PDA

View Full Version : Nice bump in RPI this week

State82
05-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Up to 5 from 8 earlier in the week. And it is effectively 4 with the Fairfield outlier. Everything has finally fallen into place.

Saltydog
05-23-2021, 02:16 PM
We're likely to stay there IF Oregon States beats 'Zona again today. Plus, Arizona plays Dixie State (whoever in the hell that is) next weekend so their SOS is going to take a hit. Dixie State has a RPI of 230+......

State82
05-23-2021, 02:53 PM
We're likely to stay there IF Oregon States beats 'Zona again today. Plus, Arizona plays Dixie State (whoever in the hell that is) next weekend so their SOS is going to take a hit. Dixie State has a RPI of 230+......

Never even heard of "Dixie St". WTH!

msstate7
05-23-2021, 03:09 PM
Never even heard of "Dixie St". WTH!

How the heck have they held on to that name in today's environment?

Really Clark?
05-23-2021, 03:21 PM

It’s in Utah and originally founded by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not sure why but the people in Utah called that area the Dixie area and the locals embraced it. Later changing the name of the original school to Dixie Normal (started teaching a couple years of teacher college courses) or something like that then Dixie Junior College. All of that was in the early part of the 1900’s. Someone with better knowledge can expand but not sure it ever had anything to do with the confederacy? I guess it could since some did flee out west after the civil war.

BeardoMSU
05-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Its Winn-Dixie State**

Todd4State
05-23-2021, 03:35 PM
I have the same thought about Ole Miss.

BeardoMSU
05-23-2021, 03:44 PM
I have the same thought about Ole Miss.

A literal slave term. Not to mention their "university grey" uniforms.

msudawg1200
05-23-2021, 04:27 PM
It?s in Utah and originally founded by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not sure why but the people in Utah called that area the Dixie area and the locals embraced it. Later changing the name of the original school to Dixie Normal (started teaching a couple years of teacher college courses) or something like that then Dixie Junior College. All of that was in the early part of the 1900?s. Someone with better knowledge can expand but not sure it ever had anything to do with the confederacy? I guess it could since some did flee out west after the civil war.
It is located in St. George which is located in Southwest Utah. That area has a much milder climate than the rest of Utah, and when it was settled in the 1800's conducive for growing cotton, tobacco, and other sub tropical plants that grew only in the Southern United States. That combined with the fact that many of the settlers of the region came from the Southeast led to that part of Utah being nicknamed "Dixie". I'm surprised the cancel culture hasn't came after the name yet.

Saltydog
05-23-2021, 04:33 PM
Interesting........Rebs are prolly pissed someone stole another of their monikers......

Commercecomet24
05-23-2021, 06:25 PM
It is located in St. George which is located in Southwest Utah. That area has a much milder climate than the rest of Utah, and when it was settled in the 1800's conducive for growing cotton, tobacco, and other sub tropical plants that grew only in the Southern United States. That combined with the fact that many of the settlers of the region came from the Southeast led to that part of Utah being nicknamed "Dixie". I'm surprised the cancel culture hasn't came after the name yet.

Mild is an understatement lol. There's an old joke about St George. If the devil had a house in hell and a house in St George, he'd sell the one in St George and live in hell because it's cooler!

msstate7
05-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Its Winn-Dixie State**

Lol