BrunswickDawg
05-10-2021, 01:59 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2021/seconly.pdf

File under "this is why you let the season play out"

Interesting MSU stats
7th in Team AVG - .263
4th in Team ERA - 4.27
6th in OBP - .357
1st in HBP -33 (I think half of those are Rowdey)
Fewest k's by Batters -180 (lead by 21 fewer K's)
Most K's by pitchers - 290 (lead by 21)
2nd in fewest Hits allowed - 187

Tanner Allen 1st in AVG (.406), 2nd in SLUG (.729), 2nd in OBP (.487), 2nd in Hits (39), 1st in 3B's (4), 2nd in RBI's (27), 2nd in Total Bases, Tied for 1st with Rowdey in HBP (9)

Rowdey Jordan 11th in AVG (.344), 15th in SLG (.581), 3rd in OBP (.479), 1st in Runs (29), 12th in Hits (32), tied for 1st in HBP (9)

MacLeod 12th in ERA (3.48), 9th in OBA (.208), 14th in K's (41), 11th in fewest runs allowed (17)
Bednar 13th in OBA (.236), 3rd in K's (66), 4th in W's (4).
Neither are in the Top 13 of Innings Pitched.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 02:06 PM
somebody needs to splain' these stats. is Billy Bean runnin' things or something? so we lead by a wide margin regarding our pitchers striking out batters and we have a wide margin lead on our batters NOT striking out? that's the difference that puts us at a high level regarding W/L while being only slightly better than average with other stats?

Saltydog
05-10-2021, 03:59 PM
The pitching was good this weekened, for the most part, but that era is not "elite".

StarkVegasSteve
05-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Tanner Allen is making a REALLY strong case for SEC POY at this point.

Saltydog
05-10-2021, 04:15 PM
Think he needs to get his Hr's up just a bit but yeah he should definitely be in the discussion at this point.

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 04:20 PM
The pitching was good this weekened, for the most part, but that era is not "elite".

What do you consider elite? Vandy is at 3.84, it’s close and they are missing a game so that could change some either way.

Johnson85
05-10-2021, 04:21 PM
somebody needs to splain' these stats. is Billy Bean runnin' things or something? so we lead by a wide margin regarding our pitchers striking out batters and we have a wide margin lead on our batters NOT striking out? that's the difference that puts us at a high level regarding W/L while being only slightly better than average with other stats?

A couple of other thoughts on why our record might look better than our individual stats:

Even though our 1/2 punch doesn't look that impressive, because Vandy, Ark, and even UM have strong 1/2 punches, we've still got two pitchers better than the best starting pitcher on 7 teams in the league.
Not sure if this is true, but possibly MacLeod and Bednar have been good when they're on, and really bad when they're not, and so those bad nights hurt their stats a lot while not costing many L's?
Similarly, Sims is probably worth a few wins without his pitching stats counting a lot towards our team aveages. The first time we have a lead late in an SEC weekend, we're going to get a win out of it. But that doesn't do a ton for team pitching stats because he's been used sparingly, so he moves the needle a lot with those limited innings.

Other than that, yes, it would appear to be some billy bean type stuff going on somewhere where we are maybe undervaluing some stats.

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 04:43 PM
A couple of other thoughts on why our record might look better than our individual stats:

Even though our 1/2 punch doesn't look that impressive, because Vandy, Ark, and even UM have strong 1/2 punches, we've still got two pitchers better than the best starting pitcher on 7 teams in the league.
Not sure if this is true, but possibly MacLeod and Bednar have been good when they're on, and really bad when they're not, and so those bad nights hurt their stats a lot while not costing many L's?
Similarly, Sims is probably worth a few wins without his pitching stats counting a lot towards our team aveages. The first time we have a lead late in an SEC weekend, we're going to get a win out of it. But that doesn't do a ton for team pitching stats because he's been used sparingly, so he moves the needle a lot with those limited innings.

Other than that, yes, it would appear to be some billy bean type stuff going on somewhere where we are maybe undervaluing some stats.

Our pitching as a whole is second in both opp BAVG and extra base hits allowed. We are also really good at holding teams with RISP. I would be interested to see what our staff’s FIP is and how that might also be a part of the reason the ERA may be a little higher than the actual pitching is giving us.

Ari Gold
05-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Hey Momma McCants,
Wouldn’t it be great to watch both your sons play together?..
Make this happen..

And yes TA should be in the running and ( IMO) should win POY IF it goes to a position player.. as of today

parabrave
05-10-2021, 04:50 PM

Yep but I think a pitcher from Vandy will get it because of all the media attn. BTW Pitchers should be kept out of POY consideration.

