PDA

View Full Version : Respect for 2017 - Cannizarro and Henderson

The Federalist Engineer
05-15-2021, 07:31 PM
With just a fraction of todays D1 pitchers. They never got blown out on Sunday like this, much less to dumpster fire teams. They won 17 SEC games too.

That team had Brant Blaylock throwing SEC innings. Even Brent Rooker had pitching duty.

msstate7
05-15-2021, 07:38 PM
We've lost 2 Sunday games by more than 2 runs.

MetEdDawg
05-15-2021, 07:55 PM
I would take that team leadership 100 times out of 100 compared to our current one. And where that shows up is in the errors colum. That team had 49 errors in 67 games. We've got 50 already this year.

Rooker, Mangum, Gridley, and Cody Brown all hit over .300. Also had Luke Alexander, Stovall

But here's some facts. That team scored 339 runs in 67 games. We've scored 327 already this year. 58 homers already this year to 59 in 2017.

Stats tell odd stories. Circumstances and situations matter more in baseball than any sport. Least talented team I was part of as a high school coach finished state runner up that year. The relationships, seniority, experience matter and that team had that oozing from them. This team doesn't have that special spark. It's way more talented, but that special spark isn't there. We've still got the talent to win it all though.

Rex54
05-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Get over yourselves Francis' - we hit a speed bump in a long baseball season. Shit happens. We still host our way to Omaha, quit bitching.

ZedFedder
05-15-2021, 08:12 PM
If we lose the series next weekend, then fine. Otherwise, that’s silly.

The Federalist Engineer
05-15-2021, 08:19 PM
I would take that team leadership 100 times out of 100 compared to our current one. And where that shows up is in the errors colum. That team had 49 errors in 67 games. We've got 50 already this year.

Rooker, Mangum, Gridley, and Cody Brown all hit over .300. Also had Luke Alexander, Stovall

But here's some facts. That team scored 339 runs in 67 games. We've scored 327 already this year. 58 homers already this year to 59 in 2017.

Stats tell odd stories. Circumstances and situations matter more in baseball than any sport. Least talented team I was part of as a high school coach finished state runner up that year. The relationships, seniority, experience matter and that team had that oozing from them. This team doesn't have that special spark. It's way more talented, but that special spark isn't there. We've still got the talent to win it all though.

Yeah, that teams determination and resourcefulness was off the charts. We have dudes today that belong in that category like Allen and Sims, for sure.

It can be argued that today was just a freak occurrence, many will take it that way. Hopefully they are right, optimists are frequently right.

Radio listeners with Jim Ellis and Jay Powell today could clearly understand this team was just not ready to play this weekend. That is just not MSU baseball as I know it.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2021, 11:26 PM
Get over yourselves Francis' - we hit a speed bump in a long baseball season. Shit happens. We still host our way to Omaha, quit bitching.

Our RPI is going to be in the teens now. Very possible that we aren't a National seed even if we win 2 at Bama.

msstate7
05-15-2021, 11:50 PM
Our RPI is going to be in the teens now. Very possible that we aren't a National seed even if we win 2 at Bama.

This says #8

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/rpi-live

Tbonewannabe
05-16-2021, 07:08 AM
This says #8

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/rpi-live
Well that is a lot better than I thought. We dropped from 2 to 6 with one loss so I expected another big drop after another really bad loss. Glad I was wrong.

Coach34
05-16-2021, 10:25 AM
This team has too many holes to win anything significant

LF is glaring weakness
James cant handle 3B- and is now struggling at the plate. Cerrano cant handle the slider
Leggs cant hit SEC pitching but is solid at 3B defensively
We are decent at SS but it's not a strength
Inconsistent starting pitching- our ERA is creeping up to 4.53 in SEC games
Wtf coaching decisions of relief pitchers

This team just isnt a championship winning team. We could end up in Omaha- but this bunch could easily lose a regional as well- especially if we get a team in it that hits the ball well.