PDA

View Full Version : OK so we got as good a start as we could hope at Bama game 1

R2Dawg
05-20-2021, 09:19 PM
Got the W, only used 2 pitchers. We got the whole staff left to get the next win and lock up the series. We won game 1 last week.

What do we gotta do to seal the deal tomorrow?

maroonmania
05-20-2021, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't say that. If we could have won game 1 without using Landon Sims that would have been the best we could have hoped for. Now we are basically in the same shape we were in last weekend after 1 game. We have 2 games to go and can probably only use Sims for an inning on Sunday if its worth it. Wouldn't be as big of a deal except that Sims is SO much better than any other bullpen arm we have.

OLJWales
05-20-2021, 09:26 PM
We Are Bad Muthas. NUFF SAID.

Rawdawg
05-20-2021, 09:55 PM
We used 4 pitchers and taxed our bullpen last Thursday

maroonmania
05-20-2021, 10:11 PM

Good point. We are in the same shape we were last weekend relative to Sims but certainly in much better shape as an overall staff.

Cooterpoot
05-20-2021, 10:54 PM
AL sucks. Bednar should handle them. It's all about whether we can hit. Our hitting is atrocious.

Jack Lambert
05-20-2021, 11:03 PM
Fielding mistakes cost us last weekend. They made several bad throws with two outs that kept inning going. That has to get in the pitchers head and he starts to make mistakes. We would have won Fridays game and possibly not used 4 pitchers on Thursday.

The Federalist Engineer
05-20-2021, 11:30 PM
Alabama is 12-16 for a reason

But tomorrow they throw a RHP Dylan Smith who is 1-6 but has very decent stats and very good outings to his credit. He lost 0-2 in a pitchers duel to Nikhazy for example.

Need the good hands team in the infield tomorrow to not give anything away.

Todd4State
05-21-2021, 12:23 AM
Fielding mistakes cost us last weekend. They made several bad throws with two outs that kept inning going. That has to get in the pitchers head and he starts to make mistakes. We would have won Fridays game and possibly not used 4 pitchers on Thursday.

Yeah. The best thing we can do is hide Kam James's glove from him right now.

MetEdDawg
05-21-2021, 05:15 AM
At this moment we have the 3rd highest SEC RPI. Arkansas, Vandy, and Tennessee are going to host a Super.

If we sweep Bama we absolutely host a Super Regional. Win 2/3 and it's going to depend on how Florida finishes against Arkansas. We need Arkansas to continue handling business against Florida and we need to keep handling ours.

basedog
05-21-2021, 06:50 AM
Yeah. The best thing we can do is hide Kam James's glove from him right now.

Maybe his bat as well. It's really sad watching him struggle, right now his confidence is shot. Maybe let him sit a game this weekend. Man Clark has one of the better swings in the order, he is a natural.

Coach34
05-21-2021, 07:14 AM
Since Sims is only pitching 1 time per weekend- it really doesnt matter when we use him. Last night was perfect. He shut the door and locked up Game 1. Now the rest of the staff has to do their jobs

chef dixon
05-21-2021, 07:18 AM
Exactly. Y'all bitched about not using him early in the season

msstate7
05-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Since Sims is only pitching 1 time per weekend- it really doesnt matter when we use him. Last night was perfect. He shut the door and locked up Game 1. Now the rest of the staff has to do their jobs

Why are we handling him with gloves so much? Using him 3-4 innings a week isn't gonna hurt him.

basedog
05-21-2021, 07:35 AM
Why are we handling him with gloves so much? Using him 3-4 innings a week isn't gonna hurt him.

We have lost 13 games, Sims has half of the saves, things are good overall, maybe we could have used him in one or two their times but we haven't needed him as much as many are stating or complaining.

We aren't a one trick pony.

Overall Foxhall has handled this staff good!

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2021, 07:54 AM
We're at the point in the season where it's probably time to take the kid gloves off Sims. If we have to go to him tonight for an inning to win the series then you do it. Lemonis always talks about how the most important game of the season is the next one and in this case it is. We need 7-8 out of Bednar and see where we are at that point. If we're up and can go to Preston and Brandon to get it done then do that, but if you have to go to Landon then an inning isn't going to suddenly melt his arm away. Heck, an inning for him might only be 10-12 pitches.

msstate7
05-21-2021, 07:58 AM
We're at the point in the season where it's probably time to take the kid gloves off Sims. If we have to go to him tonight for an inning to win the series then you do it. Lemonis always talks about how the most important game of the season is the next one and in this case it is. We need 7-8 out of Bednar and see where we are at that point. If we're up and can go to Preston and Brandon to get it done then do that, but if you have to go to Landon then an inning isn't going to suddenly melt his arm away. Heck, an inning for him might only be 10-12 pitches.

