PDA

View Full Version : Brian McCann refused the Braves offer

FISHDAWG
11-12-2013, 09:23 AM
yesterday and will become a free agent .... no surprise here

TheRef
11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Welp...at least we have Laird and Gattis to fall back on.

I seen it dawg
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Go Sox

Political Hack
11-12-2013, 09:47 AM
shocker. wasn't the offer the minimum amount needed to get a compensation pick?

I don't think they really wanted to get in the bidding war.

TheRef
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Per MLB.com, Braves offered a 1-year, $14.1 Million contract. Brian refused.
Suspected interested teams: Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox
Suspected target contract: 5-year, $80 Million.

RBritt
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
McCann may have said, Brian McCann is now a free agent. Get me paid bitch! It's time to go to the bar and get shit hammered. Atlanta, you're ****ing out!

starkvegasdawg
11-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Per MLB.com, Braves offered a 1-year, $14.1 Million contract. Brian refused.
Suspected interested teams: Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox
Suspected target contract: 5-year, $80 Million.

What must it be like to turn down more money than most people see in a lifetime that was offered to you over the span of one year that you only have to work seven months for?

msstate7
11-12-2013, 11:40 AM
shocker. wasn't the offer the minimum amount needed to get a compensation pick?

I don't think they really wanted to get in the bidding war.

Exactly. Mccann's been a good brave, but I'm not gonna miss his .209 avg (.286 ops) in the post season. Good luck robbing someone McCann

bully99
11-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Still think there's a small chance he goes back to braves. As a catcher, he's an old 30. He's had injuries, weight problems, and eye problems, but as a son of a bulldog hopes he does well.

Bo Darville
11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
I like McCann. But sometimes letting these guys go is the smart move. The Cardinals let Pujols walk and the Angels will pay him until he is 41 years old. That is ancient in the post-steroid era. The Cardinals got 2 compensatory picks when Pujols left. One was used for Stephen Piscotty and the other was used for Michael Wacha.

The compensatory picks can be used to build for the future. Without the DH in the National League, McCann was going to be limited in games played as he continued to age. A tough move for the Braves to make, but probably the correct move. I could definitely see McCann in the American League where he can DH when he isn't catching.

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Still think there's a small chance he goes back to braves. As a catcher, he's an old 30. He's had injuries, weight problems, and eye problems, but as a son of a bulldog hopes he does well.

This is the big thing that's being overlooked. Mac has already been around a LONG time and has a lot of wear and tear on his knees. He'll be helped out by going to an AL club where he can DH part time, maybe even learn to play a little 1B to help keep the wear off of him. Regardless, he's going to wind up being wayyyy overpaid and be a bad contract for whoever signs him.

Personally, I'll be sad to see Mac go. He's been my favorite Brave for a long time other than Chipper & Smoltz. Plus he was groomed to be the face of the franchise and leader once Chipper retired. It'll be weird not seeing him on the team next season. But it's the right move to let him walk. The Braves already have enough bad contracts with Uggla & BJ. We also have to pay Freddie & J-Hey soon. Plus we have Gattis ready to play and Christian Bethancourt waiting in the wings. I'm guessing we'll keep Laird to have a veteran backup presence in case something goes wrong or El Oso Blanco and/or Bethancourt struggle. We also get an extra first round compensation pick out of it, so we get to add another young, talented player to the farm system. I'm hoping it'll be a legit bat, but the Braves love to draft pitchers in the early rounds, so who knows?

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I like McCann. But sometimes letting these guys go is the smart move. The Cardinals let Pujols walk and the Angels will pay him until he is 41 years old. That is ancient in the post-steroid era. The Cardinals got 2 compensatory picks when Pujols left. One was used for Stephen Piscotty and the other was used for Michael Wacha.

The compensatory picks can be used to build for the future. Without the DH in the National League, McCann was going to be limited in games played as he continued to age. A tough move for the Braves to make, but probably the correct move. I could definitely see McCann in the American League where he can DH when he isn't catching.

The DH is coming to the NL in the not-too-distant future. It's just a matter of time at this point. But you can't re-sign Mac in case it takes 10 years to actually happen.

MsStateBaseball
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
He needs an AL team. He will play C DH 1B. Knees are wearing down.

biscuit
11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
He and the Braves suck

bully99
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
The Twins announced Joe Mauer is moving to first base next year. He's about the same age as McCann. That's probably where Brian will end up, possibly with the Rangers replacing Mitch Moreland.

msstate7
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
He and the Braves suck
Watch your mouth

FISHDAWG
11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Watch your mouth

roger that ! - I would hate to see this thread locked *

dawgs
11-12-2013, 03:41 PM
He and the Braves suck

+1

but good move by the braves. any GM that is willing to sign him for anything near 5 years and $80M should be fired immediately.

msstate7
11-12-2013, 04:30 PM
+1

but good move by the braves. any GM that is willing to sign him for anything near 5 years and $80M should be fired immediately.

I can't lie. The braves do seem to choke when it matters most. Sort of like Oregon.

dawgs
11-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I can't lie. The braves do seem to choke when it matters most. Sort of like Oregon.

that's a low blow. at least give me a little longer to recover.

