PDA

View Full Version : Sims

Cowbell
05-17-2021, 07:34 PM
I know enough people to know there is more to the story with him. Is it injury/soreness or is there something else going on here? I've never seen anything like it and don't understand it,

Coach34
05-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Foxhall's pitch to parents is that we arent going to overpitch their son's and they will be ready for pro ball when they leave State. If you notice- it's rare we ever pitch a RP on B2B days. If they hit a certain pitch count on Friday- they are done for the weekend. So Sims pitching on a Saturday pretty much burns him for the weekend

It's our philosophy now at State

Harrydawg
05-17-2021, 07:40 PM
So are you insinuating that Sims is injured or playing hurt? And that?s why he is not seeing many closes? Seriously? Am I reading this correctly

MaroonFlounder
05-17-2021, 07:46 PM
Sims is not hurt.

He is going to make a lot of money with that right arm. We are not going to overwork an arm as valuable as Sims.

He is not a starter.

If he has to go more than 1 inning and/or 25 pitches, don't expect to see him again.

If that philosophy keeps us from winning a championship, that's just the way it is. It's on Lem and Fox to get someone good enough to bear the extra burden.

Coach34
05-17-2021, 07:51 PM
We certainly make sure to go out of our way to be the anti-Bunko, anti-Bertman's of the SEC

HoopsDawg
05-17-2021, 07:54 PM
We certainly make sure to go out of our way to be the anti-Bunko, anti-Bertman's of the SEC

I love the way we protect arms. However, 24 pitches on Thursday, you are fine to pitch on Saturday. Even Dr. Andrews says so.

Coach34
05-17-2021, 07:57 PM
I love the way we protect arms. However, 24 pitches on Thursday, you are fine to pitch on Saturday. Even Dr. Andrews says so.

agree completely

Harrydawg
05-17-2021, 08:11 PM
Yes and we would have had we had a lead or in later innings. And I am sure we would have put him IF we?d known.....but he is a closer

MaroonFlounder
05-17-2021, 08:27 PM
We pitched Preston Johnson twice and he was highly ineffective the 2nd time.

You guys would lose it if Sims was even slightly less effective if given a 2nd outing in a weekend, or God forbid, blew a save.

Really Clark?
05-17-2021, 08:28 PM
Yes and we would have had we had a lead or in later innings. And I am sure we would have put him IF we?d known.....but he is a closer

Sims is more versatile than just a closer. He went 4 innings long relief vs TX in the first game and 3 2/3 long relief for EC vs Tulane. I love using him as a closer but it really shouldn’t be just once per weekend and he is plenty versatile enough to pitch in different situations.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2021, 08:52 PM
Sims is more versatile than just a closer. He went 4 innings long relief vs TX in the first game and 3 2/3 long relief for EC vs Tulane. I love using him as a closer but it really shouldn’t be just once per weekend and he is plenty versatile enough to pitch in different situations.

As long as we use him correctly in the post season, then it's all good.

MetEdDawg
05-17-2021, 09:03 PM
I think this year would look a lot different in terms of usage had last year been a normal year.

I think we are being extra precautious because of how little real game work these guys got last year and how little interaction they were able to have with staff compared to normal. You are starting to see some injuries pop up around the league.

We've got a pretty young/inexperienced staff across the board. They had not logged a lot of SEC innings prior to this season. It sucks in the here and now, but when you are talking about the lives of a bunch of 19-22 year olds, I would rather play it safe.

Now that being said, I think Sims would absolutely pitch on a Sunday in a save situation if he pitched one or two innings on a Friday. But we really haven't had those opportunities. You don't pitch him in a tight spot in the 4th. He's our closer.

Cowbell
05-17-2021, 09:11 PM
So are you insinuating that Sims is injured or playing hurt? And that?s why he is not seeing many closes? Seriously? Am I reading this correctly

I have heard there is more to the story with him but didn't know what. Multiple people. I only asked if he was hurt or sore. No insinuating.

Cowbell
05-17-2021, 09:12 PM
As long as we use him correctly in the post season, then it's all good.

It's already negatively affecting our postseason

The Federalist Engineer
05-17-2021, 09:22 PM
I know enough people to know there is more to the story with him. Is it injury/soreness or is there something else going on here? I've never seen anything like it and don't understand it,

He’s not hurt. This is our style for using relievers.

