PDA

View Full Version : DJ Stewart not returning next season

KOdawg1
05-13-2021, 10:57 AM
According to Paul Jones, he's signed with an agent and is not returning.

This sucks.

Saltydog
05-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. The weather in Greece is great.......So much for Howland being excited about this team......I know we have some good folks on board but this one is gonna hurt a little.......

BeardoMSU
05-13-2021, 10:59 AM
GD we never catch a break....

msstate7
05-13-2021, 11:06 AM
Made the announcement early, so hopefully time to replace him

msstate7
05-13-2021, 11:08 AM
This team has 4 legit starters. Just need to find a good facilitator.

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2021, 11:20 AM
He probably got good feedback from scouts, it's the same reason Woodard stayed in last year and ended up signing a 3 million dollar guaranteed deal so if so, I can't blame him.

It's a big hit but we still have Molinar, Jeffries, Brooks and Tolu... thats still one heck of a team. Howland needs to bring in another grad transfer or two now.

KOdawg1
05-13-2021, 11:23 AM
The bright spot is that we have a better shot now with some of these transfer guards now that we have a starting position open. It was going to be a tough sell to convince a guy to transfer here to come off the bench, even if they had good minutes

PGHBulldogBG
05-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Best of luck to DJ and glad he announced now and didn?t wait longer so we can find a replacement

Cooterpoot
05-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Mistake, but it's his call. He's not getting drafted. Could've come back and improved his game. He'll be overseas. Maybe he can get a team and the D League.

StarkVegasSteve
05-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Not a good decision on his part IMO. His ball handling isn't NBA level, but hey his decision so he's got to live with it.

RiverCityDawg
05-13-2021, 11:45 AM
He probably got good feedback from scouts, it's the same reason Woodard stayed in last year and ended up signing a 3 million dollar guaranteed deal so if so, I can't blame him.

It's a big hit but we still have Molinar, Jeffries, Brooks and Tolu... thats still one heck of a team. Howland needs to bring in another grad transfer or two now.

Supposedly he was told he will not be drafted and should go back to school, but signed with an agent anyway.

parabrave
05-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. The weather in Greece is great.......So much for Howland being excited about this team......I know we have some good folks on board but this one is gonna hurt a little.......

Getting cold in Belarus and Rockets are falling in Israel. DJ you needed more time to develop/

KentuckyDawg13
05-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Come on down Shakeel Moore and/or Rocket Watts.

ZedFedder
05-13-2021, 12:06 PM
Sheeeeesh.

Homedawg
05-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Mistake, but it's his call. He's not getting drafted. Could've come back and improved his game. He'll be overseas. Maybe he can get a team and the D League.

This. 100%

Bothrops
05-13-2021, 12:22 PM
NIT again?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-13-2021, 12:31 PM
NIT again?

Nope

thf24
05-13-2021, 12:39 PM
The silver lining is that this makes it much easier for us to sign and start a true point guard. We weren't going to convince an impactful transfer to come in and sit on the bench while DJ started at the point this year.

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2021, 02:02 PM
Supposedly he was told he will not be drafted and should go back to school, but signed with an agent anyway.

If that's true, bad decision on whoever is giving him feedback to remain in the draft, I can't judge him, he may need the money for his family. Good luck to him though

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2021, 02:06 PM
NIT again?

We are still better than last year with the additions of Jeffries and Brooks. Molinar, Tolu and Fountain are still here too. Now we need to go get a really good gaurd out of the Portal. We can still be a really good team

Johnson85
05-13-2021, 02:14 PM

Man, I find it hard to believe that he would have agreed to redshirt and then gotten impatient enough to leave if he hasn't gotten a good guarantee that he will not just be drafted but offered a decent contract. Hope for his sake this isn't true and that he got a guarantee similar to Woodard, that he'll be drafted and offered a multiyear contract.

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2021, 02:41 PM
Man, I find it hard to believe that he would have agreed to redshirt and then gotten impatient enough to leave if he hasn't gotten a good guarantee that he will not just be drafted but offered a decent contract. Hope for his sake this isn't true and that he got a guarantee similar to Woodard, that he'll be drafted and offered a multiyear contract.

