PDA

View Full Version : Ladies in Regional Finals

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 01:16 PM
0-0 after 1 vs OK State. Have to win twice today to get to SR.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Correction up 1-0 after 1.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Down 2-1 now after a 2 run shot. Umps missed a double tap bunt at plate when it was obvious we throw the ball away trying to get the batter at first.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 01:45 PM
4-1 now...some questionable calls but OK St is an excellent team and our first 2 errors of the tournament hurt.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:02 PM
We get one back but lead off HR in Top of 3rd makes it 5-2...probably a good time to make a pitching change Sam. Can’t get much further behind.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Our defense is trash. Just embarrassing really. 3 errors in 4 innings.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:25 PM
Our defense is trash. Just embarrassing really. 3 errors in 4 innings.

Yeah, we have to get better defenders but a lot of it is mental and fundamental stuff that can be cleaned up. At times it looks like we just don’t work on it much. Fa looked like she didn’t know where she was going on that bunt. Should have kept the catch but just not clean play

I would have made a pitching change before the start of the 4th. They are swinging first pitch on just about anything close from Willis. She our best but this team is too good offensively to not throw everyone to get them off somehow.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2021, 02:25 PM
Just going to leave Willis out there to get run ruled. More poor coaching decisions.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:27 PM
Game over. Stayed with Willis with the meat of the order up and gives up the Grand Slam. 10-2

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:29 PM
Just going to leave Willis out there to get run ruled. More poor coaching decisions.

I just didn’t understand that. You couldn’t let them get past 5-6 runs. It could be enough for them and they possibly tag everybody we got but give yourself a chance for them to look at someone else for a couple of innings.

Now it wasn’t a meat pitch the girl hit but they have been all over Willis since the start

Cooterpoot
05-23-2021, 02:37 PM
With most everyone coming back, our hands are tied in recruiting now. Just not enough spots. We should've encouraged some to move on. Maybe some of those dead scholarships will be shown the door. We've got several.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Proud of the girls making a run late in the year and fighting to get into the tournament. Making the finals was as good as this roster was capable of I believed at the start of the year. We have to really really clean up our defense and get more athletic until we get / develop higher level pitchers. We have pitchers with partial high level stuff but no true girl you think can go 7 against just about anyone. I’m willing to give her some more time but we have been this level for the most part for a while now. Want to see us take that next step

Dawg2003
05-23-2021, 02:39 PM
I don't mean to disparage any of the young ladies, but I think one of the reasons our defense is poor is lack of conditioning. To me, lack of conditioning reflects on the program as a whole.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:40 PM
With most everyone coming back, our hands are tied in recruiting now. Just not enough spots. We should've encouraged some to move on.

Yeah, we do have the transfer from Auburn that will be eligible next year that has speed and athletic. Hopefully she can help out in the field.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 02:45 PM
I don't mean to disparage any of the young ladies, but I think one of the reasons our defense is poor is lack of conditioning. To me, lack of conditioning reflects on the program as a whole.

I think people confuse conditioning with body type. They are conditioned but we are recruiting nonstandard body types. We need to get better clay to mould. Hemphill is a big girl and player of the year but Bama doesn’t have 5 just like her in build and athletic ability in their lineup. Most teams have a few like this who usually bring a big bat, solid corner infield glove or catcher and arm. We just have too many like that who are average to below average bats and defenders.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Seeing all these new programs and nobodies taking off with the right coach means we need to win a regional next year. We return just about everyone. These coaches have been on staff a long time and recruited the players. I think we need to see improvement next year. Just my impatient opinion, but I feel like we're watching the same thing we've watched since Vann took the job.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Seeing all these new programs and nobodies taking off with the right coach means we need to win a regional next year. We return just about everyone. These coaches have been on staff a long time and recruited the players. I think we need to see improvement next year. Just my impatient opinion, but I feel like we're watching the same thing we've watched since Vann took the job.

I tend to agree. I really didn’t have a problem hiring Ricketts, if we were going the assistant route. Jen Rocha would have been in the assistant short list of calls if she was looking to head a program. But Sam Brings things to the table and Vann had peaked. But it’s time to see the floor of the program rise. OM was able to go out and get a HC from a P5 that was very successful leading a team to the World Series. I’m of the same thought at this point, it’s time to put the skins on the wall.

MetEdDawg
05-23-2021, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure who said we don't lose a lot but folks need to check again. Four of our Top 6 hitters in Fa Leilua, Carter Spexarth, Mia and Montana Davidson graduate. Annie Willis and Emily Williams both graduate as our starters and Loza graduates with the most relief innings.

This team loses quite a bit. But we did finish 8th last year in recruiting so hopefully that helps us continue to push forward. This team finished where it should have. Regional final. We weren't a Top 20 team but we had some experience and enough offense to be in games with good programs.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure who said we don't lose a lot but folks need to check again. Four of our Top 6 hitters in Fa Leilua, Carter Spexarth, Mia and Montana Davidson graduate. Annie Willis and Emily Williams both graduate as our starters and Loza graduates with the most relief innings.

This team loses quite a bit. But we did finish 8th last year in recruiting so hopefully that helps us continue to push forward. This team finished where it should have. Regional final. We weren't a Top 20 team but we had some experience and enough offense to be in games with good programs.

Fa, Quinn and Loza are the only seniors that have no eligibility left. I believe everyone else has another Covid year. Cooter, correct me if I am wrong.

Dawg2003
05-23-2021, 08:27 PM
I know that the Davidson sisters are returning. Not sure about Spexarth, but I don't think she went through senior day activities.

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Wow, OM Softball blew a 6-0 lead and really showing themselves to act like many of their douche counter parts on the men’s team. One player chirps and points bat at Ump on a close called strike, another get thrown out for arguing (it didn’t look as egregious as the other player but must have said something or it was a make up toss for the other player) while coach is arguing with Ump another playing leaving the base path on the inning change purposely bumped the Ump.