We should use him Saturday no matter what. Let em have today off. Then try him an inning in back-to-back days next week in sect

HoopsDawg
05-21-2021, 08:37 AM

We aren't going to use him today, but we should let him pitch an inning on Saturday if needed.

IngomarDawg
05-21-2021, 08:50 AM
I am just glad that we have brought Kellum Clark to the table. That kid is going to be a special Bulldog, and I am in favor of keep pushing him up the lineup as fast as possible....

msstate7
05-21-2021, 08:58 AM
We aren't going to use him today, but we should let him pitch an inning on Saturday if needed.

Pitch him Saturday regardless. We need to get him ready to pitch twice in a weekend. Hell, let em open Saturday.

NWADAWG
05-21-2021, 09:10 AM

I think the biggest impact it has on pitchers is turning 15 pitch innnings into 25 pitch innings. Throwing 100 pitches across 7 innings is less tiring than throwing 100 pitches across 3 or 4 innings. The mental fatigue or frustration just piles on top of that.

deltadawg99
05-21-2021, 09:25 AM
To me, the biggest question is who do we start on Sunday?

Bring Fristoe back out to see if the week off cleared his head?

Give EC another shot?

Harding is way better coming out of the pen so we don?t need to let him start again.

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2021, 09:28 AM
To me, the biggest question is who do we start on Sunday?

Bring Fristoe back out to see if the week off cleared his head?

Give EC another shot?

Harding is way better coming out of the pen so we don?t need to let him start again.

It's got to be Jackson. Let him get you 3-4 and then bring in Harding to hopefully get you another 3-4 and then I'd imagine we'd go Stinnett, Simmons, Sims to close it out.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 10:22 AM
Pitch him Saturday regardless. We need to get him ready to pitch twice in a weekend. Hell, let em open Saturday.

I agree with the sentiment. He has not had to "bounce back" all year and that concerns me. Arms are either conditioned to do that or they are not.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 10:24 AM
AL sucks. Bednar should handle them. It's all about whether we can hit. Our hitting is atrocious.

We were tied for third in the league in hitting coming into this weekend.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 10:27 AM
At this moment we have the 3rd highest SEC RPI. Arkansas, Vandy, and Tennessee are going to host a Super.

If we sweep Bama we absolutely host a Super Regional. Win 2/3 and it's going to depend on how Florida finishes against Arkansas. We need Arkansas to continue handling business against Florida and we need to keep handling ours.

I think Fl has to get 2 of 3 to even be in consideration for a top 8 going into Hoover.
Their rpi is 19 and strength of schedule is 28.

Cooterpoot
05-21-2021, 10:28 AM
We were tied for third in the league in hitting coming into this weekend.

Batting average is a damn near useless stat. Run production and hitting are at 5th in the league. Slugging is at 8th. 11th in HRs is pathetic. 8th in total bases is bad. Take Tanner Allen out and we really look bad.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Batting average is a damn near useless stat. Run production and hitting are at 5th in the league. Slugging is at 8th. 11th in HRs is pathetic. 8th in total bases is bad. Take Tanner Allen out and we really look bad.

I thought by "our hitting is atrocious," you just meant average and not total offense. But in any event,
We are tied for fourth in average.
And if we are looking at all offensive stats, obviously the most important is runs. Fifth there, which is not atrocious.

Fourth in average
Fifth in on base, runs, rbi, and doubles
Sixth in hits and triples
Eighth in slugging
Eleventh in HR

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2021, 12:00 PM
I thought by "our hitting is atrocious," you just meant average and not total offense. But in any event,
We are tied for fourth in average.
And if we are looking at all offensive stats, obviously the most important is runs. Fifth there, which is not atrocious.

Fourth in average
Fifth in on base, runs, rbi, and doubles
Sixth in hits and triples
Eighth in slugging
Eleventh in HR

Our hitting is atrocious once you get past Rowdey and TA. Thankfully Kellum has given us some good swings the last 4-5 games so that 3-9 isn't a complete black hole of offense. I'll be honest, if I'm playing us in the postseason I'd seriously consider not throwing those two anything near the plate and taking my chances with the rest of the lineup.

basedog
05-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Why should anyone think about "forgetting Allen/Rowdy", it is what it is! Ridiculous to say or even think we don't have "so and so".

Never understood folks thinking like that.

Homedawg
05-21-2021, 12:33 PM
Why should anyone think about "forgetting Allen/Rowdy", it is what it is! Ridiculous to say or even think we don't have "so and so".

Correct. Take Kenton off the Lakers or cavs or heat and they suck. So that take us bad.

DownwardDawg
05-21-2021, 01:22 PM

People love to do that. If my big buck I killed in 2019 wouldn't have come out until 5 minutes later, I would have never killed him. I guess I lucked into it.

R2Dawg
05-21-2021, 01:22 PM

OK, I should have clarified. Same shape as last weekend was we won game 1 and headed into game 2 expecting to win the series and then collapsed. Wasn't talking about bull pen or any details.

