PDA

View Full Version : That was fun

CadaverDawg
05-26-2021, 12:46 PM
Losing I can live with....taking a few games off every couple of weeks and just going through the motions doesn't sit well with me. I'd imagine most State fans feel the same way. I don't care if we're pitching our worst versus their best, getting run ruled when in position to be a National Seed is inexcusable. I didn't give a shit if we lost today, but I give a major shit that we got run ruled and looked like hot garbage. Lemonis should be pissed, and if he's not, I'm even more pissed.

msstatelp1
05-26-2021, 12:48 PM
Exactly

Activated Alpha
05-26-2021, 12:49 PM
That's the thing though, you have to go back to 2016 where we weren't embarrassed in at least one game in the SEC tournament. I'm tired of that.

Extendedcab
05-26-2021, 12:52 PM
You are going to have to define FUN! That was a frigging train wreck! If I were Lemonis, I would be chewing some major league ass right now!!

Rex54
05-26-2021, 12:55 PM
The only success or failure of this tournament is if anyone suffers an injury that keeps them out of the Regional.

KOdawg1
05-26-2021, 01:03 PM
My biggest issue with this team is they let minor issues snowball into major issues. It's not that they play with fire. They dump the gas, hold up the candle, spray hairspray on it, and fart on it as they walk off.

BiscuitEater
05-26-2021, 01:14 PM
That's the thing though, you have to go back to 2016 where we weren't embarrassed in at least one game in the SEC tournament. I'm tired of that.

Since we won SEC in 2016 MSU has had like 4 different Head Coaches but has been to what, TWO CWS!

Me, I'd rather go to CWSs than look good in a meaningless SECT game.

msstate7
05-26-2021, 01:22 PM
Since we won SEC in 2016 MSU has had like 4 different Head Coaches but has been to what, TWO CWS!

Not sure why it's one or the other. 5 of last 8 sec tourney champs made Omaha

State82
05-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Should have given the entire bunch cheap truckers hats when they got back in the bus with Quality Lawn Care or some such shit printed on the front and told them to wear these until you become worthy of the M over S again. That was inexcusable and a complete embarrassment to MSU baseball.

basedog
05-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Arkansas, Vandy and Tn want to win this tournament. The thing is, it's going to happen every year and as fans to say it doesn't matter is a head scratcher to me. Again some got there wish and shouldn't complain, we got beat badly and didn't perform like a top program. Shameful to get beat with run rule coming into play for a so called top 8 team.

Say what y'all want, but the next game means something to Msu pride! I didn't make the tourney and I hat those that paid money to see us play like little league beginners!

bobtail bob
05-26-2021, 01:58 PM
I feel the same way cadaver. When this team has an opportunity to lay down they do it. It’s as if no one is saying “ We are going to give maximum effort even though we probably don’t need to. That’s a lack of leadership and is troubling

HancockCountyDog
05-26-2021, 02:01 PM
I'm buying anyone's regional and super regional tickets if they are so sick of today's result that they aren't going to the game.

Saltydog
05-26-2021, 02:22 PM
This team ain't going to Omaha. I'm not sure they'll make it out of a regional.

Activated Alpha
05-26-2021, 02:33 PM

Of course I would want to be HOT during CWS, but if we are rated as a top program then we should play as one even during a tournament that people don't care about. Championship caliber teams care about every game and every series.

Rex54
05-26-2021, 02:51 PM
Of course I would want to be HOT during CWS, but if we are rated as a top program then we should play as one even during a tournament that people don't care about. Championship caliber teams care about every game and every series.

No, they don't. MLB teams often sit the important players the week before the playoffs begin.

msstate7
05-26-2021, 03:03 PM
No, they don't. MLB teams often sit the important players the week before the playoffs begin.

We sit some players today?

Rex54
05-26-2021, 04:38 PM

No, I'm saying this "every game is life or death" is nonsense. These games don't mean anything big picture. I wish we would sit Rowdey, Tanner, Hancock, and Allen tomorrow and certainly wouldn't pitch MacLeod, Bednar, or Sims at all in Hoover.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2021, 04:47 PM
No, I'm saying this "every game is life or death" is nonsense. These games don't mean anything big picture. I wish we would sit Rowdey, Tanner, Hancock, and Allen tomorrow and certainly wouldn't pitch MacLeod, Bednar, or Sims at all in Hoover.