We really should not be demanding more appearances from Sims. We should wondering why nobody else is consistently good. Our three 1st round picks are looking nothing like Eric Dubose, Chris Stratton, Ethan Small, Paul Maholm, or BJ Wallace. True Aces. They are only occasionally good.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2021, 10:02 PM

Absolutely 100%.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Sims is more versatile than just a closer. He went 4 innings long relief vs TX in the first game and 3 2/3 long relief for EC vs Tulane. I love using him as a closer but it really shouldn?t be just once per weekend and he is plenty versatile enough to pitch in different situations.

This. And Pitching sims only once a weekend is a waste, IMO.

Captain Falcon
05-17-2021, 11:10 PM
It’s very similar to how we used Cole Gordon in the regular season in 2019, go look at Cole’s appearances from that year. And then we used Cole in pretty much every game once we got to the postseason.

I’m hoping our usage of Landon is about to go up. Good news is he should be plenty fresh. He’s the kind of pitcher that you have to use 2-3 times in a Regional and Super Regional and then in pretty much every game if you can get to Omaha.

TNDawg35
05-18-2021, 12:07 AM
The gloves will come off on Sims come regional/Super regionals. He pretty much “told” Lemonis and Foxhall he was pitching the last game against OM. He is a gamer and will be used more come post season play.

No he is not hurt, no arm soreness, no hangover, no nothing. Just making sure he is healthy come post season.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-18-2021, 12:59 AM

The only vote that counts is his parents.

Cowbell
05-18-2021, 07:36 AM
The gloves will come off on Sims come regional/Super regionals. He pretty much ?told? Lemonis and Foxhall he was pitching the last game against OM. He is a gamer and will be used more come post season play.

No he is not hurt, no arm soreness, no hangover, no nothing. Just making sure he is healthy come post season.

This is good to know

StarkVegasSteve
05-18-2021, 08:15 AM
Should we have seen Sims when it was 10-8 on Saturday? Probably, but holding Landon will have it's advantages if we can make a deep postseason run because it's given us a chance to see who are the arms that could bridge us to Landon. We've been able to see what we have in guys like Stone Simmons, Preston Johnson, Parker Stinnett, Cam Tullar, and Brandon Smith. Now some will say that they can get their innings in during the midweek and will be fine, but pitching against Northcentral Southeastern Tech on a Tuesday isn't the same stress as pitching against Ole Miss on a Friday.

Take Kopps at Arky for example, everytime they get in even a little trouble they run him out there. What happens if they get into the Supers and run him out in the 5th in Game 1 and he throws 60 pitches and they get beat? They're only other option is A) Risk it all and run him back out the next day or B) Try to play gorilla ball. Because while our starters do have some less than impressive starts under their belts, I'd take our starting rotation over theirs any day of the week.

KOdawg1
05-18-2021, 08:23 AM
Using Sims once a weekend is like bringing a gun to a sword fight and only firing it once. It's better than nothing, but it doesn't guarantee you win the fight.

Saltydog
05-18-2021, 08:29 AM
Actually he wasn't effective on Saturday. His stint was short. Left runners on base.

Johnson85
05-18-2021, 08:42 AM
Sims is more versatile than just a closer. He went 4 innings long relief vs TX in the first game and 3 2/3 long relief for EC vs Tulane. I love using him as a closer but it really shouldn?t be just once per weekend and he is plenty versatile enough to pitch in different situations.

If we're going to view 20 pitches as burning him for the series, even if it's the first day of a three day series, then we should view him less as a closer and more as a fireman. If we have a lead on Friday, we should be willing to bring him in anytime after the start of the fifth inning. No sense in going to a middle reliever and bringing him in the 8th if we're going to view that as burning him for the series too. I would assume it would be better for him long term to get more than two innings a weekend as he's not really conditioning his body to throw much in a game. I know he's working out and throwing outside of games, but I have to think it's hard to really replicate throwing 4 innings in a game, especially when you also have to stay fresh in case you're needed.

Saltydog
05-18-2021, 08:59 AM
If our "elite" bullpen can't hold Missouri and we have to use Sims every game then we've got bigger problems to deal with, and we do.

The Federalist Engineer
05-18-2021, 11:00 AM
If our "elite" bullpen can't hold Missouri and we have to use Sims every game then we've got bigger problems to deal with, and we do.

This, all day long.

Remember when we had 3 guys as potential 1st round picks (Sims not on that list)? How come they can’t win a Missouri series?

StarkVegasSteve
05-18-2021, 11:11 AM

I actually don't think our bullpen pitched bad outside of Saturday, now that was an unmitigated disaster. I thought they made some bad pitches here and there, but our fielding caused way more problems than the bullpen did this weekend.