::has visions of fruitless trips into the redzone::

msstate7
11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
+1

Delete

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
The Twins announced Joe Mauer is moving to first base next year. He's about the same age as McCann. That's probably where Brian will end up, possibly with the Rangers replacing Mitch Moreland.

The Twins are rumored to be trying to get Jarrod Saltolamacchia. I've heard that the Giants are interested in McCann- which is weird.

If you are a Braves fan, be glad that your team offered him a qualifying offer. If someone signs him, you get an extra first round draft pick essentially should he go somewhere else.

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM

And now I hope the Cardinals can move Piscotty to help get Tulowitski.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2013, 06:57 PM
And now I hope the Cardinals can move Piscotty to help get Tulowitski.

Gonna take much more than Piscotty. In fact, I would be surprised if Piscotty was involved in that trade at all because he isn't a power guy and Colorado needs power guys.

To get Tulo, STL will have to give up some combination of 3 of the following players:

Wong, Taveras, Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller, Matt Adams, and Tim Cooney

bully99
11-12-2013, 07:01 PM
In the last couple of hours the Rockies gm said Tulo isn't going anywhere, fwiw. Rumor of a big trade between rangers and cards.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
In the last couple of hours the Rockies gm said Tulo isn't going anywhere, fwiw. Rumor of a big trade between rangers and cards.

The Rangers and Cardinals have to make a trade because they are the perfect match. The Cardinals have the most organizational depth of pitchers and the Rangers have the most organizational depth of position players, and both need more of what the other has.

Look for this trade to happen:

Cardinals get: Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar

Rangers get 2 of the following + Tyrell Jenkins: Matt Adams, Tim Cooney, Shelby Miller

BoomBoom
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
This is the big thing that's being overlooked. Mac has already been around a LONG time and has a lot of wear and tear on his knees. He'll be helped out by going to an AL club where he can DH part time, maybe even learn to play a little 1B to help keep the wear off of him. Regardless, he's going to wind up being wayyyy overpaid and be a bad contract for whoever signs him.

Personally, I'll be sad to see Mac go. He's been my favorite Brave for a long time other than Chipper & Smoltz. Plus he was groomed to be the face of the franchise and leader once Chipper retired. It'll be weird not seeing him on the team next season. But it's the right move to let him walk. The Braves already have enough bad contracts with Uggla & BJ. We also have to pay Freddie & J-Hey soon. Plus we have Gattis ready to play and Christian Bethancourt waiting in the wings. I'm guessing we'll keep Laird to have a veteran backup presence in case something goes wrong or El Oso Blanco and/or Bethancourt struggle. We also get an extra first round compensation pick out of it, so we get to add another young, talented player to the farm system. I'm hoping it'll be a legit bat, but the Braves love to draft pitchers in the early rounds, so who knows?

Laird signed a 2 yr contract before last season. With Gattis and Laird good to go, Bethancourt will get a full year in AAA that he probably needs. He didn't start hitting until the 2nd half last year in AA. Ideally he continues to hit and splits time with Gattis in 2015, then Gattis probably gets dealt to a an AL team. Money will be tight by then.

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Laird signed a 2 yr contract before last season. With Gattis and Laird good to go, Bethancourt will get a full year in AAA that he probably needs. He didn't start hitting until the 2nd half last year in AA. Ideally he continues to hit and splits time with Gattis in 2015, then Gattis probably gets dealt to a an AL team. Money will be tight by then.

Uggla's contract comes off the books in 2016, so that will be a big deal. I also look for us to try to deal BJ if someone will eat part of his contract. I don't think money will be a big issue with Gattis or Bethancourt that soon, anyway. It'll be a bigger deal in regards to J-Hey, Freddie, and Minor.

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Gonna take much more than Piscotty. In fact, I would be surprised if Piscotty was involved in that trade at all because he isn't a power guy and Colorado needs power guys.

To get Tulo, STL will have to give up some combination of 3 of the following players:

Wong, Taveras, Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller, Matt Adams, and Tim Cooney

I wasn't suggesting that the Cardinals trade Piscotty straight up for Tulo. The Rockies want a pitcher, a power hitter, and a prospect. Taveras is not getting traded. I can tell you that, nor is Martinez. Lance Lynn and Joe Kelly are also available. Kevin Seigriest is available in the "prospect" category.

I do not want to give up Miller.

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 10:12 PM

It's called negotiating. He's trying to get the Cardinals to give up more and overspend. All the while calming the fan base. If come out and say "hey, we are definitely trading __." you lose leverage.

The Cardinals are countering by talking to Texas so that they can tell Colorado- screw you, we'll just take Andrus and keep our prospects.

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 10:14 PM
The Rangers and Cardinals have to make a trade because they are the perfect match. The Cardinals have the most organizational depth of pitchers and the Rangers have the most organizational depth of position players, and both need more of what the other has.

Look for this trade to happen:

Cardinals get: Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar

Rangers get 2 of the following + Tyrell Jenkins: Matt Adams, Tim Cooney, Shelby Miller

I wouldn't say that they "have to". There is also Arizona and the free agent market.

Madkinmecrazy
11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Not surprising, but sad to see him go.