PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Portal (Women's Basketball)

jdelta02
05-10-2021, 10:13 PM
2 of the transfer related post players that Miss. State has appeared interested in are now showing as being followed on Twitter by former Miss. State Women's Basketball assistant coach Wesley Brooks (hired a few weeks ago) among others..who was today reported as Ohio State Women's Basketball new assistant coach Wesley Brooks. One of them followed by Wesley Brooks and another Ohio State assistant coach. Was reported earlier today that Brooks, hired a few weeks ago, was leaving Miss. State for Ohio State. Brooks leaving appears to have already been in the works before being reported today. At least one of these players started following him before today.

Besides this..been fairly quiet lately regarding the Miss. State women's basketball program and transfers.

captaindog
05-10-2021, 10:34 PM
2 of the transfer related post players that Miss. State has appeared interested in are now showing as being followed on Twitter by former Miss. State Women's Basketball assistant coach (recently hired..few weeks on job) and now newly reported (today) as Ohio State Women's Basketball Assistant Wesley Brooks...among others. One of them by Wesley Brooks and another Ohio State assistant coach. Was reported early today that Brooks, hired a few weeks ago, was leaving Miss. State for Ohio State. Brooks leaving appears to have already been in the works before being reported today....at least one of these players started following him before oday.

Besides this.been fairly quiet lately regarding the Miss. State women's basketball program and transfers.

Best of luck to him. However we have connections to that area with our other assistants. Now that the dead period is over I think things will pick back up.

jdelta02
05-11-2021, 10:37 AM
Best to Coach Brooks as he moves forward.
Also, both Coach Keith Freeman and Coach Tamisha Augustin specialize in post players, and Coach Augustin is the recruiting coordinator on top of that. Wouldn't be surprised to hear some good news fairly soon.

KB21
05-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Best to Coach Brooks as he moves forward.
Also, both Coach Keith Freeman and Coach Tamisha Augustin specialize in post players, and Coach Augustin is the recruiting coordinator on top of that. Wouldn't be surprised to hear some good news fairly soon.

It's not going to matter. I mean, hell, we had talented players this year that NMP couldn't coach. What makes us think she will be able to coach anyone else with talent? It's not going to matter who we bring in. The fact that NMP is our coach right now dooms the program.

jdelta02
05-11-2021, 11:19 AM
It's not going to matter. I mean, hell, we had talented players this year that NMP couldn't coach. What makes us think she will be able to coach anyone else with talent? It's not going to matter who we bring in. The fact that NMP is our coach right now dooms the program.

I disagree. Also, most of these are different players...her players. Come back again during and after next season and discus this.

Dawgfan77
05-11-2021, 11:29 AM
We lost a coach who had been in the job for less than one month for quote family reasons If you can't see that's troubling I don't know what to tell you.

Rex54
05-11-2021, 11:46 AM
Yawn

notsofarawaydawg
05-11-2021, 01:28 PM
Sadly, nothing is going to change as long as she is head coach. 12 all-Americans wouldn’t make a difference with her as coach. She has completely destroyed a top 5 program in less than a year and if you can’t see that then you must be sitting by her on the bench.

jdelta02
05-11-2021, 02:03 PM
Not so fast...
Coach McCray-Penson was the 2019-2020 Conference USA Coach Of The Year. at Old Dominion. Also, was a key piece to South Carolina's 2015 Final 4 run, and their 2017 national championship while an assistant there. Getting more of her own players in place, adjustments, and players getting more familiar/experience with her system were big keys to her success at Old Dominion. Coach Schaefer's recruits were brought in for his system. These are mostly different talented players, being brought in specifically with her system in.mind....her players.
Old Dominion....
2017-18 (8-23)
2018-19 (21-11)
2019-20 (24-3, C-USA Coach Of The Year)

Lets have this conversation over the next 2 seasons. Get back with this conversation during, and after next season...and beyond.

Rex54
05-11-2021, 03:18 PM
Lets have this conversation over the next 2 seasons. Get back with this conversation during, and after next season...and beyond.

Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen.

KB21
05-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen.

