PDA

View Full Version : Rumor is Leiter...

TNDawg35
05-11-2021, 04:54 PM
Rumor is Leiter is done for the year. Corbin is playing damage control and told everyone he is monitoring his workload, but the decision came a couple hours before his start. Rumor is he was having arm ?soreness? the last couple weeks, but he wanted to pitch. Big blow for Vandy if so.

Todd4State
05-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Will have a major impact on the postseason. You could see someone sneak out of the Vandy regional now.

Cooterpoot
05-11-2021, 05:30 PM
They basically beat us without him. Vandy will still be good. Not as good, but good.
But, there are some other rumors up there too, and if true, would end any hope for them.

BeardoMSU
05-11-2021, 05:37 PM
They basically beat us without him. Vandy will still be good. Not as good, but good.
But, there are some other rumors up there too, and if true, would end any hope for them.

Kumar?

KOdawg1
05-11-2021, 05:38 PM
Looking more and more like Arky and us vs. the field

SteelCurtain74
05-11-2021, 05:52 PM
I said back when he threw the no hitter against SC that he had thrown 220 pitches in the last two starts and that might come back to bite them I was informed by Rex54 and Brunswick that it wasn't a big deal. Apparently it is a big deal and the effects are coming home to roost.

BeardoMSU
05-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Looking more and more like Arky and us vs. the field

Hopefully they'll be on the otherside of the bracket.

BrunswickDawg
05-11-2021, 06:01 PM
I said back when he threw the no hitter against SC that he had thrown 220 pitches in the last two starts and that might come back to bite them I was informed by Rex54 and Brunswick that it wasn't a big deal. Apparently it is a big deal and the effects are coming home to roost.

Yep - I was wrong. I didn't make any eating crow statements though, so I'll stick with tacos tonight.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-11-2021, 07:18 PM

And would be even better if Vandy is on the same side of the bracket with them.

Cowbell
05-11-2021, 09:57 PM
Corbin and Bianco making it harder on the rest of us to talk kids into coming to school.

Avelso
05-11-2021, 11:00 PM
Spill the beans. What?s the rumor?

Todd4State
05-11-2021, 11:37 PM

Yes. In Nashville. I like our odds against them at Dudy Noble, Hoover, or Omaha.

State82
05-12-2021, 12:07 AM
Oh now that was funny! Nice!

Rex54
05-12-2021, 06:33 AM

Does every pitcher that throws 220 pitches in two starts end up hurt?
Do pitchers that do not throw 220 pitches in back to back starts ever get hurt?

Sometimes shit happens. Take a look at the number of pitches thrown in Dakota Hudson's starts in 2016
https://msstate_ftp.sidearmsports.com/stats/bb/2016/plyr_25.htm

Right out of the gate he goes 94, 102, 105, 120, 126 - well hell by your logic he should have been having surgery by April.

basedog
05-12-2021, 07:39 AM

Sometimes shit happens. Take a look at the number of pitches thrown in Dakota Hudson's starts in 2016

Right out of the gate he goes 94, 102, 105, 120, 126 - well hell by your logic he should have been having surgery by April.

You have to keep in mind how many pitchers are throwing at a young age and this Travel Ball stuff. I can tell you that I know one young pitcher who had some issues at 14 years arm, he was taken to Dr Andrews clinic in B'ham. They determined he had a "growing spurt" because he just started pitching and he needed to lay off for a few months and let mother nature take its course if you get it. So it's a lot of things with arms, youth, mechanics, strength and so many other factors. More pitchers don't have surgery than ones that do. But over using or too many pitches is a huge problem. Rest and good mechanics is a great start.
Me myself and family, are very thankful for Msu coaches and how they are handling pitchers.