Yea, usually some sort of good feedback has been given to a player like D.J. to cause him to remain in the draft so I hope he did get some good feedback or promise.

Truth be told DJ was a great player and teamatte so I can't call his decision dumb like a few people already have, for trying to better himself and his family. He comes from a very small town so he may be ready to try and help them out even if his professional career start overseas. Good luck DJ!

CovertDawg
05-13-2021, 02:49 PM
Can't fault him. I think he actually made the correct decision. He is going to be 22 in July and that is already getting up there in terms of what NBA teams view as a prospect. I agree he needs to work on his ball handling....but if that is fixable then he might as well let the NBA player development people do that in the G-League.

Cooterpoot
05-13-2021, 02:50 PM
Come on down Shakeel Moore and/or Rocket Watts.

I thinks he's older than that.

HoopsDawg
05-13-2021, 02:57 PM
NIT again?

Yeah, no shot of NCAAT without finding a legit guard in the portal.

KentuckyDawg13
05-13-2021, 03:28 PM
So much for thinking.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-13-2021, 03:30 PM
According to Paul Jones, he's signed with an agent and is not returning.

This sucks.

What happened to Jalen Terry? I thought the "powers that be" said he was signing with State....

Ifyouonlyknew
05-13-2021, 03:31 PM
Yeah, no shot of NCAAT without finding a legit guard in the portal.

We will

ZedFedder
05-13-2021, 03:56 PM
What are our chances with Shakeel Moore or Rocket Watts.

Joebob
05-13-2021, 04:07 PM
The silver lining is that this makes it much easier for us to sign and start a true point guard. We weren't going to convince an impactful transfer to come in and sit on the bench while DJ started at the point this year.

Problem is, Howland doesn't recruit true point guards.

Bothrops
05-13-2021, 07:06 PM
Most of the SEC has loaded up with transfers from basketball schools, so I imagine a lot will hang on chemistry, as to whether we can make the tourney or not.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-13-2021, 08:51 PM
Israeli Basketball Premier league is looking for players.

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2021, 09:37 PM

And if he ends up there, good for him. I'm sure he can help provide for his family with the money he would make there. We as fans tend to forget people have lives and family needs to tend to. I want him back too but he is choosing to try to play professionally and No one can blame him for that. Life is bigger than Mississippi State. I hope he can get a nice deal like Woodard did last year

Lord McBuckethead
05-14-2021, 12:30 AM
The kid with the afro will take his minutes. Can't recall his name, but he came on strong at the end of the season last year. Should be a good #2 to Molinor.

parabrave
05-14-2021, 02:00 AM

These kids can make good money over there. Its not NBA money but they still rake some in. Plus get a all paid tour of Europe.

BiscuitEater
05-14-2021, 05:58 AM
These kids can make good money over there. Its not NBA money but they still rake some in. Plus get a all paid tour of Europe.

You simply 'missed' the entire point'. No State fan wants anything 'bad' for DJ; just the opposite! They wanted him back next year to see him improved, watch the team gel, and see him 'better' his chances to actually get drafted.

msstate7
05-14-2021, 06:11 AM
The kid with the afro will take his minutes. Can't recall his name, but he came on strong at the end of the season last year. Should be a good #2 to Molinor.

I assume you're talking about Matthews

Hot Rock
05-14-2021, 10:01 AM
If that's true, bad decision on whoever is giving him feedback to remain in the draft, I can't judge him, he may need the money for his family. Good luck to him though

I agree he may not get drafted and even if he does it will probably be late in the draft. But, He may know exactly where he stands and made an informed decision to take his shot.

I figure he will be getting paid to play ball somewhere next year and if he is not, I will be surprised.

thf24
05-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Problem is, Howland doesn't recruit true point guards.

He's recruiting Watts and Moore isn't he? If they're not true point guards they're a hell of a lot closer to it than DJ.

maroonmania
05-14-2021, 11:32 PM
Without DJ, Devion and Ado I don't see us as being much better than this past year. Will wait though to see if we can pull a decent guard out of the portal. And we really need two of them.