I can't believe there are actually fans who truly believe she will keep her job after the up coming season. It's going to be a freaking disaster of a season.

Rex54
05-11-2021, 03:33 PM
I can't believe there are actually fans who truly believe she will keep her job after the up coming season. It's going to be a freaking disaster of a season.

I was referring to trying to discuss the sport in general, but correct.

basedog
05-11-2021, 04:11 PM
As far as the locker room, Vic had way more problems dealing with what he had too versus Penson not controlling. Problem was solved by the time Penson took over and things got way worse for different reasons.

jdelta02
05-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Gloom and doom, sky is falling, pending doom folks..laying on the tracks trying to stop the train. We definitely see you..

Irondawg
05-11-2021, 05:35 PM
I wasn?t super impressed with Brooks in the first place but was giving the benefit of the doubt.

I?m usually against this strategy but I?d hire the one that can bring a solid post player with them somehow and then if they can?t coach at all try it again the next year.

99jc
05-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Not so fast...
Coach McCray-Penson was the 2019-2020 Conference USA Coach Of The Year. at Old Dominion. Also, was a key piece to South Carolina's 2015 Final 4 run, and their 2017 national championship while an assistant there. Getting more of her own players in place, adjustments, and players getting more familiar/experience with her system were big keys to her success at Old Dominion. Coach Schaefer's recruits were brought in for his system. These are mostly different talented players, being brought in specifically with her system in.mind....her players.
Old Dominion....
2017-18 (8-23)
2018-19 (21-11)
2019-20 (24-3, C-USA Coach Of The Year)

next 2 seasons your a damn idiot or NMP HERSELF.

KentuckyDawg13
05-11-2021, 05:49 PM
They have made their minds. Shouldn't be negating a good thread, but there are assholes everywhere in life.

This will be an interesting season, any idea on post players? I saw the juco threads, before they turned to a shit storm like this one.

Peace.

captaindog
05-11-2021, 06:22 PM
I wasn?t super impressed with Brooks in the first place but was giving the benefit of the doubt.

I?m usually against this strategy but I?d hire the one that can bring a solid post player with them somehow and then if they can?t coach at all try it again the next year.

Of the two hires the coach from Arizona was much more impressive. However I was willing to see regarding Coach Brooks.

Turfdawg67
05-11-2021, 07:29 PM
next 2 seasons your a damn idiot or NMP HERSELF.

Says the guy that has viciously ripped our baseball team all year... until recently, wonder why? And if you are gonna call someone an "idiot", you moron, it's "you're ... not your"

99jc
05-11-2021, 09:34 PM
Says the guy that has viciously ripped our baseball team all year... until recently, wonder why? And if you are gonna call someone an "idiot", you moron, it's "you're ... not your"

go 16 your sister

Quaoarsking
05-11-2021, 09:42 PM

I don't "truly believe she will" earn a 3rd year, but we weren't so bad in this past year that it's outside the realm of possibility. Let's keep thing in perspective. The men's team (that we were all pretty happy with and think has a bright future ahead) had 5 losses worse than the women's team's worst loss by NET rankings.

KB21
05-11-2021, 09:52 PM
I don't "truly believe she will" earn a 3rd year, but we weren't so bad in this past year that it's outside the realm of possibility. Let's keep thing in perspective. The men's team (that we were all pretty happy with and think has a bright future ahead) had 5 losses worse than the women's team's worst loss by NET rankings.

The men?s team wasn?t coming off the success the women?s team has had over the previous four years and didn?t return the majority of its contributors from a 27 win team like the women?s team did.

jdelta02
05-11-2021, 10:16 PM
Gloom and doom, sky is falling, pending doom folks..laying on the tracks trying to stop the train. We definitely see you..

This

Rex54
05-11-2021, 10:18 PM
This

Did you just quote your own post with a "this"? I believe it was implied you believe "this" when you initially posted.

Rex54
05-11-2021, 10:19 PM
Did you just quote your own post with a "this"? I believe it was implied you believe "this" when you initially posted.