Homedawg
05-10-2021, 04:51 PM

Even though our 1/2 punch doesn't look that impressive, because Vandy, Ark, and even UM HAD strong 1/2 punches, we've still got two pitchers better than the best starting pitcher on 7 teams in the league.

FIFY OLE MISS HAD a strong 1, 2 punch..... no more. Hate it for the kid though.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 05:28 PM
Our pitching as a whole is second in both opp BAVG and extra base hits allowed. We are also really good at holding teams with RISP. I would be interested to see what our staff’s FIP is and how that might also be a part of the reason the ERA may be a little higher than the actual pitching is giving us.

Good Stuff Johnson and Clark, makes sense. I think the bottom line is that we just may be as gooda' coached team there is right now.

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 06:20 PM
12th in fielding. 2nd in DPs hit into.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 06:24 PM

Damn, the fielding and DPs hit into owes a debt; pitching?

Cowbell
05-10-2021, 06:26 PM

The eternal pessimist

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 06:35 PM
The eternal pessimist

Just telling you what I've said since day one. We can't field it and we've got to get bats in the lineup where possible. The defense can't be fixed. The hitting can improve with a couple guys like Clark and Cumbest hitting. Cumbest struggled this weekend some, but he's the best option. We're stuck with James at 3B. Hancock will have to hold down 1B.
Shitty defense has been the reason for a lot of our losses. The lineup got us with Hatcher, Leggett, Skinner in there.

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 06:42 PM

We even the double plays out though by being second in turning them and a net positive +6.

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Just telling you what I've said since day one. We can't field it and we've got to get bats in the lineup where possible. The defense can't be fixed. The hitting can improve with a couple guys like Clark and Cumbest hitting. Cumbest struggled this weekend some, but he's the best option. We're stuck with James at 3B. Hancock will have to hold down 1B.
Shitty defense has been the reason for a lot of our losses. The lineup got us with Hatcher, Leggett, Skinner in there.

I don’t think we lost a game with Leggett at 3rd. I know we won 5 in a row until the change Sunday.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 07:16 PM

Fornicate this defeatest bullshit. We are Sports God's Favorites at the Moment. Enjoy Sports God's Hard on while he maintains it. We are DEVIL DOGS!!!

This is one of many examples of what Sport's God has been doing for us lately. We are Badasses NOW!! Cherish the MOMENT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWH-CsglW0c

BrunswickDawg
05-10-2021, 07:20 PM

<poot noises>

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 07:45 PM
I don’t think we lost a game with Leggett at 3rd. I know we won 5 in a row until the change Sunday.

Leggett's bat won't get it done IMO. Is his defense going to offset that? That's the decision. Cam can DH. But Clark might be the best option with Cam staying at 3B.

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 07:46 PM
Fornicate this defeatest bullshit. We are Sports God's Favorites at the Moment. Enjoy Sports God's Hard on while he maintains it. We are DEVIL DOGS!!!

This is one of many examples of what Sport's God has been doing for us lately. We are Badasses NOW!! Cherish the MOMENT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWH-CsglW0c

Just telling what I think we need to do to win the whole damn thing. I'm not worried about winning a damn regional or super. It's CWS or bust. Should be every year.

R2Dawg
05-10-2021, 07:57 PM

Agree. He is a monster and a player no pitcher wants to see at the plate.

BeardoMSU
05-10-2021, 08:00 PM
FIFY OLE MISS HAD a strong 1, 2 punch..... no more. Hate it for the kid though.

I haven't seen anything definitive on Hoglund yet. Have you?

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Leggett's bat won't get it done IMO. Is his defense going to offset that? That's the decision. Cam can DH. But Clark might be the best option with Cam staying at 3B.

Oh there are not any good solutions or it would have already been done obviously. I think I would have left the lineup as it was for Sunday to see if runs are really as good as the previous 4 SEC games averaged. 7.75 per game with 9 both USCe games on Friday and Sat. They are a solid pitching team. Leggett wasn’t the offensive catalyst, by no means do I mean that and we knew he would hit the wall, K a lot. Sometimes though a certain lineup just gels better and scores more. It’s close, the defensive numbers are a good bit better with Leggett at 3rd but it definitely puts 3 guys who can K a lot at your 7, 8, 9 and all three RH bats. Love Clark’s swing and potential, he really needs AB’s though if we go that route.

R2Dawg
05-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Yep but I think a pitcher from Vandy will get it because of all the media attn. BTW Pitchers should be kept out of POY consideration.

I agree, they play 5-7 innings a week while position players play them all. Need to separate out from pitchers.

Ari Gold
05-10-2021, 08:25 PM

Actually Sunday Cumbest got us... bases loaded 1 out and he fouls out to first.

Skinner against RH
Cumbest against LH

I would love to see Mules numbers against quality pitching.. if there is a right handed with above average stuff on the bump, Mule is about as much of a threat as a MLB pitcher at the plate.. basically none

And Skinner little to no chance against a lefty.