We are supposed to be a national seed. We just got boat raced 13-1 in 7 innings. Mercy ruled. It's ok to say we sucked today.

Coach34
05-26-2021, 05:34 PM

Our SP's going 2 weeks without pitching live is not good. I like Sullivan's approach- make sure all your SP's get a start this week. I wish we had done the same. As the Wise Man Bryan of Twitter said today- "treat the tournament like a bullpen session don't get mad when it turns into batting practice"

We were never going to beat Fla starting Smith on the mound

Rex54
05-26-2021, 06:06 PM
Our SP's going 2 weeks without pitching live is not good

I disagree. I don't think it will matter in the slightest

Coach34
05-26-2021, 06:21 PM
Different philosophies- neither is wrong. As a former pitcher- I agree with Sully.

R2Dawg
05-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Our SP's going 2 weeks without pitching live is not good. I like Sullivan's approach- make sure all your SP's get a start this week. I wish we had done the same. As the Wise Man Bryan of Twitter said today- "treat the tournament like a bullpen session don't get mad when it turns into batting practice"

We were never going to beat Fla starting Smith on the mound

So has he said no SP are playing this week? What I heard was they will play but not Wed. I don't like sitting for two weeks either Stay on schedule.

Captain Falcon
05-26-2021, 06:46 PM
Different philosophies- neither is wrong. As a former pitcher- I agree with Sully.

Well it's a non-issue for MacLeod, and if you win tomorrow it's a non-issue for Bednar as well. I would rather hedge your bets that you'll be able to win at least one of your first two games than pitch your important arms on short rest for a mostly meaningless tournament.

KOdawg1
05-26-2021, 07:03 PM
I disagree. I don't think it will matter in the slightest

Well you also thought Hatcher was the answer even when it was apparent he wasn't, so I don't think anyone cares

Coach34
05-26-2021, 07:13 PM
Well it's a non-issue for MacLeod, and if you win tomorrow it's a non-issue for Bednar as well. I would rather hedge your bets that you'll be able to win at least one of your first two games than pitch your important arms on short rest for a mostly meaningless tournament.

Short rest? How the **** is 6 days short rest? Mac threw Thursday and could have easily come back and thrown today on 6 days rest. He is going to throw every 5th day starting in July. We likely lose tomorrow and Bednar wont get to pitch. And thats going to be a ****-up by this coaching staff

confucius say
05-26-2021, 07:26 PM

Yes. Mac. Bednar, sims, Johnson. OM, LSU, TN, Fla all through weekend guys in their first game.

msstate7
05-26-2021, 07:32 PM
Yes. Mac. Bednar, sims, Johnson. OM, LSU, TN, Fla all through weekend guys in their first game.

Lol, come on mane... his point was mlb rested guy bc the games weren't important. If we were taking the mlb approach to games didn't matter a bit, rowdey and TA wouldn't have been out there. You calling us not using any of your list tomorrow? And at what point would you have used our best relievers? It was basically over after 2

confucius say
05-26-2021, 07:33 PM
Short rest? How the **** is 6 days short rest? Mac threw Thursday and could have easily come back and thrown today on 6 days rest. He is going to throw every 5th day starting in July. We likely lose tomorrow and Bednar wont get to pitch. And thats going to be a ****-up by this coaching staff

6 days is, by definition, short rest when normal rest is 7 days. Our fan base freaks out like this every year at this tourney

confucius say
05-26-2021, 07:39 PM
Lol, come on mane... his point was mlb rested guy bc the games weren't important. If we were taking the mlb approach to games didn't matter a bit, rowdey and TA wouldn't have been out there. You calling us not using any of your list tomorrow? And at what point would you have used our best relievers? It was basically over after 2

And we rested our two best starters and the whole team knew it. My point was we threw off today and people are freaking out. The whole team knew we were throwing off and it was a bullpen day. Kam and LoTan didn't run out ground balls. Forsythe didn't cover second. LoTan was lazy behind the plate. We didn't give two craps about the game and it was obvious. We will show up tomorrow and play. We may not win, but it won't be an off day like we treated today.