This

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2021, 11:05 PM

I've said it plenty of times already but judge her going forward and not from last year with the stopping and starting of play due to Covid, plus her being a new coach with players she didn't recruit. Everyone keeps saying how talented we were last year but were we really that talented? Other than Rickea and Jessica Carter who was setting the world on fire consistently in that group? Even under Vic? Matharu showed a few flashes, so did Hayes a few games but no one really impressed me other than who I mentioned. I'm still supporting the program because I understand how hard it is to replace someone like Vic...and if we look anything close to how we did this past year I'll say we need to move on too.

KB21
05-12-2021, 12:08 AM
I've said it plenty of times already but judge her going forward and not from last year with the stopping and starting of play due to Covid, plus her being a new coach with players she didn't recruit. Everyone keeps saying how talented we were last year but were we really that talented? Other than Rickea and Jessica Carter who was setting the world on fire consistently in that group? Even under Vic? Matharu showed a few flashes, so did Hayes a few games but no one really impressed me other than who I mentioned. I'm still supporting the program because I understand how hard it is to replace someone like Vic...and if we look anything close to how we did this past year I'll say we need to move on too.

Yes. This team was very talented. It’s evident by who picked up the players after they transferred. Here’s the thing though. Two years ago, this was a very young team under Vic. Rickea was a true freshman. Jessika was a sophomore. Xaria was a sophomore. Alliyah and Jamaya were both true freshmen. Jordan Danberry was the only upper class man that was really contributing much to that team. Rickea and Jessika were the leading scorers. With a very freshman and sophomore heavy line up, Vic won 27 games. The team would have been a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament. This program returned almost all of its rotation players from that team.

Covid is an excuse that gets used for NMP a lot. Covid isn’t the reason NMP doesn’t have a set offense or defense. Covid isn’t the reason players didn’t improve as the season went along under NMP. Covid isn’t the reason the team was unprepared to play game in and game out. Covid isn’t the reason there was no accountability.

What does it matter that she will now supposedly have “her” recruits if she continues to run the same 5 out offense that has no motion, back screens, on the ball screens, or does anything to get good shots for its players?

By keeping her another year, we are effectively making the job less attractive when it comes time to replace her. And now whoever takes the job is going to have to deal with Sherry and Arnett Hayes, who will dictate to Nikki that everything needs to be catered to the Hayes sisters on this team.

captaindog
05-12-2021, 12:53 AM
Yes. This team was very talented. It’s evident by who picked up the players after they transferred. Here’s the thing though. Two years ago, this was a very young team under Vic. Rickea was a true freshman. Jessika was a sophomore. Xaria was a sophomore. Alliyah and Jamaya were both true freshmen. Jordan Danberry was the only upper class man that was really contributing much to that team. Rickea and Jessika were the leading scorers. With a very freshman and sophomore heavy line up, Vic won 27 games. The team would have been a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament. This program returned almost all of its rotation players from that team.

Covid is an excuse that gets used for NMP a lot. Covid isn’t the reason NMP doesn’t have a set offense or defense. Covid isn’t the reason players didn’t improve as the season went along under NMP. Covid isn’t the reason the team was unprepared to play game in and game out. Covid isn’t the reason there was no accountability.

What does it matter that she will now supposedly have “her” recruits if she continues to run the same 5 out offense that has no motion, back screens, on the ball screens, or does anything to get good shots for its players?

By keeping her another year, we are effectively making the job less attractive when it comes time to replace her. And now whoever takes the job is going to have to deal with Sherry and Arnett Hayes, who will dictate to Nikki that everything needs to be catered to the Hayes sisters on this team.

Other than to add that in hindsight Chloe Bibby ended up being a pretty significant loss, this fairly well sums up the situation. However she is the coach whether I think she is the best fit or not. Therefore I?m going to hope she builds on what has been a good offseason to date and a good track record in the past.

basedog
05-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Let's just hope Penson learns from "her" mistakes, it's so much crap about how the players weren't talented and this Covid thingy. If one can truly Coach then they should be able to adjust to the players on what they can do until they get what some are saying "she needs her players" We are fixing to see but I will say I hope she does well but I will be on the sideline watching and pull for Msu. I'm just not sold on what I saw as this past year was a total collapse with no effort, hustle or improvement.