Coach34
05-12-2021, 09:55 AM
Depends on the weather also. Throwing someone 110 pitches on a March day when it’s 52 degrees is not the same as throwing someone 110 pitches when it’s 80 outside

KB21
05-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Depends on the weather also. Throwing someone 110 pitches on a March day when it’s 52 degrees is not the same as throwing someone 110 pitches when it’s 80 outside

The pitcher's build plays a role as well. I had a scouting guy tell me before the season that he wasn't sure Jack Leiter would hold up with a heavy work load because he is slight of frame and is a max effort thrower.

Really Clark?
05-12-2021, 10:29 AM

Dakota is a bad comparison though. Different body, different mechanics, different pitch type and effort. Hudson was a 2 seam sinker pitcher with 115 K’s that year in 113 innings, Leiter is a max effort guy with much smaller frame looking to K everyone. He already has almost as many K’s (106) in 64 innings has Hudson had his entire 2016 season in 113 innings.

Johnson85
05-12-2021, 10:39 AM
The pitcher's build plays a role as well. I had a scouting guy tell me before the season that he wasn't sure Jack Leiter would hold up with a heavy work load because he is slight of frame and is a max effort thrower.

It was surprising to me the first time I saw Leiter. Never paid attention to him last year and I just assumed he was a monster like Rocker. Not that 6-1 205 is small (although I would have guessed more like 190 looking at him), but not what I was expecting.

SteelCurtain74
05-12-2021, 11:53 AM

Well first, my statement was made in March after he made his first SEC start of the year. I simply stated that the decision to let him throw that many pitches may come back to haunt them and it has. Second, it was 54 degrees that day in Nashville plus the game was already in hand. SC wasn't coming back.

How you make the leap from my statement to somehow comparing it to what Dakota Hudson did FIVE years ago or comparing to every other pitcher that throws 220 pitches is quite curious. My statement had nothing to do with the number of pitches but more of the timing of when that number of pitches were being thrown. If he was throwing that number of pitches this weekend and next weekend, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

The Federalist Engineer
05-12-2021, 02:49 PM
Corbin and Bianco making it harder on the rest of us to talk kids into coming to school.

1st Round picks should not generally come to school, especially pitchers to a desperate and obsessed school like Ole Miss

I wonder if this spooks the Rocker family and they bail on the Whisperers. For Rocker, the season is now Pure Risk with no personal reward. If he opts out, he can still take his General Studies classes at Vandy. School is already out.

Johnson85
05-12-2021, 02:59 PM
1st Round picks should not generally come to school, especially pitchers to a desperate and obsessed school like Ole Miss

I wonder if this spooks the Rocker family and they bail on the Whisperers. For Rocker, the season is now Pure Risk with no personal reward. If he opts out, he can still take his General Studies classes at Vandy. School is already out.

It's amazing to me that Rocker is still there. I thought money wasn't an issue for them because his dad played in the NFL, but didn't realize he only lasted two or three years. So I guess he really is just playing with his fall back being an insurance policy.

StarkVegasSteve
05-12-2021, 03:27 PM
It's amazing to me that Rocker is still there. I thought money wasn't an issue for them because his dad played in the NFL, but didn't realize he only lasted two or three years. So I guess he really is just playing with his fall back being an insurance policy.

If it's true about Leiter than I can see a world where Rocker is shut down til at least the Regionals and possibly the CWS. If it's either shut him down or lose I imagine Corbin will choose the former. However, without either of them that series in Oxford gets a heck of a lot more interesting.

KB21
05-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Ryan Webb at Georgia is now getting shut down for the rest of the season.

The Federalist Engineer
05-12-2021, 08:14 PM

Interesting Read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/09/09/worried-about-your-aces-100-million-arm-there-is-insurance-for-that/

“The premiums can be expensive, perhaps 3 percent for the contract of a position player, 7 percent for a pitcher. Thus, insuring even the first year of Strasburg’s extension, in which he’ll make more than $18.3 million, could cost the Nationals close to $1.3 million. In order for a team to collect on an insurance policy, a player must miss a predetermined number of days — usually around 60. And even then, the club would get back only between 60-80 percent of the player’s salary.”

