PDA

View Full Version : How the hell does olemiss have

AlSwearengen
05-16-2021, 07:28 PM
2 true freshmen hitting 350 or better with respectable power numbers? We signed the lead off guy?s brother, who is supposed to be better, but watch. He will go pro.

Say what you will about their mental toughness at the end of the year but they have figured out how to amass plenty of talent.

I hope that some coaching stability equates to us reeling in the type of recruits that show up and hit 350 as freshmen.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-16-2021, 08:00 PM
Ole Miss does a pretty good job of getting their signees to come to Oxford...

Saltydog
05-17-2021, 08:18 AM
The way they hit, they've got a better chance of getting to Omaha this year than we do. Even with subpar pitching they've been able to hit their way out of some slugfests.

deltadawg63
05-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Let's be honest, they have had more success getting batting talent to campus that us. Not so much on pitching depth. They do regularly sign a national level pitcher or 2, just not an many for depth. I still believe we have a scholarship problem as in too little dollars offered. Does OM still use their "LuckyDay Scholarship" fund for in state baseball players and only use baseball scholly allotment on top level national players? Facilities and program success are great and all but at the end of the day, national level recruits want the top dollars in order to be out of pocket the least amount.

Cooterpoot
05-17-2021, 11:09 AM
State has LuckyDay money now too. We haven't recruited well enough.

Ari Gold
05-17-2021, 11:56 AM
I get it they beat Vandy 2 of 3
And yes they can hit

But they also lost 2 of 3 to AM
And only won 4 series

Rayburn8
05-17-2021, 12:43 PM
Remember Baseball recruiting is done 2-4 years ahead, this year is the year our talent should have taken a rutt because these are the classes that had all the Cohen-Cannizaro-Henderson change going on. So it makes sense this last class was relatively down.

Saltydog
05-17-2021, 12:56 PM
I don't buy all that 2-4 year stuff. I get that baseball recruiting is different but they don't sign 2-4 years in advance. There's still adequate time to get in on a guy or two.

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2021, 01:05 PM
I don't buy all that 2-4 year stuff. I get that baseball recruiting is different but they don't sign 2-4 years in advance. There's still adequate time to get in on a guy or two.

They aren't signed that far ahead - but that is the timeframe where a lot of important recruiting takes place. So yeah - 4 coaches in 21 months disrupted that, and we are seeing that impact currently.

Cooterpoot
05-17-2021, 01:09 PM
That 2-4 year stuff is BS. Either you can recruit or you can't. And we're benefiting from the short draft too. We haven't gotten enough talent on campus. I do think James is going to be a great hitter, so is Clark and Logan Tanner. Hancock is solid. After that, not a lot going on. Maybe if Mule would just focus on baseball, he could be very good.

Ari Gold
05-17-2021, 03:51 PM
That 2-4 year stuff is BS. Either you can recruit or you can't. And we're benefiting from the short draft too. We haven't gotten enough talent on campus. I do think James is going to be a great hitter, so is Clark and Logan Tanner. Hancock is solid. After that, not a lot going on. Maybe if Mule would just focus on baseball, he could be very good.

Cumbest wont ever be a SEC player.
We are bringing in a lot of really nice hitters with this class if we don’t lose them to the pros.

And agree the biggest negative so far with Lemonis to me is where are the 2020 freshman ?? Draft was only 5 rounds. We should have 3-4 big time freshman contributing offensively.. Clark and Forsyth are it.
Not sure what happened but we basically had a freebie year with high school kids and we failed miserably to sign a really big time class.

And with McDonald if that kid can’t crack this starting lineup in left field is he going to ever be a SEC caliber player.??

State82
05-17-2021, 06:27 PM
That 2-4 year stuff is BS. Either you can recruit or you can't.

And if you cannot entice top talent to the Taj Mahal of collegiate baseball then you just cannot recruit. It does not get any easier unless you are dropping full schollies on guys. But, Vandy cannot sign them all.

Todd4State
05-17-2021, 07:09 PM
We need to do a better job of finding players that are less singable for MLB. That's where we miss Cann.

Homedawg
05-17-2021, 09:40 PM
We need to do a better job of finding players that are less singable for MLB. That's where we miss Cann.

You do realize goat has a way better connection to scouts/ mlb than cann right?? His connection to boras and he played their. His connections are beyond anyone's. With that said you don't have to have either to be successful. Lots of it is luck. Ole miss got their mccants in and we probably won't. You need to sign some good players that won't sign. Need to sign some elite that probably will. Heck we need woods to sign. He isn't ready for d1 baseball and he's gonna ride the pine if he comes here and the board will melt. He's a pro guy. Go play and hope in 5 years your tools get you somewhere.

smootness
05-18-2021, 11:43 AM

If we haven't gotten enough talent to campus, then our coaches are easily the best in the country at actually coaching.

People are freaking out about one weekend. This is a really, really good team, and this is still arguably the most consistently great our program has ever been. Cheer up.

msstate7
05-18-2021, 11:47 AM
If we haven't gotten enough talent to campus, then our coaches are easily the best in the country at actually coaching.

People are freaking out about one weekend. This is a really, really good team, and this is still arguably the most consistently great our program has ever been. Cheer up.

I'm certainly not above a freak out, but wanting to burn it down over 1 weekend when we're still close to a national seed is a bit much for even me.