Activated Alpha
05-26-2021, 07:39 PM
6 days is, by definition, short rest when normal rest is 7 days. Our fan base freaks out like this every year at this tourney

Which is ultimately my point. For the past 5 years we have had a game where we get blasted in the tournament. I know we have had success post SEC tournament and that is more important, but what I saw out there today was embarrassing. Seemed like we weren?t focused in any aspect of the game

confucius say
05-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Which is ultimately my point. For the past 5 years we have had a game where we get blasted in the tournament. I know we have had success post SEC tournament and that is more important, but what I saw out there today was embarrassing. Seemed like we weren?t focused in any aspect of the game

I agree. We weren't focused at all. The effort was crap. We're not the most mature bunch.

Activated Alpha
05-26-2021, 07:43 PM
And we rested our two best starters and the whole team knew it. My point was we threw off today and people are freaking out. The whole team knew we were throwing off and it was a bullpen day. Kam and LoTan didn't run out ground balls. Forsythe didn't cover second. LoTan was lazy behind the plate. We didn't give two craps about the game and it was obvious. We will show up tomorrow and play. We may not win, but it won't be an off day like we treated today.

Whose decision was it to not give two shites about this game? Coaches, players, or both? If I had spent money going to watch them play and that is their mentality, then I would not ever make that trip again. People have a right to be pissed at the product they were given this morning

HoopsDawg
05-26-2021, 07:44 PM
somehow Arkansas who has locked up the #1 overall seed managed to show up and play an inspired, focused baseball game without their Ace.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2021, 07:46 PM

Sully is regarded by recruits and coaches as the top coach in the country for pitchers. So yeah, I will go with Sully over Rex69.

KOdawg1
05-26-2021, 07:48 PM
somehow Arkansas who has locked up the #1 overall seed managed to show up and play an inspired, focused baseball game without their Ace.

Well when your opponent walks you 13 times, 3 of which happen with the bases loaded, you tend to do that.

Not saying they wouldn't have won the game anyway, but it'd be nice if one of our opponents walked us 13 times. Instead we get a career best performance.

confucius say
05-26-2021, 08:00 PM
Whose decision was it to not give two shites about this game? Coaches, players, or both? If I had spent money going to watch them play and that is their mentality, then I would not ever make that trip again. People have a right to be pissed at the product they were given this morning

Starts at the top

BiscuitEater
05-26-2021, 08:01 PM
My biggest issue with this team is they let minor issues snowball into major issues.

90% of baseball fans that post here have 'demanded' Lemonis try someone else be the 3rd starter!

He did! And, now all of sudden we should've tried to win the meaninglessness tournament!

Can't have both!

Coach34
05-26-2021, 08:13 PM
It's not meaningless. If you are playing- it's time to ****ing win. Good teams show up and ball.

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2021, 08:25 PM
90% of baseball fans that post here have 'demanded' Lemonis try someone else be the 3rd starter!

He did! And, now all of sudden we should've tried to win the meaninglessness tournament!

Can't have both!

I asked for B Smith but was working during his short stint and could not watch the results for Smith. Statistically he got wrecked but some folks say that the defense was dodgy behind him.

What happened beyond the Box Score?

B Smith is a top pitcher on the staff and very experienced, he was not supposed to be a crazy gamble

WPS
05-26-2021, 08:45 PM

And lost maybe their best hitter to an ankle injury :rolleyes:

maroonmania
05-26-2021, 09:04 PM

Well, I don't have a strong opinion about it, but the last time Mac threw on 6 days rest against the worst team in the SEC, he didn't get past 3 innings. Just sayin'.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2021, 09:07 PM
I asked for B Smith but was working during his short stint and could not watch the results for Smith. Statistically he got wrecked but some folks say that the defense was dodgy behind him.

What happened beyond the Box Score?