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Interesting Read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/09/09/worried-about-your-aces-100-million-arm-there-is-insurance-for-that/

“The premiums can be expensive, perhaps 3 percent for the contract of a position player, 7 percent for a pitcher. Thus, insuring even the first year of Strasburg’s extension, in which he’ll make more than $18.3 million, could cost the Nationals close to $1.3 million. In order for a team to collect on an insurance policy, a player must miss a predetermined number of days — usually around 60. And even then, the club would get back only between 60-80 percent of the player’s salary.”

Insurance companies make money. They aren't in the business of giving out money until they legally have to and that is usually after every loop hole is examined.

KB21
05-13-2021, 01:42 PM
Insurance companies make money. They aren't in the business of giving out money until they legally have to and that is usually after every loop hole is examined.

I'm convinced that insurance companies deny all claims initially just to see if you will not appeal. I have to deal with health insurance companies. I had a patient recently who has migraine headaches, is intolerant to tryptans, allergic to the monoclonal antibody meds, and has had an increase in her headaches since getting the covid vaccine. I gave her some samples of a different kind of headache medication, and it worked for her. When I sent a prescription, her insurance denied it. When I appealed, they sent a list of questions where, if they had read my office note, had already been answered.

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2021, 01:53 PM
I'm convinced that insurance companies deny all claims initially just to see if you will not appeal. I have to deal with health insurance companies. I had a patient recently who has migraine headaches, is intolerant to tryptans, allergic to the monoclonal antibody meds, and has had an increase in her headaches since getting the covid vaccine. I gave her some samples of a different kind of headache medication, and it worked for her. When I sent a prescription, her insurance denied it. When I appealed, they sent a list of questions where, if they had read my office note, had already been answered.

I worked for an insurance broker on home insurance. If they ever paid a claim then the insurance automatically went up 10-20% to basically pay it back. Insurance for the most part is kind of like a savings account that you only get 30% of the money back that you put in.

Really Clark?
05-13-2021, 02:44 PM

Depends on the type of insurance you talking about and the carrier, I guess. I worked 20 years for specialized physical damage and inland marine claims for about 30 different carriers, less than 1% was ever denied and NEVER denied until after our initial investigation. Never had a carrier deny the claim upon the receipt of the claim. Again, this is property physical damage claims. Still do storm claim work and the carriers I worked for actually expand coverages during a storm event and they gave out way above policy language during Katrina.

Dawg_Lover
05-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Believe the general policy across the health insurance industry is to deny most claims three (3) times. The working theory is most people will give up before coming to a satisfactory resolution.
No matter the hassle, any client with a valid claim should not give up. Stand your ground, and keep contesting their decision with valid documented proof of claim.
Your patient is fortunate you are their advocate. Some healthcare providers only make the effort once, if at all, then it is up to the patient. The reason being shortage of time or staff.
In my opinion, the insurance industry is not what it used to be 3 to 5 decades ago. Then, some actually operated with integrity. I may be jaded, but I believe those days are gone.

Dawg_Lover
05-13-2021, 03:15 PM
Depends on the type of insurance you talking about and the carrier, I guess. I worked 20 years for specialized physical damage and inland marine claims for about 30 different carriers, less than 1% was ever denied and NEVER denied until after our initial investigation. Never had a carrier deny the claim upon the receipt of the claim. Again, this is property physical damage claims. Still do storm claim work and the carriers I worked for actually expand coverages during a storm event and they gave out way above policy language during Katrina.

Can you, or will you, divulge any company names regarding better storm damage coverage?

Really Clark?
05-13-2021, 03:22 PM
Can you, or will you, divulge any company names regarding better storm damage coverage?

Are you asking about Homeowners? If so, I specialized with commercial equipment (from forestry to Cranes to Over the Road and everything in between), inland marine, marine claims, property damages, etc. Couldn’t tell you on personal lines.