sonof34
05-12-2021, 08:34 AM
The same folks bashing NMP are the same ones on their knees for Leach...similar situation similar results...but it?s ok for Leach to get his players and rid out the toxic ones but apparently not for NMP

KB21
05-12-2021, 10:16 AM
The same folks bashing NMP are the same ones on their knees for Leach...similar situation similar results...but it?s ok for Leach to get his players and rid out the toxic ones but apparently not for NMP

They aren't even remotely similar situations. Leach didn't inherit a top 10 team. Leach inherited a team that was spiraling downward and had a bad culture. NMP inherited a team that was capable of winning now and eroded that culture.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2021, 11:22 AM
I've said this exact same thing before. Leach gets the pass but she didn't. Half this board hoped she failed before her 1st game she coached.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Yes. This team was very talented. It?s evident by who picked up the players after they transferred. Here?s the thing though. Two years ago, this was a very young team under Vic. Rickea was a true freshman. Jessika was a sophomore. Xaria was a sophomore. Alliyah and Jamaya were both true freshmen. Jordan Danberry was the only upper class man that was really contributing much to that team. Rickea and Jessika were the leading scorers. With a very freshman and sophomore heavy line up, Vic won 27 games. The team would have been a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament. This program returned almost all of its rotation players from that team.

Covid is an excuse that gets used for NMP a lot. Covid isn?t the reason NMP doesn?t have a set offense or defense. Covid isn?t the reason players didn?t improve as the season went along under NMP. Covid isn?t the reason the team was unprepared to play game in and game out. Covid isn?t the reason there was no accountability.

What does it matter that she will now supposedly have ?her? recruits if she continues to run the same 5 out offense that has no motion, back screens, on the ball screens, or does anything to get good shots for its players?

Two years ago, Bibby, Andra and Danberry were still there and played alot of those minutes. Of the new girls Rickea had the most impact and Matharu came on some late. I'm not bashing any of them on paper, yes they were all highly ranked.. but what have we really seen Yemiah Morris, Cooks, Mingo, Matharu and Wiggins really do?? When we lost Bibby, Danberry and those girls we lost alot. So for people to keep saying she took over this great team are somewhat over exaggerating. There are very few coaches that can come in and take a program built like Vic built ours, and hit the ground running without missing a step. She deserves one more year with the girls she recruits to run her fast paced style to see how good she can be.

sonof34
05-12-2021, 12:37 PM
They aren't even remotely similar situations. Leach didn't inherit a top 10 team. Leach inherited a team that was spiraling downward and had a bad culture. NMP inherited a team that was capable of winning now and eroded that culture.

May not have been top 10 but it was damn sure better than a 4 win team which he accomplished. And that women?s locker room was in a downward spiral even with Vic...the saving grace last year was danberry and her leadership...and from the multiple stories I?ve heard NMP inherited a shit show regardless of talent

captaindog
05-12-2021, 12:45 PM

Respectfully how is it similar at all? Coach Moorhead had the team on a fast downward trajectory when Coach Leach took over. Coach Schaefer was 13-3 in conference and runner up to South Carolina for the SEC Tournament. Further, he was in the championship game of the SEC Tournament five straight years. Coach McCray-Penson went 5-7 in conference and got put out Thursday by LSU.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2021, 01:29 PM

Ok so are you and the rest of the NMP bashers going to support her, the new team and coaching staff or still continue to come on here and bash? You all know and understand 1 season as the new coach, replacing an historically great coach at any respective program is very tough.

ZedFedder
05-12-2021, 02:29 PM
Ok so are you and the rest of the NMP bashers going to support her, the new team and coaching staff or still continue to come on here and bash? You all know and understand 1 season as the new coach, replacing an historically great coach at any respective program is very tough.

If she does really well this season then I think almost everyone will support her. But it’s obvious she has a whole lot to prove.

Irondawg
05-12-2021, 03:05 PM
Yep we will know soon enough if it?s time to start the coaching search board or not.

Even Rick Ray got that effort was required.

