PDA

View Full Version : Our path to an SEC championship: A Breakdown

KOdawg1
05-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Even though I have a bad taste in my mouth, we did what we needed to do this weekend. We're currently 16-8 and 4th in the SEC standings behind Arkansas (17-7), Tennessee (17-7), and Vandy (16-7). There's still a realistic path to win it, but it's not as easy as it would've been with a W today. Here is what's remaining:

Mississippi State- Mizzou (5-19), @Bama (11-12)

Arkansas- @Tennessee (17-7), Florida (15-9)

Tennessee- Arkansas (17-7), @South Carolina (12-12)

Vandy- @OM (14-10), Kentucky (11-13)

We by far have the easiest remaining schedule of these four teams. The good news is Arkansas and Tennessee will likely eliminate the other from contention. Arkansas also has UF for the final series which will be tough. I could see them losing 2, maybe 3 more games. Tennessee will end up losing 2 or 3 more games. We actually need to root for OM to win one from Vandy. They're only half a game ahead of us, so a one game swing would put us ahead of them outright. Ultimately, it'll come down to what we do in the last 6. If we go 5-1, we likely at least tie. I think 6-0 would give it to us outright, but that's easier said than done. Should be a fun two weeks.

Oh, and yes, I'm aware the goal is to be a national seed and get to Omaha, but I don't see why we can't collect some hardware on the way there.

R2Dawg
05-09-2021, 06:00 PM
I agree. If you can win the SEC regular season you do it. SECT is a different story. Play for Omaha in SECT, set yourself up for Omaha run in Hoover.

Todd4State
05-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Even though I have a bad taste in my mouth, we did what we needed to do this weekend. We're currently 16-8 and 4th in the SEC standings behind Arkansas (17-7), Tennessee (17-7), and Vandy (16-7). There's still a realistic path to win it, but it's not as easy as it would've been with a W today. Here is what's remaining:

Mississippi State- Mizzou (5-19), @Bama (11-12)

Arkansas- @Tennessee (17-7), Florida (15-9)

Tennessee- Arkansas (17-7), @South Carolina (12-12)

Vandy- @OM (14-10), Kentucky (11-13)

We by far have the easiest remaining schedule of these four teams. The good news is Arkansas and Tennessee will likely eliminate the other from contention. Arkansas also has UF for the final series which will be tough. I could see them losing 2, maybe 3 more games. Tennessee will end up losing 2 or 3 more games. We actually need to root for OM to win one from Vandy. They're only half a game ahead of us, so a one game swing would put us ahead of them outright. Ultimately, it'll come down to what we do in the last 6. If we go 5-1, we likely at least tie. I think 6-0 would give it to us outright, but that's easier said than done. Should be a fun two weeks.

Oh, and yes, I'm aware the goal is to be a national seed and get to Omaha, but I don't see why we can't collect some hardware on the way there.

I actually don't have much of a problem pulling for Ole Miss over Vandy. Maybe Elko will hit a walk off against them.

msstate7
05-09-2021, 06:41 PM
I actually don't have much of a problem pulling for Ole Miss over Vandy. Maybe Elko will hit a walk off against them.

Absolutely.

CadaverDawg
05-09-2021, 06:51 PM
We need to sweep Mizzou. We sweep Mizzou and we will be in prime position to win the SEC on the last weekend

TNDawg35
05-10-2021, 04:54 AM
JUST. WIN. BABY.. 6-0 give us a 22-8 and ATLEAST a share. 5-1 and we need some help...

Best case is:

Ark 4-2
Tenn 4-2
Vandy 5-1
State 6-0

If we go 5-1 instead, us, Ark, and TN all tie at 21-9.

msstate7
05-10-2021, 08:15 AM
JUST. WIN. BABY.. 6-0 give us a 22-8 and ATLEAST a share. 5-1 and we need some help...

Best case is:

Ark 4-2
Tenn 4-2
Vandy 5-1
State 6-0

If we go 5-1 instead, us, Ark, and TN all tie at 21-9.

That's still a championship

FISHDAWG
05-10-2021, 01:32 PM
Good post KO ... those of us that don't follow as close as you guys do appreciate the synopsis... I've just now discovered the SEC + streaming and wished I knew about it earlier... still it's good to hear perspective from those who know more about it

OLJWales
05-10-2021, 02:11 PM
slight hijack, If we finish in the top 8, doesn't that mean we have regional home field advantage as long as we keep winning?

Hot Rock
05-10-2021, 02:39 PM
Sweep Missouri this weekend and I like their chances for sure.

So, who do your root for this weekend in the ARk/TN series. Ark will still have Florida but at home and TN will have to go to SC who are tougher in that park. Toss up for me, I will hope for a 2-1 split no matter who wins it.

Vandy can still drop one each vs OM and KY.

There is still a chance and dang good one with a sweep this weekend to get the title with a series win at Bama and not need a sweep there but it starts this Thursday. Just do it baby!