Commercial property you end up with only so many choices or subsidiaries of carriers like Travelers, Chubb, etc.

Commercial PD, equipment, inland marine claims you have a much broader choice in state, if you asking about those lines of coverage I can give you some good idea of where you want to look.

Dawg_Lover
05-13-2021, 03:49 PM
Are you asking about Homeowners? If so, I specialized with commercial equipment (from forestry to Cranes to Over the Road and everything in between), inland marine, marine claims, property damages, etc. Couldn’t tell you on personal lines.

Commercial property you end up with only so many choices or subsidiaries of carriers like Travelers, Chubb, etc.

Commercial PD, equipment, inland marine claims you have a much broader choice in state, if you asking about those lines of coverage I can give you some good idea of where you want to look.

Okay, as I read through your comment the first time, I misinterpreted the later half regarding storm damage relating it to personal homeowner property. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

Really Clark?
05-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Okay, as I read through your comment the first time, I misinterpreted the later half regarding storm damage relating it to personal homeowner property. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem! Would have been happy to help if I had the knowledge to do so.

Hambone
05-13-2021, 05:01 PM
https://twitter.com/tedcahill/status/1392953615753547778?s=21

BrunswickDawg
05-14-2021, 06:35 AM

I'll tell you a good homeowners company from my experience - Country Financial. Didn't know if they cover MS. I had damage from Hurricane Irma - had an adjuster on site within 24 hours, and a check cut on site for roof damage.. Had a couple of big busted live oak limbs still hanging in trees - which they don't cover. Adjuster asked "you lost power didn't you?" We had only lost it for about 5 hours. While shaking his head yes he said "and you lost all the food in your fridge, you have a $500 allowance for that. And I think I saw you had a deep freeze (I didn't) and you get a $500 allowance for lost food in that too." I just shook my head and got me an extra grand to help with the tree work. My premium didn't change. They are not the cheapest coverage - but they paid off and provided excellent coverage and service.

Really Clark?
05-14-2021, 06:42 AM
I'll tell you a good homeowners company from my experience - Country Financial. Didn't know if they cover MS. I had damage from Hurricane Irma - had an adjuster on site within 24 hours, and a check cut on site for roof damage.. Had a couple of big busted live oak limbs still hanging in trees - which they don't cover. Adjuster asked "you lost power didn't you?" We had only lost it for about 5 hours. While shaking his head yes he said "and you lost all the food in your fridge, you have a $500 allowance for that. And I think I saw you had a deep freeze (I didn't) and you get a $500 allowance for lost food in that too." I just shook my head and got me an extra grand to help with the tree work. My premium didn't change. They are not the cheapest coverage - but they paid off and provided excellent coverage and service.

They are not writing in Mississippi. Glad they went over and above from the storm damage

BrunswickDawg
05-14-2021, 07:20 AM
They are not writing in Mississippi. Glad they went over and above from the storm damage

I was shocked. I heard horror stories locally from people who had State Farm and Allstate.

SteelCurtain74
05-14-2021, 07:35 AM
I worked for an insurance company for 13 years first as an underwriter then as an underwriting manager. It is true that there are and have been companies that deny claims at the drop of a hat and are more difficult to deal with however it was not uncommon to receive phone calls from customers who had no idea what the policy they were paying for covered or didn't cover. Now you can lay that at the feet of the agent for not explaining it thoroughly but ultimately it is the consumers responsibility to know what they're buying and how their property is covered, ex: actual cash value vs replacement cost.

Really Clark?
05-14-2021, 07:44 AM
I worked for an insurance company for 13 years first as an underwriter then as an underwriting manager. It is true that there are and have been companies that deny claims at the drop of a hat and are more difficult to deal with however it was not uncommon to receive phone calls from customers who had no idea what the policy they were paying for covered or didn't cover. Now you can lay that at the feet of the agent for not explaining it thoroughly but ultimately it is the consumers responsibility to know what they're buying and how their property is covered, ex: actual cash value vs replacement cost.