We didn?t give much last year so when games start it will be evident if she?s got any shot at a 3rd season or not

KB21
05-12-2021, 04:23 PM
May not have been top 10 but it was damn sure better than a 4 win team which he accomplished. And that women?s locker room was in a downward spiral even with Vic...the saving grace last year was danberry and her leadership...and from the multiple stories I?ve heard NMP inherited a shit show regardless of talent

The idea that the locker room was a mess under Vic is another fabricated reason to absolve NMP of any responsibility for the program's downturn. You will have a hard time convincing me that the locker room was bad when Vic is winning 27 games overall and 13 in conference with these players. Vic was also phasing Chloe and AEH out of the rotation with Alliyah and Xaria getting more responsibility.

captaindog
05-12-2021, 05:01 PM
The idea that the locker room was a mess under Vic is another fabricated reason to absolve NMP of any responsibility for the program's downturn. You will have a hard time convincing me that the locker room was bad when Vic is winning 27 games overall and 13 in conference with these players. Vic was also phasing Chloe and AEH out of the rotation with Alliyah and Xaria getting more responsibility.

In fairness Coach Schaefer even talked openly about the difficulties and attitudes. He suspended multiple players throughout the season (as did Coach McCray-Penson). The key is he still won 27 games total and 13 in conference. Losing Danberry and Bibby was a factor but I can?t fathom it would be that big a factor. Bottom line is she simply didn?t even meet the floor of the basement for what she should have done. Coach McCray-Penson has a lot to prove.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2021, 05:42 PM

Go back and watch some of the interviews Vic had when Rickea and that group were Freshman. He talked about attitude problems and some of the girls not buying in.. at one point a couple girls were late for a walk through before a game and if I remember right Rickea and one or two others got suspended for a game or two. There was definitely some tension going on

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2021, 07:32 PM
Go back and watch some of the interviews Vic had when Rickea and that group were Freshman. He talked about attitude problems and some of the girls not buying in.. at one point a couple girls were late for a walk through before a game and if I remember right Rickea and one or two others got suspended for a game or two. There was definitely some tension going on

If I recall correctly it wasn't a couple of girls, it was most of the team that didn't show up for a walk thru. Not late - didn't show.

So yeah, Vic had some issues. But, he found a way to check them. But, if you top those same issues with a coach they didn't come here to play for - you can end up with a train wreck real fast, and we did.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2021, 08:40 PM
If I recall correctly it wasn't a couple of girls, it was most of the team that didn't show up for a walk thru. Not late - didn't show.

So yeah, Vic had some issues. But, he found a way to check them. But, if you top those same issues with a coach they didn't come here to play for - you can end up with a train wreck real fast, and we did.

You are absolutely right! And I'm not saying Coach NMP is the savior, who knows??? but she brought in a pretty dang good class. And I hope she adds another Big to it and can make something happen for our program

CadaverDawg
05-12-2021, 11:19 PM

No, not even close. The ones bashing NMP are the same ones that were bashing Jo Mo when it was as plain as day that no "getting his players" was going to change the fact that he wasn't the guy for the job. You don't take a team full of big time players and fail like NMP did because "you didn't have your players", just like you don't take a #1 defense in the country and fail like JoMo did because "he didn't have the players to run his offense". She's not the answer, and the only reason Cohen hasn't been hammered into making a change is because people care less about women's hoops than football, and the men's team is getting better, and everyone has accepted we missed our opportunity with Vic and we will never be that close again. There, I said it.

Ari Gold
05-13-2021, 06:23 AM
No, not even close. The ones bashing NMP are the same ones that were bashing Jo Mo when it was as plain as day that no "getting his players" was going to change the fact that he wasn't the guy for the job. You don't take a team full of big time players and fail like NMP did because "you didn't have your players", just like you don't take a #1 defense in the country and fail like JoMo did because "he didn't have the players to run his offense". She's not the answer, and the only reason Cohen hasn't been hammered into making a change is because people care less about women's hoops than football, and the men's team is getting better, and everyone has accepted we missed our opportunity with Vic and we will never be that close again. There, I said it.

As pretty close to a mic drop as u can get..

KB21
05-13-2021, 08:51 AM

This.