So mix and match those guys accordingly

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Just telling what I think we need to do to win the whole damn thing. I'm not worried about winning a damn regional or super. It's CWS or bust. Should be every year.

Luck always comes into play in all levels of baseball at the championship level. We are now relying on NO Luck. It will take LUCK for others to defeat us at this point. WE are the Badasses right now. Deal with it.

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 09:13 PM
Luck always comes into play in all levels of baseball at the championship level. We are now relying on NO Luck. It will take LUCK for others to defeat us at this point. WE are the Badasses right now. Deal with it.

You make your own luck.

Really Clark?
05-10-2021, 09:19 PM
You make your own luck.

"The harder I practise, the luckier I get." Gary Player

Cooterpoot
05-10-2021, 09:24 PM

Skinner against RH
Cumbest against LH

I would love to see Mules numbers against quality pitching.. if there is a right handed with above average stuff on the bump, Mule is about as much of a threat as a MLB pitcher at the plate.. basically none

Cumbest was better vs RH pitching than left last time I checked. Granted, that was a week or so ago. I was surprised. Skinner isn't much of a hitter.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 09:37 PM
"The harder I practise, the luckier I get." Gary Player

Not doubting you at all but when I was a teenager back in the late 70's, I motocross raced a YZ 80 Yamaha, wasn't that good but I DID do it; one of a few of my favorites, I think it was Marty Smith who rode the CR125 Honda Elsinore said the same thing about practice. Hurricane Bob Hannah rode the yamahs back then, he may have been the one. At ant rate, constant practice indeed creates more luck, no doubt about it.

Homedawg
05-10-2021, 10:05 PM

No. If we won't to win kam has to play third. And play it at a decent level. Legget and cumbest and forsythe in the back 3 is a huge k rate that won't work offensively. We k enough guys that we can play w kam at third.

Homedawg
05-10-2021, 10:06 PM
I haven't seen anything definitive on Hoglund yet. Have you?

Every sign points to ucl. Even spirit is saying it

Homedawg
05-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Cumbest was better vs RH pitching than left last time I checked. Granted, that was a week or so ago. I was surprised. Skinner isn't much of a hitter.

They are the same guy except skinner has less pop. Huge k rate. I'd start cumbest but mix and match depending on matchup.

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 10:10 PM
somebody splain Cumbest's batting average vs at bats. I'll hang up and listen

TNDawg35
05-11-2021, 12:01 AM
They are the same guy except skinner has less pop. Huge k rate. I'd start cumbest but mix and match depending on matchup.

Why not give McDonald a shot. Hell he has been tearing the ball up from looking at stats...

Really Clark?
05-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Why not give McDonald a shot. Hell he has been tearing the ball up from looking at stats...

That’s very limited action vs weak teams. Against strong pitching you would see that average dive. Same thing was being said about Leggett and many knew that SEC pitching was going to change his fortunes.

Saltydog
05-11-2021, 10:34 AM

Skinner against RH
Cumbest against LH

Yes, yes, yes?These guys should rotate depending on the matchup?..

Cooterpoot
05-11-2021, 10:59 AM

Skinner is hitting .181 in his last 22 ABs. They're not the same.

FISHDAWG
05-11-2021, 11:13 AM

Legget didn't come into the game until the 9th inning Sunday... presumably for defense. But he didn't have a very good weekend at the plate

StarkVegasSteve
05-11-2021, 11:49 AM

In conference play he's batting .277 with 6 RBIs and 10K's. Basically striking out every 3.5 ABs. Not great, but we're not going to get any better by putting Skinner out there. Skinner is faster, but Brad provides more pop if he can run into one and I think we'd rather have power in the bottom third of our lineup since we already have Dubrule and Forsythe down there for speed.

Rex54
05-11-2021, 11:50 AM
think the bottom line is that we just may be as gooda' coached team there is right now.

Can you learn how to type in the English language?

Rex54
05-11-2021, 11:55 AM

Don't be retarded. Fielding percentage is pretty unreliable as an actual metric of ability. And as far as DP goes, you actually have to have people get on base to do that. For the most part the trends are more DP's hit into for the better offensive teams and less DP's hit into for the weaker offensive teams.

Homedawg
05-11-2021, 12:21 PM
Legget didn't come into the game until the 9th inning Sunday... presumably for defense. But he didn't have a very good weekend at the plate

No Legget came in and made the throwing error the inning before. Hatcher didn't enter til the 9th.

Homedawg
05-11-2021, 12:24 PM

I said i'd start Cumbest. They both have holes. Cumbest went 1 for the weekend and looked bad, really bad.