Always pay the extra for replacement cost when it’s available and get the broadest coverage you can afford. Just those things can help stop issues with a claim before it even starts.

Johnson85
05-14-2021, 07:56 AM

It's probably not that the agent didn't explain it thoroughly. The agent probably didn't explain it at all or actively misled them. A very small number of people look past total coverage, deductible, and price. Hell, a good number of people don't even take into account all three. So agents give them what they want rather than what they probably need because trying to give them what they need will cost them business.

Johnson85
05-14-2021, 08:01 AM
I was shocked. I heard horror stories locally from people who had State Farm and Allstate.

Don't know any specifics about Allstate, but I will never have State Farm for anything. I have heard their auto insurance is actually good to deal with, but if you have them for home insurance, you have to know that at the end of the day, you are buying the right to sue them, because they will 17 you if it's in their best interest. Insurance that is good to deal with when things are going well but 17s you if they decide honoring the contract will be too costly is not good insurance at any price.

SteelCurtain74
05-14-2021, 08:07 AM
It's probably not that the agent didn't explain it thoroughly. The agent probably didn't explain it at all or actively misled them. A very small number of people look past total coverage, deductible, and price. Hell, a good number of people don't even take into account all three. So agents give them what they want rather than what they probably need because trying to give them what they need will cost them business.

I'm sure that happens as well but again that is where the consumer needs to ask questions if they are not sure of what they are buying. Sometimes, however, the agent is doing right by the customer but it is the company that changes the policy type, the coverage, etc. Also in many cases the agent has little to any say on if or how a claim is settled. They can plead their case but the Claims department ultimately will make the decision.

BB30
05-14-2021, 11:16 AM

110 pitches in an outing isn't a huge workload and if he can't handle that over what 15-16 starts it's going to be tough being asked to log 180+ innings in the big leagues when the average pitch count per successful start is between 90-115 pitches.

The bigger problem is stressful long innings.

Id rather a guy throw 9 complete and finish around 110-120 pitches than a guy go 4 and log 75 pitches due to having a rough more strenuous inning or two. If a guy is cruising and most of his pitches are in low stress situations you probably won't see any arm issues directly related to pitch count.

Homedawg
05-14-2021, 12:21 PM
110 pitches in an outing isn't a huge workload and if he can't handle that over what 15-16 starts it's going to be tough being asked to log 180+ innings in the big leagues when the average pitch count per successful start is between 90-115 pitches.

The bigger problem is stressful long innings.

Id rather a guy throw 9 complete and finish around 110-120 pitches than a guy go 4 and log 75 pitches due to having a rough more strenuous inning or two. If a guy is cruising and most of his pitches are in low stress situations you probably won't see any arm issues directly related to pitch count.
This. Any inning 25 pitches plus is way more damaging. Especially if followed by another long inning. Good post

BiscuitEater
05-14-2021, 02:14 PM

Thought that MSU actually faced Leiter AND won the game! Someone said that it was 'first' SEC loss in two years with Vandy!

And 'IF' you think his loss won't affect their post season, you are delusional.

TALL DAWG
05-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Thought that MSU actually faced Leiter AND won the game! Someone said that it was 'first' SEC loss in two years with Vandy!

And 'IF' you think his loss won't affect their post season, you are delusional.

Well, for a guy with a bad arm Leiter just wore the Sharks smooth out. I think Corbin mislead everyone on Leiter.

Cooterpoot
05-15-2021, 10:29 PM
Well, for a guy with a bad arm Leiter just wore the Sharks smooth out. I think Corbin mislead everyone on Leiter.

So, you're saying pitching your best pitchers the most is ok? Asking for a coach.

BeardoMSU
05-15-2021, 10:41 PM

Yeah, had we not gotten clowned ourselves this weekend, I might've taken some joy in seeing him literally deep dick OM down to the hilt today. Tomorrows a big game in that series. I'm curious if OM were to win how far they'd jump...