View Full Version : Just got back from Dudy Noble

basedog
05-15-2021, 08:52 PM
All I can say is Speechless. There was so much bad wrong today and this series.
Baseball can be hard to understand especially when a team comes in last with a team batting average of around .235 with 28 home runs. Era over 7 against a highly ranked team and just out hit, out pitch and play much better defense.
We sure looked like a tired unmotivated team the last three days.
Can or or will we recover, probably but I?m not sure how far we can go thru the playoffs. To me our weakness part of our game is defense. I?m not sure what can be done.
Walks and errors are a pitchers worse nightmare.
Let?s worry about just winning the next game and quit worrying about where we are in the standings.
We did hit the ball ok today but we were just not good in the field.
Hats off to Missouri as they outplayed us in every phase of the game. Shocking!

Saltydog
05-15-2021, 08:54 PM
Agree about the defense but good lord our "elite" pitching staff was horrible too. Missouri knocked the shit outta the ball.

basedog
05-15-2021, 09:00 PM
I listened to Jay Powell coming home describing our pitching. He thinks our starters are a concern but thinks our pen will bounce back. He also thinks our defense is biggest problem as our pitching has been ok to good except this week. I think the same, 10 walks, 2 wild pitches, one passed ball with 4 errors and Missouri hits 4 home runs to score 9 of their 16 runs. Shocking again.

SailingDawg
05-15-2021, 09:09 PM
What was the total on errors for the home team this weekend?

Really Clark?
05-15-2021, 09:14 PM
What was the total on errors for the home team this weekend?

7...4 today

basedog
05-15-2021, 09:17 PM
7...4 today

3 Thursday
1 Friday but another should have been an error on James.
4 today.

Really Clark?
05-15-2021, 09:20 PM
3 Thursday
4 today.

They only gave 2 for Thursday officially

Bass Chaser
05-15-2021, 09:30 PM
I left early but I think Powell said we had thrown 166 pitches going into the 9th inning. LoTan had a tough day.

HoopsDawg
05-15-2021, 10:13 PM
They only gave 2 for Thursday officially

Everyone has to remember that our scorekeeper is very generous when it comes to hits/errors.

maroonmania
05-15-2021, 10:40 PM
3 Thursday
4 today.

Errors or not, on Friday consider that we gave up 3 of Missouri's 7 runs with the following in the 6th inning:

1 - bunt single on the shift
2 - hit by pitch
3 - sac bunt (1 out)
4 - walk
5 - wild pitch (1 run scored, other runners advanced)
6 - ground ball to 2nd base (2nd out at first base while other runners advanced - 2nd run scored)
7 - ground ball to SS with delayed throw to first. Runner initially ruled out but overturned on replay - (3rd run scored)

So Missouri scores nearly half their runs in an inning where they had no balls leave the infield and really no legitimate hits. That's terrible. If we had won last night like we should have then today's loss would have been much easier to deal with.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2021, 11:21 PM
Also that was the most runs they scored ALL Year. That was one of the most pathetic series I have seen in a long time. We should have been swept by one of the worst SEC teams that I might possibly have ever seen. We were close to dominated in every facet of the game.

AlSwearengen
05-16-2021, 12:48 AM
I think, among a few other things, we are dealing with fatigue. Who are the guys that are playing the best right now? Rowdey, TA, Dubrule, and Tanner. 3 of those are older players that have been thru the grind. Hancock is streaky so I don’t know how to describe him. If I’m Lemonis, I would consider no practice or working out for a few days. We need some rest.

As far as lineup, maybe move L. Tanner into the 3 hole. The breaking ball is in James’ head at this point and he is even missing fastballs when he gets them. Kellum Clark is pretty obviously not an outfielder but they are trying to find offense before the post season, so I get it. Every time we try to plug a hole in the dam, another one pops up and we don’t have enough fingers to plug all of them.

I feel a little bit for Lemonis b/c there are quite a few Jekyll and Hydes on this team. We have bullpen guys that are sitting 94/95 and sharp one night and the next time you see them they are 91 and wild. It is just a really strange team that if you look at them, you wonder how have we won as much as we have.

The disappointing thing is that I thought 2 weeks ago that we were possibly peaking at the right time. Hopefully, something good happens in Tuscaloosa and we leave there feeling good about ourselves.

Lord McBuckethead
05-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Officially or not, there was 5 errors on Thursday.

basedog
05-16-2021, 08:24 AM
Officially or not, there was 5 errors on Thursday.

Errors have hurt the pitchers big time, yesterday in the 1st inning, ball is hit not real hard back to Harding who couldn't fine the handle on what would have been an easy double play to get out of the inning with no runs opened up the flood gates. Same thing Thursday with MacClead getting two quick outs on 3 pitches only to error and again open up the flood gate (but we did find a way to come back and win).

Our starting pitchers have got to give us at least 4 innings at least, our pen was a wreck after Thursday and again Friday night and it really showed Saturday. Starters with 10 innings total, errors and walks everywhere! Nothing was good except Allen and Clark showed he could be a factor at the plate, plus Dubrule has really come on., (our bright spots).

I think this team has pride, it's our tradition and I feel better today, but worried, LOL!

The Federalist Engineer
05-16-2021, 12:25 PM
We dominated and hit decent USC pitchers with Leggett at 3B. Our pitchers looked good, comfortable. Our defense looked slick - for two games

Since, MSU reverted to James at 3B. We are 1-4. Yep simplification, big time. Hard to prove.

Seems to me confidence, comfort, and harmony is shot to hell when MSU plays sloppy infield.

Plus, now that James has gone full Pedro Cerrano. Team may really not lose that much with Leggett. Clark is hitting decent as DH.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Who hits our infield Fungo? Maybe they should make the infielders move in closer for Fungo until they quit making errors.

Really Clark?
05-16-2021, 08:15 PM
Who hits our infield Fungo? Maybe they should make the infielders move in closer for Fungo until they quit making errors.

That’s not the issue. Who makes the majority of our errors? True Freshman and guys with limited to no prior experience to speak of. That’s the answer.