Ari Gold
05-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Look who skinner faced during that 1-22 ..arguably 4 of the top 5 pitchers in The league
Again there isn?t any difference except for the power.. I guess..

Really Clark?
05-11-2021, 12:53 PM
Look who skinner faced during that 1-22 ..arguably 4 of the top 5 pitchers in The league
Again there isn?t any difference except for the power.. I guess..

It?s not a good argument since he went from .225 season avg from the second game at Auburn to .214 today. It?s been long stretch of him hitting about the same. Heck he went 0-2 against Citadel.

Since start of league play Brad has gone from .346 to just .338 and people forget he went 4-7 vs Arkansas to open the season in our first home series. It?s a big difference in production between them

ETA. If you take away Skinners hit totals from the OM and Vandy series he would be hitting .226 instead of .214. If Brad hit identical to Skinner (which is your assertion) he would be at .310 right now. Not close to same.

Coach34
05-11-2021, 01:19 PM
I don?t think we lost a game with Leggett at 3rd. I know we won 5 in a row until the change Sunday.

Leggett?s error opened the door Sunday. And he gives us nothing at the plate

Really Clark?
05-11-2021, 01:27 PM
Leggett?s error opened the door Sunday. And he gives us nothing at the plate

I don’t think we have lost a game with Leggett starting at 3rd. Your statement doesn’t change that. His error was in the 8th and didn’t effect the score at all.

We are 12-1 overall when he starts. Many of us said he was going to get ate up in league play hitting with a lot of K’s but that doesn’t change that our runs was higher in his 4 recent league starts. Way too Small sample size but would liked to run that same line up on Sunday to see.

Coach34
05-11-2021, 02:02 PM
That right- we got out of the jam he created.

It’s a tough call for Lemon. Leggett’s not going to hit but will be more consistent at 3B than James
Cumbest is probably a better option in LF overall than Skinner- but he is going to K at a rate higher than what we would like.
Hatcher can’t hit HS pitching right now- but good grief Hancock is below average at 1st. Dropping a throw in the air Saturday is absolutely awful.
Clark had some good swings Sunday- but him playing pushes James on the field. I’ve wondered about us moving James to 1st. He can’t be any worse than Hancock over there.

Santiago
05-11-2021, 02:10 PM
Hey Momma McCants,
Wouldn?t it be great to watch both your sons play together?..
Make this happen..

And yes TA should be in the running and ( IMO) should win POY IF it goes to a position player.. as of today

McCants playing together, as in at MSU? Yes, please.

Homedawg
05-11-2021, 02:26 PM
I don’t think we have lost a game with Leggett starting at 3rd. Your statement doesn’t change that. His error was in the 8th and didn’t effect the score at all.

We are 12-1 overall when he starts. Many of us said he was going to get ate up in league play hitting with a lot of K’s but that doesn’t change that our runs was higher in his 4 recent league starts. Way too Small sample size but would liked to run that same line up on Sunday to see.

Batting Legget-cumbest(or skinner ) -Forsythe is putting 3 guys w huge k rates all back to back. Legget doesn't need to start. We just have to take the bad of james w the good.

Really Clark?
05-11-2021, 02:35 PM
That right- we got out of the jam he created.

It’s a tough call for Lemon. Leggett’s not going to hit but will be more consistent at 3B than James
Cumbest is probably a better option in LF overall than Skinner- but he is going to K at a rate higher than what we would like.
Hatcher can’t hit HS pitching right now- but good grief Hancock is below average at 1st. Dropping a throw in the air Saturday is absolutely awful.
Clark had some good swings Sunday- but him playing pushes James on the field. I’ve wondered about us moving James to 1st. He can’t be any worse than Hancock over there.

It really is a tough call, trying solve one issue creates another or two.

I’ve thought about James at first as well but that doesn’t help change the line up. If, and this is a big if, Clark can quickly get consistent at the plate, him at first, Cam at 3rd, Hancock DH, has the potential of a stronger line-up and shores up first. Leggett can always come in late at 3rd for defense and you are not removing both your 3 and 4 hole hitters out of the lineup in case it goes extra innings like Sunday.

I don’t change the OF at all, Brad is the best option.

Really Clark?
05-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Batting Legget-cumbest(or skinner ) -Forsythe is putting 3 guys w huge k rates all back to back. Legget doesn't need to start. We just have to take the bad of james w the good.

I see that line of thinking and it may end up being our best option, it’s not any easy fixes. Without a bigger sample size it’s hard to know for sure but there is compelling data that shows Leggett starting at third is giving us better margins to win more games. Again, I can see your point and James playing better defense at third is a great answer to our problem. I can’t justify it completely but I also don’t like our 8, 9 make up either with Leggett and Forsythe. Brad k rate is an issue but overall he is hitting well enough and the defense is good so I’m fine with him at 7.