05-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Wonder how far he drops in draft

KOdawg1
05-11-2021, 12:08 PM
They're done.

BeardoMSU
05-11-2021, 12:10 PM
They're done.

Yep. With the state of their bullpen, losing Hoglund pretty much sinks whatever slim post-season hopes they had.

cchjxn
05-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Really really sucks for the kid. Latest mock draft had him going #8 overall. Turned down 1st round money out of high school. Similar to JT Ginn

parabrave
05-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Really really sucks for the kid. Latest mock draft had him going #8 overall. Turned down 1st round money out of high school. Similar to JT Ginn

Whats the High School rule? Round 1 take the money and run.

Homedawg
05-11-2021, 12:18 PM
They're done.

Yep. Best hitter, gone. Best pitcher, done. DONE fork in em.

Homedawg
05-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Whats the High School rule? Round 1 take the money and run.

He is going to get near the same amount of money, if I had to take a guess. Just like Ginn. But I don't disagree with your point of a first rounder.

KOdawg1
05-11-2021, 12:21 PM
Yep. Best hitter, gone. Best pitcher, done. DONE fork in em.

They won't even make it out of a regional. They have Nikhazy and they have Broadway. That's it. They're going to run out of depth fast

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2021, 12:34 PM
The big question now is Mike Bianco done in Oxford?

cujo
05-11-2021, 01:00 PM
The big question now is Mike Bianco done in Oxford?
Because if Vanderbilt sweeps them, we have almost no chance to win the SEC

KB21
05-11-2021, 01:07 PM
He is going to get near the same amount of money, if I had to take a guess. Just like Ginn. But I don't disagree with your point of a first rounder.

He's going to want over slot money, but I highly doubt he gets what he would have gotten as a top 10 pick. He was probably looking at $5.3 million to $5.5 million as a top 10 pick. If he drops to the mid 20s, those bonus slots drop to $2.5-2.8 million. The teams picking there do not have large slot pools.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Not saying this is the cause, however I said on here before that these guys aren't 26 years old, and they pitched limited innings last year. So I'm not a fan of throwing these guys so many innings. Hoglund, Rocker, Nikhazy, Leiter for example. I think Lemonis keeping MacLeod and Bednar in the range of 80-95 pitches will be beneficial. It's a marathon, not a sprint. And for teams with aspirations like Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy, Arkansas, etc., the season doesn't start until the first of June. You want to enter June healthy and deep. You have to be careful with your starters, and develop bullpen depth.

Cowbell
05-11-2021, 03:05 PM
Not saying this is the cause, however I said on here before that these guys aren't 26 years old, and they pitched limited innings last year. So I'm not a fan of throwing these guys so many innings. Hoglund, Rocker, Nikhazy, Leiter for example. I think Lemonis keeping MacLeod and Bednar in the range of 80-95 pitches will be beneficial. It's a marathon, not a sprint. And for teams with aspirations like Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy, Arkansas, etc., the season doesn't start until the first of June. You want to enter June healthy and deep. You have to be careful with your starters, and develop bullpen depth.

I think the limited innings last year is the big key. I feel like Lemonis is about to look like the smart guy playing the long game with our pitchers. If that means taking a few Ls, I'm fine with it.

StarkVegasSteve
05-11-2021, 03:20 PM
I think the limited innings last year is the big key. I feel like Lemonis is about to look like the smart guy playing the long game with our pitchers. If that means taking a few Ls, I'm fine with it.

This is what I've been saying for the entire year. We're talking about 18-22 year olds who until late February had not thrown a competitive pitch in almost a full calendar year. That's a heck of a long time and no amt. of bullpens is going to simulate the wear and tear a season will put on a pitchers arm. I think pitching recruits need to look at how Fox and Lemonis have handled our pitchers and then compare that to Corbin and Bianco. I know some on here think we baby our pitchers, but there's a method to what we're doing and pretty sound reasoning behind why we're doing it.

KB21
05-11-2021, 03:24 PM
This is what I've been saying for the entire year. We're talking about 18-22 year olds who until late February had not thrown a competitive pitch in almost a full calendar year. That's a heck of a long time and no amt. of bullpens is going to simulate the wear and tear a season will put on a pitchers arm. I think pitching recruits need to look at how Fox and Lemonis have handled our pitchers and then compare that to Corbin and Bianco. I know some on here think we baby our pitchers, but there's a method to what we're doing and pretty sound reasoning behind why we're doing it.

It's an analytics driven game now. One of the big changes that has been made with analytics is that managers do not tend to let their starting pitcher go through the order a third time. This has put a major emphasis on relief pitchers. I feel like, going forward, you are going to see some of the better arms actually come out of the pen and do it for multiple innings instead of just specializing for one inning. Lemonis has already done this with the pen this year to keep the guys fresh. Brandon Smith, Landon Sims, Houston Harding, Preston Johnson, and Cameron Tullar have all been multi-inning relievers for the most part this year.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-11-2021, 04:24 PM

MacLeod pitched 21.0 innings last year. Bednar pitched 15.1 innings last year. And they weren't SEC innings.

Turfdawg67
05-11-2021, 04:47 PM
Well... Nancy has his excuse for failing again.

msudawg1200
05-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Sucks for Hoglund. Hopefully, he comes back stronger and has a great MLB career.

