PDA

View Full Version : Other options---Kyte McDonald

MaroonFlounder
05-15-2021, 12:06 PM
I don't remember if he wasn't great in LF, but in his limited # of ABs, I believe over half his hits were for extra bases.

The toughest thing for a baseball coach: does a guy hit well enough to pencil him into the lineup when his fielding is a liability? Is he stellar in the field, so you just live with whatever he may be able to scratch out something here are there at the plate?

I was keeping up with the Arky game during our game last night. The hogs get lights out in the field and make every play late in their games to secure wins. That's why they are where they are in the standings. Their only slight weakness is starting pitching, but Kopps is the only bullpen guy in the SEC that is remotely as good as L. Sims.

Really Clark?
05-15-2021, 12:18 PM
He has had only 1 start vs UAB, so he is not starting midweek games. Only 18 AB’s all year and 2 SEC AB’s (0-2 with 1 K). Tell us all we need to know and where the coaches think he is on the depth chart

MaroonFlounder
05-15-2021, 01:18 PM
He has had only 1 start vs UAB, so he is not starting midweek games. Only 18 AB’s all year and 2 SEC AB’s (0-2 with 1 K). Tell us all we need to know and where the coaches think he is on the depth chart

I'm just glad Lemonis benched the football guy and put Kam back at DH. Now maybe we can field good enough to have a chance in this game. Of course, Hootie just put himself in a hole. SMH

Really Clark?
05-15-2021, 01:28 PM
I'm just glad Lemonis benched the football guy and put Kam back at DH. Now maybe we can field good enough to have a chance in this game. Of course, Hootie just put himself in a hole. SMH

He ain’t done tinkering. Brad will end up being the best option still, unless Clark starts hitting like crazy. Love Clark’s potential but we just replaced .333 for .231 and with no LF experience.

Hambone
05-15-2021, 01:40 PM
Backups are always the best player on the team.

MaroonFlounder
05-15-2021, 01:56 PM
He ain’t done tinkering. Brad will end up being the best option still, unless Clark starts hitting like crazy. Love Clark’s potential but we just replaced .333 for .231 and with no LF experience.

You may be right. The freshman just did the same boneheaded slip up that Cumbest did last night.

This team is cursed at LF and 3B.

MetEdDawg
05-15-2021, 02:29 PM
If Skinner was living up to potential there wouldn't be that big of an issue.

The issue right now is we have too many one dimensional players in a lot of the same positions. James can't play defense. Hatcher can't hit. Skinner can't hit. Hancock is a sub optimal defender. Leggett can't hit. Clark is very inexperienced.

We are young in these positions too. This is not our best team but I'm hopeful this weekend with jar us back to reality.

Lord McBuckethead
05-16-2021, 08:15 AM
If Skinner was living up to potential there wouldn't be that big of an issue.

The issue right now is we have too many one dimensional players in a lot of the same positions. James can't play defense. Hatcher can't hit. Skinner can't hit. Hancock is a sub optimal defender. Leggett can't hit. Clark is very inexperienced.

We are young in these positions too. This is not our best team but I'm hopeful this weekend with jar us back to reality.

Leggett atleast battles in at bats. Skinner is an automatic out. I would rather he bunt everytime he comes to the plate. Hatcher can't see the ball and guesses pitches because he can't see the spin fast enough. Hancock needs to bat 7th. Cumbest needs to play every day regardless. He is the best option. Clark needs to be our dh/1b from now on. He and Leggett are our best options over there, right?

Cooterpoot
05-16-2021, 08:29 AM
If James will figure out the breaking pitch away, he's our DH without question. If he doesn't, well, we're kinda screwed. He's a big part of the offense. You have to leave Brad in LF and Leggett at 3B.
Going to be a lot of chances for incoming freshmen to play next year. Going to be a few guys leave too.

Saltydog
05-17-2021, 08:15 AM
If James hasn't figured out the breaking pitch away by now, he's probably not going to. I would just tell him that if it has spin on it, not to swing and take our chances with him either walking or getting a fastball.

PMDawg
05-17-2021, 08:41 AM
Hatcher

What an easy guy for an SEC pitcher to pitch to!

Pitch 1 - Fastball down the middle, K looking.
Pitch 2 - Throw it way out of the strike zone, any pitch. Swinging strike.
Pitch 3 - Elevate a fastball, or throw a breaking ball away. He's probably swinging and you've got a K. If not....
Pitch 4 - Pump another one down the middle. He's either too afraid to swing and strikes out, or he taps it to the 2nd baseman for an easy put away.

BiscuitEater
05-17-2021, 10:50 AM
I'm just glad Lemonis benched the football guy and put Kam back at DH.

Disagree! Cumbest is hitting .329, slugging at .579, with 44 TBs and home run power. 'Who' do you want instead?

Lord McBuckethead
05-17-2021, 02:56 PM
Cumbest may be our best overall hitter outside of Rowdy and Allen. Dude us putting up numbers.

MaroonFlounder
05-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Cumbest may be our best overall hitter outside of Rowdy and Allen. Dude us putting up numbers.

Logan Tanner is 3rd best hitter after TA and Rowdy.

Homedawg
05-17-2021, 09:38 PM

Omg....

The Federalist Engineer
05-17-2021, 09:39 PM
If James will figure out the breaking pitch away, he's our DH without question. If he doesn't, well, we're kinda screwed. He's a big part of the offense. You have to leave Brad in LF and Leggett at 3B.
Going to be a lot of chances for incoming freshmen to play next year. Going to be a few guys leave too.

Someone please remind me who was the last guy to look this confused by a particular pitch and then turn it around in the same season.

I remember Rooker was a 257 hitter after two seasons. Renfroe was sub 250 until year 3.

Since college baseball has very short seasons, it usually takes a Summer and a Fall for a kid to make big adjustments.