BrunswickDawg
05-18-2021, 12:14 PM

^^^^^ All day long. At a minimum, we are going to our 5th straight postseason, possibly our 5th straight Super(which we have never done before), possibly our 3rd straight CWS (which we have never done before), and our 4th CWS in a 10 year period (which we've also never done before). Reading this board a lot of days, you would think it was 2010 and we were on our 3rd losing season in a row.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2021, 12:28 PM
^^^^^ All day long. At a minimum, we are going to our 5th straight postseason, possibly our 5th straight Super(which we have never done before), possibly our 3rd straight CWS (which we have never done before), and our 4th CWS in a 10 year period (which we've also never done before). Reading this board a lot of days, you would think it was 2010 and we were on our 3rd losing season in a row.

I think a lot has to do with losing to a horrible Mizzou team. That might be one of the worst overall SEC teams in over a decade. They haven't won very many out of conference games either.

msstate7
05-18-2021, 12:31 PM
I think a lot has to do with losing to a horrible Mizzou team. That might be one of the worst overall SEC teams in over a decade. They haven't won very many out of conference games either.

If we dropped 1 less to them and 1 between aTm and auburn, we'd be in the exact same spot. No one would be freaking out though

smootness
05-18-2021, 01:05 PM

Great. If we were one SEC weekend in, it all might be worth it. But we're 17-10 in the SEC, including the Missouri series. Why are we pretending the Missouri series defines us?

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2021, 01:59 PM
Great. If we were one SEC weekend in, it all might be worth it. But we're 17-10 in the SEC, including the Missouri series. Why are we pretending the Missouri series defines us?

I am not saying it does but just like everything else in life, it is always what have you done lately. Even NCAA seeding takes it into consideration. Losing to Mizzou the first weekend and then winning every series in the back half is a different. I just hope it is a wake up call because not respecting your opponent is how Ole Miss gets bounced every year in their Regional.

MedDawg
05-18-2021, 02:02 PM

I read somewhere that State is the only team in the NCAA to make the last four Super Regionals.

The Federalist Engineer
05-18-2021, 07:02 PM

It is absolutely 2-4 years in advance if you want to be Elite. There is an LSU video that discusses how they have a 4 year Roster Plan, I'll never find that video, Florida has the same horizon. If you wait for HS Juniors and Seniors to sign players, you will be co-recruiting with JCs and SoCon Teams (Samford).

We have good players, co'mon now. OM has those great freshmen but they also have gaps too. They filled those gaps with the chubby JC players like Van Cleeve and another chubby kid.

Before game-3 of the South Carolina series, we felt like a top-3 team.

Then the early celebration started and Nemesis struck the program. Additionally, Lemonis put James back at 3B.

If this team really does have a Groupie and Discipline problem, then hitting the road for regionals is a great thing for us. I hope we get swept by Alabama. Lets go to South Bend for a regional. Horrible location with no fans. South Bend will be nothing but lawn mowers and barking dogs as the atmosphere. No groupies, the locals will think we are an overgrown little league team and even deny the boys alcohol at restaurants.

We should start Cerantola, Cade Smith, and Tullar versus Alabama to see what the heck happens.

Percho
05-18-2021, 07:49 PM
It is absolutely 2-4 years in advance if you want to be Elite. There is an LSU video that discusses how they have a 4 year Roster Plan, I'll never find that video, Florida has the same horizon. If you wait for HS Juniors and Seniors to sign players, you will be co-recruiting with JCs and SoCon Teams (Samford).

We have good players, co'mon now. OM has those great freshmen but they also have gaps too. They filled those gaps with the chubby JC players like Van Cleeve and another chubby kid.

Then the early celebration started and Nemesis struck the program. Additionally, Lemonis put James back at 3B.

If this team really does have a Groupie and Discipline problem, then hitting the road for regionals is a great thing for us. I hope we get swept by Alabama. Lets go to South Bend for a regional. Horrible location with no fans. South Bend will be nothing but lawn mowers and barking dogs as the atmosphere. No groupies, the locals will think we are an overgrown little league team and even deny the boys alcohol at restaurants.

We should start Cerantola, Cade Smith, and Tullar versus Alabama to see what the heck happens.

One of the better all time post. Kudo's

Homedawg
05-18-2021, 08:12 PM

Your point about recruiting is spot on. Can't wait. Have to move. Also some adjustments have to be made as you go. And we do. Lemonis' recruiting isn't here yet for the most part. Some pieces. But not even half of this team. Or at least the ones who play.

Todd4State
05-18-2021, 10:50 PM
You do realize goat has a way better connection to scouts/ mlb than cann right?? His connection to boras and he played their. His connections are beyond anyone's. With that said you don't have to have either to be successful. Lots of it is luck. Ole miss got their mccants in and we probably won't. You need to sign some good players that won't sign. Need to sign some elite that probably will. Heck we need woods to sign. He isn't ready for d1 baseball and he's gonna ride the pine if he comes here and the board will melt. He's a pro guy. Go play and hope in 5 years your tools get you somewhere.

Well he needs to step it up because I haven't been impressed with our record of losing prospects to the draft since he has gotten here. I don't if Boras is really better than the Yankees scouting director.

Saltydog
05-19-2021, 11:23 AM
You better pull the reigns back just a bit. We haven't made it past the regionals yet and we are by NO means a lock for the CWS.

OLJWales
05-19-2021, 12:49 PM

This.

OLJWales
05-19-2021, 12:52 PM
I read somewhere that State is the only team in the NCAA to make the last four Super Regionals.

Damn. Dat Skrong.