Cowbell
05-25-2021, 09:03 AM
LT Cross
LG Sharp
C Smith
RG Jones/Johnson/Lashley/JUCO from MGCC
RT Lashley/Jones/Johnson/JUCO

Thoughts?

Does Cole Smith take a step forward this year? I honestly think our year depends a lot on his leadership at center.

msstate7
05-25-2021, 09:40 AM
I really hope we see pure dominance out of cross. Obviously nfl mocks see it coming

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2021, 10:09 AM
LT - Cross
LG - Sharp
C - Smith
RG - Johnson
RT - Lashley

If Cole doesn't improve I expect to see Sharp moved to Center & Kam Jones at LG.

Saltydog
05-25-2021, 10:45 AM
I think this is a pretty good group to be honest. Just wish we'd run the ball more.

Hot Rock
05-25-2021, 11:03 AM
I think this is a pretty good group to be honest. Just wish we'd run the ball more.

I don't care if he runs it or not. I just care about winning. This run the ball more crap didn't work for the last 70 years... lets try it this way for awhile.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2021, 11:14 AM

Have any of our media asked Leach about our splits? If Leach is going to continue using splits between 3 to 6 feet, we won't be able to run the ball with much success.

Offshore Dawg
05-25-2021, 11:54 AM
I don't care if he runs it or not. I just care about winning. This run the ball more crap didn't work for the last 70 years... lets try it this way for awhile.

This, it is time to try more passing. Running has only gotten us so far to bottom half of the league

NWADAWG
05-25-2021, 11:54 AM

I'll say it a different way. I hope we can really capitalize and make teams pay by running the ball well when teams over commit to stop the pass.

Johnson85
05-25-2021, 11:57 AM

I don't know. Thinking about dropping back to pass dozens of times a game, none of those guys outside of Cross gives me the warm and fuzzies.

preachermatt83
05-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Wide splits can help with the run if the OL executes properly.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2021, 12:29 PM

In 2008, yeah sure. In another conference, probably. In the SEC in 2020 and 2021, now way. We just aren't good enough to win man on man battles vs SEC D-linemen on a consistent basis. We need zone blocking principles, we need slide pass protection, we need to be able to double team, Leach's wide splits make all of that impossible.

Hot Rock
05-25-2021, 01:29 PM
I'll say it a different way. I hope we can really capitalize and make teams pay by running the ball well when teams over commit to stop the pass.

I think Leach wants his QB doing that very thing. He gives them a run play to check into on every down and they even did that more as Rogers got in there.

R2Dawg
05-25-2021, 01:53 PM

Well the winning we have in our history is due to running the ball. We must run to ball some and more than last year or we ain't winning. Last year should have proved you can't pass 80% of time and win in SEC. Did you watch last two games we won when we ran the ball more against two top 25 teams for wins?

Hot Rock
05-25-2021, 03:03 PM
Well the winning we have in our history is due to running the ball. We must run to ball some and more than last year or we ain't winning. Last year should have proved you can't pass 80% of time and win in SEC. Did you watch last two games we won when we ran the ball more against two top 25 teams for wins?

See my last post.... I already addressed that very statement.

Jack Lambert
05-25-2021, 03:21 PM
What ever it takes to win. However we do have two good RB's and I enjoyed watching them run last year. I will be a little disappointed if they don't run the ball.

Cowbell
05-25-2021, 03:51 PM
LT - Cross
LG - Sharp
C - Smith
RG - Johnson
RT - Lashley

If Cole doesn't improve I expect to see Sharp moved to Center & Kam Jones at LG.

Good to hear - I have my doubts

Cowbell
05-25-2021, 04:20 PM

Extremely hard to do in this league / have to have extremely quick feet

BuckyIsAB****
05-25-2021, 04:51 PM

We will. It wont be what some of yall want but it will be 80-20 75-25 range

BuckyIsAB****
05-25-2021, 04:53 PM
In 2008, yeah sure. In another conference, probably. In the SEC in 2020 and 2021, now way. We just aren't good enough to win man on man battles vs SEC D-linemen on a consistent basis. We need zone blocking principles, we need slide pass protection, we need to be able to double team, Leach's wide splits make all of that impossible.

Zone blocking and 1 back power and the toss vs 4is is all we do. We vertical set in the pass game I would not argue with Leach when it comes to OL. He always has a good one

Cowbell
05-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Zone blocking and 1 back power and the toss vs 4is is all we do. We vertical set in the pass game I would not argue with Leach when it comes to OL. He always has a good one

He didn't last year

BuckyIsAB****
05-25-2021, 05:06 PM
He didn't last year

Well they were in a whole new world too

Cowbell
05-25-2021, 05:36 PM
Well they were in a whole new world too

I agree but it was bad enough to be a concern

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2021, 06:03 PM
We will. It wont be what some of yall want but it will be 80-20 75-25 range

I think 70/30 or 65/35 is right in that sweet spot.

Coach34
05-25-2021, 06:33 PM
Hot take:

We lose every SEC game we dont run the ball 40% of the time in 2021.

As much as LSU threw the ball with Burrow in 2019- they were about 53-47 pass/run. We just wont beat people running their 3-8 defenses passing 70% of the time

HoopsDawg
05-25-2021, 07:50 PM
Hot take:

As much as LSU threw the ball with Burrow in 2019- they were about 53-47 pass/run. We just wont beat people running their 3-8 defenses passing 70% of the time

100% correct.

Johnson85
05-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Hot take:

If other teams can run a 3-8 defense 70% of the time, that means we have not been successful running and we will be shitty.

Did we run the ball 40% of the time in any game last year?

BrunswickDawg
05-26-2021, 07:39 AM
If other teams can run a 3-8 defense 70% of the time, that means we have not been successful running and we will be shitty.

Did we run the ball 40% of the time in any game last year?

mizzou we ran 41%; Tulsa we ran 50% - most of the other games were in the 20s.

Hot Rock
05-26-2021, 08:03 AM
Hot take:

Running the ball has not worked ever at State and you want him to run it. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Let the guy do what he does and see if it works.

Hot Rock
05-26-2021, 08:08 AM
I am going to support him and not second guess his every move until it's time to replace him. This is the guy we have hired, he will be here. Give him all the support you can until it's time to make change with the play on the filed. One year or even two was never going to be that point either. By year three? OK then, if he hasn't got what he needs by then the powers that be will have to make a decision for the future.

in the meantime, he is recruiting well and will leave this place in good shape either way.

I just don't get anyone doing it any other way.

Coach34
05-26-2021, 08:37 AM
Supporting him is fine. I support him as well.

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren’t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.

NWADAWG
05-26-2021, 09:00 AM

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren?t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.

Is it really the quantity of the runs or the quality of the runs? If we burn them for big yards every time the linebackers turn and sprint to coverage too quickly, it will force those LBs to pause and respect the run first. That will open up some of the passing lanes. We will get struggle moving the ball if linebackers can just drop out at the snap and we still only get 4 yards vs 3 down lineman. Then they don't have to respect the run and passing lanes will close.

RiverCityDawg
05-26-2021, 01:08 PM

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren’t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.

I'll be interested to see how much 3-8 we see. Arkansas and UK will obviously do it since that's all they did last year and it worked, but other teams didn't do it as much. Georgia started out that way then went back to more what they usually do. A&M, Auburn and Alabama mixed it up.

I have no doubt we'll see it a lot, but some of these stubborn man-defense DC's will keep doing what they know. Plus if we can run it just marginally better and execute the pass against it a little better, I think some of these DC's that start the game 3-8 will get anxious and go back to what they know better during the game like what we saw with Kirby.