What do we have to do to not collapse after getting first win of the weekend after last weekend?

Anyone?

R2Dawg
05-21-2021, 01:23 PM

Yeah, we can play the ifs and buts game all day. That is dumb. Fact is we do have Rowdey, TA and Sims.

basedog
05-21-2021, 01:24 PM
People love to do that. If my big buck I killed in 2019 wouldn't have come out until 5 minutes later, I would have never killed him. I guess I lucked into it.

LOL, been there done that! I hate the "only if" and I hate the word "potential".

deltadawg63
05-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Correct. Take Kenton off the Lakers or cavs or heat and they suck. So that take us bad.

First, we have known from preseason that consistent batting top to bottom was going to be a challenge for us with opportunistic but not threatening power. We were not predicted to be batting champs this year in any way.
Second, we must have more pitching consistency from starters and from middle relief than we've had lately. This was thought to be our strength entering season and must re-find that.
Third, when one knows they're not likely going to score high run numbers, fielding must match pitching and this must improve. Keep Leggett at 3rd and Forsythe at SS and accept their bat low in order to minimize his AB's. Typically, pitching and defense for most teams, especially tourney teams gets better and runs fewer later in season. We must practice to improve infielding defense. DH Tanner for leg rest and move Hancock to C for Saturday and maybe first tourney game. Keep Clark in LF against RHP and Cumbest against LHP. Only use Hatcher and Skinner in last 2 innings if we are leading close.

Enough said but remember who we are and we who we aren't!!! Too late in season to make us who we aren't and its not reps and opportunities now...they've had time to prove themselves...We are who we are! Play to our strengths and do those extremely well.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 01:32 PM
OK, I should have clarified. Same shape as last weekend was we won game 1 and headed into game 2 expecting to win the series and then collapsed. Wasn't talking about bull pen or any details.

What do we have to do to not collapse after getting first win of the weekend after last weekend?

Anyone?

Don't walk people and play clean.

Last week we didn't have smith or Johnson available in game 2. Bednar gave us 5 solid and left with the lead but then tullar and stinnet couldn't locate and we booted 2 balls. Tonight we will have smith and Johnson to follow Bednar.

confucius say
05-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Our hitting is atrocious once you get past Rowdey and TA. Thankfully Kellum has given us some good swings the last 4-5 games so that 3-9 isn't a complete black hole of offense. I'll be honest, if I'm playing us in the postseason I'd seriously consider not throwing those two anything near the plate and taking my chances with the rest of the lineup.

Most teams will see their offense suffer tremendously if you remove the best two hitters.

By the way, TA is hitting .390 and the next closest person in the league is .370. Batting champ.

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2021, 02:10 PM
Most teams will see their offense suffer tremendously if you remove the best two hitters.

By the way, TA is hitting .390 and the next closest person in the league is .370. Batting champ.

That's correct. The problem is that our two best hitters hit back to back in the lineup. Spreading them out would help if anyone else could hit. I know everybody and their brother have done lineups over the last few days so here's how I would bat us:

1. Rowdey
2. Dubrule
3. Clark
4. TA
5. LoTan
6. Hancock
7. Leggett
8. Kam
9. Forsythe

confucius say
05-21-2021, 02:15 PM
That's correct. The problem is that our two best hitters hit back to back in the lineup. Spreading them out would help if anyone else could hit. I know everybody and their brother have done lineups over the last few days so here's how I would bat us:

1. Rowdey
2. Dubrule
3. Clark
4. TA
5. LoTan
6. Hancock
7. Leggett
8. Kam
9. Forsythe

Flip side of that is batting them 1-2 get them the most at bats on the team

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2021, 02:23 PM
Flip side of that is batting them 1-2 get them the most at bats on the team

No doubt. It's a double edged sword which is probably why we'll keep it how it is for now.

Really Clark?
05-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Our hitting is not atrocious for what it is and who we are having to play. Our 3 hole hitter coming into season, 0 SEC AB’s, 4 hole hitter had 27 SEC AB’s, our 5 hole hitter 0 SEC AB’s, etc. One of our most experienced bats was pencilled in to be at the top of the order but he went Ankiel at the plate and is now a defensive sub. We had to push Forsythe up a year early knowing he would struggle at the plate.

We knew coming into the season offense was going to be limited and once the bullets starting flying we found bigger problems than anticipated. Hatcher out, Forsythe struggling as a Freshman, James is now slumping, Hancock gives great AB’s but he is much better suited as a 5, 6 hole guy, Logan I think has progressed pretty well, Brad has had a nice year and Clark is getting opportunity’s because he has a good swing.

All that said, we are limited and inexperienced as we knew we would be but also had more issues pop up than originally thought which created more issues. All things considered, we are not a good offense but I wouldn’t call it atrocious considering the make up of the roster. And we at least dont K a lot.