PDA

View Full Version : The one bright spot about this series

klong-dog
05-16-2021, 08:46 AM
We all can at least temper our expectations heading into post season. If Mizzou can beat us like a drum, I think most everyone in a regional can as well. We're not all that great. Probably have over-achieved for the season as a whole. But outside of our 1 & 2 hole and Sims in the BP and Bednar 2/3 starts, we're nothing special anywhere else.

msstate7
05-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Like most every year, I expect a SR. If we make it past that, awesome.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 10:14 AM
I'd say Kellum Clark was a bright spot. Maybe even Cerentola.

maroonmania
05-16-2021, 10:19 AM
I have watched this team enough all year to know to keep my expectations tempered. Yes, we could potentially make Omaha if we have a lot of things come together but I could just as easily see us losing in a regional. Our offense is spotty and we routinely kick the ball around the infield. And yes, our pitching is still good overall but not dominant like we thought it might be. That is really not a recipe for a national championship team but in baseball pretty much anything can happen over a 3 to 4 week period in postseason.

HoopsDawg
05-16-2021, 10:24 AM
6 guys for 4 spots. Clark, Cumbest, Forsythe, Leggett, Skinner, and Kam James

LF, 3B, SS, and DH. Who you got?

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure you don't move Kam back to SS. Forsythe hasn't been much better and his bat is subpar. Leggett at 3B, Mule in LF, Clark DH.
There's just no answer that fixes everything.

HoopsDawg
05-16-2021, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure you don't move Kam back to SS. Forsythe hasn't been much better and his bat is subpar. Leggett at 3B, Mule in LF, Clark DH.

Yes, there are going to be issues no matter the decision. I think you have to go with Cumbest in LF and Clark at DH. Kam's bat still needs to be in the lineup so I would put him at 3B. Then the decision is either Leggett or Forsythe at SS. I guess Forsythe.

Then you can bring in Leggett and Skinner late in the game as defensive replacements or maybe use Skinner as pinch runner late in the game.

MoreCowbell
05-16-2021, 11:39 AM
I agree. I thought even before Mizzou we were very fortunate to have the record/rpi/rankings we had because I don?t think we are that elite. Where we are elite though is the mental aspect and our guys grind, it is why our record is one of the best. I expect we bounce back from this weekend though. We laid a turd, it happens.

basedog
05-16-2021, 12:26 PM

Skinner needs to be destined runner and late inning replacement in Left. Clark needs to play, move James down the order and everyone up a notch or two. Forsythe is young, we just have to live with him at SS, gotta play Leggett at third. James is by far the worse infielder. Man it's sad seeing him struggling, I'm sure it's all new to him and he like a few others have to figure it out quickly.

This defense is maybe the worse I have watched at Msu. But we can be pretty good and when we get say 5 good innings from our starters we are dangerous. Nothing wrong with over-achieving, it what we are and if you are offended so be it. We have talent but not deep talent.

basedog
05-16-2021, 12:28 PM

No way Kam moves to SS. He needs to learn to play in the outfield, has good speed and arm. Would take the pressure off him and maybe playing the field would make him better at the plate.

Coach34
05-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Yeah James problem is between the ears. It’s not lack of talent. But I think he’s destined for 1B or the outfield myself. He just look like he will ever be consistent enough to play left side infield

Tbonewannabe
05-16-2021, 01:12 PM

Forsyth makes errors on balls that no one else would have a chance on.

R2Dawg
05-16-2021, 01:15 PM

Tough question and that probably is The question right now and really all year that we still have not figured out. Forsythe and Legget for their D, not big behind the plate. We are building for the future with these two. They are already good on D and will improve at the plate or should.

Skinner no he hasn't brought a lot in either area although his D has been OK. Cumbest has hit well at times, still not sure about him in outfield.

I still haven't seen enough of Clark either way to be bullish on him yet. He shows potential at the plate.

Kam is the mystery of this bunch. His production at the plate is solid in total numbers but it just feels like he is really lost at the plate. Can he play outfield? If so then maybe he edges out someone if not then maybe he DH?

