PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State loses in SWAC title

CadaverDawg
05-23-2021, 05:52 PM
They went undefeated in the SWAC this year but will now be at home during Regionals because they lost the SWAC title game. Whether you like them or not, that sucks. I wonder if they will stick Southern U in our Regional since most projections had JSU? Would be a nice trade off, not that it should matter

DownwardDawg
05-23-2021, 06:01 PM
That would be great. We could start pretty much anybody game 1 and then our weekend guys after that.

Quaoarsking
05-23-2021, 06:08 PM
It's idiotic of any 1-bid league to have a conference tournament. Jackson State was a team that had some potential to make noise in a Regional, but the SWAC (and any other conference in this situation) has shot itself in the foot.

It's one thing if your conference makes money from the tournament, but I'm sure none of the small conferences do.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Yeah it sucks for jsu but I got 2 of the kids I coached for years in travel and showcase ball on that southern team so I'm happy to see them get in. It is crappy that the regular season is basically meaningless for some of these conferences though.

MetEdDawg
05-23-2021, 06:19 PM
Southern now becomes the highest RPI team to ever make the field of 64.

chef dixon
05-23-2021, 07:00 PM
I'd rather see them give a bid to someone like JSU then a shitty Bama or UGA team, for example, that have had plenty of chances to make their case

WinningIsRelentless
05-23-2021, 07:17 PM
The guy who hit the hr was from Brookhaven

Rex54
05-23-2021, 07:25 PM
Conference tournaments in baseball should be scrapped altogether- still give every conference a bid.

Ari Gold
05-23-2021, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the Starkville Regional Southern U

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2021, 08:34 AM
I consider it retribution from the Baseball Gods for their coach bitching after we donated gear to them after their bus caught fire:
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/6/1/5770060/jackson-states-baseball-coach-does-not-appreciate-mississippi-states

MStateDawg
05-24-2021, 08:56 AM
Jackson State was a team that had some potential to make noise in a Regional

They were going 0-2 regardless

Johnson85
05-24-2021, 12:32 PM
It's idiotic of any 1-bid league to have a conference tournament. Jackson State was a team that had some potential to make noise in a Regional, but the SWAC (and any other conference in this situation) has shot itself in the foot.

It's one thing if your conference makes money from the tournament, but I'm sure none of the small conferences do.

They lose money on pretty much anything they do, so I don't see why that should stop them from having a tournament. Realistically, whether you're talking about a regular season or tournament champion, the SWAC team is not making it out of a regional and even if they do, it's not a big payday for them so it doesn't really matter.

I think that's not a terrible argument for basketball, where each win gets a small conference big money, so they really should want their best team in the NCAA tournament and not have an upset in the conference tournament cost them a chance at real money.

PGHBulldogBG
05-25-2021, 12:07 PM
I'd rather see them give a bid to someone like JSU then a shitty Bama or UGA team, for example, that have had plenty of chances to make their case

I agree. If you can?t win in your conference you don?t deserve a bit. At least get to 15-15 and if you do that then you deserve a shot

smootness
05-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Conference tournaments in baseball should be scrapped altogether- still give every conference a bid.

I think I actually like conference tournaments more for these 1-bid leagues simply because generally speaking, they're not going to do much in a regional. Likely 0-2, maybe win 1. So while it's a bummer for a team like JSU this year, in some ways the conference tournament is their one opportunity to really compete and win in a tournament setting.

Jack Lambert
05-25-2021, 02:58 PM
I think it is bull shit. Southern went 13-11 in SWAC regular season and JSU went undefeated in the SWAC. JSU lose one game and if they had played three regular season games JSU probably take 2 out of 3. That's bull shit and it doesn't matter how you slice it. If JSU doesn't get in than Southern doesn't deserve to get in.

Quaoarsking
05-25-2021, 03:04 PM
They were going 0-2 regardless

A worse Jackson State team than this year's won a game at the ULL regional we played in a few years ago

Johnson85
05-25-2021, 03:33 PM
I think it is bull shit. Southern went 13-11 in SWAC regular season and JSU went undefeated in the SWAC. JSU lose one game and if they had played three regular season games JSU probably take 2 out of 3. That's bull shit and it doesn't matter how you slice it. If JSU doesn't get in than Southern doesn't deserve to get in.

It's only bullshit that the tournament wasn't double elimination. How did Southern and JSU each lose one game in the SWAC tournament but Southern win the tournament?

If you don't give the tournament winner an automatic bid, then the tournament isn't going to mean anything, and they won't get to experience real tournament baseball that they can win. If Southern had had to beat JSU twice in the championship, then it would have been no different than the best team not making it out of a regional because they have a bad game. But having the tournament be double elimnation until the championship (which is what they have as far as I can tell from teh bracket) seems crazy.