B Smith is a top pitcher on the staff and very experienced, he was not supposed to be a crazy gamble

1st inning, bases loaded, 2 outs, he throws a pitch a little low and outside and Logan Tanner reaches out and trys to backhand the ball instead of blocking it. The ball didn't get away far, but far enough to give up the run. Then Smith gets the batter out. Should have been 0 runs.

2nd inning, would have been a quick inning, but we put the shift on a RH batter. He hit what would have been a routine ball to our 2nd basemen but no one was home. They went on to score 3 runs that never would have happened and caused Brandon to throw an extra 20 pitches, plus.

3rd inning: Gave up a bomb on a 1-2 pitch. high fastball. Not a great pitch but a great hit as well. 2nd batter ripped one and then we took him out for Tullar.

Rex54
05-26-2021, 09:09 PM
It's not meaningless. If you are playing- it's time to ****ing win. Good teams show up and ball.

You play to win the national championship. If Arkansas had sat literally every starter in Hoover they would be in a much better position to win the national championship than they currently are.

If we catch Southern in the regional, are you advocating starting Mac or Bednar against them? You play to win right? Gotta win the immediate game? No, you don't throw Mac or Bednar there because you play to win the whole thing.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2021, 09:38 PM
Again, I don't mind losing in the tourney and not over-extending our best arms. That being said, you can do that without getting your teeth kicked in. We're supposed to be one of the best teams in the country, so just because we started a guy that hadn't been a weekend starter, doesn't mean the bats and fielders take the day off and fold like a lawn chair. Have some f'n pride and go out and prove that we can beat Florida's best available with anybody in our pen bc we're F'ing M over S and we'll out slug you if we have to. But no, it's easier to just show up and get your shit pushed in because "it's meaningless". That's weak shit from a mentally weak team. And if you don't think that can rear it's head in Regional play, you're crazy. Because the 2-4 seeds are going to come to Starkville wanting to win, and wanting to kick our ass in our best stadium in the country....so if our boys don't learn to respect the game and show up every day, they'll get embarrassed on their own field next weekend. Like I said, I can take a loss, but I can't stomach a half assed effort in a tournament no less. Have some damn pride.

Activated Alpha
05-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Again, I don't mind losing in the tourney and not over-extending our best arms. That being said, you can do that without getting your teeth kicked in. We're supposed to be one of the best teams in the country, so just because we started a guy that hadn't been a weekend starter, doesn't mean the bats and fielders take the day off and fold like a lawn chair. Have some f'n pride and go out and prove that we can beat Florida's best available with anybody in our pen bc we're F'ing M over S and we'll out slug you if we have to. But no, it's easier to just show up and get your shit pushed in because "it's meaningless". That's weak shit from a mentally weak team. And if you don't think that can rear it's head in Regional play, you're crazy. Because the 2-4 seeds are going to come to Starkville wanting to win, and wanting to kick our ass in our best stadium in the country....so if our boys don't learn to respect the game and show up every day, they'll get embarrassed on their own field next weekend. Like I said, I can take a loss, but I can't stomach a half assed effort in a tournament no less. Have some damn pride.

This all day. Every day. Too bad Rex cant understand this. He wants to be right so bad

RezDog7
05-26-2021, 10:17 PM

I pitched in little league too.

confucius say
05-26-2021, 10:32 PM

We've failed to show up at all a couple times this year. Sign of immaturity. Good news is we've always responded well and played well.

Coach34
05-26-2021, 10:41 PM
I pitched in little league too.

I pitched in both juco and semi-pro so I feel like I can provide some semblance of perspective.

msstatelp1
05-27-2021, 05:54 AM
You play to win the national championship. If Arkansas had sat literally every starter in Hoover they would be in a much better position to win the national championship than they currently are.

If we catch Southern in the regional, are you advocating starting Mac or Bednar against them? You play to win right? Gotta win the immediate game? No, you don't throw Mac or Bednar there because you play to win the whole thing.

And if we play like we did then Southern puts us in the losers bracket.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-27-2021, 05:58 AM
Floridas coach knows what it takes to win a National Championship.... ours dont.