It would be down to Clark, Cumbest and James for the last spot. Have to trust coaches because I haven't seen enough of what they could do in outfield. I might give the edge to Clark building for the future.

R2Dawg
05-16-2021, 01:19 PM
I agree. I thought even before Mizzou we were very fortunate to have the record/rpi/rankings we had because I don?t think we are that elite. Where we are elite though is the mental aspect and our guys grind, it is why our record is one of the best. I expect we bounce back from this weekend though. We laid a turd, it happens.

I think we can bounce back too. We were coming of the fatigue of being on a long road tour in SC too. Young kids just seemed mentally spent. Give them some downtime and prepare for Bama. Win series and begin preparing for the post season and not SECT. Play starters enough to keep in practice in SECT but get bullpen plenty of reps and young players. All about regional after Bama.

Coach34
05-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Forsythe's only real problem is that he is a freshman. Without a doubt he is the future at SS

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Those wouldn't be errors....by the way, Forsythe only has one less error than James, who was leading the SEC. You can't put both on the field. You just can't. But you can't pull Clark off DH.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 03:20 PM
I think we can bounce back too. We were coming of the fatigue of being on a long road tour in SC too. Young kids just seemed mentally spent. Give them some downtime and prepare for Bama. Win series and begin preparing for the post season and not SECT. Play starters enough to keep in practice in SECT but get bullpen plenty of reps and young players. All about regional after Bama.

They had extra downtown this week.

Really Clark?
05-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Rowdy CF
TA RF
Logan Tanner C
Hancock 1st
James DH
DeBrule 2nd
Cumbest LF
Leggett 3rd
Forsythe SS

Coach should have stayed with this formula after 5 straight wins and avg 7.75 runs per SEC game with 4 of those 5 wins. We have looked and smelled like hot dog crap since he changed things up for last Sunday. We have holes, we will have holes and do not have the players to fix our issues. But that is about as good of defensive / offensive lineup we can do at this point. The only change right now is flipping Logan and James in the lineup from what was the A & M and USCe series lineups. Find some ways for Clark to get AB’s as PH...midweek starter.

Todd4State
05-16-2021, 04:17 PM
Rowdy CF
TA RF
Logan Tanner C
Hancock 1st
James DH
DeBrule 2nd
Cumbest LF
Leggett 3rd
Forsythe SS

Coach should have stayed with this formula after 5 straight wins and avg 7.75 runs per SEC game with 4 of those 5 wins. We have looked and smelled like hot dog crap since he changed things up for last Sunday. We have holes, we will have holes and do not have the players to fix our issues. But that is about as good of defensive / offensive lineup we can do at this point. The only change right now is flipping Logan and James in the lineup from what was the A & M and USCe series lineups. Find some ways for Clark to get AB’s as PH...midweek starter.

Right now I would probably play Clark over James at DH in that lineup. Obviously that wouldn't affect us defensively. I still want to see Clark at first base and then DH Hancock to see if that improves us defensively.

Overall I agree that he shouldn't have tinkered with the lineup too much.

HoopsDawg
05-16-2021, 04:26 PM
Right now I would probably play Clark over James at DH in that lineup. Obviously that wouldn't affect us defensively. I still want to see Clark at first base and then DH Hancock to see if that improves us defensively.

Too bad Kellum can't play 3B like he was billed to be able to do. At least I'm assuming he can't play 3B.

HoopsDawg
05-16-2021, 04:27 PM
Those wouldn't be errors....by the way, Forsythe only has one less error than James, who was leading the SEC. You can't put both on the field. You just can't. But you can't pull Clark off DH.

Are we sure Leggett can't play SS as good as Forsythe?

Really Clark?
05-16-2021, 04:35 PM

I?ve looked at a bunch of combos and I while there is apart of me that would like to see Clark at first, the bigger issues with that is that is does nothing to help our biggest weakness on defense, which is the left side. So if try to correct that as well, then I have to leave Hancock or James out of the line up completely and that drops our projected production more than we can afford right now. If we somehow knew Clark was going to hit .300 from here on out...but he looks a lot more like .240-250. There are no good solves. That lineup just looks like our best combo today

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Are we sure Leggett can't play SS as good as Forsythe?

