

I don't care if the guy throws it every 20 seconds if the results are still 25 K's a game and a league batting average under .240.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2021, 07:06 PM
I think people are mistaken in the "pace of play" being a huge issue. The biggest issue facing the time of games is hitters working walks and pitchers targeting K's. You don't need a pitch clock if there are more balls in play and actual action on the field.

I don't care if the guy throws it every 20 seconds if the results are still 25 K's a game and a league batting average under .240.

I watch baseball for the shifts, home runs, and Ks, I just want them to hurry up.

Rex54
05-26-2021, 07:12 PM
I watch baseball for the shifts, home runs, and Ks, I just want them to hurry up.

Rob Manfred and most everyone in the leadership of the game agree with me.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Rob Manfred and most everyone in the leadership of the game agree with me.

How embarrassing for you...

RocketDawg
05-26-2021, 07:18 PM

Best I can tell, it's a 15 second clock. It's out of camera view most of the time - appears to be on the third base side 45 degrees back from the home plate umpire.

I agree that pace of play is overemphasized, especially when there are lengthy advertising times. After all, you don't go to a game to be in a hurry to leave. But baseball is inherently slow and sometimes the pitcher can needlessly screw around a lot, so the pitch clock is a pretty good thing. I remember when basketball didn't have a shot clock, and teams could "freeze" the ball. LSU was notorious for doing that.

Rex54
05-26-2021, 07:44 PM
How embarrassing for you...

Sick burn bro

SailingDawg
05-26-2021, 07:57 PM
I think the Shuckers had a clock two years ago.

parabrave
05-26-2021, 08:08 PM
Watching the Trash Pandas play B'ham and noticed a countdown clock. Are they experimenting with a time limit between pitches? Sounds like a good thing to do if that's what's happening.

Been like this for 3 seasons. Also a limit of trips to the mound

dawgman
05-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Best I can tell, it's a 15 second clock. It's out of camera view most of the time - appears to be on the third base side 45 degrees back from the home plate umpire.

I agree that pace of play is overemphasized, especially when there are lengthy advertising times. After all, you don't go to a game to be in a hurry to leave. But baseball is inherently slow and sometimes the pitcher can needlessly screw around a lot, so the pitch clock is a pretty good thing. I remember when basketball didn't have a shot clock, and teams could "freeze" the ball. LSU was notorious for doing that.

Babe McCarthy used the 4 corners a lot.