R2Dawg
05-15-2021, 07:22 AM

Bet they are, that upcoming game with the Hamas raiders looms big.

R2Dawg
05-15-2021, 07:25 AM
Without DJ, Devion and Ado I don't see us as being much better than this past year. Will wait though to see if we can pull a decent guard out of the portal. And we really need two of them.

You never know, every team is different. No one thought we'd be any good this past year after what we lost. If the chemistry gels, we have the talent. We do need a couple of real good guards though. If we get that, watch out. If there is one thing Howland has been able to do in recruit. I think we fill the needs.

R2Dawg
05-15-2021, 07:29 AM
DJ may have made a good decision for him, we just don't know. Wish him the best, people forget he has been here 3 years. If he is leaving early, I guess we did waste redshirting him after all.

Little Spoon probably did best thing too, he hated school. Better for him to leave than get in trouble at school or worse get the school in trouble. Well too late for that.

NCMSTFAN
05-15-2021, 07:53 PM
No disrespect to Ado but he was at MSU for 5 years and we were never great with him there, he is a great player but he isnt a program changing loss. Deivon is replaceable, if we can get Shakeel Moore they are very comparable. Their Freshman numbers are similar and both are quick explosive guys. Moore is a little bigger too. DJ will definitely be a big loss for us but we still have Molinar, Tolu and bring in Jeffries and Brooks. I'd take Jeffries and Brooks over Ado and Jalen Johnson any day so I feel like we upgraded even with the loss of DJ...... Fountain, Matthews and Garcia all showed promise this year too coming off the bench. Tolu Smith and George Brooks in the post together will be a problem for alot of teams.

R2Dawg
05-15-2021, 08:08 PM
No disrespect to Ado but he was at MSU for 5 years and we were never great with him there, he is a great player but he isnt a program changing loss. Deivon is replaceable, if we can get Shakeel Moore they are very comparable. Their Freshman numbers are similar and both are quick explosive guys. Moore is a little bigger too. DJ will definitely be a big loss for us but we still have Molinar, Tolu and bring in Jeffries and Brooks. I'd take Jeffries and Brooks over Ado and Jalen Johnson any day so I feel like we upgraded even with the loss of DJ...... Fountain, Matthews and Garcia all showed promise this year too coming off the bench. Tolu Smith and George Brooks in the post together will be a problem for alot of teams.

We have good talent coming back and good talent coming in offsetting some of what we lost. I think Garcia transferred.

NCMSTFAN
05-15-2021, 08:19 PM
We have good talent coming back and good talent coming in offsetting some of what we lost. I think Garcia transferred.

I hadn't seen that about Garcia. He will be a good player for someone at some point, but again not a program changing loss. Even with Stewart leaving I like our big 4 with Molinar, Jeffries, Tolu and Brooks... Also, Matthews is just as good as Stewart on the defensive end. Thats why Howland played him alot

BiscuitEater
05-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Also, Matthews is just as good as Stewart on the defensive end. Thats why Howland played him alot

And yet, he will NEVER be in a game at 'crunch time' while he continues to shoot < 27% from the FT line! I don't care 'how good' his defense is!

NCMSTFAN
05-15-2021, 09:14 PM
And yet, he will NEVER be in a game at 'crunch time' while he continues to shoot < 27% from the FT line! I don't care 'how good' his defense is!

Calm down... He isn't an offensive player, he was a true Freshman and played good defense, that was his role. There is a thing called player development. For you to say "NEVER" is ridiculous. Players do develop. Jason Kidd and Vince Carter were bad 3 point shooters early but both developed good shots from 3..

NCMSTFAN
05-15-2021, 09:29 PM

Im trying to find where Garcia transferred but haven't seen it.. can you send the link?

Madisonmd
05-16-2021, 06:21 AM
Im trying to find where Garcia transferred but haven't seen it.. can you send the link?

Garcia is still with team