PDA

View Full Version : Women's Golf Team

RLM38654
05-12-2021, 05:53 PM
State and the other teams got royally screwed by the NCAA. Very disappointing...

TimberBeast
05-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Several teams did.

Homedawg
05-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Course was playable but not championship caliber playable. Wth is that.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2021, 07:21 PM
Course was playable but not championship caliber playable. Wth is that.

They could play it, but the officials might get mud on their shoes, so it is "not playable at a championship level"

Ari Gold
05-13-2021, 06:29 AM
I just assumed there was a mask issue or shortage or something***.. it is the ncaa we are talking about..

William Tecumsah Sherman
05-13-2021, 06:35 AM
I think the NCAA is on borrowed time. Decisions like these will hasten the demise.

Dawgbite
05-13-2021, 07:48 AM
Club members and management didn’t want their course torn up after all that rain. If the truth ever comes out.

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Club members and management didn’t want their course torn up after all that rain. If the truth ever comes out.

So why couldn't they just have moved it to an acceptable course? It isn't like that was the only possible course. It also isn't like even playing a shit course would give anyone any type of advantage. Like if something happened to the Hump, you play in the arena in Tupelo so you just don't cancel it. Sounds like LSU just wanted a free pass. I bet that decision doesn't get made if one round had been played and LSU would have been cut. Complete bullshit.

Johnson85
05-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Club members and management didn?t want their course torn up after all that rain. If the truth ever comes out.

This is probably right and if so, they shouldn't be hosting a tournament like that. Good courses drain enough that you can play on them without tearing them up. Obviously it helps if you're in a place with sandy soil (a lot of the courses in the panhandle you can play in pretty steady rain they drain so well), but even if not, if it's really a tournament quality course, it will drain well.

The other possibility is that the higher seeds had influence to get a free pass, which is really no excuse. There is some random luck brought into it by bad weather and course conditions, but in my experience, bad conditions mostly favor better golfers. Or I guess it least better ball strikers.

William Tecumsah Sherman
05-14-2021, 10:48 AM
Looks like Barstool sports got involved and got a course in AZ to host. I?ve seen on Twitter where the NCAA approved. I haven?t seen anything from State WG yet

Cooterpoot
05-14-2021, 11:32 AM
NCAA caught a shit storm over it all, as they should have.

BulldogDX55
05-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Looks like Barstool sports got involved and got a course in AZ to host. I?ve seen on Twitter where the NCAA approved. I haven?t seen anything from State WG yet

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/its-go-barstool-host-tournament-womens-college-teams-eliminated-baton-rouge-regional

This article seems to indicate that Barstool was working directly with our athletic department so that's probably a forgone conclusion that we'd go.

William Tecumsah Sherman
05-14-2021, 01:45 PM
We have officially accepted now. Pretty cool story and in spite of the ncaa.

KB21
05-14-2021, 02:37 PM
Schools need to figure out that they don't need the NCAA overseeing them and making stupid decisions that affect every school.

MetEdDawg
05-14-2021, 06:56 PM
The question is will the NCAA stick their nose in this and start screaming impermissible benefits, etc. Technically all the teams competing in this are done with their season. So if the NCAA doesn't sanction this, anything those players receive during this would be subject to being under scrutiny.

If they allow it to happen, that speaks volumes about what they did and proves that the NCAA isn't really a necessary entity.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2021, 09:46 PM
So it has come out that the course maintenance crew didn't even attempt to get the course ready.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-15-2021, 10:49 PM
The course wasn't prepped for the tournament because the GM/Membership didn't want the tournament to be played. They were worried about the rutting up of the course and felt it was best to not play the tournament and avoid those issues. That's a BS reason to not play the tournament. The University Course could/would have bounced back in 5-7 days after the tournament. It's not like they're laying new drainage or re-sodding fairways.....that course could have bounced back in less than a week if the Regional Tournament would have been played as scheduled.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2021, 11:24 PM
The course wasn't prepped for the tournament because the GM/Membership didn't want the tournament to be played. They were worried about the rutting up of the course and felt it was best to not play the tournament and avoid those issues. That's a BS reason to not play the tournament. The University Course could/would have bounced back in 5-7 days after the tournament. It's not like they're laying new drainage or re-sodding fairways.....that course could have bounced back in less than a week if the Regional Tournament would have been played as scheduled.

So why not just play it at a different course? The reasoning just seems like total bullshit. I wonder if the course was still paid by the NCAA.

TimberBeast
05-15-2021, 11:35 PM

Not saying you?re wrong but where is that coming from? The NCAA should have say over that.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2021, 08:33 AM
Not saying you?re wrong but where is that coming from? The NCAA should have say over that.

At a minimum, that course should never host a NCAA event again. I saw a blip that the NCAA said if they couldn't play the bunkers then the incorrect team could win. What does that even mean? It isn't like every team wouldn't have the same advantages. What would happen if the worst team played and had favorable wind and then the favorite comes up and it starts gusting sideways? Do they call it and say the incorrect team would win in those conditions?