I'm not sure of anything in this puzzle except there's no way to fix every problem. It's like watching some of the teams under Polk where guys could hit but not field or vice versa. We just lack what we need and that's a complete team. We basically need a couple guys to get hot at the plate to at least level things out and give us a shot. Need better middle relief pitching too.

Coach34
05-16-2021, 06:04 PM
by the way, Forsythe only has one less error than James, who was leading the SEC. You can't put both on the field. You just can't. But you can't pull Clark off DH.

Forsythe has started 39 games at SS with 82 assists and 40 PO's- while James has 57 and 27. Forsythe has fewer errors in many more chances. James should be done at 3B.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 06:51 PM
Forsythe has started 39 games at SS with 82 assists and 40 PO's- while James has 57 and 27. Forsythe has fewer errors in many more chances. James should be done at 3B.

Not if he can't hit. And he's not hitting currently. Clark is hitting and looks good doing it. He was expected to play this year but got sick. James isnt coming out completely. Not happening. Forsythe still isn't good and can't hit worth a flip. A little better defensively but a lot worse offensively. I want hitters in the lineup because the defense isn't going to be good regardless. It's bad when we lead the world in Ks but are so terrible fielding. 27 outs and half are K's. We can't even get outs fielding only half the outs.
But there's just no good answer.

Coach34
05-16-2021, 08:19 PM
It's bad when we lead the world in Ks but are so terrible fielding. 27 outs and half are K's. We can't even get outs fielding only half the outs.
But there's just no good answer.

We literally lead the SEC in fewest K's hitting. Not all contact is good contact- but we dont strikeout at the plate as much as other teams. We cant take Forsythe out of the line-up. He is out SS this year and in 2022 and 2023.

James is at .273 and Forsythe is at .262. 40 K's each. James bat probably has to be in the line-up for this team but let's not act like Cerrano is an all-star. He is getting slidered to death and is in a death spiral- 9 for his last 56 (.161). That's Hatcher numbers which led to a benching

The Federalist Engineer
05-16-2021, 09:17 PM
We all can at least temper our expectations heading into post season. If Mizzou can beat us like a drum, I think most everyone in a regional can as well. We're not all that great. Probably have over-achieved for the season as a whole. But outside of our 1 & 2 hole and Sims in the BP and Bednar 2/3 starts, we're nothing special anywhere else.

Im just mad to lose to a liberal arts school that does not even know they have a baseball team.

I have no expectations other than fascinating, inning by inning, baseball Brownian Motion. No telling what could happen.

I really do not think of us as a top-5 team, maybe top-16. The bad fielding and basket case starting pitching means anybody decent can beat us.

maroonmania
05-16-2021, 09:56 PM
We literally lead the SEC in fewest K's hitting. Not all contact is good contact- but we dont strikeout at the plate as much as other teams. We cant take Forsythe out of the line-up. He is out SS this year and in 2022 and 2023.

James is at .273 and Forsythe is at .262. 40 K's each. James bat probably has to be in the line-up for this team but let's not act like Cerrano is an all-star. He is getting slidered to death and is in a death spiral- 9 for his last 56 (.161). That's Hatcher numbers which led to a benching

Pretty sure he meant we lead in striking out the opposition yet our fielding is pathetic, not us striking out. Pretty well documented that our hitters don't strikeout much but we probably lead the league in weak contact.

bulldogcountry1
05-17-2021, 06:43 AM
It?s pretty worrisome that our starting SS at the beginning of the season and a guy who was battling for a starting spot at 3B are now batting each other for the DH.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Forsyth has that quickness and short throwing motion that creates outs out of possible hits. James has a long throwing motion that takes creates a little more time for bang bang plays being hits. Forsyth is a premium defender and his biggest problem is being a freshman. James error on the "hit" on the guy going home should have been an out. He is not up to par on infield defense at the moment. I am not saying he can't ever be up to par but this year he is not good. Needs to DH or play outfield.