Todd4State
05-11-2021, 05:05 PM
Well... Nancy has his excuse for failing again.
What's the excuse going to be when our short slap hitters are a National Seed?**

Turfdawg67
05-11-2021, 05:17 PM
What's the excuse going to be when our short slap hitters are a National Seed?**

A stud 5* WR who's choosing between Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Ohio St. In other words, he'll ignore and move on to what Nancy does best... pumping up the loyal OM fan base with his bullsh*t.

cchjxn
05-11-2021, 06:08 PM
Hoglund will prob drop from #8 overall to around 17/20 range in 1st round. Tommy John isn?t much of a deterrent for Pro teams anymore. Over half the pitchers drafted in the first round last year had already had TJ surgery. The drop of 8/10 spots will cost him around $1.5mil. Slot money for 16/20 in the draft is $4.7mil to $4.2mil. Sucks for him but he?ll be fine. Ole Miss is done for though. Lost Elko, Cioffi, Hoglund...their bullpen is trash. The only chance they have is to slug their way through a regional, but you can?t slug your way through a super. Plus Bianco is a horrid in-game manager and always has them tighter than a tick in the post-season.

Todd4State
05-11-2021, 11:45 PM
Hoglund will prob drop from #8 overall to around 17/20 range in 1st round. Tommy John isn?t much of a deterrent for Pro teams anymore. Over half the pitchers drafted in the first round last year had already had TJ surgery. The drop of 8/10 spots will cost him around $1.5mil. Slot money for 16/20 in the draft is $4.7mil to $4.2mil. Sucks for him but he?ll be fine. Ole Miss is done for though. Lost Elko, Cioffi, Hoglund...their bullpen is trash. The only chance they have is to slug their way through a regional, but you can?t slug your way through a super. Plus Bianco is a horrid in-game manager and always has them tighter than a tick in the post-season.

He still lost money because he is going to fail his physical. Yes, Tommy John has come a long way but there is still risk of a guy not being able to come back. You are correct about the slot bonuses- and I bet a team like the Cardinals will sign him underslot. So he has lost at least 1.5 and probably more.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2021, 06:39 AM
He still lost money because he is going to fail his physical. Yes, Tommy John has come a long way but there is still risk of a guy not being able to come back. You are correct about the slot bonuses- and I bet a team like the Cardinals will sign him underslot. So he has lost at least 1.5 and probably more.

But, he got to enjoy beer showers, The Groooove, and redshirt Ms America's - so that has to be worth something, right?

CadaverDawg
05-12-2021, 07:48 AM
I can see it now, "Welcome to Omaha where a Cinderella story is unfolding....after losing their best pitcher and best hitter for the year, the Ole Miss Rebels managed to slug their way to Omaha in what can only be described as a run for the ages" or some shit like that. I'm not pronouncing those cockroaches dead until they're buried. For some reason I had more comfort in them collapsing with a full deck than I do now that they will have low expectations and possibly play relaxed.

basedog
05-12-2021, 07:55 AM

I saw where in interview Hoglund told Bianco he felt fine after warming up. He did have soreness after his last start, no doubt he made a huge mistake by pitching, obviously he had damage but didn't recognize what was going on long before this incident and it finally just snapped or was torn. Again wear and tear finally catches up, way too much stress. It's sad but it's his decision to pitch as any pitcher should tell the coaches no many times when its time to throw. I wonder if he ever had arm problems earlier in his career, as we all know some have only so many throws. I wish him luck.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2021, 09:41 AM
I can see it now, "Welcome to Omaha where a Cinderella story is unfolding....after losing their best pitcher and best hitter for the year, the Ole Miss Rebels managed to slug their way to Omaha in what can only be described as a run for the ages" or some shit like that. I'm not pronouncing those cockroaches dead until they're buried. For some reason I had more comfort in them collapsing with a full deck than I do now that they will have low expectations and possibly play relaxed.

I hope you are putting your reverse mojo on that post - or does that only work in game threads?

MedDawg
05-12-2021, 12:30 PM
I saw where in interview Hoglund told Bianco he felt fine after warming up. He did have soreness after his last start, no doubt he made a huge mistake by pitching, obviously he had damage but didn't recognize what was going on long before this incident and it finally just snapped or was torn. Again wear and tear finally catches up, way too much stress. It's sad but it's his decision to pitch as any pitcher should tell the coaches no many times when its time to throw. I wonder if he ever had arm problems earlier in his career, as we all know some have only so many throws. I wish him luck.

That has to be part of coaching. Recognizing arm/throwing troubles at the end of a start. Get all of the players comfortable with coming to you with trouble, including fielders/hitters. And good trainers recognizing trouble, too--squeeze that forearm or wrist a little, see if it hurts, carefully check range of motion and recognize if anything has changed in each player.

basedog
05-12-2021, 01:01 PM
That has to be part of coaching. Recognizing arm/throwing troubles at the end of a start. Get all of the players comfortable with coming to you with trouble, including fielders/hitters. And good trainers recognizing trouble, too--squeeze that forearm or wrist a little, see if it hurts, carefully check range of motion and recognize if anything has changed in each player.

I can tell you we have a caring training staff and coaches. Young players for the most part want to compete, but smart trainer, coaches and players have to be be honest with themselves!

smootness
05-12-2021, 01:13 PM

From what he could have made had he not gotten hurt, but not compared to what he would have gotten had he signed out of HS. Slot value for that pick was just shy of $2 million. So the decision to come to school, even with the TJ, is likely going to be just fine.